• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
The risk is that it won't stay public.

Thing is, it doesn't need to be public. It's a useful tool for developers, but as we see time and time again, the general public just don't understand it - from statistically irrelevant time-periods (DE:MD being released two days ago), to misunderstanding the correlation between owners and sales (which devs do as well, to be fair).

I'd be very happy if it went private. Registration using company emails only, so that publishers and developers could use the data without people wibbling that NMS sucks because concurrent users have gone down.

Nzyme32

Sounds like SteamSpy will restore all game sales data.

de4b38cfed.png

I guess there's only so many requests you can honor after your service loses its point.

EDIT: He did it. Everything is back.

While I think he is doing the right thing, it's playing with fire.

SteamSpy will be losing its usefulness as this trend continues (assuming it does increasingly continue also). Bringing the data back allows SteamSpy to remain a valuable resource for understanding the market and learning from what everyone is doing. Of course now that will get the companies who want their info down to reach to the next branch for assistance, Valve. Either they force SteamSpy to remove those details for the respective companies or pull the whole thing down (or as a distant possibility Valve changes how all this data can flow themselves).

I really wonder though if there is an angle being missed here. I wonder if the data is actually damaging for these companies, for example if investors base their info on SteamSpy, and that leads to difficulties for those companies to work with them on certain things.. I don't know.

Hektor

Thing is, it doesn't need to be public. It's a useful tool for developers, but as we see time and time again, the general public just don't understand it - from statistically irrelevant time-periods (DE:MD being released two days ago), to misunderstanding the correlation between owners and sales (which devs do as well, to be fair).

I'd be very happy if it went private. Registration using company emails only, so that publishers and developers could use the data without people wibbling that NMS sucks because concurrent users have gone down.

Idiots not being able to understand the information should never be a reason to withhold it imho

Pixieking

Banned
Idiots not being able to understand the information should never be a reason to withhold it imho

But, again, we don't need it. Armchair Steam experts and Monday-morning Quarterbacking about releases would just be shut-down by switching to dev only data.

I'm damn curious about sales figures myself, but they don't help any of us really.

1. Many people understand the limitations.
2. Those who don't are quickly informed/educated about the limitations.
3. The few who still continue to make false claims using misleading data are either banned or ignored.

If you believe a world with less information is a better world, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Less information for people who don't need it. Less information for people who just throw numbers about. Less information for the average NeoGAF user. But not less information for the people for whom it really should serve - developers and publishers who want to know if the zombie/survival/moba bubble has burst.

But *shrugs* like you say - agree to disagree. :)

Kifimbo

1. Many people understand the limitations.
2. Those who don't are quickly informed/educated about the limitations.
3. The few who still continue to make false claims using misleading data are either banned or ignored.

If you believe a world with less information is a better world, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Nzyme32

It's a good point. If they could figure out a way for the info to not be public but always available to developers, I'm sure it would make most folk happy. Probably piss off some, like us inquisitive folk and those analysts / journalists and alike

Phinor

I really wonder though if there is an angle being missed here. I wonder if the data is actually damaging for these companies, for example if investors base their info on SteamSpy, and that leads to difficulties for those companies to work with them on certain things.. I don't know.

It probably is damaging to some companies but at some point you have to say screw that, don't lie to your investors. If that's why you are staying afloat, perhaps it's better for your company to die. That path just leads to worse and worse decisions.

Or perhaps it's just me and my silly thoughts. I don't value lying and dishonesty at all.

Sounds like SteamSpy will restore all game sales data.

de4b38cfed.png

I guess there's only so many requests you can honor after your service loses its point.

EDIT: He did it. Everything is back.

He's an absolute madman!

ae9.jpg

I wonder when he's going to get hit with the first C&D letters on some crazy basis made up by some lawyer.

Wok

The first reviews are up for the Turing Test. 12 hour long, not bad... if the puzzles are interesting.

Grisaia's sequel seems to have tanked hard
Clannad at 30k owners.
Muv-Luv at 8k.
Trails 1st closing on 200k.

GOG is up in Brasil, with regional pricing.

Tanked? 3000 are quite normal for VNs. 10.000 for a VN are actually already a great success and the game is just 2 months old. I will wait for a steamsale to buy it because I havent even started the first one.

I think a problem with VNs on Steam right now is that the time of "Buy every VN on Steam to support VNs" is over and mostly people now have to finish their backlog before buying new VNs. I mean we get good VNs almost every month now. We just got the new minori VN last month and Umineko.

Pixieking

Banned
Tanked when compared to the first game's 22k.

Aaaaand we're into the wibbling over numbers...

"Tanked" is subjective. Yes, less sales than the previous game, but we don't know if what they've taken now with those 3k sales has covered their costs, and that they're now into profit.

This is why numbers are just pointless for us - they only tell half the story, and the other half is financial, which we'll never see a true picture of.

Oh, and, hey, let's ignore the fact that Fruit was released over a year ago, compared to the other games being released at the earliest 3 months ago.

Edit: Genuinely no offense meant, but you can't say something has tanked when comparing sales of a game released in May 2015 to sales of a game released May 2016.

Tanked when compared to the first game's 22k.

Sure but the first one also had sales and has been out for over one year.
I think most people buy VNs during sales nowadays, especially the full priced ones.

About 4000 units are quite normal for VNs. And the translation of the whole trilogy was kickstarted.

Aaaaand we're into the wibbling over numbers...

"Tanked" is subjective. Yes, less sales than the previous game, but we don't know if what they've taken now with those 3k sales has covered their costs, and that they're now into profit.

This is why numbers are just pointless for us - they only tell half the story, and the other half is financial, which we'll never see a true picture of.

According to most VN publishers 3000-5000 units are the normal sales they usually see.

I also dont know SP sells an adult version on their own store.

Anno

A new expansion has been announced for Endless Legend. Their fourth. I haven't played the game in some time but I barely even remembering there being oceans, which is what this is focused on. Interested to see how it turns out. And glad to see the game is apparently still doing well enough to warrant sizeable expansions.

Wok

Do we have a list of all the games that used to be removed from SteamSpy's analytics? I would be interested to see whether we could infer the reasons some where removed.

I imagine most of these were removed so that producers/devs could negotiate better deals by leaving fewer cards in the hands of funders, etc.

Guess ill buy it off gmg when i get home
Could u make a thread for the reviews pls

I don't make any thread, I only post. I don't have the skill.

fantomena

From what Ive read in the PC perf thread, Deus Ex is pretty RAM hungry. So saying the recommended is 16GB was seemingly not just for shit and giggles.

Coreda

Does MSI Afterburner cause out of sequence frame issues for anyone else when capturing video using x264?

Was performing well until a few months ago during Witcher 3 B&W where it began having problems where captured video displayed frames out of sequence throughout, causing a headache inducing stuttering effect.

It's been off and on even since when capturing from the game.

From what Ive read in the PC perf thread, Deus Ex is pretty RAM hungry. So saying the recommended is 16GB was seemingly not just for shit and giggles.

It's not even the best looking game, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom