• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do we have to go through this song and dance every time a game releases?

It'll normalize one of these days.

Remember when the thread was flooded with fresh scoops straight from the Russian registry viewing programs?

Do we have to go through this song and dance every time a game releases?

Go look at No Man's Sky.

I don't think you understand how this system is calculated, I suggest you don't attempt to use numbers until 72 hours in. The system can't crawl enough profiles to make the statistics accurate.

Then again, I say this literally every time a game releases so I'll see you guys when the next AAA game launches. Sergey should just go back to blocking the data until it normalizes.

First of all, it's not a malicious attempt for me to bring the discussion. I never understand why we should feel somewhat offended by these early, not yet stabilize, numbers. Yes, I know it's not yet stabilize before the third day, but that's not my point. I only think that estimating sales from the first two day numbers is also interesting. That's it.

Grief.exe

First of all, it's not a malicious attempt for me to bring the discussion. I never understand why we should feel somewhat offended by these early, not yet stabilize, numbers. Yes, I know it's not yet stabilize before the third day, but that's not my point. I only think that estimating sales from the first two day numbers is also interesting. That's it.

You are comparing Dragon's Dogma's normalized data to the first day of data for Deus Ex, which is completely erroneous. No Man's Sky has 112,000 for their first data set, which is lower than the current Deus Ex result.

dragons-dogma-data.jpg

These things take time, this is how statistics work. The numbers are completely irrelevant currently, give it a few days to come up with accurate, relevant results.

You use Dragon's Dogma as your benchmark for comparison, could you post the first three days for that game? Are you using the normalized Dragon's Dogma data to compare to day one Deus Ex data?

No Man's Sky has 112,000 for their first data set, which is lower than the current Deus Ex result.

Then my prediction is gonna be off, isn't it?

Maybe I'll revise it to 250k on the third day. We shall see.

Corpekata

Banned
Deus Ex MD peaked at 50k users which is higher than games like Doom have reached and that was very successful on PC too. I'd wager it lands around 400-500k, which is the range a lot of successful AAA type games launch around in the first few days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Its a videogame. Play it.

Nerd.

Fine...effort. Imagine a very well made trading card game mixed with unit battles ala FFT or Xcom (on a 2d plane). With gorgeous pixel art with intricate fight and spell animation.

tumblr_njfctszrB11tah9pwo4_250.gif
tumblr_njfctszrB11tah9pwo2_250.gif

With a tutorial and a single player challenge mode that actually teaches you the various mechanics each card/unit has.

With near instant matchmaking (because I guess a ton of people are playing?).

With one of the best UIs in the genre where you can see what each card/unit does by simply mousing over it. And not just what the card does per se, but for example this card has "growth", which is not specific to said card but a overall mechanic? It will explain that too in simpel text when you mouse over it!

tumblr_njfctszrB11tah9pwo5_250.gif
tumblr_njfctszrB11tah9pwo1_250.gif

It feels like you are playing a mix of magic the gathering and a board game, the rules are so well explained and crafted that you can pull off a bunch of cool combos and situations with yoir decks, because the nature of the actual moving the units part.

Example: Earlier I lost a game because I was chasing the enemy general (generals are the "main" card you need to kill, basically your avatar) around the field and I just couldnt get to her because the player kept shitting out a bunch of small minions between myself and her (which is part of not only that general ability but that defk in general), and because this uses tiles like FFT for example, I physically couldn't get close enough, it left me like "that is actually pretty fucking smart and neat and damn son"

Also the f2p-ness of it seems fairly generous for the few hours I played. You can unlock all 6 factions by just playing one practice game against them. You unlock cards as you level up factions. You constantly earn gold everywhere and you can buy booster packs with said gold (or, I assume, use it for draft runs like Hearthstone, which is a mode I just unlocked earlier but couldnt see if it needed gold to run because they gave me a free ticket, but the fact that it has tickets to run implies you need to buy them). There are daily quests like hearthstone aswrll (in fact most of the game modes are straight out of hearthstone).

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I am super impressed with it and as someone who has dabbled eith many card games, this is the first one that I not only played more than 1 hour, but that I can see myself playing regularly. Hell, I told a friend of mine that basically only plays hearthstone and wow and he was playing it even longer than I was (he is a huge magic the gathering player too so he knows his tcgs).

I rarely give these long winded recomendations because... well im lazy and I think people should play what they want and not what others tell them to, but having said that,go play Duelyst because I'm telling you to.

Its also only like 500 megs and you dont even need to create a seperate account, so points for not requiring effort.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
great write up. decided to DL as you were writing it, but i'm sure it will be helpful in the future

it feels good like you described. whats your referall code?

I have no fucking idea... I should have checked that shouldn't I? Lol

Welp at least you know its coming from a honest place and not just because I want the referral stuff >_>

But learn it, and if you like it, fight me
tomorow when im home

iosefe

I have no fucking idea... I should have checked that shouldn't I? Lol

Welp at least you know its coming from a honest place and not just because I want the referral stuff >_>

But learn it, and if you like it, fight me
tomorow when im home

i'd love to. i'm digigng it so far, between this and faeria, i'm in Card Board Game bliss

also, got fucked by an AI because i kept top decking Spells, even with replacing. 10/10

Rhaknar

Once you unlock all the factions (which you do alkost imediatly if you just play 1 practuce match against each, and not just the one the tutorial tells you to), you can pretty much just start using them if you like their style. Dont be a jackass like me who kept leveling the default one without even looking at the others (my friend for example imediatly went with the summoner lady and even disenchanted the other decks cards for mats to craft new summoner cards lol)

I actually enjoy the default faction but I wish I had tried the others a bit

Tellaerin

The relative lack of AAA, sci-fi, open-world RPGs is a crime.

I need a AAA Shadowrun. Or at least port that SNES version.

I've been saying that for a long time now. I've wanted a good GTA-style science fiction game since GTA3 first hit. Seems like a natural fit for cyberpunk, so I'm shocked no one's tried it yet.

From the Cosmic Star Heroine thread: the store page is up!

Coming soon.

Feels like I've been waiting for this forever. Glad a release is finally in sight.

dex3108

My internet is back weeeeeee. They really do work overnight at my ISP. But I guess that no internet helped me a bit. I cleaned my HDDs from junk, finished reading a book and I spent more time with my family :D

From the Cosmic Star Heroine thread: the store page is up!

Coming soon.

Yay! More Kickstarter RPGs on the way when I'm in the middle of Pillars of Eternity. And even then I had to take a break from The Goose and Fox to play Mankind Divided.

I'm sure I'll finish Cosmic Star Heroine this year though.

Sch1sm

I usually trust this guys reviews!
:p

Great little puzzler.

I see whatcha did there, bob. But yeah, I agree with your review of it entirely. The only thing that would differ if I wrote one, is that the music definitely aids that experience granted through the images you see after each level. I actually watched the whole art book slideshow deal at the end, it was nice. Probably going to be one of my Steam GOTYs this year, even if it sits at #53 with 1 vote.

Erekiddo

I'm not particularly trying to game any system here, having currently over 1k Steam games, but a curiosity crossed my mind.

What prevents someone from buying a game and using family share to bypass the 'less than 2 hour' limitation? My friend(s) or another PC of mine could play a game without limit. Or playing offline? Seems like an easy way to get essentially a 2 free week rental.

Monooboe

I'm starting to appreciate that one can easily what kind of language support a game has on Steam. I'm trying learn french so right now I'm playing Broken Sword 5 with both french voice over and subs, while I can follow along the story but damn my brain hurts.XD Never knew how much it fatiques the brain to follow a new language in a non-schoolbook setting.

Deques

I'm not particularly trying to game any system here, having currently over 1k Steam games, but a curiosity crossed my mind.

What prevents someone from buying a game and using family share to bypass the 'less than 2 hour' limitation? My friend(s) or another PC of mine could play a game without limit. Or playing offline? Seems like an easy way to get essentially a 2 free week rental.

You mean that A buys a game and B who has A's family share can play the game and exceeds the 2 hours limit? That sounds an abuse, not sure of it's possible

Pachimari

Duelyst.

Play it nerds.

I'm feeling tempted as I love card games, and this one is F2P, so it's great.

Although I have too many games I'm playing at the moment: Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Pokémon Go and Pokémon TCG, and various iPad games and singleplayer games on Steam.

No time I tell ya. No time. Tiiiime! =;(

I'm starting to appreciate that one can easily what kind of language support a game has on Steam. I'm trying learn french so right now I'm playing Broken Sword 5 with both french voice over and subs, while I can follow along the story but damn my brain hurts.XD Never knew how much it fatiques the brain to follow a new language in a non-schoolbook setting.
I should do that with German which I'm learning.

Monooboe

I should do that with German which I'm learning.

Combining fun and learning has to be the best way to learn, at least I hope it will be. My english is all thanks to movies and games, so I decided to play anything that has french to play it in french. Well maybe not deep RPGs haha.

Combining fun and learning has to be the best way to learn, at least I hope it will be. My english is all thanks to movies and games, so I decided to play anything that has french to play it in french. Well maybe not deep RPGs haha.

I was thinking about watching movies from my DVD collection in german with english subtitles.

derFeef

Same for me, although I think my German (1st language) has suffered a bit from that, which sounds wird but I truly think it did.

I was thinking about watching movies from my DVD collection in german with english subtitles.

Do that with a very familiar movie, maybe not too dialogue heavy with screaming and the likes.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Holly Molly, Obduction runs like a charm. Slighltly above minimal requirements. 1080p, 100% scaling, medium settings.

What's your GPU? I have a 660, which is exactly the minimum requirement, and I fear I will be staring at a pretty low framerate at native res.

Wok

What's your GPU? I have a 660, which is exactly the minimum requirement, and I fear I will be staring at a pretty low framerate at native res.

AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 1 GB VRAM. I have no measured the framerate, it is playable but I don't think it is a "steady 60 fps".

Edit: According to FRAPS, between 30 and 35 fps. Unless there are areas of the game which are very demanding, I don't see a reason why the framerate would change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom