• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

the art is so fucking dope in the evil within

evilwithin_2016_08_02gzyti.jpg
evilwithin_2016_08_02ywatg.jpg
evilwithin_2016_08_027ebqd.jpg

derExperte

Wot I Think: ABZÛ

The PC version of the game seems to detect controller use but the controller instructions are for the PS4 pad. Meditation is triggered by pressing the touch pad, says the game, so I stared at my Xbox pad and tried to figure out which one was going to be the stand-in for a touch pad and there’s no option in the menu to show you key bindings. The thing is, if you press the wrong button you leave the statue and have to start the meditation process again. It turns out you need to press “back”. Stuff like that is an irritant because it feels like one experience has been prioritised over another.

Abzû is a beautiful game. It’s a game stuffed with fish and colour and movement and music. I love those things. Sometimes you feel like you’re actually inside an episode of Blue Planet (I recorded the video above during one such moment). But I don’t love wrestling for control of an experience which feels expansive one moment and restrictive or unpredictable the next.

Another not completely enthusiastic German review. Basically: Too repetitive and restrictive, tries to emulate Journey and SOTC but falls flat after the beginning. Complains about controls too and a comment says the amount of loading screens on PS4 are a problem.

Nzyme32

Zotac GTX 1060 is here! Not meant to waste the day... but probably going to.

Not messed with Zotac stuff before. Usually stuck rigidly to EVGA, but tried out MSI recently without issue. Time to put it in

Ludens

Banned
Zotac GTX 1060 is here! Not meant to waste the day... but probably going to.

Not messed with Zotac stuff before. Usually stuck rigidly to EVGA, but tried out MSI recently without issue. Time to put it in

I have a Zotac 970 and it turns very hot, on Hitman in example before tuning my gpu fan I had a 80c temperature, now it's around 65c.
I read Zotac GPUs are known because they run very hot compared to other brand.

Anyway I played Suikoden a bit, now I'm recruiting people for my castle, but I think the recruitment thing is very stupid. "Hi, I'm Antonio, can I join you", "Sure". Goodbye Antonio, probably I won't ever meet you again.

HB not gonna skip another week hopefully, so KT HB! believe!
BTW what was in a monthly bundle?

HM is this friday. Also be ready for another Ubi Encore bundle today.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-28447EEF72F6D747 - Taken by mp1990. 20 entrants total.

t1470155437z1.png

Nzyme32

I have a Zotac 970 and it turns very hot, on Hitman in example before tuning my gpu fan I had a 80c temperature, now it's around 65c.
I read Zotac GPUs are known because they run very hot compared to other brand.

Anyway I played Suikoden a bit, now I'm recruiting people for my castle, but I think the recruitment thing is very stupid. "Hi, I'm Antonio, can I join you", "Sure". Goodbye Antonio, probably I won't ever meet you again.

Interesting. I did a fair bit of looking around before buying and the consensus was that you'd hit a peak of 70 with this card. There was only one reviewer that mentioned peaking at 78, yet he has a lot of info about the card wrong so I wasn't inclined to trust his setup. Noise is important to me, and this has the same fanless mode that MSI had and peaks at a fairly low level. Anyway, soon I'll know. Got 14 days to return it anyway.

doom is so fucking cool

i love video games

when they don't run like poop

Lol, tell me about it. Enjoyed playing MGS V now maxed out rather than 1366x768 30fps.

Also Doom is amazing. The first 3 or 4 levels are decent, but then it gets goooood. I'm glad I played at ultra violence, which made for a perfectly tense and challenging game rather than easier modes

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think it's safe to say I've finally solved my Witcher 3 troubles as I've managed two consecutive days without any issue whatsoever, aside from my ill-fated attempts earlier to move up from 4.3GHz to 4.4GHz (the latter wasn't even vaguely stable until I upped the voltage by a further 0.4v and entered 1.38v ballpark, at which point heat became a particular concern).

mp1990

Banned
doom is so fucking cool

i love video games

when they don't run like poop
I really can't wait to assemble a new PC so I can run it with some decency. Even on the piece of junk I call a PC the game was still fun, can't imagine how it must be in a better rig. Just a month left.

Actually I should be looking for specs on my new build by now, I don't know jack shit about that stuff so I might ask for help in that "I need a new PC" thread.

Hektor

It's almost time for ABZU, are you readying your wallets, steamgaf?

I already Pre-ordered Deeoos Ex, and think about buying this is the police and No man's zky, add to that that September and October are going go be hella expansive, Shakah brah.

In short, nope, not ready at all.

Nzyme32

I already Pre-ordered Deeoos Ex, and think about buying this is the police and No man's zky, add to that that September and October are going go be hella expansive, Shakah brah.

In short, nope, not ready at all.

The very same. Too much good stuff over the next months that it makes more sense to sideline some things for a later sale.

Ban Puncher

Got my replacement PG279Q today after I sent back my original monitor because of serious backlight bleed and dead pixels on delivery.

irhyYcj.jpg

So far so good.

Cth

Another not completely enthusiastic German review. Basically: Too repetitive and restrictive, tries to emulate Journey and SOTC but falls flat after the beginning. Complains about controls too and a comment says the amount of loading screens on PS4 are a problem.

I've never played Journey before, but it reminds me a lot of Flower.

I'm taking my time going through it.. it helps that I've worked at an aquarium before I think. I could see how some are bored. I'll agree the controls are frustrating at times.

Slain: Back from Hell is pretty legit.

Have played 2½ hour so far, and have cleared 3 of 5 zones in the game.
Not a very deep game, but aesthetics are of course great, the controls are tight, the challenge is pretty good (with a couple of spikes), and the combat is surprisingly satisfying. It feels like there is real weight behind your more powerful attacks, especially when you do a counter-attack. It's a fun mix of what basically amounts to button-mashing (when clearing out trash mobs) and more calculated approaches when dealing with stronger enemies.

It could use a little more polish, here and there, but nothing major.

Arthea

I've never played Journey before, but it reminds me a lot of Flower.

I'm taking my time going through it.. it helps that I've worked at an aquarium before I think. I could see how some are bored. I'll agree the controls are frustrating at times.

Flower is one of those games that I thought I'm throwing my money away by buying it, like I'll play for 15 minutes and get bored. Oh boy was it a surprise how I ended up enjoying it a lot. Controls gets some time to get used to, true.

Well, yeah. There's 108 characters in total that you can recruit in Suikoden.

There's bound to be some minor characters that don't have full-fledged side quest and story.

Grief.exe

I'm wavering on that 2K bundle. I know I'm going to get the lower tier for the Darkness II, but that $9.37 beat the average is making me apprehensive for the upper tier.

There are some good titles there that I don't have, but I am unlikely to play them.

Wok

I have just finished "playing" Batman on Twitch. The game is definitely looking good. I will buy it one day.

I have also tried the Crowd Play on another stream but there seemed to be an unbearable delay which made it irrelevant.

How do you beat that "Ninjery" mission in Not A Hero?

The part
after you rescue the panda
is where I lose my concentration.

The
samurai girls
are tricky af.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm wavering on that 2K bundle. I know I'm going to get the lower tier for the Darkness II, but that $9.37 beat the average is making me apprehensive for the upper tier.

There are some good titles there that I don't have, but I am unlikely to play them.
Same boat, I don't own NBA or the Freedom Force games - but I know I will never play them.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
More Slain! Impressions:

The game pretty much gives me vibes of what traditional Castlevania games to some degree would have done if they sticked with the linear design. The combat is not deep and it doesn't really need to be considering it is a safe formula with challenging design and you should learn from your mistakes. I do find some of the difficulty spikes a bit too much at times but most of my deaths have been a combination of me poorly positioning myself on the map where enemies spawn from both sides in cases where I could control where to be (Sometimes you will be stuck in the middle and will have to deal with the situation which can be pretty intense) and I instead of learning from that mistake repeat it at times or simply don't properly measure my steps to avoid damage. I need to block and counter more but so far is pretty damn fun. Also the soundtrack kicks ass.

Just save your money for today's Humble Nothing Bundle and the spares people will be selling from the Monthly Bundle this Friday.

Nabs

How do you beat that "Ninjery" mission in Not A Hero?

The part
after you rescue the panda
is where I lose my concentration.

The
samurai girls
are tricky af.

Use the stairs to your advantage? Or rush 'em. I don't really remember much, just that my shotty was too pro. Then you have to kill a helicopter, so good luck.

Anteater

i won't be upgrading my monitor unless my dog decide to destroy it like he did with my tv several years ago

I really can't wait to assemble a new PC so I can run it with some decency. Even on the piece of junk I call a PC the game was still fun, can't imagine how it must be in a better rig. Just a month left.

Actually I should be looking for specs on my new build by now, I don't know jack shit about that stuff so I might ask for help in that "I need a new PC" thread.

This is the first pc I've built, hardest part is the motherboard/cpu and cables management I think, swapping out gpu was painless, but if something were to happen to my cpu/mainboard I don't know what I'm going to do :(

Lol, tell me about it. Enjoyed playing MGS V now maxed out rather than 1366x768 30fps.

Also Doom is amazing. The first 3 or 4 levels are decent, but then it gets goooood. I'm glad I played at ultra violence, which made for a perfectly tense and challenging game rather than easier modes

yeah doom is really fun, can't wait to play more, man this gen is great, so many good games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom