• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it drops below 60 fps during a race for that set up, you either have a broken card or are accidentally forcing some sort of external AA. I got locked 60 during racing on both a 460 and 5850 easily.

Performance on the menu is a separate matter.

It has a different set of rally courses that are pretty damn great.

I just checked Ati Tray Tools and it looks like I had Morphological AA enabled, so I guess that could be it.

EDIT - Nah, it still drops to 50 when the screen fills with dust if I skid/crash into a wall

Kabouter

I keep seeing people say that Dirt 2 is better, but no one seems to go into why or how.

Fewer rally races, shorter rally tracks, Gymkhana rubbish, being unable to complete seasons because you have to buy DLC to do so, constantly being nagged to put replays on youtube, the unironic use of words like 'amigo' with a frightening frequency (far worse than Dirt 2). Literally the worst game I played last year.

I'll ask in this thread since it's close enough. Is the $50 prizetag on Assassin's Creed Revolution on Steam the best deal out there? And I guess I can't get it on Steam if I buy it from somewhere else, right?

I'll ask in this thread since it's close enough. Is the $50 prizetag on Assassin's Creed Revolution on Steam the best deal out there? And I guess I can't get it on Steam if I buy it from somewhere else, right?

It's not Steamworks so no, you won't be able to register it on Steam if you bought it somewhere else. Unfortunately that series isn't discounted very well during sales either.

1-D_FTW

Fewer rally races, shorter rally tracks, Gymkhana rubbish, being unable to complete seasons because you have to buy DLC to do so, constantly being nagged to put replays on youtube, the unironic use of words like 'amigo' with a frightening frequency (far worse than Dirt 2). Literally the worst game I played last year.

I would also say that the Dirt 2 courses just seem more organic and natural. To me, the Monaco DLC was the most Dirt 2 like course in the whole game.

You mean Revelations? I'd wait. It's sure to be $30 to $35 or less within a couple months or so. It's $37 on Amazon right now if you don't mind not having it on Steam, by the way.

InertiaXr

I have to agree with both Stallion and Kabouter, the online rally/trailblazer events with others from GAF is tremendous fun, but literally everything else is annoying and takes too long to do. Constant voice overs that freeze you out of the menus, when you get into the menus they take too long to do anything, Gymkhana is complete shit, way too much of the career is NOT rally/trailblazer, DLC pushed on you everywhere (including actual fucking voiceovers telling you that ITS AVAILABLE ON THE LIVE STORE or whatever its called on PC).

Turfster

Wow, the steam front page is... scarybroken. Almost everything is "uninitialized". edit: aaand fixed I guess.

Game is a piece of trash, if I have to kill the process and restart the game just to choose the next level (because the game always hangs when submitting your level score, and no, there's no firewall issues or anything like that causing problems), not even worth the effort.

Sounds like it hasn't gotten better then. I did try to warn people earlier in the thread ^^;;

Tess3ract

Banned
Dirt 3 has much better driving, but there's too much disparity between level difficulties. Easy the car drives itself, but then as you go up the car becomes a top at the slightest touch.

I don't want to play a Real Life Simulator.

new indie bundle

"Be Mine Indie Bundle"

http://groupees.com/bemine

launches Feb 14th, contains 5 games (steam)

they show a few games in the video, split second screenshots.

some of the guesses from youtube (no clue if accurate but people keep guessing them):

1-Wasteland Angel
2-Sideways New York
3-Xotic
4-BEEP
5-The Ball

so indiegala, indieroyale, and be mine indie bundle all launch near each other, each with their own first time in a bundle games.
The Ball is a very cool game. Will buy mainly for Sideways, but I also wanted to try Xotic.

On the other hand, the new Indie Gala... Notsureifwant.jpg. May be the first bundle I skip, I just want Roboblitz and Fortix2 :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dirt 3 has much better driving, but there's too much disparity between level difficulties. Easy the car drives itself, but then as you go up the car becomes a top at the slightest touch.

I don't want to play a Real Life Simulator.

You can tweak the car handling settings before races and they will then stick to those settings until you want to change them again.

Started playing my copy of Sideway: NY on Steam since people were talking about buying the bundle for that.

Game is a piece of trash, if I have to kill the process and restart the game just to choose the next level (because the game always hangs when submitting your level score, and no, there's no firewall issues or anything like that causing problems), not even worth the effort. The fact this came out a few months ago and something like that happens just annoys me more.

That's really disheartening. The game looks so good and also looks like it's fun to play.

I can't even get Dawn of War Gold Edition to start :/

Verified twice. Got through the config utility once. Played with launch options. Now I just hit play game and my portrait turns green and then back to blue. Won't do anything.

Edit: And now Max Payne is having mouse issues. Sigh, this is my least favorite part of pc gaming.

I can't even get Dawn of War Gold Edition to start :/

Verified twice. Got through the config utility once. Played with launch options. Now I just hit play game and my portrait turns green and then back to blue. Won't do anything.

Edit: And now Max Payne is having mouse issues. Sigh, this is my least favorite part of pc gaming.
I know that feel, man. Steam should have QA as good as GOG. I'm going to call THQ support later.

Nymerio

So I bought the Dawn of War II pack and I'm about four or five missions in. Really great game. Love the way it plays! By removing what I normally don't like in RTS games I can really focus on positioning units, getting them into cover etc. Would not have thought that removing the whole base building stuff would improve the genre that much (to me at least). I also love the whole loot whoring aspect of the game and the way it handles the way you retry missions. Every time you have to retry a mission you can catch additional buildings which give bonuses to your squads.

Great game, will play more tomorrow.

I know that feel, man. Steam should have QA as good as GOG. I'm going to call THQ support later.

lol I got it to work. I had to download winter assualt as well. That started with no problems, then just exited out, and tried to start gold edition again and it worked flawlessly.

Also I just had to turn off precision pointer control for some reason to solve my Max Payne issue.

I do wish some of this stuff was a tad easier.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been on a Bejeweled bender over the last few days, so good. I love Peggle and PvZ too. How does Zuma's Revenge stack up to those games? I'm liking the demo...

I've been on a Bejeweled bender over the last few days, so good. I love Peggle and PvZ too. How does Zuma's Revenge stack up to those games? I'm liking the demo...

I was never a fan of Zuma and love the 3 you mentioned (currently going through PvZ goty again)....some obvious choices you probably already have/played would be chuzzle, gyromancer, PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords (the other PQ games blow imo) and Might and magic:clash of the heroes (i highly recommend this one)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was never a fan of Zuma and love the 3 you mentioned (currently going through PvZ goty again)....some obvious choices you probably already have/played would be chuzzle, gyromancer, PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords (the other PQ games blow imo) and Might and magic:clash of the heroes (i highly recommend this one)

Thanks. I just downloaded the Gyromancer demo, and I totally forgot about Clash of Heroes, it's been on my wishlist for awhile. I'll try that demo too.

Spectros64

Neo Member
I'm planning on purchasing CoD4 for PC on steam, primarily for promod. What steps will I need to take to get promod up and running? I am new to PC gaming and am wondering if it is as easy as just downloading the mod off a site and starting CoD4 up. Thanks.

What am I doing wrong in DOW? My scouts can't infiltrate points when I right-click on them, my sergeants keep dying and lose morale (and troops), and I don't know how to use cover (can they shoot through solid objects?). Plus the game (and genre in general) are a clusterfuck when multitasking and knowing WTF is going on. I suck at strategy games.

Titans Attack is a totally neat riff on Galaga but with more varied enemy types and patterns but what really sets Titans Attack apart is the scoring meta-game. The better you score each wave, the more money you make, the more upgrades you can buy for your tank. More guns, more shots, faster rate of fire, smart bombs, shields (lives), etc.

Totally worth the 5$.

Lost Soul

I'm planning on purchasing CoD4 for PC on steam, primarily for promod. What steps will I need to take to get promod up and running? I am new to PC gaming and am wondering if it is as easy as just downloading the mod off a site and starting CoD4 up. Thanks.

Just find the servers that have promod and join and it should start downloading the promods for you it's that easy.

Bluth54

Remedy needs to hurry up and put Alan Wake up for sale on Steam. I want to give them my money.

Also I don't know if anyone posted, but Baldur's Gate has appeared in the Steam Registry. Baldur's Gate 2 was also added a couple of weeks ago for anyone who missed it.

Pineapple Smash Crew is also a really fun little game too. Picked it up along with Titans Attack. It's a real fast paced, top down shooter with randomised environments that's fun to play in short bursts.

Pineapple Smash Crew is also a really fun little game too. Picked it up along with Titans Attack. It's a real fast paced, top down shooter with randomised environments that's fun to play in short bursts.

Yep. I've been cycling between those two, Binding of Isaac, NightSky, and PixelJunk Eden. Pineapple has been a lot of fun and I've been addicted to getting that next upgrade in Titans Attack. I've had a couple of songs from Pineapple stuck in my head.

masterkajo

Remedy needs to hurry up and put Alan Wake up for sale on Steam. I want to give them my money.

Also I don't know if anyone posted, but Baldur's Gate has appeared in the Steam Registry. Baldur's Gate 2 was also added a couple of weeks ago for anyone who missed it.

A dream comes true :)

I own the second game and played it at least 5 times through but never played the first. Ah, childhood memories... Will buy both immediately if/when released.

A dream comes true :)

I own the second game and played it at least 5 times through but never played the first. Ah, childhood memories... Will buy both immediately if/when released.

You can get them from GOG right now if you want. The versions there are definitely moddable, as well.

Lumine

Excellent, I own BG/2 already on disc, but that's a game I'd make an exception for and double dip so I'd have it conveniently on Steam. :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I can't figure out why, but I'm having a difficult time getting into The Missing Link. Did anyone enjoy DE:HR but not its DLC? Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this sort of thing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom