• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I'm in some strange Witcher mood I think. I started reading the first book, and is about to order a pendant. How long is The Witcher 3 including all the DLC?

I just finished W3 without any DLC a couple of hours ago, 117 hours it took. I think I did pretty much every quest though I only JaseC'ed Velen/Novigrad. Skellige still has like 100 question marks to go!

Mivey

Hmm, I'm in some strange Witcher mood I think. I started reading the first book, and is about to order a pendant. How long is The Witcher 3 including all the DLC?
I'm currently close to the ending in the main game, have started on Hearts of Stone (probably not too far into it) and plan to start Blood and Wine after the regular ending and I'm currently at 135 hours. Soo, maybe 160 after all is said and done? But I did take my time with the main game (without actually finishing all treasure hunting quests)

Anteater

i bought ass creed black flag for uplay, been a while since i got burned out, i'm ready for a new game

those models look so outdated, but otherwise the game looks decent

JarrodL

Having already clocked nearly 50 hours in No Man's Sky, I must say I like the game very much.

It doesn't have much (if any) engaging gameplay per se, so if that's what you're looking for - stay away, it will likely bore you to tears very soon. I, however, just wanted a relaxing, memorable exploration experience where I can land on a huge exotic planet, and be able walk around and discover weird, beautiful or otherwise interesting stuff. And in this NMS really delivers.The worlds in the game have alien creatures of all shapes and sizes, mountains with canyons and strange underground caves, vegetation ranging from sparse shrubs to dense forests (where the 'trees' can sometimes look like weird mushrooms). And then you can look at alien-looking moon hanging in the sky above and realize you can go there and explore it as well. Latest patches have fixed my performance problems and the game now runs pretty smooth, although it did crash on me a couple times.

Some shots of a cool planet I visited yesterday. It had harsh cold weather with occasional freezing storms, plenty of non-aggressive critters to scan, and actual forests (something I haven't encountered before after visiting a dozen or so other planets). It also had plentiful vortex cubes (rare and therefore expensive items you can harvest), which allowed me to earn almost a million units and upgrade to a better ship. I almost didn't want to leave.
The next planet was a desert, scorching dry one.

dMKpdW3.png

klz8SRs.png

gYwqHrh.png

nJxFeIt.png

ueO7xyN.png

uDvnIQV.png

Uzzy

What time is it? Tea Time?

Wrong! It's always Tea Time. But right now, it's time for Uzzy's awesome Cyberpunk Giveaway. So grab your trenchcoat, your mirroshades and your katana, and establish your neural link today!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided -- MB-A2AE18273867F8B0 - Taken by Uraizen. 103 entrants total.
Farcry 3 Blood Dragon -- MB-DA4816A21872A8BD - Taken by KenOD. 30 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-1F14AACD527207E4 - Taken by Kudo. 7 entrants total.
Shadowrun Hong Kong -- MB-8AEA36AF24E695C1 - Taken by ramoisdead. 56 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Remember Me -- MB-0D568DCDB4B486B3 - Taken by Jalal. 15 entrants total.

t1471775884z1.png

Why is it I can download something like Mankind Divided at my max rate of 5.8 MB/s but I can barely download Nightsky at 100k or less even after changing servers?

Lain

What time is it? Tea Time?

Wrong! It's always Tea Time. But right now, it's time for Uzzy's awesome Cyberpunk Giveaway. So grab your trenchcoat, your mirroshades and your katana, and establish your neural link today!

Tea brings in the goods, something coffee doesn't. Once again Tea > Coffee.

That Star Citizen gameplay demo is now up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

Still not the greatest of quality but yea...

Might just be the most amazing demonstration I've ever seen for a video game.
The audience is going crazy for everything. Looks neat though. Much better than when I tried it out pre 2.0.
Having already clocked nearly 50 hours in No Man's Sky, I must say I like the game very much.

It doesn't have much (if any) engaging gameplay per se, so if that's what you're looking for - stay away, it will likely bore you to tears very soon. I, however, just wanted a relaxing, memorable exploration experience where I can land on a huge exotic planet, and be able walk around and discover weird, beautiful or otherwise memorable stuff. And in this NMS really delivers.The worlds in the game have alien creatures of all shapes and sizes, mountains with canyons and strange underground caves, vegetation ranging from sparse shrubs to dense forests (where the 'trees' can sometimes look like weird mushrooms). And then you can look at alien-looking moon hanging in the sky above and realize you can go there and explore it as well. Latest patches have fixed my performance problems and the game now runs pretty smooth, although it did crash on me a couple times.

Some shots of a cool planet I visited yesterday. It had harsh cold weather with occasional freezing storms, plenty of non-aggressive critters to scan, and actual forests (something I haven't encountered before after visiting 5 or so other planets). It also had plentiful vortex cubes (rare and therefore expensive items you can harvest), which allowed me to earn almost a million units and upgrade to a better ship. I almost didn't want to leave.
The next planet was a desert, scorching dry one.
Good write-up. Agree with all you said. Very relaxing, little feeling of danger.

Pachimari

So I started up The Witcher III again, and is currently at the first inn, where I'm asking around for Yennefer and learning the game of Gwent. I have been here in my last playthrough as well before I started over, but I'm excited to get to the point where I haven't been before. I'm taking this one nice and slowly.

Ludens

Banned
Is there anyone with a spare key for Alisha's Story DLC for Tales of Zestiria?
I would pay 2$ for it.

Also great giveaways Uzzy!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-338F9E6A09AF482E - Taken by Strazyplus

Ludens

Banned
So I started up The Witcher III again, and is currently at the first inn, where I'm asking around for Yennefer and learning the game of Gwent. I have been here in my last playthrough as well before I started over, but I'm excited to get to the point where I haven't been before. I'm taking this one nice and slowly.

You didn't even finish the prologue.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

That's the prologue

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
The SC presentation must've been a success, we've moved from 'vaporware' to 'give for NEO'.

funny, isn't it? How people ever could believe that SC is a scam is way beyond me.

I mean nobody knows if it will be any good in the end, but a scam, just lol

That said the demo was mighty impressive!

Zanzura

KingBroly

Banned
I'm having an issue here. So I have part of my Steam library on my portable HDD that I had setup on a previous OS install, but because of some Windows 10 horsecrap, I lost that install and had to re-do some stuff. I now find out that while the games are still on said portable HDD, Steam doesn't recognize it.

How do I get Steam to recognize the Steam Library WITHOUT having to re-download these games?

EDIT: I figured it out.
- Went to Settings
- Went to Downloads
- Hit Steam Library Folders and set a new Folder

That's the prologue

Wow, that's about how far I got too and that was easily 5-6 hours of the game. I stopped playing on the PS4 and I've been waiting to fire on the PC.

---

I'm planning on wrapping up Tomb Raider 2013 this weekend. Played the first half on PS3, PS4 and now finally PC where I'm in the third act. I really like the game; it makes me swear less than Uncharted games, which always end up having some level design where I wonder "the developers thought this was good?" after I die for the 20th time. I get none of that with TR.

I should probably return to Shadowrun Returns as well. I was really enjoying it and everyone says Dragonfall is even better. Cannot wait!

Pachimari

This is horrible. I have spent the last hour trying to sign into Final Fantasy XIV and my Square Enix account, and buying a months subscription. But it have to be almost impossible for me to figure out HOW.

Sendou

Might play The Witcher 1 and 2 for the first time ever in preparation for 3. I did already beat 3 but I thought I was missing out on story because I hadn't played 1 & 2. Also this time I'll have the DLC to play as well. Any essential mods to 1 & 2? Anything else? To be honest I wouldn't play them if it wasn't for the 3rd entry in the series.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm enjoying this Fun House mystery in Danganronpa 2.

Hey hey.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Might play The Witcher 1 and 2 for the first time ever in preparation for 3. I did already beat 3 but I thought I was missing out on story because I hadn't played 1 & 2. Also this time I'll have the DLC to play as well. Any essential mods to 1 & 2? Anything else? To be honest I wouldn't play them if it wasn't for the 3rd entry in the series.

For 1, I remember liking the mod that added scabbards. There was some texture mods for characters that seemed like they helped. And I don't remember how that game handled inventory or weight, but if there's one to remove those go ahead and grab it.

For two, pretty much just the weight and inventory ones.

Nzyme32

I have not played 3. I was going to start with 1 first, but was told about a bit in a swamp being so absurdly shit that it isn't worth playing. I have started on 2, running the game "maxed out" with ubersampling, looks bloody great! A bit confusing with the lore though, which does get explained gradually, but I think I might watch a playthrough of 1 so that I can better understand 2

Once I finish that, I'll finally buy and enjoy Witcher 3

KingBroly

Banned
Even lower with the coupon code : BNE15OFF

It can be applied to all the sales at Bamco store.

AND if you managed to get a DLC code from when the game came out, that still works. At least it did for me. Since you couldn't redeem it without owning the game first, and them saying it was going to expire a week after it came out, I thought I'd give it a try. It worked.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The funhouse was my least favorite section of the game. At least they succeeded at
making it feel utterly miserable.
Well, I totally get what you're saying. It feels cramped. But this escape room is cool. Now for VLR and 999 to go on Steam and on sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AND if you managed to get a DLC code from when the game came out, that still works. At least it did for me. Since you couldn't redeem it without owning the game first, and them saying it was going to expire a week after it came out, I thought I'd give it a try. It worked.

Steam keys don't expire. They can be blacklisted in select circumstances (this massive blunder being the most extreme example), but they otherwise exist in perpetuity.

Nzyme32

No Man's Sky Patch Notes
20 AUGUST - HELLOGAMES

Since No Man’s Sky on PC released last Friday the team has been incredibly busy. We’ve gathered all the support requests to support@hellogames.co.uk, but we’re also tracking posts on Steam, GoG, Reddit and anywhere we can find online.

Right now the team is fully focused on categorising and fixing support issues in order of priority, based on the number of people they are affecting. The information and crash dumps you’ve posted have been indispensable in helping us track down and fix these issues.

We’ve now released 3 patches, and hopefully they really improve the experience for everybody. As you can see it’s been a huge amount of work for a small team. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Next week expect at least one more major update, which will enter testing on Monday once we finish working on it this weekend. Once all our support requests have been answered then we can begin improving the game with new features :)

See below for notes on all three recent patches!

Patch 1
The focus of patch 1 was to add greater support for more hardware. Either specific hardware configs, or hardware outside our min spec. We want as many people to be able to play as possible, and these were our most reported issues.

AMD Phenom Support
Game is now confirmed working on Phenom CPUs.
Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2,
Havok Physics has also now created new libs for us to add Phenom support.

Alt-Tab has improved
Some systems/configs were crashing or not pausing correctly on Alt Tab. This should now be resolved.

Improved Performance
On CPUs with 4 threads or fewer, performance has been improved.
On CPUs with exactly 8 threads, performance has also been significantly improved.

Framerate Stuttering due to Shader Caching
Framerate was initially stuttering due to shaders not being correctly cached by the GPU on some systems. We have replaced the GPU caching system. You may notice some stutter during the Galactic Map intro to the game (the very first time you run), but it should be smoother from then on. This is particularly true on ATI cards.

Max FPS Cap
On some CPU/GPU configurations, setting Max FPS to 60 or 30 was not giving 60 or 30 FPS (causing stuttering). This has been fixed.

Radeon 6xxx
Added support for this GPU, which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully.

Save Corruption

Solution to try to prevent saves getting corrupted no matter what’s going on in background processes (see Patch 3 below, where we also are attempting to recover corrupted saves).

Intel GPU Detection
We do not currently support Intel GPUS. We are working on this for a future patch, to expand our min spec.
In the meantime, the game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high end GPU has not been selected.

Gsync
Gsync has been disabled by default, which was causing an issue for some users

Mouse Smoothing

Generally this is most helpful for players with sub-30 FPS.
Smoothing on mouse movement has been improved to prevent hitching or stuttering, and is now adjustable through the Options menu in “Mouse Smoothing”.
It defaults to off. If you feel micro stutters in framerate affecting controls, feel free to turn this up. If you feel the framerate is "slow" or "lumpy", please make sure that this is turned off

Patch 2
For patch 2 our focus was on the most reported bugs or crashes. Our aim was to improve stability, and make sure player’s saves are safe in future.

Stuck under the world

It was possible for players to save their game stuck under the terrain, leaving them stuck. This was caused by getting shot down in atmosphere, and their ship reaching ridiculous speeds as it crashed to the planet. This has been resolved.
Whilst it won't happen anymore, if you are currently already stuck under the world, we detect this and do our best to rescue you.

Crash after warping
Occasionally at random the game would lock up after a warp, or return to desktop. This was due to very specific timing in hardware (a threading specific bug) – meaning that unfortunately for some people it was regular, and for others they would never be able to recreate it. This was our most reported crash during gameplay, and has now been resolved.

Game failing to save until you died
If the player died, and then loaded the game ten times without saving, and then died, player progress wouldn’t be saved from then on until you died again. This is fixed now! This was also causing player’s saves to grow in size.

Crash fixes in scanning
Quite a rare crash, but in certain scenarios it was possible to scan from space or on planet and crash the game.

Crash warping inside a freighter
When warping into a battle sometimes the player warped into the inside of a freighter and everything went crazy :(
This is fixed now.

Patch 3
Patch 3 is targeted at our next most common support requests, fixing the next most common crashes, as well as trying to help players who have become stranded or have corrupted their save files.

Stranded in Space Station
If you died in your ship while in atmosphere of a planet with a damaged ship, you could respawn in a space station with your launch thrusters and pulse engine damaged. If you did not have the resources to fix them then you could no longer take off and be stuck there. This will no longer happen.

Loading Corrupted Save Files
Some players have corrupted save files, we’ve been working with them to still load saves even if they are corrupted (this can happen for many reasons outside of the games control). This fix has allowed many players to still load their save even if they have become corrupt on PC.

Crash fixes for next three most commonly reported issues:
- As the player gathers a huge amount of discoveries, there was a threading issue that becomes more prevalent the more discoveries you have, and could cause the game to crash.
- If you had collected a large number of blueprints, in a specific order it was possible to crash the game when you received a new blueprint. This has been fixed.
- Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming).

Overall these fixes should remedy around 70% of our current support requests. We're working on the next 30% right now. If you are still experiencing issues please do mail support@hellogames.co.uk

Thank you,
Hello Games

Kifimbo

They should all work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Egyptian Prophecy -- MB-856BA2294BFCDD85 - Taken by Hakkelus
Jones On Fire -- MB-249DC9C681C1260A - Taken by Saty
Pixel Piracy -- MB-747493A72FC1AD7D - Taken by jgalat
Experience 112 -- MB-FB6191053906BD46 - Taken by Abomination
Vanguard Princess -- MB-ED2D49353D599C11 - Taken by longlivegaming

Nzyme32

Looking at the Prey gameplay trailer from Gamescom, quite happy to see it isn't the same old FPS crap and is at least doing something a bit different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom