• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo Dawn of War... I'm not really too into RTS games, but it does look kinda interesting. What's gaf's verdict on that one? Sell me on it.

The singleplayer plays like a squad based action RPG with itemization+stats (so I guess kinda like Diablo). There are two main multiplayer modes, one casual and one hardcore. The casual one, Last Stand, is basically a horde mode where you control a single unit with special abilities (you grind for gear and levels which unlocks more stats and abilities). Skirmish is the hardcore multiplayer mode which is a capture the points type gameplay (1v1 ,2v2, 3v3). The learning curve is ridiculously steep and it doesn't help that the community is super insular at this point. I'd even venture to say that the game is harder to learn than DOTA.

The singleplayer and last stand are worth the price of admission alone if you don't plan on investing into skirmish but skirmish IMO is probably the best part of DOW2 if you have the time/patience.

Oh and if you want to see some matches, go check out harlequincast's youtube channel. I find DOW2's multiplayer to be incredibly entertaining to watch.

Sooo Dawn of War... I'm not really too into RTS games, but it does look kinda interesting. What's gaf's verdict on that one? Sell me on it.

DOW1 is a fairly traditional RTS, but one that changed the emphasis of battle from collecting resources to fighting; the resources you need to build and expand are victory capture points on the battlefield, and has the concept of cover where you take less damage if you are inside a crater or whatever.
The first two games (DoW and Winter Assault) have a pretty good traditional single player campaign, and Dark Crusade has a pretty good Risk style singleplayer campaign where you can play any faction and try and take over the planet, with lots of cool setpieces.
Soul Storm is shit, and negated most of the innovation DoW1 brought to the table by having almost no maps provide any cover, and adding resources you have to harvest.
Plus the new races it adds are crap too.

DOW2 is pretty much 3 games in one;
You have the singleplayer campaign (which also has online co-op) which plays like a dungeon crawler, controlling a small squad and picking up loot, and respeccing your heros between missions etc.
You have multiplayer, which is much more traditional RTS fare, and a refinement of DOW1
You finally have Last Stand which is a pretty fun Horde mode type game, where you level up a single champion to try and survive / win with 2 other people.

DOW2:CR is more of the same campaign wise, and adds some new races to play as for multiplayer and Last Stand.

DOW:R is back to the 'risk' style campaign, where you can pick the race you want and play through the campaign with minor differences.

If you like W40K all the games are pretty fucking good fun, if you're indifferent you might like them as a more action focussed RTS, but the various DOW2 games are probably more fun due to them basically being dungeon crawlers instead of RTS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dawn of War 1 + expansions on the other hand plays exactly like your standard RTS and will not change your mind on the genre.

The risk stuff in the last two expansions is super tacked on and feels meaningless.

Nymerio

Sounds cool, what exactly would you get if you're new to the game? There's Dawn of War 2, the Gold pack with Chaos Rising and than there's Retribution and about a million dlc packs...

I'll watch a few of those videos and may bite.

Edit: What seems interesting about it to me is that it does not seem to play like to play like a standard RTS. I like the occasional Starcraft game but I can't build bases for shit. I guess by not having to think about that I may actually enjoy this. And I'm a dirty little loot whore, so that's an added bonus. I also like horde modes...

Still waiting for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Stacking, and Iron Brigade/Trenched. :-\

I fell in love with Shadow Planet while playing it on a friends 360 and would love to finish it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Snuggle Truck is pretty amazing.

There are still some "undocumented citizens" that got left in the background paintings which is kinda hilarious.

Zimbardo

is there gamepad support for Titan Attacks?

i saw someone say that there wasn't and there's no mention of gamepad support on the Steam page ...so its not looking good.

would be super stupid to not include it for what seems like a Galaga type shooter.

edit: i guess there isn't pad support ....
http://i-luv-games.com/?p=94

that review says its controlled by mouse or keyboard.

Sounds cool, what exactly would you get if you're new to the game? There's Dawn of War 2, the Gold pack with Chaos Rising and than there's Retribution and about a million dlc packs...

I'll watch a few of those videos and may bite.

Edit: What seems interesting about it to me is that it does not seem to play like to play like a standard RTS. I like the occasional Starcraft game but I can't build bases for shit. I guess by not having to think about that I may actually enjoy this. And I'm a dirty little loot whore, so that's an added bonus. I also like horde modes...

The singleplayer campaign and Last Stand are genuinely not even an RTS.

If you're really unsure, just pick up Retribution; the first 2 games were GFWL whereas Retribution is Steamworks, so Retribution has all the playable races from the first 2. Its single payer campaign is - imo - not as good as either of the first two, but is perfectly playable and has the bonus of having all the races have a campaign (the first two games are space marines only).

If you really enjoy it, you cn pick up the Gold pack later down the line just for the singleplayer - most of the online has moved to Retribution, because nobody much likes GFWL.

Of the DLC;
A bunch of it is epic loot for the singleplayer campaign, which arguably ruins some of the loot whoring experience

A bunch of it is loot for Last Stand, which is often worse than the loot you obtain normally by levelling up, but usually offers some interesting play style changes

A bunch of it is purely cosmetic multiplayer skins, and mostly fan service to hardore W40K fans

One of them is a new playable race for Last Stand only.

Its a weekend deal, so if you get Retribution now, and give the different game modes a go, you'll still have time to pick up any DLC you might want before the sales over - the descriptions will probably mean more to you too.

is there gamepad support for Titan Attacks?

i saw someone say that there wasn't and there's no mention of gamepad support on the Steam page ...so its not looking good.

would be super stupid to not include it for what seems like a Galaga type shooter.

edit: i guess there isn't pad support ....
http://i-luv-games.com/?p=94

that review says its controlled by mouse or keyboard.

JoyToKey can fix it. But it really should already be in there.

DOW2: Chaos Rising's singleplayer campaign was incredibly good. I really enjoyed the corruption mechanic and how it tied into the main plot. It becomes even more compelling once you turn it up to primarch since the corrupted gear and talents are so much more powerful. There was a lot more variety in mission structure compared to DOW2 and even the end was pretty good. It's definitely the strongest of the 3 (DOW2/Chaos Rising/Retribution) singleplayer wise.

svegis

Haha, that Snuggle Truck game was originally Smuggle Truck and it had you smuggling illegals across the border.

Indeed, I made the same observation before. Seems they released Smuggle first on PC/Mac and Snuggle for iOS, can't find a date but today seems likely for Snuggle that they released it for PC. Buy link for smuggle is broken on their webpage, so maybe they decided to change it to Snuggle all together. Anyway, reading through their blog seems like they're very dedicated to updating this, competitions and what not. And for anyone curious, they had a talk at Unite ’11 - “Smuggle Truck Postmortem: Developing for 4 Platforms Simultaneously”. Goes on for about 45 minutes, interesting talk. Maybe something for the developers out there.

svegis

Hilarious how DoW: Gold is 6.79€ but DoW: Platinum (which includes Dark Crusade and DoW: Gold) is only 3.39€.

Yeah, I found that odd too when you said it, so I had to check that out.
According to search but even then, it's still 6.79€ on the page itself. But even then, Gold is still 3.39 and Platinum is also 3.39. Weird!

I bought Space Marine w/ the DLCs that were on sale yesterday, the other 3 will be on sale in the Summer. I haven't installed the game yet (too busy) and I've played a demo of the game on PS3, so I know what I'm expecting, but I can only wonder if the DLCs (skins and weapons) were really worth the ~£5 I payed for them or if they just serve as a good advantage in the early levels and I can unlock stronger weapons simply by leveling up in the multiplayer. :-/

Edit: Oh, first post, hello guys!

jbug617

Banned
I have a question did Steam give people free copies of Dawn of War II-Retribution. I haven't used Steam for a while and when I opened it up today it was in my library and I guess I got 1 day to download it.

I have a question did Steam give people free copies of Dawn of War II-Retribution. I haven't used Steam for a while and when I opened it up today it was in my library and I guess I got 1 day to download it.

You have also only 1-2 day to play it, it's a free weekend for everyone.

svegis

Sometimes Steam does free weekend of games, with discounts on said games, so you can play them throughout the weekend(Thursday to Monday) to try out and see if you like it. It's basically a demo for everyone. In this case, you have a demo of Retribution in your library for multiplayer to check if you like it. There's no forced purchase or test, you won't be left out next free weekend, everyone is invited, like I said before. And if you don't want it, you can just ignore it and it'll be deleted from your library after the deal runs out.

Hope that helps!

Blindly bought DOW Gold (which includes Winter Assault) after watching brief last stand gameplay. I hope the game thoroughly describes the HUD because that's the most unusual aspect I saw. Yes, I am a RTS noob.

Ledsen

Blindly bought DOW Gold (which includes Winter Assault) after watching brief last stand gameplay. I hope the game thoroughly describes the HUD because that's the most unusual aspect I saw. Yes, I am a RTS noob.

Dude last stand is a DoW2 game mode, you bought DoW1.

3rdman

I bought the Humble Bundle with World of Goo but (at least that title) I already own it...It won't let me add the license to later gift so can I pass it to someone here? Who wants "World of Goo"? First reply gets it...

Nabs

Looks like Gunpoint (old video) is coming to Steam (reg), I guess it shouldn't be a shock:

Eurogamer said:
Several months ago Tom Francis, whom you should know from his writing for PC Gamer, went to Seattle to interview the team at Valve. When he sat down with Gabe Newell and Erik Wolpaw, something really weird happened. They asked him how his game was coming along.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-gunpoint-preview-rewiring-the-action-puzzle-game

I'm glad he's selling it, it looks pretty good.

1-D_FTW

Good god, the save system in Batman sucks! Sue me if I like to play games in 30 minute spurts. Everytime I restart this shit, it seems I half to replay half of what I played last time. And I've been trying to quit after what I feel are milestones. I hate arrogant developers who feel a need to control this. Quicksave. Who's it hurting, mofos? It's not like I'm dying in your game anyways? What would I be cheating?

Sorry for the rant. But I'm really getting close to just uninstalling this game.

Forkball

Snuggle Truck? Titan Attacks? MtG Tactics? The hell are these games? Steam has been letting open the flood gates on indie titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom