• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Unless those numbers were sourced from Compulsion itself, they'd include pre-release keys (alpha backers have been playing the game for over a year now). Ghost of a Tale's Indiegogo campaign offered pre-release access also, but the tier was super expensive (€250 versus CAD$60) and the campaign much smaller (€47,800 versus CAD$334,754).

Endruen

I bought Slain from Humble Bundle and got a second copy. Instead of splitting the price with my friend, he gave me a copy of Recettear he forgot he had in his inventory. I'm ok with that.

abracadaver

I bought Slain from Humble Bundle and got a second copy. Instead of splitting the price with my friend, he gave me a copy of Recettear he forgot he had in his inventory. I'm ok with that.

When did you activate it? And how did you get the extra copy?

Ucchedavāda;212223792 said:
Yikes!
Fingers crossed that you can get your money back, because I would be afraid to turn that thing on, personally.

Also, a motherboard with PS/2 ports in this day and age?
Most non-ITX boards still have PS/2 ports.

Well, they're making it easier to pick and choose what games to buy at least.

Yeah. It's just that more publishers are coming over Denuvo these days. There's several new Denuvo clients made in the past several month. At this rate it won't be that long until most PC publishers use Denuvo. EA & Square Enix are already 100% Denuvo for their big releases, Ubisoft is going for that route as well it seems. Oh, Bethesda too!

Ra32qf3.jpg

Regginator

Yeah. It's just that more publishers are coming over Denuvo these days. There's several new Denuvo clients made in the past several month. At this rate it won't be that long until most PC publishers use Denuvo. EA & Square Enix are already 100% Denuvo for their big releases, Ubisoft is going for that route as well it seems. Oh, Bethesda too!

Ra32qf3.jpg

DXMD doesn't use Denuvo though, unless I've missed this rather big news...

At that point I might just go 100% GOG. :p

I've got 3 more planned purchases this year - No Man's Sky, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Civilization 6.

I know No Man's Sky won't use it. I fully expect Deus Ex to use it, and I hope Civ won't use it. But Civ is the first game I absolutely will have to buy no matter what.

After those games, I might sit out some other games and see how things develop. I can accept it in some cases, but I cannot accept the "deal with it" attitude that seem to surround it from all parties.

At that point I might just go 100% GOG. :p

I've got 3 more planned purchases this year - No Man's Sky, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Civilization 6.

I know No Man's Sky won't use it. I fully expect Deus Ex to use it, and I hope Civ won't use it. But Civ is the first game I absolutely will have to buy no matter what.

After those games, I might sit out some other games and see how things develop. I can accept it in some cases, but I cannot accept the "deal with it" attitude that seem to surround it from all parties.

Yeah, Mankind Divided is rumored to use Denuvo. It's SE, afterall.

I wonder what'll happen when most AAA devs use Denuvo. It's not like we have a choice, right?
Except to go along with it or switch to the worst DRM of all, consoles.

Nzyme32

I kind of expect it to at this point. I'd rather Denuvo not be a thing, but it might actually be good if the industry adopts it, as there would be serious problems and chasing to make sure compatibility is maintained through successive OS rather than lose routes of income like with securom.

Yet to have problems with a Denuvo game, but actually considering contacting the to ask some questions about possibilities if they go under / support has to end etc

kagamin

Its kinda weird how I've seemingly managed to avoid Denuvo so far, well I hope it doesn't spread too far I guess I'll say, just let me buy and play my games in peace.

Regginator

There's no EULA to sift through yet.

Yeah, Mankind Divided is rumored to use Denuvo. It's SE, afterall.

I wonder what'll happen when most AAA devs use Denuvo. It's not like we have a choice, right?

I kind of expect it to at this point. I'd rather Denuvo not be a thing, but it might actually be good if the industry adopts it, as there would be serious problems and chasing to make sure compatibility is maintained through successive OS rather than lose routes of income like with securom.

Yet to have problems with a Denuvo game, but actually considering contacting the to ask some questions about possibilities if they go under / support has to end etc

Fuck. This would be my first Denuvo game then, I really hope it isn't as bad as people say then (performance issuesm etc.)

As for what choice we have, @texhno, we could always massively boycott games that use it, but there's no way I won't get DXMD :( Got it pre-ordered since early this year and hype's been through the roof consistently since the reveal.

dex3108

Fuck. This would be my first Denuvo game then, I really hope it isn't as bad as people say then (performance issuesm etc.)

As for what choice we have, @texhno, we could always massively boycott games that use it, but there's no way I won't get DXMD :( Got it pre-ordered since early this year and hype's been through the roof consistently since the reveal.

I still need to see game that has performance issues because of Denuvo.

I don't think it actually is. I've played both Dragon Age: Inquisition and MGSV on my computer, and I didn't find it to a problem like that. DA:I wasn't the best performing games and had some really long loading times, but that might just have been the game itself.

My problem with Denuvo is how more about further limitations in ownership, server depencies, their attempts to cover up and confuse how it really works, and the lack of respect devs and publisher shows by trying to hide they include it, them not engaging in a discussion and that it kills of the possibility of GOG releases.

I'm not going back to consoles, they're just not interesting.

I would probably buy some Denuvo games, but I would loose the respect for the dev and the product. Right now I have no problems paying full price day 1 for devs I want to support, and I stay away from any shady key sellers.

But if the dev won't respect me, why should I respect them? I would probably buy most of my games on sale further on, and the idea of day 1 purchases and preorders will go out the window.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Deer God -- MB-6F8800D027BD21E3 - Taken by TheLetdown
Dwarfs!? -- MB-AEADEEAE41CE2AD7

Tizoc

For those interested in abzu
Finished ABZU an hour ago. It unlocked a few hours ago. I think i finished it un like 1 hour 40 mins or 1 hour 50 mins. Superb but too derivative of Journey in many ways.
Still interested in though if only for its settinf

mp1990

Banned
For those interested in abzu

Still interested in though if only for its settinf
I don't really mind the lenght, as long as the price isn't abusive (and I assume it won't be). Also, I haven't played Journey and have no interest in doing so, so it should be enjoyable nonetheless.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't really mind the lenght, as long as the price isn't abusive (and I assume it won't be). Also, I haven't played Journey and have no interest in doing so, so it should be enjoyable nonetheless.

$16 to begin with ($20 - a 20% early bird discount).

rdytoroll

I'd check it out at at 15€ cause I love Journey (you should totally play it), but 20€ would be a little bit too steep for me. Kinda weird that there is no preorder discount

mp1990

Banned
$16 to begin with ($20 - a 20% early bird discount).
Oh wow that's actually great pricing. If my assumptions are correct it should be priced the same as Headlander here (R$30) which would be just fine by me.
I'd check it out at at 15€ cause I love Journey (you should totally play it), but 20€ would be a little bit too steep for me. Kinda weird that there is no preorder discount
I've been spoiled on most of the impacting moments of Journey, and although I don't really mind spoilers in general, I suppose it would be meaningless to play it now, afaik those moments are basically the core of the game lol.

Ozium

ABZU was always said to be a Journey-like experience so I dunno why TIZOC is outraged
I know you are not outraged

And if it's anything like Journey I will replay it to get all sekerets and to enjoy the relaxation of the fish

also humble bundle hype
koei tecmo? lol

Regginator

I still need to see game that has performance issues because of Denuvo.

I don't think it actually is. I've played both Dragon Age: Inquisition and MGSV on my computer, and I didn't find it to a problem like that. DA:I wasn't the best performing games and had some really long loading times, but that might just have been the game itself.

My bad, I thought the vast majority of complaints about Denuvo were performance related? If performance isn't an issue, why do people not like it? Aside from the DRM on a DRM of course.

rdytoroll

Oh wow that's actually great pricing. If my assumptions are correct it should be priced the same as Headlander here (R$30) which would be just fine by me.

I've been spoiled on most of the impacting moments of Journey, and although I don't really mind spoilers in general, I suppose it would be meaningless to play it now, afaik those moments are basically the core of the game lol.

You might have been spoiled on those moments, but experiencing them for yourself is a whole nother matter. It's best played in one go, so you can immerse yourself into the world they created. Look for a sale sometime and check it out then. It's a beautiful game, even without the "moments"

Thanks, Diedac. I've been wanting to try Deer God. Metroidvania-ish?

Giving back. This game is solid gold.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (TheLetdown, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site. Consider torching your anime collection.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kentucky Route Zero -- MB-126D68C5FD0614F5 - Taken by Catshade. 21 entrants total.

t1470150185z1.png

dex3108

My bad, I thought the vast majority of complaints about Denuvo were performance related? If performance isn't an issue, why do people not like it? Aside from the DRM on a DRM of course.

Because exe is protected so people are afraid that there could be issues in the future with new operating systems and that community won't be able to to something to fix it if developer doesn't want.

Corpekata

Banned

The DRM is the biggest angle. It's from people that literally worked on previous DRM that is now defunct and has issues on certain OS, so it's more of a worry about the future scenario. It also makes modding / fixes harder

I think a big one is that literally no games actually admit to it on their store pages. The only time we find out about it is because someone updates an obscure project website. Some don't like supporting this type of DRM and would like to know upfront when making purchases.

Some do think it's performance related. Others just oppose the idea of even more DRM in their purchases. Others worry about preservation.

I listed my concerns in my previous post.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

The Deer -- MB-C8E333C38F931221

Kaleinc

Banned
People have seen enough of Securom, StarForce, Tages etc to invest in shady time bombs.
Like is the wrong word really, why should anyone like drm in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom