• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I think Deus Ex is beautiful.
dxmd_2016_08_24_17_34fkug1.jpg

dxmd_2016_08_23_22_34a0un3.jpg

(Those are locked 60 FPS settings)

Hi everyone :)

I just thought I'd let you all know that Mugen Souls Z is out now on Steam priced at $19.99 with a 20% launch discount for the first week on sale.

You can pick the game up here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/466920

And if you're wondering why you'd want to we've gone into that a bit here:

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/mugen-souls-z-is-coming-to-steam-this-week

Hope you all enjoy Mugen Souls Z :)

Soon we have every IF game on Steam!

The time of our waifu overlords will come.

Uzzy

I think Deus Ex is beautiful.

Sure is. The aesthetic and world building is really something good, I love it. Though, I would say that.

I also marked out a little when one of the achievements was a Ghost in the Shell reference. Though, again, that's to be expected.

rtcn63

RTSS seems to work with MD, so that's good. I can lock it to 30, where as NV's control panel had it like 30-40 on adaptive/half-refresh rate.

rock3tz

Neo Member
Sure but the first one also had sales and has been out for over one year.
I think most people buy VNs during sales nowadays, especially the full priced ones.

About 4000 units are quite normal for VNs. And the translation of the whole trilogy was kickstarted.

According to most VN publishers 3000-5000 units are the normal sales they usually see.

I also dont know SP sells an adult version on their own store.

Actually, if you remove the Steam keys promised in the Kickstarter (about 1500), the game must have sold bellow 2000 units.
That's very low for a sequel, and will only get worse with the final game.
I can see that game not even reaching 1000 units when it releases.

Those are terrible numbers even by VN standards.

Actually, if you remove the Steam keys promised in the Kickstarter (about 1500), the game must have sold bellow 2000 units.
That's very low for a sequel, and will only get worse with the final game.
I can see that game not even reaching 1000 units when it releases.

Those are terrible numbers even by VN standards.

The KS backers also paid for the game (and also for the translation), so why would you subtract them?

And like I said. The game has been out for 2 months now while the first one has been out for over one year with sales and whatnot.

Tizoc

Hi everyone :)

I just thought I'd let you all know that Mugen Souls Z is out now on Steam priced at $19.99 with a 20% launch discount for the first week on sale.

You can pick the game up here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/466920

And if you're wondering why you'd want to we've gone into that a bit here:

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/mugen-souls-z-is-coming-to-steam-this-week

Hope you all enjoy Mugen Souls Z :)
Iiiiiiiiii think i might wait for the bundle that has the dlcs thatd be popping up by winter seals :x
Until then ill read up more on reviews and may be swayed to pick his up down the line

JarrodL

But, again, we don't need it. Armchair Steam experts and Monday-morning Quarterbacking about releases would just be shut-down by switching to dev only data.

I'm damn curious about sales figures myself, but they don't help any of us really.

We don't really need box office result numbers for movies, either. Or book sale rankings. Or youtube video number of views and upvote/downvote statistics. But those are all available publicly. What makes video game sale numbers so drastically different, pray tell?

As for myself, I did on several occasions buy a game I was interested in sooner rather than later solely because it looked like it wasn't doing so hot on its first weeks on sale according to Steamspy, just to support a genre I love or encourage future similar localizations/ports.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is the Witcher GOTY adding anything? Or should I just get the game and the season pass in the sales?

Pixieking

Banned
We don't really need box office result numbers for movies, either. Or book sale rankings. Or youtube video number of views and upvote/downvote statistics. But those are all available publicly. What makes video game sale numbers so drastically different, pray tell?

I'm just gonna say "maturity of audience". I mean, look at the people saying "Oh, no, NMS concurrent numbers are down! See, the game sucks!" Ignoring the fact that maybe a lot of people have lives, and don't play the same game consistently across days. Look at the posts (and not just today, but consistently every month on Gaf) saying that a game has tanked due to stats from Steamspy, when sales does not equal owners does not equal revenue does not equal profit.

Box Office and book sales numbers are read more intelligently on a more consistent level than video-game sales numbers. It's entirely possible for armchair critics to chart revenue and trends with those numbers (and in fact, Box Office is revenue).

Additionally, there is nothing to stop publishers and developers releasing sales figures publicly. There's often post-mortems on Gamasutra written by the dev/pub that go into detail about Steam sales numbers and the effect of sales. Steamspy shuttering (or going private) merely allows developers and publishers to hold sales data privately or release it of their own volition.

Finally, ask yourself this - if there is such a great benefit to publicly available Steam sales data, why do Valve very specifically not release it themselves?

Durante

At least post some nice shots :p Some of Dennis' captures for comparison.
Hey, that was HR a shot I took myself back in 2011 -- those are the highest settings and good IQ.

The ones you posted look nice at a glance, but they don't show any characters close up, have flat materials, basic lighting, low geometric detail, and mostly basic prebaked shadows.

There's a generational difference between that and MD (as there should be).

Pixieking

Banned
Because they can't? That would require the permission of every publisher on Steam.

Heh, yeah... Like Steamspy, in a way, right? Except, he just posts the data, and publishers have to request he not. And when they do that, hoooo boy! Armchair critics wibble about why.

Anyways, it's just numbers. Not even monies, just numbers... Just seems bizarre people are so... Are wanting them so much. *shrugs* :)

Corpekata

Banned
Heh, yeah... Like Steamspy, in a way, right? Except, he just posts the data, and publishers have to request he not. And when they do that, hoooo boy! Armchair critics wibble about why.

Anyways, it's just numbers. Not even monies, just numbers. :)

It's not like Steamspy. Valve is their business partner and would be violating several contractual and legal obligations. Steamspy has no such obligations.

I mean there's so many things erroneous with this point I'm baffled you made it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oooh a dragon fin soup bundle, cool. and last hope looks like a good TD game too. good indiegala bundle

Pixieking

Banned
No. Not at all.

Steamspy uses data (user profiles) that every publisher on Steam likely agreed to being shared in their contract with Valve.

True, but they are entirely within their rights to request Steamspy doesn't show it, right? If not, then, yes, my posts are entirely incorrect. :)

It's not like Steamspy. Valve is their business partner and would be violating several contractual and legal obligations. Steamspy has no such obligations.

I mean there's so many things erroneous with this point I'm baffled you made it.

I'm pointing out (in a snarky manner, apologies), that the sales data is technically the publishers. Yes, Steamspy uses publicly available data on profiles, but each-and-every time a publisher requests that their data not be shwon on Steamspy, there's posts querying why, when it is surely the publisher's right to request that not be shown.

Edit kind-of: I keep on putting "sales data" which is so very incorrect, but I can't be arsed correcting it through multiple posts. :)

Second-Edit: Ownership data not sales data. That's interesting, isn't it? Valve may breach-contract by releasing sales figures, but releasing ownership figures, like Steamspy does? Hmmm... *shrugs* Anyways. Blah... Agree to disagree on this. :)

True, but they are entirely within their rights to request Steamspy doesn't show it, right? If not, then, yes, my posts are entirely incorrect. :)

I'm pointing out (in a snarky manner, apologies), that the sales data is technically the publishers. Yes, Steamspy uses publicly available data on profiles, but each-and-every time a publisher requests that their data not be shwon on Steamspy, there's posts querying why, when it is surely the publisher's right to request that not be shown.

Edit kind-of: I keep on putting "sales data" which is so very incorrect, but I can't be arsed correcting it through multiple posts. :)

While I agree that developers and publishers certainly have the right to request that, I also think SteamSpy has the right to decline those requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom