• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Seems a bit overpriced.

ya_think_dinozzo_tshirt-p235528563385515353z7tqq_400.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
9c6d134205ef0136a61867b43a83670fed790063.png

I wonder how this will work, since obviously Rayman 2 isn't available on Steam. It's only available for PC download at GOG.com.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
9c6d134205ef0136a61867b43a83670fed790063.png

I wonder how this will work, since obviously Rayman 2 isn't available on Steam. It's only available for PC download at GOG.com.

Similar to the unreleased games of the Humble Indie Bundles, I imagine - the game will exist at Valve's end, but it won't be available for separate purchase via the store.

I´m very interested to know what they mean by: "Yes, Rayman Origins PC should be available on all e-shops including Steam; and no, it won't include any "complicated" DRM".

In my world, TAGES, Securom and stuff like that is "complicated" DRM.

camerooni

Neo Member
You can check the news tab in the app to see the deals. Hopefully they will make it more immediately visible in a future update.

I hope they change the news tab so that it's like it is in the client, where it gives you everything all grouped together under 'news'.. going through each category to see if there is something actually 'new' is really annoying.

Eusis

I´m very interested to know what they mean by: "Yes, Rayman Origins PC should be available on all e-shops including Steam; and no, it won't include any "complicated" DRM".

In my world, TAGES, Securom and stuff like that is "complicated" DRM.
Ideally if they HAVE to have some layer on every digital version it'd just be Securom with resetting activations on non-Steam versions, and just Steam DRM on that one.

Ideally if they HAVE to have some layer on every digital version it'd just be Securom with resetting activations on non-Steam versions, and just Steam DRM on that one.

Even Securom like that is too much for me. Steam DRM should always be enough for Steam games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Even then, they claim that the retail version is DRM-free, so why add DRM to the digital versions? Either way, the DRM-free version will be leaked, digital DRM will have no purpose other than to annoy legit buyers. Makes no sense, but then again it's Ubisoft.

Eusis

Even Securom like that is too much for me. Steam DRM should always be enough for Steam games.
Honestly, I mostly mind Securom because of the ridiculous performance hits it can have on games (and that they aren't always resetting). You're right about Steam though, throwing any on that version will be dumb.

jediyoshi

Looks like the GMG 50% off Skyrim deal is more than likely going to go through. Good luck nighttime/euro gaf

1 hour to go! I think we might just see Skyrim on sale too at the previous 50% discount! There's less stock than before though for the discounted price, so make sure to get in there like quicksilver! /James
http://ow.ly/8Mhtq

Damn, the Steam app is brilliant. Can't wait for it to be released to the public.

It should be going public soon. Someone on reddit said that the app will go into Open Beta with the next update and everyone will be able to log in without needing an invite.

Edit: The update was pushed out on the Android marketplace and it's public. Everyone who has a Steam account can use it now.

JaseC

I'd forgotten how big a game Titan Quest is. ~20 hours in and I've only just reached Egypt (the second act).

I'd forgotten how big a game Titan Quest is. ~20 hours in and I've only just reached Egypt (the second act).

I felt that the size was its biggest weakness. After reaching Egypt I was bored with the game and ready to move on. Bigger isn't always better.

That's what Path of Exile is doing right. It only has 2 Acts in its current form (with another one planned for release), but finishing them both and advancing to the next difficulty takes less than 10 hours, so there's a constant sense of progress and restarting with a new character doesn't feel like a monumental task.

JaseC

I felt that the size was its biggest weakness. After reaching Egypt I was bored with the game and ready to move on. Bigger isn't always better.

Yeah, I can't play it for more than a few hours a day without the experience becoming increasingly dull. "Bigger isn't always better" needs to be stamped on the forehead of whomever designed the Minoan Labyrinth dungeon - it's massive.

That's what Path of Exile is doing right. It only has 2 Acts in its current form (with another one planned for release), but finishing them both and advancing to the next difficulty takes less than 10 hours, so there's a constant sense of progress and restarting with a new character doesn't feel like a monumental task.

Similarly, Grim Dawn - an ARPG by ex-Iron Lore folks (on the Titan Quest engine, no less!) - is said to be comparable in size to Titan Quest's first act. When I first read that news I was a little disappointed, but now, having a fresh understanding of just how large the Greece act is, I'm perfectly okay with it.

It would be awesome if they updated Rayman 2 for the steam release like Double Fine did to Pychonauts. Some of the levels are locked to 30 fps and some to 60 fps and it's really annoying.

JaseC

For those who have finished Portal 2, which is bound to be the majority of this thread, look at this post then highlight the following (seriously, don't highlight the text and perhaps even avoid the link if you've yet to play the game):

I just realised those scribblings on (what's left of) the ceiling of the portal gun room are moon phases.

It's probably obvious if you've replayed the game, but I haven't touched the SP since completing it on release. I just blew my own mind.

On a related note, I think I'll save my second run through Portal 2 for its anniversary.

Lumine

Any chance Steam will have a Skyrim sale before march 2nd? I still have a coupon I'm kind of hoping to use...

Oh and yay at Rayman, was hoping for a PC/Steam version. :)

Erudite

Any chance Steam will have a Skyrim sale before march 2nd? I still have a coupon I'm kind of hoping to use...

Oh and yay at Rayman, was hoping for a PC/Steam version. :)

Might as well just jump on the GMG deal a couple posts above. Doubt you're going to find a better deal than that before March 2nd.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
GMG deal is still currently dead, by the way.

Unfortunately, the odds of Skyrim going on sale before March are probably fairly low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom