• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
True, but they are entirely within their rights to request Steamspy doesn't show it, right? If not, then, yes, my posts are entirely incorrect. :)

It's within the publisher's rights to ask, but SteamSpy isn't doing anything illegal and is under no contractual obligation to oblige.

I'm pointing out (in a snarky manner, apologies), that the sales data is technically the publishers. Yes, Steamspy uses publicly available data on profiles, but each-and-every time a publisher requests that their data not be shwon on Steamspy, there's posts querying why, when it is surely the publisher's right to request that not be shown.

I have publishers ask stuff like this of Enhanced Steam all the time. My general rule of thumb is: if it's good for the consumer (being asked to remove the DRM warning from a game after DRM has been removed but their legal department won't change the legal description that says it still has DRM) I'll do it. If it's bad for the consumer ("please remove the lowest price section from our store page because we're losing money...") then I'll either tell them no or ignore them. The only caveat I have to this is that I've extended the hand of friendship to Valve and told them that if there is any feature they want removed from Enhanced Steam then I'll be happy to do so - and so far they've never made any such request.

Good on Steamspy for standing up for the consumer. Knowing approximately how many copies of a game have sold (in addition to current player stats) is a great way for consumers to know how active a game's multiplayer is or how vibrant the game's modding scene might be.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't see on what grounds.

It's very similar to a political party requesting some statistical research group not to release polling results.

While I agree that developers and publishers certainly have the right to request that, I also think SteamSpy has the right to decline those requests.

Mmmm, the political party analogy is a good one, actually. Unless the ownership data is covered under some confidential data clause (very unlikely), then, yeah, my point - on hiding/releasing figures, anyways - kind of falls apart. I can see why Steamspy dude acquiesced initially on hiding some games, but past a certain point, how many requests do you allow.

Good on Steamspy for standing up to the consumer. Knowing approximately how many copies of a game have sold (in addition to current player stats) is a great way for consumers to know how active a game's multiplayer is or how vibrant the game's modding scene might be.

Yeah - two points where the consumer knowing the figures actually helps a vast amount in purchasing decisions. Fair point. :)

Knurek

The only caveat I have to this is that I've extended the hand of friendship to Valve and told them that if there is any feature they want removed from Enhanced Steam then I'll be happy to do so - and so far they've never made any such request.

Oh, don't worry, Garry from the Legal dept. is writing a nice letter requesting removal of most of the good features.
He's just doing it on ValveTime, so expect an email in your inbox any decade now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If I delete a game from my account does it disappear off my games played list? I've "played" 90 hours of "Wild Island Quest" (some bundle turd). I think what happened was an IdleMaster fuckup where it just kept playing the game. I don't plan on ever playing this and it'd be nice to remove it from my list.

Amzin

I can't think of a single instance in our modern western world where more transparency has had a negative outcome on the public. Transparency usually hurts people doing shady or not-friendly things. I'm pro-consumer, pro-greater-good, so transparency = better to me.

I'm just gonna say "maturity of audience". I mean, look at the people saying "Oh, no, NMS concurrent numbers are down! See, the game sucks!" Ignoring the fact that maybe a lot of people have lives, and don't play the same game consistently across days. Look at the posts (and not just today, but consistently every month on Gaf) saying that a game has tanked due to stats from Steamspy, when sales does not equal owners does not equal revenue does not equal profit.

Box Office and book sales numbers are read more intelligently on a more consistent level than video-game sales numbers. It's entirely possible for armchair critics to chart revenue and trends with those numbers (and in fact, Box Office is revenue).

This is a terrible argument, and is very much personal opinion and subjective. People have, in this very thread, used those other mediums numbers in the same way as game sales figures, and this is specifically a Steam thread. Go hang out in box office threads or book debate threads and you'll see exactly the same kind of numbers being thrown around :p Especially when you consider the average age of gamers on Steam has gone up over the years, not down (contrasted with gaming as a whole because mobile).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It's within the publisher's rights to ask, but SteamSpy isn't doing anything illegal and is under no contractual obligation to oblige.

This is the real point. The publishers have contracts with Valve that show the actual sales data and that stuff is protected by whatever terms those contracts have. SteamSpy is using publically available data (in the form of profiles of the owners) to attempt to approximate that information. I can understand publishers wanting to keep that data secret from their competition or from being disclosed outside the terms of their agreement with Vavle. However, that doesn't mean they can demand SteamSpy do anything about it.

If this is a real concern for them, they should talk to Valve and ask them to stop allowing game data on the public profiles, or to change the ways SteamSpy and other things can access that data. Then the ball is in Valve's court to say these things are ok or not. Until we hear otherwise, there is nothing wrong with what SteamSpy is doing and in fact it serves as a great tool for consumers as jshackles said.

The example jshackles used about political polling and parties asking them not to release it is very apt. A losing candidate might not want to release poll numbers that show them falling further behind. A lot of the business of the videogame industry seems needlessly insular and closed to me, when compared to other tech industries. I don't know why that is excatly (just tradition?), and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to keep the status quo.

If I delete a game from my account does it disappear off my games played list? I've "played" 90 hours of "Wild Island Quest" (some bundle turd). I think what happened was an IdleMaster fuckup where it just kept playing the game. I don't plan on ever playing this and it'd be nice to remove it from my list.

I'm pretty sure I just read recently that achievements and play time stay.

90 hours? Truly the wildest island quester of them all.

I can't think of a single instance in our modern western world where more transparency has had a negative outcome on the public. Transparency usually hurts people doing shady or not-friendly things. I'm pro-consumer, pro-greater-good, so transparency = better to me.

The WikiLeak where they "outted" a number of gay Saudis comes to mind as one of those negative outcomes.

But with regard to transparency in business, I agree that as much info as possible is ideal.

Nabs

So...

https://steamdb.info/app/471210/subs/
updated with a picture
header.jpg

https://steamdb.info/sub/124164/

EDIT:
Free Beta ;-)
EiqTaab.png

Pixieking

Banned

This is a terrible argument, and is very much personal opinion and subjective.

It is a personal subjective opinion, yes... I personally find that there's (generally speaking) nothing of value added by the conversations we end up having about ownership numbers (multiplayer numbers and modding communities excepted). Transparency is good, yes, but I think the talk of games tanking or NMS's active playerbase dropping 90% in two weeks does nothing to help the wider discourse. If we could move beyond short-term hot-takes and hyperbole, then the transparency given by the numbers could be really interesting. For instance, charting genre trends, examining multiplayer games cannibalizing other multiplayer game's players, charting if DOTA updates affect single-player puzzle active players, etc...

(No offense meant - I think everyone here is really nice, but gaming news kind of repeats itself a bit, and so do the arguments/threads. :) )

Edit: Effing Stardock man - never put the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion DLC on offer. :(

madjoki

20.15 - M̱̱᷉i̱̱͚̱̚s̱̞̱ṯ̱̓e̱͏̱ṟ̫̱Glitch: #8654 » [Steam Prices] Big Discount: Assault Squad 2: Men of War Origins - 4,99 € at -75% / $4.99 at -75% - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/37132/

Released today for -75% (-81% if you buy via bundle)

Seems like a mistake.

Edit: They fixed it too fast :(

An-Det

Was checking the Stardock weekend sale and Sins of a Solar Empire was listed as incomplete for me. Turns out there was a new dlc called Outlaw Sectors that released in June (first dlc in 3 years).

$5 standalone, but the bundle on sale with all of Sins is $2.74 if you have the rest. Fucking score, I'm always down for more Sins.

derExperte

Men of War: Assault Squad 2

Assault Squad 2: Men of War Origins

Naming games is hard.

I'm pretty sure I just read recently that achievements and play time stay.

The number of achievements in your showcase doesn't go down but I'm rather sure the game won't show up in your profile anymore. I have to go play N++ now but you can test it yourself, just restore the game afterwards. Speaking of, N++ has cards despite not saying so on the store page. And cloud support is coming.

Pixieking

Banned
Was checking the Stardock weekend sale and Sins of a Solar Empire was listed as incomplete for me. Turns out there was a new dlc called Outlaw Sectors that released in June (first dlc in 3 years).

$5 standalone, but the bundle on sale with all of Sins is $2.74 if you have the rest. Fucking score, I'm always down for more Sins.

Cheers for posting this - I don't have all the DLC, but the bundle is pretty damn cheap anyways. Damn tempting.

Wok

Pan-Pan is out for 13€.

I have also discovered a French platformer game which was kickstarted last December and will be released on September 21. There is a demo.

And Virginia the day after. There is already a demo. It seems to have Kentucky vibes.

AsylumX

I have also discovered a French platformer game which was kickstarted last December and will be released on September 21. There is a demo.

Wow, that art looks fantastic and I love metroidvanias. I will give it a try, hope the gameplay is up to par with recent games in the genre...

On a side note, where did you found the demo?

Coketruck

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but I figured it's worth a shot:

I recently got a 21:9 monitor (2560 x 1080), and tried playing some older games (Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection, Risk: Factions, others). Each time I start the game, the game will start playing as normal for about three seconds, then automatically minimize and kick me back to the desktop. The game is still running, but when I un-minimize it, the game will only stay that way for another three or so seconds before minimizing again. I can't get the game to stay open. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Nabs

Direct from WB on Steam:

Hello,

Thanks for your patience as we’ve been quiet for a while. We’ve been working behind the scenes updating MKX on PC and wanted to make sure when we had something to share with you, it was good news.

Beginning today and for the next 4 days only, anyone can play the MKXL Enhanced Online PC Beta for free and experience the enhanced rollback system and other updates made for our PC players.

Download now to play the Beta before it ends August 29th at 10am PDT.

Stay tuned for an invitation next week to participate in our Beta survey. The team will be paying close attention to your feedback, so please be as candid and as detailed as you can be!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307780/

Saty

One of gaming's most important studios celebrates 20 years and not a single journalistic piece covering its history, present and future. Pathetic display of video game journalism.

dex3108

One of gaming's most important studios celebrates 20 years and not a single journalistic piece covering its history, present and future. Pathetic display of video game journalism.

To be honest even Valve didn't acknowledge it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JarrodL

I'm just gonna say "maturity of audience". I mean, look at the people saying "Oh, no, NMS concurrent numbers are down! See, the game sucks!" Ignoring the fact that maybe a lot of people have lives, and don't play the same game consistently across days. Look at the posts (and not just today, but consistently every month on Gaf) saying that a game has tanked due to stats from Steamspy, when sales does not equal owners does not equal revenue does not equal profit.

Box Office and book sales numbers are read more intelligently on a more consistent level than video-game sales numbers. It's entirely possible for armchair critics to chart revenue and trends with those numbers (and in fact, Box Office is revenue).
Oh, come on. The data should be withheld just because some individuals on a web forum board are immature and jumping to the wrong conclusions after misinterpreting said data? Spoiler alert: the internet (and the real world beyond it, I guess) is full of immature people who tend to overreact. Over pretty much anything. It's not like there ain't some movie discussions boards out there where they are jumping to conclusions over the "more consistent" movie box office results ("I hear Suicide Squad did good, that must mean they're totally happy with the results and their next movie will totally suck too. We're doomed! DC Universe is dead!"). Now, should we hide all publicly available interesting information (that we might not otherwise need beyond it being interesting) just because someone out there might hurt someone's feelings after misreading it? Please.

Additionally, there is nothing to stop publishers and developers releasing sales figures publicly. There's often post-mortems on Gamasutra written by the dev/pub that go into detail about Steam sales numbers and the effect of sales. Steamspy shuttering (or going private) merely allows developers and publishers to hold sales data privately or release it of their own volition.
There's nothing to encourage them, either. There's no existing system or expectations for submitting/releasing your data in gaming like there's in movie industry. And such a system won't materialize on its own without some sort of external push - which is why SteamSpy in its current form is so important to have. If anything, I can see current SteamSpy encouraging publishers to release their own accurate numbers, since a rough estimate is out there already anyway.

Finally, ask yourself this - if there is such a great benefit to publicly available Steam sales data, why do Valve very specifically not release it themselves?
I think perhaps they'd want to, but that would require a lot of work (legal/contractual issues, implementing the webpage changes to display said data, etc.) and a lot of time (Valve time is slow-mo unless it's something really urgent). And why would they want to bother with lots of work and potential issues with publishers (what if some publisher wants their sales data hidden badly enough to pull their catalogue from Steam? oops!) when SteamSpy already exists? So Valve have adopted the "don't poke the bee hive and pretend not to notice the bear" beekeeping attitude so far.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Today is also the 25th anniversary of Reptar the dinosaur from Rugrats and there is nothing about it anywhere. Disgraceful

Saty

To be honest even Valve didn't acknowledge it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They always don't do that stuff. Doesn't entail anything about what Game Journalism should cover. Every single franchise that's old enough to celebrate 15 or 20 or 25 years is talked about and covered and treated as a milestone and a landmark but one of the companies that changed the landscape of many things turns 20 and mum's the word.

This would have been a great time to ask for interviews. To cover the history of the company and its accomplishments. To revisit moments. To question the trajectory it has been making and so on.

kevin1025

Banned
Virginia, The Turing Test, Cosmic Star Heroine, Obduction, Original Sin II... and Owlboy might even be soon?! End of this month and September is insanity, looking at non-major retail games only!

Pixieking

Banned
There's nothing to encourage them, either. There's no existing system or expectations for submitting/releasing your data in gaming like there's in movie industry. And such a system won't materialize on its own without some sort of external push - which is why SteamSpy in its current form is so important to have. If anything, I can see current SteamSpy encouraging publishers to release their own accurate numbers, since a rough estimate is out there already anyway.

*shrugs* There's not a lot more I can see about my opinion on Steamspy, and I don't think anyone here's going to change their opinions on it (me, or you, or whoever). :)

People use Steamspy as a surrogate for official figures, and the desire for better official figures is echoed by bodies like the ESA. But until publishers are outright forced to reveal data, I don't think they'll care that much.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
honestly more interested in them making MoO2 available for independent sale tbqh

edit: oh they have done that. good good. $5.99 for MoO1+2, $9.99 for MoO3.

Eh, I already own the three previous MoO games. MoO3 is the reason why I never pre-order or buy games on day one without thorough and convincing research first. I’m still scarred from the terror of my MoO3 experience.

But woah, the user reviews on the new MoO (4) are not good, not good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom