• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Better roll out those Bethesda coupons, Skyrim is on sale for the midweek.

edit: and free hi-res texture pack? (wish I bought a card with more than 1GB VRAM now)

The Elder Scrolls Collection is also on sale - $49.99 (50% off)

Morrowind and Oblivion have a 50% discount ($9.99 each).

Edit: Just a heads up. The Elder Scrolls Collection includes the Oblivion GOTY Edition, not the DELUXE edition.

Sober

Seems like the HD pack is 3.1 GB
Don't think I can (or want) to run up all the distance sliders to max so I think I'll pass. Kinda wish it wasn't tied to Steam DLC and I could download and install it from offsite so I don't end up having to add the extra 3.1GB to Skyrim if I end up downloading it again.

jediyoshi

Don't think I can (or want) to run up all the distance sliders to max so I think I'll pass. Kinda wish it wasn't tied to Steam DLC and I could download and install it from offsite so I don't end up having to add the extra 3.1GB to Skyrim if I end up downloading it again.
They're just bsa/esp files that are getting downloaded into your data folder.

inky

I knew I should have waited a little while to use my coupon and buy Skyrim!

Yeah, me too. Got Oblivion for 6 last year just because, and Skyrim for 40 (Tho I already got 35 hrs into the game). Had I waited and used a coupon I'd have those + Morrowind for $35!

Well, I guess the "I should've waited" applies for every single game on Steam nowadays, so whatever. Before ppl ask I already gave my Beth coupon away, sry guys.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Soooo, Kingdoms of Amalur. I was in GAF chat as usual last night and mentioned I really wanted it (#1 wish) but that I don't spend over $30 on games for myself anymore. Arken decides to just send $30 to my Paypal to add to my $30 so I can buy the game. Coolest guy ever? Anyway just wanted to sing his praises here and now I'm off to play!

x3sphere

Edit: no longer needed, thanks :)

If anyone has a spare Bethesda coupon they could gift me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can gift you any one of the following in exchange:

Shank
Stalker COP + SOC bundle
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Shatter
Lara Croft GOL

Joe Molotov

Soooo, Kingdoms of Amalur. I was in GAF chat as usual last night and mentioned I really wanted it (#1 wish) but that I don't spend over $30 on games for myself anymore. Arken decides to just send $30 to my Paypal to add to my $30 so I can buy the game. Coolest guy ever? Anyway just wanted to sing his praises here and now I'm off to play!

Well, I'd just like to say that I was in GAF chat last night, and I mentioned that I wanted it, and I didn't get dick.

Same, just checked my bank and the money has been drawn...

sooo about that mail THQ...

Ah shite...I forgot that I bought Saint Rows The Third awhile back from the THQ site with a different billing address but the same credit card. That probably bunged up my order. Don't know if you might be facing the same problem.

Nelo Ice

Banned

U deserve it! I'm gonna wait for it to hit $30 in a steam sale myself since I could not find a way to bring down the price to around $30 before launch lol.

sk3tch

Somebody jump on Twitter and tell Acti to offer up Wolf '09 as a daily already.

Yes. This. I loved it on 360. I've been dying to get it on PC for a re-play. I was surprised it was *not* included in the holiday sale (other than a basic discount of like 25%). It is ancient and unloved...discount it and get it some appreciation. So underrated.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ah shite...I forgot that I bought Saint Rows The Third awhile back from the THQ site with a different billing address but the same credit card. That probably bunged up my order. Don't know if you might be facing the same problem.

Nah I just put in Spain instead of Sweden so I wouldn't be locked out due to region. Still waiting though, it's been almost 4 hours ;'(

Dambrosi

Banned
Nah I just put in Spain instead of Sweden so I wouldn't be locked out due to region. Still waiting though, it's been almost 4 hours ;'(

Yeah, I made the order about 45 minutes ago, no mail yet. My order shows up on the UK THQ order page, though, and the funds were taken from my PayPal account immediately, so it has gone through OK. It's all a bit shit, isn't it?

Blame Digital River, not THQ, though. Seems they're being slow on purpose today.

Baha

Giving away 3 games: Fortix 2, Critical Mass & Bunch of Heroes. Quote this to get a code, please post if you have claimed one.

You won't be thanking him later.

image.php

Deques

Thank you very much, very interesting! You wouldn't happen to know if this was a timed promo? Doesn't seem to be anything on their respective pages for the game.

I believe it's not promo price. Heck I even found the Civ V GOTY for the half price in a retail store when it was released

jediyoshi

Fuck it, 10 more hours of my birthday, I'm just going to treat myself and buy Shank 2. Steam sales and indie bundles be damned.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks to a coupon I just got Skyrim for $26.00.

So now which one should I buy? Morrowind or Oblivion?

Morrowind.

Oblivion is the worst of the three, everything about Skyrim is better (if only slightly). Morrowind has aged a bit, and you might have to do some fiddling to run it properly on your PC, but it's far more expansive and ambitious than either of the sequels. Plus, it doesn't have that awful level scaling, so exploration and finding is actually exciting at times. It's gonna be a bit daunting at first, but it's a must play if you have any interest in open world RPG's.

vall03

Ive passed on Morrowind sale twice now hoping for a higher discount, but it looks like 50% off is all I will get. Bought!

What?

Morrowind.

Oblivion is the worst of the three, everything about Skyrim is better (if only slightly). Morrowind has aged a bit, and you might have to do some fiddling to run it properly on your PC, but it's far more expansive and ambitious than either of the sequels. Plus, it doesn't have that awful level scaling, so exploration and finding is actually exciting at times. It's gonna be a bit daunting at first, but it's a must play if you have any interest in open world RPG's.

I do like open world RPGs... sort of. It depends. In Fallout I often just stick to main story quests, but in Risen I'll randomly explore side paths just to see what's there.

May I ask why Oblivion is the worst? It does have a higher metacritic score.

Ive passed on Morrowind sale twice now hoping for a higher discount, but it looks like 50% off is all I will get. Bought!

Yeah I also passed last time. But I figure holding out longer won't do me any good. Actually... fuck it I should just wait. I have enough in my backlog to keep my busy.

vall03

Well, I actually wanted to play Morrowind first before Skyrim but the GMG sale a couple of weeks back was very tempting so I got it. And since the reason I got into Elder Scrolls is because of the lore, my friend really suggested to play it after Skyrim.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
May I ask why Oblivion is the worst? It does have a higher metacritic score.

It has a very rigid level scaling system that detracts from the satisfaction of progression and the excitement of exploration. Unlike Morrowind, you can't plunder high-level dungeons or steal high-level items early in the game, everything is scaled to your level. Because of this, exploring dungeons is pretty much pointless since you'll end up with junk that is, at best, equal to your current equipment. By the time high-level weapons start to show up in dungeons, you'll already be equipped with them. On top of that, NPC's and creatures scale with you, so even generic bandits with have the highest level armor towards the end of the game. It's often compared to running on a treadmill, which is definitely accurate.

There is less variety among weapons, armor types and spells (the fun, experimental ones like levitate are gone) compared to Morrowind, which sucks. It feels scaled back and less ambitious than the previous games. When it first came out, it was impressive for the "next-gen" visual upgrade over Morrowind, but it's aged poorly since then.

Also worth noting: the radiant AI system is laughably bad, the main plotline is a snoozefest, there is one voice actor for every fifty characters, the NPC faces are vomitious and the law system is totally busted.

There are a few things to like, and I'm sure with some heavy modding it could be great, but I don't see much reason to play it at this point.

Skyrim isn't a major upgrade in any of those areas, there are improvements but overall it's very similar to Oblivion mechanically, but it offers a much more appealing setting to explore. Cyrodiil was your typical, bland fantasy world, but Skyrim has some truly awesome sights to see. My Fraps folder is evidence of that.

It has a very rigid level scaling system that detracts from the satisfaction of progression and the excitement of exploration. Unlike Morrowind, you can't plunder high-level dungeons or steal high-level items early in the game, everything is scaled to your level. Because of this, exploring dungeons is pretty much pointless since you'll end up with junk that is, at best, equal to your current equipment. By the time high-level weapons start to show up in dungeons, you'll already be equipped with them. On top of that, NPC's and creatures scale with you, so even generic bandits with have the highest level armor towards the end of the game. It's often compared to running on a treadmill, which is definitely accurate.

There is less variety among weapons, armor types and spells (the fun, experimental ones like levitate are gone) compared to Morrowind, which sucks. It feels scaled back and lacking Morrowind's ambition. When it first came out, it was impressive for the "next-gen" visual upgrade over Oblivion, but it's aged poorly since then.

Also worth noting: the radiant AI system is laughably bad, the main plotline is a snoozefest, the NPC faces are vomitious and the law system is totally busted.

There are a few things to like, and I'm sure with some heavy modding it could be great, but I don't see much reason to play it at this point.

Skyrim isn't a major upgrade in any of those areas, there are improvements but overall it's very similar to Oblivion mechanically, but it offers a much more appealing setting to explore. Cyrodiil was your typical, bland fantasy world, but Skyrim has some truly awesome sights to see. My Fraps folder is evidence of that.

I would say Skyrim is up there for being an amazing game but yeah both Skyrim and Oblivion can't hold a candle to Morrowind. Vvardenfell is an amazing place to get lost in. And like you said no level scaling makes the game seem more rewarding for exploring dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom