• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff, I love revisiting games to wrap up achievement sets.

Me too, but I really hate it when the achievements aren't separable with DLC packages. It would be really nice if those achievements only get added to the list if you have the DLC. Some games I can't tell whether I actually can achieve it or not (I'm looking at you, Sleeping Dogs!)

Some popular VN is coming to steam. Goes by Dies Irae.

PINCPMq.png

https://twitter.com/light_staff_tw/status/766645770162278405

Knurek

dies irae coming to Steam!!!!

Great day for VN fans and gaming in general.

As the Soviet Union marches on Berlin in May of 1945, a secretive group of sorcerers and madmen gathers to perform a terrible ritual. They care nothing for the fate of the Reich. To them, the countless lives lost in the battle are the perfect sacrifice to fuel their spell. After the war, they vanish and are not heard from again, except in rumor. One day, it is whispered, they will return. And on that day, the world will end. Fear the demons in human form. Fear the Longinus Dreizehn Orden.

OmarYusaf

I still can't believe that this is Source engine (PS4 screens)

i think they have a different renderer and a host of modifications to the point it's probably barely even look like source

^What he said. I believe they picked source because of all the off the shelf engines its the one with the least inbuilt/engine level input lag. Its a visual makeover, like in those crappy teen movies.

Lords of the Fallen

Impressions, not content: it's not that good. What people mean when people say, "It's Dark Souls Lite!" is that the game is light on the best parts of Dark Souls, the mystique of the lore or tight controls or the feeling of being difficult but fair, and leans on the bullshitty parts of Souls, the weakest aspect of the series IMO, like fucked camera angles creating ambushes.

There's a gap between what you expect in DS and what you get here that I can't fault the game for. Rolling doesn't have those i-frames you're used to. You have to predict where the hit would land. I can fault the game for leaning on one-hit KOs and quick-pivoting characters and hits that don't land for some reason.

I'm stuck without a sense of wonder. I'm moving to the place because the place is where I have to go to, fighting in the same patterns of attack. The place I shouldn't be going to has high-leveled enemies, and it can be fun to really test yourself by pushing into these areas. Then it's a bummer when it ends with a locked door because you don't have the quest key you get later.

And yet, I'm still playing. I should probably just do the inevitable and put the game down.

Nabs

Lords of the Fallen

Impressions, not content: it's not that good. What people mean when people say, "It's Dark Souls Lite!" is that the game is light on the best parts of Dark Souls, the mystique of the lore or tight controls or the feeling of being difficult but fair, and leans on the bullshitty parts of Souls, the weakest aspect of the series IMO, like fucked camera angles creating ambushes.

There's a gap between what you expect in DS and what you get here that I can't fault the game for. Rolling doesn't have those i-frames you're used to. You have to predict where the hit would land. I can fault the game for leaning on one-hit KOs and quick-pivoting characters and hits that don't land for some reason.

I'm stuck without a sense of wonder. I'm moving to the place because the place is where I have to go to, fighting in the same patterns of attack. The place I shouldn't be going to has high-leveled enemies, and it can be fun to really test yourself by pushing into these areas. Then it's a bummer when it ends with a locked door because you don't have the quest key you get later.

And yet, I'm still playing. I should probably just do the inevitable and put the game down.

Either you'll beat it, or it'll beat you. It beat me. LotF looks like a Dark Souls clone on the surface, but they clearly missed out on all the things that make DS great. I really wanted to like it.

I'm interested to hear your opinions on the game when you're done with it.

Just finished Transformers, I gotta say it makes Korra look like trash in comparison. The final boss fight was great.

Actually, all the bosses were great. The game was fantastic besides the lame RPG grinding items. Can't wait to replay on hard with better gear now.

Also dat BUTT ROCK CREDITS THEME

Jawmuncher

Just finished Transformers, I gotta say it makes Korra look like trash in comparison. The final boss fight was great.

Actually, all the bosses were great. The game was fantastic besides the lame RPG grinding items. Can't wait to replay on hard with better gear now.

Also dat BUTT ROCK CREDITS THEME

But korra was always trash. Too bad TMNT isn't anywhere near as good as Transformers.

Ludens

Banned
I dunno, the whole thing is weird to me. That linked article clearly doesn't understand the concept of Steam keys at all, and the page where you "check to see if you were compromised" week only show you the compromised data if you pay them. Something probably happened, but the whole thing is fishy.

The DLH hack is real: I just checked on leakedsource and my mail was stolen in relation to DLH as showed on the site.

kagamin

Good god @ DXMD benchmarks...
I was gifted the game almost a year ago, but if I weren't I would really reconsider buying it... or I would finally bring myself to upgrade.

Damn hyped about Steins;Gate btw. Never thought I would ever get to play it (didn't know the port was leaked ages ago apparently).

I assume you're just talking about the fact that it has a Steam page, PC was the first port the game received after being on the Xbox 360, and its even been available in English on the PC for a while too, just not on Steam. :p

venomenon

I assume you're just talking about the fact that it has a Steam page, PC was the first port the game received after being on the Xbox 360, and its even been available in English on the PC for a while too, just not on Steam. :p
But is/was it available digitally at all? Not too keen on physical copies, I don't even have a DVD drive, lol
But I'll admit I could probably have played it if I really wanted to. Only got into VNs a couple of months ago and I always read about SG being a prime example of the genre, just had the impression it wasn't on PC or extremely hard to get or whatever.

fake edit: Damn, it is available digitally as it seems. Oh well, I'll just wait for the Steam release now.

kagamin

But is/was it available digitally at all? Not too keen on physical copies, I don't even have a DVD drive, lol
But I'll admit I could probably have played it if I really wanted to. Only got into VNs a couple of months ago and I always read about SG being a prime example of the genre.

fake edit: Damn, it is available digitally as it seems. Oh well, I'll just wait for the Steam release now.

Well you're in luck, this version has the higher res assets and the phone text wrapping is fixed in this version iirc.

kevin1025

Banned
Is there any reason non-Battlefield Origin games lose their player levels after a short period of time? I'm curious about Titanfall 2 on PC, but after hearing about Titanfall 1 and Battlefront (to an extent), I'm not so sure.

bigzgod

Excellent! Trying to decide if I should give away 4 or 5 copies when it releases.
Glad that it seems to be a port of the PS4 version! (1080p Assets woop.)

Been wanting Steins;Gate for a while but ugh, $30 price tag. I'll probably park it on my wishlist and wait for a sale D:

I can't find an answer for the life of me. In Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, how the fuck do you charge things like Trish's lightning? Is it just built up via combos on combat or what?

Vlad

Really enjoying what I've seen of Galak-Z so far, and it's a damn steal at the PWYW level in the current Humble.

It kind of controls like an amped-up Asteroids in that you control the direction of your vehicle and move around by thrusting. However, you can thrust in any of the four cardinal directions, which allows for circle strafing and firing while retreating. It takes a little getting used to, but it allows for some really quick and fluid movement once you get the hang of things. There's some basic stealth elements, too: enemies have vision cones and you can be heard while you're thrusting (no idea how that works when you're flying around in space, but whatever).

After the first section of the game, you get the ability to transform back and forth from a ship to a mech at will, and each one has a completely different fighting style. What's great is that the transformation happens so fast that it's possible to switch quickly between them in the middle of a fight. If I see a group of tough enemies, I can start out as a fighter and shoot a volley of missles into the group to soften them up, switch over to the mech and grapple one of the larger ships to use as a shield, punch the hell out of it while I'm holding it, throw it back towards the other ships, damaging everybody involved, dash forward with a charged sword swing, to do a good chunk of damage to the cluster of ships that are still trying to get their bearings after being smacked around, switch back to the fighter and circle strafe around whoever's left while blasting them with lasers.

It all feels really fluid, but with enough of a delay between the actions that it doesn't feel overly spammy.

Even better is that the enemies don't seem to have any sort of universal AI. Sometimes a ship will try to run away as soon as you get its shields down, then come back when they're recharged, and sometimes a ship will just charge straight at you with no regard for its own safety. I haven't been able to tell if it's based on if they've got friends around, or the type of ship or anything, but it gives a nice variety to the combat.

The game is broken up into "seasons": 5-level chunks that you have to beat without dying in order to progress. The game has a mode where you can restart a level if you die, but that almost seems like something added as a concession to people complaining about the other mode. I've been playing the "restart a season if you die" mode, and I've been finding it plenty difficult, but not crazily so. Of course, I'm only on the second of four seasons right now, so we'll see how that goes later on.

Amzin

I wish people would say names of the games more just all around. Steam and steam images are blocked at work so whenever a game/banner is linked I just see broken image and have to decide if it's worth hopping on my phone to check it out based on usually no info :p

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hey all, is there an easy way to move Steam games between multiple drives? I got a new SSD and wanted to move older games to my HDD when I'm finished with them, but not have to necessarily uninstall them (and vice versa for games on HDD that would benefit from SSD).

Anyone have an idea?

Anyone have an idea?

It is as Gief.exe writes. JaseC answered you in more details a couple of pages back:

Create a library folder on your HDD (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders), then move the game installation folder in [Steam dir]\steamapps\common to [HDD library]\steamapps\common and the corresponding manifest file (appmanifest_appid.acf) in [Steam dir]\steamapps to [HDD library]\steamapps.

If you need to know a game's app id, just visit the game's store page in a browser (or in the Steam client with the URL bar enabled -- Steam -> Settings -> Interface) and check the URL. E.g. BioInf's app id is http://store.steampowered.com/app/8870/, so its manifest file would be appmanifest_8870.acf.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Create a library folder on your HDD (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders), then move the game installation folder in [Steam dir]\steamapps\common to [HDD library]\steamapps\common and the corresponding manifest file (appmanifest_appid.acf) in [Steam dir]\steamapps to [HDD library]\steamapps.

If you need to know a game's app id, just visit the game's store page in a browser (or in the Steam client with the URL bar enabled -- Steam -> Settings -> Interface) and check the URL. E.g. BioInf's app id is http://store.steampowered.com/app/8870/, so its manifest file would be appmanifest_8870.acf.

Thank you! Was on mobile so I didn't see your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom