• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balehead

If you're still having trouble logging in delete Clientregistry.blob and try to launch steam again. It doesn't necessarily work on the first try so do it a couple of times, I tried twice and now steam is working quite well.

Sanic

If you're still having trouble logging in delete Clientregistry.blob and try to launch steam again. It doesn't necessarily work on the first try so do it a couple of times, I tried twice and now steam is working quite well.

Yep, this worked.

Anyone ever run into any issues with Steam achievements being very slow to pop (common) or not popping at all (rare -- the achievement unlocks I just don't get a pop up when this happens)? On another machine in the house they pop almost instantly.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Mark the 27th guys.

Serious Sam 3 BFE will be 66% off for 24h on getgamesgo.com -> 10$/€

Finally you will be mine Sam!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mark the 27th guys.

Serious Sam will be 66% off for 24h on getgamesgo.com -> 10$/€

Fantastic. I've been avoiding the game as I'd prefer to co-op it with a mate. (I assume "Serious Sam" is "Serious Sam 3".)

game is super fun. i am a huge mommy's best fan and they put together another fun little shooter. i would be all over that bundle if i didn't pick up double d and the random encounter during the winter sale.

Mark the 27th guys.

Serious Sam 3 BFE will be 66% off for 24h on getgamesgo.com -> 10$/€

this time i am going to pounce all over it. still kicking myself for hesitating during their last sale.

Derrick01

Banned
I would recommend medal of honor to anyone interested but keep in mind you're likely spending more money than it takes to beat the game. Takes about 4 hours to finish on normal, but it's a well done campaign.

Stay away from multiplayer though. It's awful, DICE mailed it in here.

C_H_T

Terrible short SP, nothing too amazing, hilarious diving mechanic which makes you slide everywhere I would avoid.

MP is bad from what I tried from the beta.

I played MoH on PS3, and the Multiplayer is pretty good. I'd describe the MP as something between Call of Duty and Battlefield. The MP is made by Dice, therefore it feels a bit more like Battlefield than CoD. Overall it was a great experience.

Sober

I thought SP was pretty fun even if it feels too by-the-books for some people, I think it's worth the price of admission. Didn't play MP though after everyone said to avoid it.

MOH is worth picking up at that price just for the SP. I had a good time playing through it and felt like the 10 bucks I payed for it was justified.

Woah something odd is happening. I got a 360 controller today, and I tested it out. Whenever I hit the X button the game I am in freezes until I unplug the controller.

What the hell is going on.

Actually it seems to freeze the game at certain parts. Like in Sonic Generations if I try to boost it freezes. If I try to use the homing attack it freezes.

Nymerio

Hmm been waiting for Medal of Honor for some time. Anyone interested in a trade?

I have Amnesia, Magicka, Dungeon Defenders, Frozen Synapse and L4D GOTY. I'd be willing to give 2 games for either Medal of Honor or Dustforce

PM if Interested!

Edit: Got Medal of Honor thanks to Iron Badger! Thanks man!

Was from the Skyrim topic. Is it truth that even if i put the game to not update automatically, it will do so anyway if im connected to Steam? That the only way to prevent that is using the offline mode.

Sober

So Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine was a pretty interesting game. It was half of what I was expecting (RPS's comment that it was basically more of the demo) and also not what I was expecting. I picked this up for 12.50$ on GMG earlier this month. Steam says I put about 12 hours into it, 6 or so was spent on SP, the rest on MP. I mostly did Seize Ground in MP, stopped at level 20 mostly because I couldn't take playing MP any more.

Single Player - played all on a 360 pad, normal difficulty
+ I feel like a damn Space Marine - the thudding on my foot steps and even having too much inertia when stopping from sprinting
+ Both melee and ranged combat are satisfying, being able to mix it up at will was great too
+ Jetpack sequences were always fun, though they could've lasted a bit longer at times
= The story was pretty standard fare Warhammer I felt minus a few twists
well, the Inquisitor I wasn't expecting to have turned from the start but he started telegraphing crazy pretty close to halfway to his reveal
- also, Chaos showing up is the least spoiler of them all
- Some of the scripting was off, or sometimes my squadmates would fall off the map and I'd have to reload the checkpoint to continue (to get on an elevator). Happened only a handful of times but its pretty annoying that it happened at all
- They said it wasn't going to end up being Gears of Warhammer 40k, but when Chaos Marines show up, you sorta have to start firing from some cover or corner or eschew melee for the most part. A few CSMs I could possibly melee if my squadmates are around, but throwing you into a room with 5 CSMs and renegade guardsmen will chip away your armour and health pretty fast that closing in to melee is rarely an option (especially at the end when you are solo).
- The checkpoints for this game are sometimes terribly placed, mostly because they put them too far back from the action. The last bossfight checkpoint is just egregious because they place it right before where the cache of weapons is, then another 10 second walk and a cutscene before the fight starts (you can skip 2-3 seconds in). Why not just place one after the cutscene?

Multiplayer - all kb/m, did not play co-op though sadly
+ The Copy Loadout feature is pretty fun but that's about all the good I can say about MP. At least if someone completely annihilates you you can try out their extra weapons and perks for a while.
+ The appearance customizer is pretty fun, that's about it though
= Annihilation is boring and short - 41 kills is nothing while seize ground is a bit more fun and easier to grind XP from when capping/uncapping/rounds lasting more than 7 minutes
= Unlocking armour pieces I can live with (cosmetic) but it is very grindy (die/kill/assist/etc up to 5000 or so times) for things like shoulders and helmets.
- Matchmaking is P2P. I've never used it before so I never knew what it felt like but host migration and people skipping and rubber banding around is not my idea of fun in MP.
- Unlocking weapons would've been okay (I've played plenty of CoD4) except all the ranged weapons (esp on Tacs) are so fundamentally different that it feels weird having to grind your way up to just have them. (again, compared to something like CoD4, the starting weapons are already good/serviceable, not shitty in comparison; same with perks, you get better surface piercing and the increased damage perks from the start)
- The starting bolter literally can only tickle people's armour - until you kill enough people for the weapon perk. At that point you can actually face people on somewhat even ground, which is annoying seeing as the other two classes can work somewhat fine even naked at the start of your MP career. (I literally went from picking off stragglers with the bolter - 3-5 kills a round at best - to getting regular 4+ killstreaks with it after getting the Kraken Shells perk)

What I wish they did
- At least for SP, there should have been some minor character creation or customization and some RPG elements. There were plenty in the Dawn of War II series but all of a sudden it became a straight up action game.
- MP scaling was very off but it went by relatively fast if you did seize ground primarily to level up with. Weapon unlocking feels terribly slow when all the weapons feel and handle different, then require you to do abnormal amounts of grinding to get their respective perks (about 250 kills and 50 killstreaks respectively) to work 'better'. For CoD4, at least you started getting attachments like 25 kills in and weapons functioned about the same (and optical attachments didn't really do much in COD4). In comparison to BF3, SM is still worse because grinding optical attachments (from what I played in the beta) wasn't as bad as having to grind killstreaks to get them (easier to get I suppose)
- There feels like an underlying lack of polish in both modes. The game runs fine and smooth pretty much all the time but the little bugs and the seemingly lack of MP balance ruin an otherwise pretty fun game.

I would wait for 20$ or under to buy. I thought it was well worth my 12.50$. It's a damn shame it didn't do well enough for a sequel but they are adding more premium DLC to it (sadly in the form of MP maps/modes) to squeeze some more money out of it. It's unfortunately they didn't leverage any of the customization/RPG-ishness they had in DoW2/the tabletop game into the video game, which would have made it more interesting than a straight up action game (albeit the action was at least very fun for the most part).
Yes opinions can be wrong

Blizzard

Banned
Was from the Skyrim topic. Is it truth that even if i put the game to not update automatically, it will do so anyway if im connected to Steam? That the only way to prevent that is using the offline mode.
Correct, I know of no way around this as long as you're using a Steamworks executable, unfortunately.

And if you go online and back offline, and Steam detects there has been a Skyrim update, it MIGHT not download the update if you have updates turned off in the Steam properties for Skyrim...but it might also not let you play the game anymore in offline mode, telling you that you need to update. I don't know this part for sure though.

Blizzard

Banned
So I'm looking to build my own PC somewhere in the fall. If I wanted to transfer Steam game saves, how would I do so?
You should make a list of what games have saves that are important to you, and then start researching where the saves for each of those games goes. Some games might transfer saves via Steam cloud, some might store local save files in your documents folder, or possibly in a variety of other more obscure locations. There isn't any standard answer, unfortunately.

1-D_FTW

The standard answer is actually this http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Yeah. Or, a more detailed reply from the Pro Tips thread:

I wanted to rave about one of my favourite tools in the PC gaming kit: Dropbox.

The purpose of Dropbox is to provide cloud-storage which can be mapped to a local folder on every PC you use, regardless of the OS. It also has Android and iPhone apps so that you can get to your stuff on the move.

It's also arguably the best place to host images and your ticket to cloud-saving in any game.

Images

This one is easy. There is a folder in the root of newly created Dropboxen called "Public". If you have an old Dropbox account you might need to create the folder. Anything placed in there is publicly accessible, and you can right-click it and select the Dropbox submenu to copy the public link to the clipboard.

The reasons for doing this are simple. Personally I like to take all my screenshots as uncompressed PNGs out of Fraps, and I don't trust any image host to handle them properly, except abload.de which is too slow for me (Australia).

Cloud Saves

This is insanely simple thanks to Game Save Manager which includes Dropbox support:

If the game isn't supported by GSM you can use the original manual technique. The first thing that you need to do is grab the Dropbox Folder Sync addon and install it. Then it's simply a matter of finding the save folder for the game, and selecting the sync option:

dfs_rightclick.png

Now that your saves are in The Cloud, you'll want to access them from another PC for maximum PC Gaming Pro-ness. This is simply a matter of repeating the step above on that PC. If you already have saves in both folders you'll be given the option to merge/overwrite the files at that time.

And that's it! The next time you format your PC your saves are the last thing you need to worry about, and if you game on multiple PCs you now have perfect synchronisation between them. Also, the above technique will also work on settings files/folders so if you want to keep those in synch too you can.

N.B.: If you're familiar with creating NTFS junctions (i.e. symlinks) you can perform the above using the CLI.

This man is wise, because he prepares himself for tinkering. In case you have trouble, make sure that you back the folder up before trying this.

JaseC

You should make a list of what games have saves that are important to you, and then start researching where the saves for each of those games goes. Some games might transfer saves via Steam cloud, some might store local save files in your documents folder, or possibly in a variety of other more obscure locations. There isn't any standard answer, unfortunately.

I've lost my Torchlight saves at least half a dozen times as they're tucked away in AppData\Roaming\runic games.

tw1164

Holy fuck! I found this in my email box today.

Hello ,
Congratulations, you are a Third Place Prize Winner of Steam’s Epic Holiday Giveaway! The Valve Complete pack has been added to your Steam account.
We wish you all the best in 2012, congratulations again!

Cheers

Now I can tell my wife earning those achievements really wasn't a waste of time.

JaseC

GFWL actually puts some in hidden folders. Which is the genius of Game Save Manager. It finds it all.

That is simultaneously hilarious and unsurprising.

Holy fuck! I found this in my email box today.

Now I can tell my wife earning those achievements really wasn't a waste of time.

Wouldn't Steam's small Community notification banner have lit up as a result of the additional gifts?

Blizzard

Banned
I stand corrected, having never used Game Save Manager (assuming it supports all the games you are interested in).

I think I've run into at least one game that used AppData...maybe just Torchlight, possibly Plants vs Zombies or Peggle as well.

tw1164

Wouldn't Steam's small Community notification banner lit up as a result of the additional gifts?

It doesn't seem to, I just had the games added to my library. To be truthful, I think I wouldn't have noticed w/o the email. I normally use the only installed filter.

On the off chance someone needs a valve 33% off coupon, PM me.

gblues

Banned

This was true, but there was a client update released a couple months ago that fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom