• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see some kind of agreement between Impulse (Stardock) and Valve. "You sell your games on our platform, we sell ours on yours." I doubt, we'll see Valve titles on other DD platforms than those two. Definitely not Origin... ;)

I could see some kind of agreement between Impulse (Stardock) and Valve. "You sell your games on our platform, we sell ours on yours." I doubt, we'll see Valve titles on other DD platforms than those two. Definitely not Origin... ;)

Stardock doesn't own Impulse and has nothing to do with it anymore. They sold it last Spring to GameStop.

Half-Life, Portal and More! Valve Games Are Now Available on GameStop PC Downloads!

Some of the greatest, most creative games of the past decade (and the one before that) are now available! Legendary developer/publisher Valve is now available! Whether you enjoy hitting things with crowbars, the power of gravity, making holes in walls or making large holes in the undead, Valve’s games will suck you in and won’t let you go! There’s more quality gameplay here than you can shake a crowbar at!

Portal 2

Portal 2 draws from the award-winning formula of innovative gameplay, story, and music that earned the original Portal over 70 industry accolades and created a cult following.

The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game.

The game’s two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

You can explore Aperture Science Laboratories and purchase Portal 2 here.

Left 4 Dead

From Valve (the creators of Counter-Strike, Half-Life and more) comes Left 4 Dead, a co-op action horror game for the PC that casts up to four players in an epic struggle for survival against swarming zombie hordes and terrifying mutant monsters.

Set in the immediate aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, L4D's survival co-op mode lets you blast a path through the infected in four unique “movies,” guiding your survivors across the rooftops of an abandoned metropolis, through rural ghost towns and pitch-black forests in your quest to escape a devastated Ground Zero crawling with infected enemies. Each "movie" is comprised of five large maps, and can be played by one to four human players, with an emphasis on team-based strategy and objectives.

New technology dubbed "the AI Director" is used to generate a unique gameplay experience every time you play. The Director tailors the frequency and ferocity of the zombie attacks to your performance, putting you in the middle of a fast-paced, but not overwhelming, Hollywood horror movie.

Begin your journey to escape the hordes of undead and play one of the best cooperative shooters in years here.

Left 4 Dead 2

Set in the zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) is the highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Left 4 Dead, the #1 co-op game of 2008. This co-operative action horror FPS takes you and your friends through the cities, swamps and cemeteries of the Deep South, from Savannah to New Orleans across five expansive campaigns.

You'll play as one of four new survivors armed with a wide and devastating array of classic and upgraded weapons. In addition to firearms, you'll also get a chance to take out some aggression on infected with a variety of carnage-creating melee weapons, from chainsaws to axes and even the deadly frying pan. You'll be putting these weapons to the test against (or playing as in Versus) three horrific and formidable new Special Infected. You'll also encounter five new “uncommon” common infected, including the terrifying Mudmen.

Helping to take L4D's frantic, action-packed gameplay to the next level is AI Director 2.0. This improved Director has the ability to procedurally change the weather you'll fight through and the pathways you'll take, in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match your performance. L4D2 promises a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience every time the game is played, custom-fitted to your style of play.

Continue escaping the undead and purchase Left 4 Dead 2 here.

Half-Life Complete

Starting off with Half-Life, the game named Game of the Year by over 50 publications, this massive collection takes Valve’s banner franchise and runs with it, including all the sequels and expansions - More amazing gameplay than you can shake a crowbar at! Included in Half Life Complete are:

Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Source
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Team Fortress Classic
Slake your thirst for Valve titles here.

The Orange Box

The Orange Box is a bundle that includes five titles from Valve: Half-Life 2; Half-Life 2: Episode 1; Half-Life 2: Episode Two; Team Fortress 2, the sequel to the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map; and Portal, the game that blends puzzles, first person action, and adventure gaming to produce an experience like no other.

You can have a blast with this brilliant collection of titles here.

You can also browse all of Valve's titles here.

All Valve titles require the Steam Client to install and play.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/news/1...es_Are_Now_Available_on_GameStop_PC_Downloads

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ETA until Valve titles show up on Origin?

Probably as soon as EA are open to the idea of expanding the Origin product catalogue to include games that require a competing software client. Prior to the rebranding, Valve's games - some of them, at least - were available via EADM, presumably owing to the fact that EA was/is Valve's retail partner for distribution purposes. I distinctly recall the Half-Life 2 saga being on sale at one point.

coopolon

ETA until Valve titles show up on Origin?

I'd actually prefer they show up on Amazon DD so that we can use amazon credit and still just get the codes. (You could of course buy retail from amazon, but then have to wait two days).

Probably as soon as EA are open to the idea of expanding the Origin product catalogue to include games that require a competing software client. Prior to the rebranding, Valve's games - some of them, at least - were available via EADM. I distinctly recall the Half-Life 2 saga being on sale at one point.

There are already Steamworks games on Origin. Valve games are essentially the same as any other Steamworks title. And EA used to sell retail versions of Valve games. They may still do so, haven't checked.

It's surprising because this is the first time Valve's games have been available for purchase from a competing DD service.

This.

I wonder what the financial motivation was for doing this. Maybe they were not selling well enough on Steam, or maybe it's a show of good will.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There are already Steamworks games on Origin. Valve games are essentially the same as any other Steamworks title. And EA used to sell retail versions of Valve games. They may still do so, haven't checked.

Oh, okay. I wonder why Valve's games didn't survive the rebranding, then.

coopolon

Oh, okay. I wonder why Valve's games didn't survive the rebranding, then.

Yah. In my opinion, this actually makes EA look worse now. Before people could always argue "Well, Valve doesn't sell their games anywhere else, why should EA be held to a higher standard?" But now that is no longer true.

PaulLFC

This.

I wonder what the financial motivation was for doing this. Maybe they were not selling well enough on Steam, or maybe it's a show of good will.
What do they lose by offering the games for sale on Impulse? Nothing. There are only gains - they get money from every sale, and every download requires Steam to be installed, potentially providing new customers for Steam, which Valve can then make money off when they buy other games through Steam. What have they got to lose?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What do they lose by offering the games for sale on Impulse? Nothing. There are only gains - they get money from every sale, and every download requires Steam to be installed, potentially providing new customers for Steam, which Valve can then make money off when they buy other games through Steam. What have they got to lose?

Internet street cred or something.

TheExodu5

Banned
There's a BlackShark 2, though. =\

Well, I guess you can do the upgrade from 1 -> 2 for $20, so that's something. You won't be getting it on Steam, though.

Also, keep in mind this series is truly a sim. I picked up DCS A-10C two days ago and am just reading through the manual. 600 pages.

TheExodu5

Banned
Someone convince me to buy this combat simulator.

Do you want to fly a real Ka-50? Do you want to read through 536 pages of documentation? Do you have to go through a 10+ hour learning curve to fly a basic mission? Do you have a flight stick? Then you should buy DCS Black Shark.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
How is dustforce? The artstyle really appeals to me but the overall concept sound kind of weak, although I'm digging the flow if you play the game perfectly. Is it designed well in that regard?

Do you want to fly a real Ka-50? Do you want to read through 536 pages of documentation? Do you have to go through a 10+ hour learning curve to fly a basic mission? Do you have a flight stick? Then you should buy DCS Black Shark.
Hahaha. So by the time you have this game under your belt you can actually fly one of those things IRL?

That's some deep simulation shit.

This.

MY guess is that they've reached saturation on Steam, ie: they sold very well. After all, anyone who really wants to play Portal 2 that is already on Steam would've bought it for $10 during the Winter Sale. This just opens them up to a new audience to indoctrinate/win over.

Nabs

It's obviously a liferaft. If you're a PC gamer and buying shit from Gamestop, you definitely need saving.

DrPirate

Banned
MY guess is that they've reached saturation on Steam, ie: they sold very well. After all, anyone who really wants to play Portal 2 that is already on Steam would've bought it for $10 during the Winter Sale. This just opens them up to a new audience to indoctrinate/win over.

Maybe some of us were on vacation and didn't get the chance :( :( :( :( :'(

inky

So I opted into the Skyrim beta and it downloaded the patch, then I opted into the Steam beta again and Skyrim downloaded another file and I was back at 1.3...

WTF is this shit? -.-

MNC

So I wanna play Half Life 1.

should I get the source version or vanilla?

I guess source will work on modern systems better?

Have you bought it yet? I have a vanilla leftover from the sale. PM me.

Edit: Man I am the first post of page king.

Also, my opinion: Vanilla is better since it doesn't have the weird ragdolls/explosions/effects/lighting of source in a game that was meant for goldsource.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Every single game sold uses Steamworks. They get in on another storefront(Only one with retail presence) while being able to trojan horse Steam some more.

I'm confused at why this is even a discussion?

Ha, ha, shit, F.E.A.R. made me jump last night almost through its sound design alone. The sound had me on edge enough that when a creepy little ghost girl scuttled towards me, crab walking, whilst I was clambering through a vent made me kinda jump. There's been a few supernatural moments like that in the game so far but that was the first to get me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom