• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following are ten games in my backlog. I tried to get a mix of mostly considered good and a few considered bad, in case you want to tell me to play a bad game. Which one am I playing next? I've put them in alphabetical order.

After the End: the Harvest
Blue Rose
Deadly Premonition
Gods Will Be Watching
Hitman (one of the four that I own)
The Last Remnant
Metro 2033
Overlord
Retro City Rampage DX
The Witcher 2

I'll put in a vote for Overlord. The story is simple but enjoyable, there are a lot of great environments, and while it can get a bit repetitive, throwing around a bunch of minions, who will gleefully break everything in sight and pick up random stuff to use as amour and weapons, never gets old. I've played through it several times at this point, which is something I rarely do with games.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Growth Journey -- MB-4F16FD34FD349170 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Hyposphere -- MB-5B4A6035BB8D3C58 - Taken by Purkake4
Snik -- MB-BD90F0385F0BE3CC - Taken by madjoki
Hero of the Kingdom II -- MB-770639EF81D82C86 - Taken by someguyinahat

Nzyme32

You never really understand how much you miss normal performance computer, till you are stuck with a machine that can't even cope watching a video and using an internet browser simultaneously.

PSU fix can't come soon enough

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Freebie -- MB-D855A073289608A2 - Taken by Lashley

It drops cards.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yesterday I finally found the opportunity to give No Man's Sky a proper go and man, it got me hooked. Have 11hrs clocked in already. Thankfully there were no more crashes, no more lost progress. Playing the game, I found my way around how the save system works now as well. Anyway, many seem to have technical issues which is a shame regardless of the nature of the tech behind it. I for sure would have held off playing until proper performance on my end was established. Thankfully it is already :p

The start was rough for me. I always want no hand-holding from games but when I do get a game like that, I get utterly lost for hours. So it was with NMS. I spent around 9 hours strolling around my starting planet, looting all kinds of stuff until I noticed that I was in the "story mode" which has a thread leading you towards the center of the galaxy slowly but steadily. After noticing the blue hint box on the HUD serving this goal, I started making more progress. Unlocking (I assume) essential blueprints and mechanics.
Either way, I still had tons of fun exploring the few planets I have been on so far. The starting place was a rocky and ugly place which I now realize I've spent more hours than I should have as the second planet was a colorful and lush paradise in comparison. Much more wildlife, grass fields all across interrupted only by lakes. Gorgeous! It was here where the flow of the game started clicking more and more. It goes like this. You scan your near vicinity and all manner of material icons pop up with the real interesting places like outpost etc. and ancient alien monoliths which teach you each a single word of a single alien race. And it's not like a few of those will suffice, oh no. I have rummaged the area for hours and learned over 50 words which still at best let me understand half a sentence. It sounds repetitive - and it can be - but the immersion of exploration and finding new interesting things along the way made it a really fun time sink throughout.
While walking around and scanning the area, I ended up finding a non-natural construction, an outpost of some sort. Inside it were loot and a blueprint. These are either for crafting new materials or upgrades. Outside was a search station which marks a site of interest, shelter, monoliths, outposts, manufacturing facilities etc. These spots are all of unique interest, whether it's loot, blueprints, knowledge or upgrade parts but they are for the most part looking the same throughout. A shelter will always look the same as will an outpost. This is where repetition can set in more clearly. Thankfully I have naturally avoided such a sense by varying the tasks I did and the planets on which I did them. I still want to go back right at it and research planets, learn more languages, buy better stuff. And I haven't even "unlocked" space fights and I assume some other things.

All in all, this game feels like Minecraft at times but also a walking sim, a dog fighter, a trading sim, a survival game at others. What makes the combination of so many genres work, is that it all feels cohesive, balanced and highly polished to me for the most part. Was expecting lots of glitches but it has been the odd sentinel clipping through a tree so far only. I'm constantly impressed at how smooth everything works, every aspect slides right into another and how atmospheric the world universe-building is (not the universe generation but the lore and atmosphere!). This game won't be for anyone, heck I'm shocked this managed to break out of the niche which it's undefined genre-mix is. Well, seeing the massive media presence pull done by Sony I shouldn't be.
A fascinating ride of bewilderment and exploration, ticking all the right boxes and creating many I wasn't expecting. I'm getting a child-like feeling of finding and learning new stuff at every corner.

It's not perfect. A ginormous universe is a statistical achievement which won't mean that much to me in the end, as I'd be surprised to set foot on more than a hundred planets honestly. Planets sorely lack biomes and different climates which is a weird omission. Copy-paste structures designed by the devs will get only less interesting as time passes and a randomly generating mechanism on settlements and structures would have been heartily appreciated. Ground combat is passable with variety in ammunition but so far not much in enemy variation. No matter what could have been better, what is here is marvelous, unique and immensely enjoyable.
--
For those wondering what my specs are that it runs well: i5 4690, MSI 970, 16GB DDR3, SSD. Playing at 1440p/60 with zero issues. Definitely high-end but people with similar or better hardware seem to have problems, so I have no clue what the reason could be.
You're actually making me want to try NMS

Will wait on a sale though

How many copies of Gun Monkeys per turd care package? Because that game has flooded the channels unlike anything else. It's only moved ~770,000 copies as per Steamspy, but with how GMG has pushed it I suspect there's a ton that are unredeemed.
The following are ten games in my backlog. I tried to get a mix of mostly considered good and a few considered bad, in case you want to tell me to play a bad game. Which one am I playing next? I've put them in alphabetical order.

Blue Rose
Deadly Premonition
Gods Will Be Watching
The Last Remnant
Metro 2033
Overlord
Retro City Rampage DX
The Witcher 2

That's a really solid list overall.

I'll give it to Overlord, though. It is a good time--a little bit of everything and filled with charm. Action, adventure,puzzling, strategy, RPG... everything!

I played the first episode of the Telltale Batman game. Bit under 2 hours long, as usual. I should be surprised that they pretend it's a new engine but really, nothing about the game industry surprises me much these days.

So, I didn't like it much. They've added a ton of QTEs during Batman's combat sections. I get why they feel like they had to do it, but I also doubt that anyone in history has ever considered QTEs to be compelling gameplay so they should have reconsidered. Luckily you don't instantly fail/die if you get one or two of them wrong. Still, it's not fun.

The bigger issue is just Batman's story. Over the past decade or so we've been bombarded with Batman related media and going through the same stories for the umpteenth time is just not interesting anymore. When Bruce Wayne meets Selina Kyle and realizes for the first time who she really is... it's just boring. There are at least four different instances of the game telling you about how his parents were murdered in an alley. Man even if someone didn't already know that, there's no reason to bring it up four times.

Telltale kind of pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Tales from the Borderlands and I was hoping that this could have been close to that level of quality, but it's not.

I also had a look at the store page and this game has a lifetime peak concurrent player count of about 600 players. In comparison, Game of Thrones had 6000+ peak concurrent and Tales from the Borderlands had 8000+. I don't remember if those games got free weekends or something like that, but if not, this is quite a huge gap. You'd think an IP like Batman would be able to pull crowds but apparently not.

Hektor

Blue Rose
Deadly Premonition
Gods Will Be Watching
The Last Remnant
Metro 2033
Overlord
Retro City Rampage DX
The Witcher 2

If you don't end up playing Deadly Premonition, you've seriously screwed up

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was never meant to be for me

One issue some people had is that on mobile if you send a pm with a blank body, instead of getting an error message, you just go back to the PM inbox. So it's possible your PM never sent?

In fact:
Code:
sqlite> select `from`, `date`, `title` from pms where `from`='Jawmuncher' order by rowid desc limit 0,10;
Jawmuncher|2016-08-13 18:58|ff
Jawmuncher|2016-07-26 19:54|gg
Jawmuncher|2016-06-10 14:06|gg

Looks like it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played the first episode of the Telltale Batman game. Bit under 2 hours long, as usual. I should be surprised that they pretend it's a new engine but really, nothing about the game industry surprises me much these days.

So, I didn't like it much. They've added a ton of QTEs during Batman's combat sections. I get why they feel like they had to do it, but I also doubt that anyone in history has ever considered QTEs to be compelling gameplay so they should have reconsidered. Luckily you don't instantly fail/die if you get one or two of them wrong. Still, it's not fun.

The bigger issue is just Batman's story. Over the past decade or so we've been bombarded with Batman related media and going through the same stories for the umpteenth time is just not interesting anymore. When Bruce Wayne meets Selina Kyle and realizes for the first time who she really is... it's just boring. There are at least four different instances of the game telling you about how his parents were murdered in an alley. Man even if someone didn't already know that, there's no reason to bring it up four times.

Telltale kind of pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Tales from the Borderlands and I was hoping that this could have been close to that level of quality, but it's not.

I also had a look at the store page and this game has a lifetime peak concurrent player count of about 600 players. In comparison, Game of Thrones had 6000+ peak concurrent and Tales from the Borderlands had 8000+. I don't remember if those games got free weekends or something like that, but if not, this is quite a huge gap. You'd think an IP like Batman would be able to pull crowds but apparently not.

The reaction to the game was immediately and overwhelmingly tepid, mostly due to the competence of the release on all platforms.

Anybody have experience with DLGamer and preorders? Deus Ex is $42 there.

everything I can see says they are legit...some authorized sellers lists for games like Elder Scrolls Online, Witcher 3, Ubisoft games, etc lists them...and they are on IsThereAnyDeal's list they give results from

they need to update their Requirements for Mankind Divided though on their site...those aren't accurate in any way at all

What about GMG when you log in and get the VIP prices. I found that GMG was cheapest, seemingly for a lot of regions

$45 on GMG
$42 on DLGamer
$35(ish) on Game Republic with that email code

I'm trying to see if GR will respond over the next couple days to save some more cash. But those are the cheapest as far as legit retailers are concerned.

$45 on GMG
$42 on DLGamer
$35(ish) on Game Republic with that email code

I'm trying to see if GR will respond over the next couple days to save some more cash. But those are the cheapest as far as legit retailers are concerned.

yeah...DLGamer is the cheapest so far that mentions it includes the pre-order bonuses and on their site it gives a countdown to Friday as the key being available so should get it from them in time to preload

Games Republic is still a question mark on if it'll have any bonuses or be sent in time to preload

giphy.gif

Some of these *might* not work. They should but I'm not 100% sure.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gorky 17 -- MB-3D19376D5631217C - Taken by jgalat. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-C3BC2B47A4CFD371 - Taken by Platy. 1 entrants total.
Street Racing Syndicate -- MB-40A58B0411A5F5CF - Taken by gabbo. 2 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-24320365380437B1 - Taken by boybrushdRED. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone #2 -- MB-0E845116BD4B862B - Taken by dimmer. 1 entrants total.
Galatic Hitman -- MB-D383CA975656E328 - Taken by Kagemusha. 1 entrants total.
Post Master -- MB-2EC953EA9E026254 - Taken by illusionary. 3 entrants total.
Deadly Profits -- MB-BCFFFA3383510AD2 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

t1471225913z1.png

yeah...DLGamer is the cheapest so far that mentions it includes the pre-order bonuses and on their site it gives a countdown to Friday as the key being available so should get it from them in time to preload

Games Republic is still a question mark on if it'll have any bonuses or be sent in time to preload

I saw your post there, lol

I'm hoping they respond. Emailed them, tweeted them, facebook messaged them. No money for them I guess if they don't respond, they don't even have specs up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jawmuncher

One issue some people had is that on mobile if you send a pm with a blank body, instead of getting an error message, you just go back to the PM inbox. So it's possible your PM never sent?

In fact:
Code:
sqlite> select `from`, `date`, `title` from pms where `from`='Jawmuncher' order by rowid desc limit 0,10;
Jawmuncher|2016-08-13 18:58|ff
Jawmuncher|2016-07-26 19:54|gg
Jawmuncher|2016-06-10 14:06|gg

Looks like it.
RIP will remember for next time , most my gaf is mobile

Thanks

So after a week or so in Dead State, I finally realised that you can move anywhere on the map at will which kinda changed the game. And then I noticed a boatload of unused skill points.

Dead State can't stop with the punches.

Oh, and I've resolved to make that Katana lady Michonne from TWD, which has me wondering if I should just respec and restart. (Currently a really bad agility/guns/crafter with a minor in diplomacy, which, aside from getting a new recuit from the minor, hasn't really served me at all.)
The past couple of days. Overwatch has been dropping to like 18-30 fps for me. Anyone know what the cause might be?

New patches are the only changes on its side. IIRC after one of the more recent patches someone mentioned a slight FPS hit, but there's been no widespread complaints or anything. And my FPS, on a 970, has been unaffected.

Upgrading to Windows 10 made everything load more slowly though for a little bit? Which is kinda weird.

Guardian

Banned
New patches are the only changes on its side. IIRC after one of the more recent patches someone mentioned a slight FPS hit, but there's been no widespread complaints or anything. And my FPS, on a 970, has been unaffected.

Upgrading to Windows 10 made everything load more slowly though for a little bit? Which is kinda weird.

I have a 970 too. It started last night. Everythign was fine and then I noticed everything was laggier, open fraps and boom. jumping between 16-30fps for no reason. restarting battle.net didnt do anything either. this morning was okay for a bit and then now it's happening again. I wonder if it was the latest patch or something. Never had this problem since launch.

I changed phones and used the SMS code to transfer the authenticator...

I see it in the app, but I cannot login to the app itself since it always gives me "Oops", even though I can clearly see the rotating codes when I'm typing in the steam app...

Now I just get "too many connections on your address try later"....

I have a 970 too. It started last night. Everythign was fine and then I noticed everything was laggier, open fraps and boom. jumping between 16-30fps for no reason. restarting battle.net didnt do anything either. this morning was okay for a bit and then now it's happening again. I wonder if it was the latest patch or something. Never had this problem since launch.
I can think of three immediate possibilities:
  1. For whatever reason, the Overwatch install got borked and is somehow affecting FPS. Go to Options > Scan and Repair to rule this out. Any erroneous files will be corrected.
  2. GPU drivers. If you have the latest you'll have no issue here. (Or at least, I don't.)
  3. If it is only happening during prolonged play, and happens in other (demanding) games too, it sounds like something on your GPU; maybe heat-related. Running a benchmark would make the issue clear. Dusting your computer might help, if this is the case.

If it does end up being hardware-related and you need support nailing down the issue, TechSupportGAF exists for this very reason.

Hope this helps!

Mivey

Because of the most prolific whitewashing the world has ever known
But you can't blame the church for it. A long haired white dude with child-like features rates better at the critical 30-66 demographic, when compared to a curley-haired darker toned Jew. PR is everything when you want to your religion to take over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom