• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Paying for mods sucks

I imagine the idea is that, there are professionally talented modding-capable people out there that aren't doing mods because they don't want to put all the hours in for free. By making it available to be paid for work, modding will attract better/more modders.

The singularity is wherein companies make core "platforms" and the content is basically crowd sourced in a free market way: the best mods make the most money, incentivizing the best content. Competition and all that.

Of course, it'll just end up ruining mods instead.

Turfster

Wow, I think this might be the most uninterested response to a new humble I've ever seen.
People can't even be bothered to say "meh"

Salsa

I only want / don't own The Fall from that bundle

first-world-problems.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see how many mod creators remove their mods from sites such as Nexus in a grossly misguided attempt to force people to instead pay for them.

Well the new paid Steam version of Wet and Cold is 2.0 whereas the Nexus version is still 1.x and hasn't been updated (yet). Whether the Nexus version gets pulled, or just doesn't get updated remains to be seen. But it could go either way and they simply haven't done the Nexus upload yet.

It's going to be interesting to see how many mod creators remove their mods from sites such as Nexus in a grossly misguided attempt to force people to instead pay for them.

I mean, I get what Valve was going for here - trying to incentivize the workshop so it would be a draw for content creators.

But that has several things already working against it - the size of NexusMods (to say nothing of how many creators use Paypal or ask for donations for their work), the overriding mindset that mods are community content and abide by a more-or-less unspoken promise that it's free and available to everyone, and that there's no real way to gauge how much better paid mods are over free without significant testing.

I liken it to that of freelance writing - for every professional you find who asks for top dollar for their "craft", there's always going to be someone who does it better and for cheaper/free.

...meaning?

It used to be a vibrant, mostly positive community. But that has turned into cynism and vitriol for quite some time now and with this there might be no way back, and Valve might turn into the bad guy forever.

Talking about FP of course, not reddit.

Dr Dogg

I'm waiting for the sea of plagiarised mods that folks have uploaded as their own and trying to make some coin out of it. Be interesting to see how quick Valve are to take them down.

oh god at Call of Duty trying to be Deus Ex now

good. AW helped make those games more agile, it would be nice if BLOPS3 makes it more complex. If you can get +15 million people to play something that isn't a just a 6 hour shooting gallery then maybe we can finally start pushing AAA shooters past being modern iterations on Duck Hunt and bring up a whole generation of young whippersnappers on decent FPS gameplay.

good. AW helped make those games more agile, it would be nice if BLOPS3 makes it more complex. If you can get +15 million people to play something that isn't a just a 6 hour shooting gallery then maybe we can finally start pushing AAA shooters past being modern iterations on Duck Hunt and bring up a whole generation of young whippersnappers on decent FPS gameplay.

We only have a teaser, which is Deus Ex like in mood and message. There's no info if it's going to turn up complexity.

I wonder what will happen with mods requiring skse and other stuff that won't be in workshop? Does steam or the modder refund when the mod doesn't work after subscription?

dex3108

E3oeAY3A2U20MEPDoZ3_7g_0_0.jpg

VlG5SDk0bUGb6kY7QqmrcA_0_0.jpg

Vp6WAgNn9UCeLN919bLIHQ_0_0.jpg

c0jmna5btUGerde4uYJYRw_0_0.jpg

pqIr917vrEOlY-Zwq8TqBA_0_0.jpg

But man there is lag in Gta Online. I played Tennis match and i couldn't hit ball at all because it just spawned in front of me. There wasn't any chance for me to hit it.

Alavard

Another problem with paid mods I foresee is compatability with future updates to the base game. Sure, Skyrim probably isn't likely to get more patches from Bethesda, but if they start rolling out this program to other games that are still receiving patches and new content, what's to stop the author of a paid mod to just bail if the mod stops working?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Another problem with paid mods I foresee is compatability with future updates to the base game. Sure, Skyrim probably isn't likely to get more patches from Bethesda, but if they start rolling out this program to other games that are still receiving patches and new content, what's to stop the author of a paid mod to just bail if the mod stops working?

They can easily bail before an update, many mods do conflict with each other. A modder can simply ignore those issues and say "I don't care, don't use other mods".

yuraya

So Square Enix is having a press conference at E3. Bethesda is having one. Everyone is having a conference except Valve :(

Come on Gaben..don't be afraid..Its just public speaking. you can doo itt.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I thought Valve is the group of good ex-modders. Or so they promoted themselves.

They have a few, but over the years I think they've become a minority there.

With this paid mod craze, I wonder what would happen if the developer of SKSE put that mod in workshop and make it paid. Nearly all the useful mods of the game depends on that one so it would be like a license to buy mods.

They have a few, but over the years I think they've become a minority there.

Valve's always been a mix of modders and transitioned professionals.

Maybe they'll use this opportunity to scout some though I doubt that because they would have done the same at Greenlight days yet I've seen none.
But maybe this'll be different.

Dsyndrome

From the other thread, apparently comments have been disabled for Skyrim mods, did they not expect this kind of reaction?
It seems Valve just disabled Workshop comments on Skyrim mods due to the barrage of "Fuck DLC" etc. comments.
Place is turning into Youtube comments from the sounds of it.

Deitus

I wishlisted promptly to celebrate, but how much roguelike it is, I'm not fond of starting over and over again, to put it mildly. The concept is original and sounds cool, so I'll end up buying it anyway, just not sure when and how much I'll play.

There are two main modes to CotN, level select, and hardcore (although I think they recently renamed hardcore mode). In level select, you choose your starting level (and each level has 3 stages and a boss stage), and when you return to the lobby in between levels (don't have to beat them all in sequence). You earn gems by playing this mode which can be used to unlock new equipment that can be found/purchased in the game in future runs (think Binding of Issac style unlocks), as well as upgrading your starting health and coin multiplier to make future runs much easier. You can also use gems to buy pieces of equipment to start with in this mode. The levels and loot are still randomized each run, but you get at least get some semblance of progression.

This mode still might take you a few tries to beat when you are learning the game, but once you get enough of the upgrades unlocked it's totally doable. By and large it feels like training for hardcore mode.

Hardcore mode (or whatever they call it nowadays) is basically true roguelike mode (with some concessions made to offset the difficulty of doing everything in rhythm. Every run starts you off on level 1 with default health and no starting equipment, and you have to play through all levels in sequence without dying to win. There is no persistence between runs in this mode, but all equipment is available to be found in this mode without needing to unlock anything. I've only managed to beat this mode using the character who ignores the rhythm mechanics (i.e. cheat mode), but then I haven't played in a while.

Edit: It's a really fun game though. You should all buy it when it goes on sale.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-397510173BC84E5E - Taken by Zeeman

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-397510173BC84E5E - Taken by Zeeman

Is it one of the free Blockstorm beta keys IndieGala is giving out? :p

Arthea

There are two main modes to CotN, level select, and hardcore (although I think they recently renamed hardcore mode). In level select, you choose your starting level (and each level has 3 stages and a boss stage), and when you return to the lobby in between levels (don't have to beat them all in sequence). You earn gems by playing this mode which can be used to unlock new equipment that can be found/purchased in the game in future runs (think Binding of Issac style unlocks), as well as upgrading your starting health and coin multiplier to make future runs much easier. You can also use gems to buy pieces of equipment to start with in this mode. The levels and loot are still randomized each run, but you get at least get some semblance of progression.

This mode still might take you a few tries to beat when you are learning the game, but once you get enough of the upgrades unlocked it's totally doable. By and large it feels like training for hardcore mode.

Hardcore mode (or whatever they call it nowadays) is basically true roguelike mode (with some concessions made to offset the difficulty of doing everything in rhythm. Every run starts you off on level 1 with default health and no starting equipment, and you have to play through all levels in sequence without dying to win. There is no persistence between runs in this mode, but all equipment is available to be found in this mode without needing to unlock anything. I've only managed to beat this mode using the character who ignores the rhythm mechanics (i.e. cheat mode), but then I haven't played in a while.

Edit: It's a really fun game though. You should all buy it when it goes on sale.
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful, level select mode it is then, good to know it exists.

Dr Dogg

Sad thing about SPUF is that it usually houses some decent bug fixes and workarounds for troublesome games. The other 99% of it is the dregs on the internet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This whole backlash on "paid mods" is exactly the reason I've never required payment for Enhanced Steam or any of my other programs. I also hate the idea of providing a "premium" version that has more features. I happily accept what people are willing to donate and I appreciate every single cent that's sent my way. The people who have chosen to donate have done so because they like what I've created and they appreciate the service.

Workshop mods probably would have been fine with a simple "donate" button. There are a few Skyrim mods I've used and enjoyed over the years, many of which I would have probably donated a couple of bucks to help support if it were easy to do with Steam wallet funds. But when it becomes a purchase rather than a donation, it creates a whole new customer/provider dynamic that I'm personally uncomfortable with. But obviously not everyone is.

This whole backlash on "paid mods" is exactly the reason I've never required payment for Enhanced Steam or any of my other programs. I also hate the idea of providing a "premium" version that has more features. I happily accept what people are willing to donate and I appreciate every single cent that's sent my way. The people who have chosen to donate have done so because they like what I've created and they appreciate the service.

Workshop mods probably would have been fine with a simple "donate" button. There are a few Skyrim mods I've used and enjoyed over the years, many of which I would have probably donated a couple of bucks to help support. But when it becomes a purchase rather than a donation, it creates a whole new customer/provider dynamic that I'm personally uncomfortable with. But obviously not everyone is.

This probably was a decision that came from publishers and Valve looking for extra revenue. A donate button doesn't make them more money, which is the intent behind this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom