• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Just thinking about all the bad things Konami is going to do with the Metal Gear ip in the coming years/decades has me so depressed. They are gonna take the greatest video game franchise ever made and turn into in the pure money grabbing shit. It would be so much better if they sold the ip to someone else. Someone needs to step up and buy it before its too late.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just thinking about all the bad things Konami is going to do with the Metal Gear ip in the coming years/decades has me so depressed. They are gonna take the greatest video game franchise ever made and turn into in the pure money grabbing shit. It would be so much better if they sold the ip to someone else. Someone needs to step up and buy it before its too late.

I agree. It's maintain a lot of integrity over the years and have never been created for money grabbing shit.

You know, Metal Gear Solid, 2, III, IV, V, Acid, Acid 2, PeaceWalker, Touch, Mobile, 3DS, Portable Ops, Rising, Revegeance, Twin Snakes, Ground Zero, HD Collection, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

-_-

Pachimari

How's The Banner Saga guys? Does it have an interesting story? Can you influence it in any way? And how's the gameplay compared to Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics?

Oh lol "Greatest Video Game Franchise"

I rolled my eyes at light speed

So many things that I want to say.

If RE can survive 6, then fucking MGS can survive this. JFC

Mikurden

You know, Metal Gear Solid, 2, III, IV, V, Acid, Acid 2, PeaceWalker, Touch, Mobile, 3DS, Portable Ops, Rising, Revegeance, Twin Snakes, Ground Zero, HD Collection, and I'm sure I'm missing some.
Well, you're missing the original games -- Metal Gear was good from the start.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well, you're missing the original games -- Metal Gear was good from the start.

I was thinking more when Kojima became nothing more than a MGS factory, but good point.

If RE can survive 6, then fucking MGS can survive this. JFC

If we actually want to talk about one of the greatest franchises, I think RE qualifies as one.

Something interesting about it is, outside of Mikami, every single entry in the main line 1 thru Revelations 2 has had a different director. Hence why each one always has a different feel from the previous. RE7 will be the second time a director of a previous one returns.

Few more notes,

The director of Outbreak ended up directing 6.

RE7 is being directed by the director of RE:Rev1

The Director of the Gameboy Gaiden, directed RE:CVX

Ok so... in Rimworld,
5057C27A8EA657D38EDE4B3998B91B6E99A38BFE
all of that blood is from two boomalopes. Just two. I don't know how they're still alive.

The worst part is, my hunter wasn't even aiming for either of them. He was trying to shoot a rabbit or something with his pistol, and here we are, 20 clips and a few days later...
If I play Shadowrun, does anything carry over between the games, like your save for example?

For Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong? No save importing--nothing carries over. The events of the previous game are brought up a time or two in each sequel, though, IIRC; it is tastefully done.

If you're playing all of them, be sure to play Returns first if you want to play it at all. It's far and away the worst of the bunch, in all respects, and will be impossible to go back to afterwards.

Vibranium

Banned
I won't be playing Metal Gear Survive until it's 10 bucks or less. Seems like something people could enjoy though I guess and Konami is going to Konami.

I want The Legacy Collection or a Metal Gear Solid 3 remake with the original voice acting (Yes I know it isn't the best, but it does the job).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait... Nier 2 is Revengeance 2, only without pants?

I thought it was just an open world RPG or something... Huh.

The original NieR was an odd one, it was basically a mixture between third-person beat-em-up, an action-adventure game ala Zelda, a bullet hell, an RPG, and had elements that also mixed other genres (such as harvest moon, there is a dungeon that was top-down, etc.). It was rough around the edges, but did have a lot of diversity. This one is looking to press down more on the action and bullet hell elements, but suspect it may have the same diversity present in its own weird ways.

zkylon

zkylewd
thought there was some new stuff

platinum combat stuff does little for me so it's all the same

the important thing for me about nier 2 being on pc is that it's probably gonna be cheaper

Nier lady really does need pants, though.
The original NieR was an odd one, it was basically a mixture between third-person beat-em-up, an action-adventure game ala Zelda, a bullet hell, an RPG, and had elements that also mixed other genres (such as harvest moon, there is a dungeon that was top-down, etc.). It was rough around the edges, but did have a lot of diversity. This one is looking to press down more on the action and bullet hell elements, but suspect it may have the same diversity present in its own weird ways.
I had no idea, wowser. Bullet hell and top-down stuff are legit blowing my mind right now.

Cautiously optimistic.

zkylon

zkylewd
nier ladies don't wear pants cos if u read some translation of the japanese loredump book you'll find there's a really strong and valid and not-exactly-as-trashy-as-mgs5's-whatsherface's super secret reason for that

It will be many moons before any mainstream game comes even half as close to MGSV's level of trashiness. It really was something special in that regard.
Well character designs are done by thigh fetishist Akihiko Yoshida it was pretty much expected after announcement.

Otherwise Automata is based off a play that Taro wrote with similar outfits.
hqdefault.jpg

So there is a deep lore.

Man... Nier lady even has a blindfold on her head posing as a headband. That designer thought of everything.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It will be many moons before any mainstream game comes even half as close to MGSV's level of trashiness. It really was something special in that regard.

So there is a deep lore.

Man... Nier lady even has a blindfold on her head posing as a headband. That designer thought of everything.

Honestly they're more like Raiden's band on his head from Revengeance in that it's more of a visor to enhance their sight since they're all robotic androids anyways.

Ludens

Banned
I just got home from gamescom and I feel like I should explain the tweet that people have been talking about.

I did not exaggerate and I didn't tweet that just for attention or anything. I haven't been keeping up with recent Final Fantasy XV previews so I have no idea what other people think about it. I don't even know if I played the same version. All I know is that the version I played was the exact same version the public at gamescom gets to play. All I did was get a Square Enix VIP card so I didn't have to wait in line for hours. I wasn't playing the game behind closer doors or anything.

The one thing I did notice is that my booth was the only one with a PlayStation 4 controller in the entire row. Every other booth had an Xbox controller. I figured I was lucky since that was the version I've been wanting to play. I was expecting some upgrades and a game that would feel a lot more final than Duscae back in the day.

Now, I won't get into story details or anything since I don't want to spoil people. I'll just talk about the points I mentioned in the tweet, starting with the downgrade talk. This is a weird one for me as I don't usually care about downgrades. As long as the game looks fine, I don't really care if the launch trailer looked a lot better. But in the case of Final Fantasy XV, I guess it's more of an issue since I've played Duscae before. So I actually played the game when it looked better. No hyperbole, I honestly thought the version I played at gamescom looked worse than Duscae. It ran better, but looked worse. It feels like they couldn't improve the performance without dropping the graphics. I remember, near the intro, the logo would appear with an overview of the Duscae zone in the background. The area looked so disappointing. Low quality textures in the background, popin, just a disappointing picture overall. It sure as hell didn't look like a cutting edge JRPG. And it's weird... because Duscae wasn't really that impressive either. But now I notice more popin and blurry/hazy graphics. It's weird. Maybe I just remember Duscae as a better looking game. I should give it a try again.

Now the sound issues were a big dealbreaker for me, but I'm starting to think this was specific to my booth. It was just way too awful to be a bug or anything. I have trouble believing the devs wouldn't notice it. The sound would distort, hitch and lag all the time. It honestly ruined the narrative part of the demo for me. It would sometimes go away, but then it came back, even worse. At one point it was just one distorted mess. I couldn't even make out what the characters were saying anymore. Unless other people who play the demo at gamescom also bring this up, I'm going to assume this is just a specific demo booth issue.

The one thing I might have exaggerated a little are the unresponsive controls. Gameplay worked fine for the most part, but every now and then Noctis wouldn't respond to the actions I'd give him. At one point, the game started to drop frames during a boss fight and it got so bad that Noctis would run left when I'd press the joystick to the right, he wouldn't regain HP even when I'd hide behind a rock and he wouldn't attack when I'd press the attack button. At first I thought he was confused or something but I didn't see any debuff or anything. Other times, Noctis would stop jumping when I'd press X for no reason at all. They could just be bugs, but I do hope they sort this out before release.

As for the car, tons of people have been telling me "BUT WE KNEW IT WAS ON RAILS AND THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE ROAD". Well, yeah. I get you. But that doesn't change the fact it feels like a very cheap/ancient way to drive a car in a blockbuster 2016 title. I'd rather have no car than a halfassed car. It just doesn't feel natural. It feels very sloppy and restricted. I don't get the feeling I'm driving a car. Maybe they'll get it right before the game releases. Who knows. I'm just commenting on what I played right now and I didn't like it that much.

Now, I know I'm painting a very grim picture of Final Fantasy XV but please note that most of my complaints are related to the technical side of the game. I actually enjoyed the new combat system a lot. It felt fluid, more natural and... fun. I understood it right away, unlike Duscae. I can't speak much about the story, but I liked what I saw for now. And honestly, if the gameplay & story end up being good, I won't mind the technical side of things as much. But if you're playing a short demo, you'll notice the flaws a lot more. And in this case, as much as I tried, I couldn't ignore the disappointing graphics.

Dawg posted this on FFXV thread for those who miesed it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Football Manager 2017 pre-orders coming with Touch 2017 is a nice surprise.

Didn't For Honor get announced for PC at the same time as the other versions?

Yeah. Pre-orders went up alongside Ubi's other upcoming games after its E3 conference this year, too. The confusion/lack of clarity surrounding the game was with regard to whether or not there'd be a proper single-player component, not platform availability.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And 5% discount for each previous version (back to 2013) you have in your Steam library.

Ah, yeah, that, too. There are a few region-specific versions of 2013 and Korea got its own version of 2014 as well. I wonder if Sega remembered to include them.

Ozium

is out now

you may have gotten this in the Indie Gala Greenlight #1 bundle, keys should be arriving soon*

*soon for IG means 2 weeks ez

I started Ass Creed IV. It is the same shit.

I started some missions in Havana and I just had to stop. The core mechanics are just so dated and clunky to me.

I don't know what I will do with this series. I was so up on the franchise with II and then it kept fading and fading.

Teeth

I started some missions in Havana and I just had to stop. The core mechanics are just so dated and clunky to me.

I don't know what I will do with this series. I was so up on the franchise with II and then it kept fading and fading.

I still kind of like the content tourism, but once they removed the code breaking puzzles from 2 (and a lesser extent, Brotherhood), I found it really killed my enthusiasm for climbing buildings and stuff.

I skipped 3 and 4 and just played The AC4 standalone DLC, Freedom Cry. It was a 4 hour chunk of AC4 and that was the perfect amount of time to fiddle around in the world and get out before it started to grate on me.

Tizoc

Just do the ship stuff
Or play long enough to unloc the needed ship upgrades and just go around living the pirate life

I just want to say, I think this thread has really cleaned up in the past few months.

There has been a substantial drop in random posts, way off topic gifs, and posts designed to intentionally make people uncomfortable.

Great work.

33650-11-26-A.m.-Chuck-Schumer-Is-Up-First-As-The-Master-Of-Ceremonies-....gif

Even if you talk about something related to Steam, if it isn't part of the zeitgeist or deemed "not relevant" it is looked down. Impressions are often ignored at times anyway. I don't exactly feel welcomed here to post here as much as I do.

Sorry for the offtopic reply, to this offtopic post, complaining about offtopic posts but, I needed that off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom