• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ski-world Simulator -- MB-04871F47488DD4C6 - Taken by texhnolyze
Story of the Survivor -- MB-B30EC4B1023E1DCE - Taken by Loptous
Paper Dungeons -- MB-E38F01809A686416 - Taken by Goldensun_it
On a Roll 3D -- MB-B5A6A11B7D88E827 - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Snowcat Simulator -- MB-48AFC02EAE6875FB - Taken by NingenJanai
Eight Mini Racers -- MB-043F5D6B2657DB22 - Taken by bobnowhere
Magdalena -- MB-1BF1B68C09A48D14 - Taken by Ludens

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I thought Zestiria used Denuvo as well? And that even had a 60 fps mod.
Or am I completely misremembering something?

Not a fan of Denuvo myself, but the port is sounding quite good. (Seems to be a QLOC port).

Googling says yes to both counts.

Did the last windows 10 update kill New Vegas? Can't even start a new game without it crashing.

I was going to say "Works fine here," but then I remembered the Anniversary update hasn't popped for me yet. Because I'm on the "Pro" version of Windows 10? I'm not sure.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
This one looks fun..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/503180

ZTkYnl8.jpg

robocop + judge dredd

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-553BFD457C236390 - Taken by venomenon

you don't need to do training mode to git gud at fighters

you just need to keep getting bodied by way better players to improve

Yeah, if you want to improve in 18 years. Training mode is by far the best way to learn how to play FGs.

It's also very disingenuous to say that just losing to better players will improve your game. You have to actively learn why you lost.

gelf

decided to try MKXL

got juggled, quit, uninstalled

fuck i'm bad at fighters

I just used it as a demo to test how my aging PC handles it. It passed that test at least while I was been juggled all over the place with little resisitance. Have uninstalled now and will wait for the full release where I can actually work out what the fuck I'm doing in training mode and single player.

If it where Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter I could jump in without any practice and at least feel I half know what I'm doing(while still likely being destroyed) as I've played them a lot. MK on the other hand feels more alien to me, I'm not even sure how I want the buttons assigned yet.

In the other hand, Tales of Berseria sounds amazing.
Okay, first to clarify my previous post. I didn't hate the ending. It wasn't the strongest point in the story, but was completely serviceable and didn't leave me disappointed.

With that out of the way, here are my spoiler free impressions after clearing the whole game.

I'll just mention it again - clearing ToB took me 48 hours on Normal. Tried doing all the side stuff I could find aside from the last batch before the final dungeon. There's also post game content including an extra dungeon, but I haven't touched that part myself.

Graphics

It's definitely the best looking 3D Tales game. Sadly, that doesn't really mean much. Models look alright, but in the end it still looks and feels like a PS3 game bumped to higher resolution and 60 FPS. Fields and dungeons are a mixed bag, some look good, some (especially early ones) are just boring. Also, the draw in distance is terrible and nothing really excuses this in the PS4 version.

Sound

I liked one of the themes (main/Velvet's theme?) which kicked in during some cutscenes and made them more exciting. Also,
Zavida's
theme was great, but I think it hasn't changed. That said, I'm a person who rarely focuses on BGMs while playing, so don't take the above as a jab at the music.

Combat

Combat doesn't really change through the game. You get access to some new toys like Mystic Artes, but aside from that you can still pretty much mash through every battle on normal with X and R2, if you're not hugely underleveled. Problem start if you don't get enough souls during your mashing to activate the Break, since it's Velvet's main way of regenerating HP. When that happens, you have to charge block and attack, use Mystic Artes (they add souls) or switch characters back and forth.
I enjoyed the combat system for what it was - flashy, fast, and relaxing, but I think people who want more to put more thought into each battle, turning the difficulty up might be necessary (although Bebpo mentioned that not much changes).

Story

This is where the game shines. No forced romance between party members. Playing as the "bad guys" which will use all means necessary to get what they want. A lot of very dark and sometimes even depressing elements, while never going too far. The story really felt like a breath of fresh air compared to most other jRPGs. While the start is slow and might feel like "forced edginess", it definitely gets better later.
Is it perfect? Of course not, there are still ups and downs, boring moment etc., but in general I think I enjoyed this story the most of all Tales games I've played. This includes Vesperia, but to be honest I cleared that one so long ago that I don't remember much.

I also like connections to Zestiria, like explaining some things in the world. I would definitely suggest finishing or at least playing a bigger chunk of ToZ before Zestiria, if only to catch those parts.

Characters

At first they feel like a boring bunch, with less jokes in skits than in previous games. That said, as time goes on they open up and the player can see that they have their own quirks, things they're passionate about (not related to the story) and are all in all quite funny.
The cast really grew on me, even annoying at first Magilou.

Dungeons, Towns, Fields

Dungeons and fields for most of the time were boring. While I liked that they got rid of huge open spaces from ToZ, they still felt like corridors randomly sprinkled with enemies. Some looked nice, that's true, but in the end running through them felt like a chore. Especially when I had to do it multiple times for side quests.

Towns were alright and I liked how the atmosphere changed as the story progressed (mostly NPC dialogue and some effects, buildings etc. stayed the same), but again - running through them multiple times got boring at one point.

Final verdict - a really good JRPG, one of the best (if not the best, probably will be a personal preference) 3D Tales games, which loses some points because of being a cross platform game.
Can't wait!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Wildstar DLC -- MB-7F95C8CB32FC7108

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Forge of Gods: Team of Justice Pack -- MB-F06EEC9C99096A3E - Taken by spacellama

Mivey

I feel like KT only makes PC ports to make PC gamers feel terrible. Like, they are spending so little that they can just keep making them and all they really want is for a few people to miss the refund period and feel miserable.

Ludens

Banned
Do you remember FFXIII and the fact you can only grab one mission at time from a crystal? Apparently in FFXV is the same, you can grab only one side at time from vendors. This is how SE is planning to increase the game's lenght apparently.

me0wish

Don't own either of them, sorry.

But I tested FF13-2 which was broken before the Anniversary update, seems to work now. And Dragon's Dogma, which was broken after the Anniversary update. Seems to work now as well.

Seems like shit works now.

That's great, I really love the xbone controller and I look forward to the fixes, thanks.

Grief.exe

Momentary

Banned
What about resolution?

I wonder if this reviewer's controller problems are DS4 related. Since that controller was broken with the Win10 update.

If it's the typical Koei Tecmo controller issue bullshit, then you either have to roll back your XBOX 1 controller driver to the previous windows 8 version ( which MS has taken down from their site) or you have to use an older XBOX 360 controller.

venomenon

Cleaning out the spare keys collection some more...
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Hexcells Complete Pack -- MB-B2AE9DDC21919F6F - Taken by Sarcasm
Kentucky Route Zero -- MB-D170620581F6253D - Taken by sixteen-bit
Unhack -- MB-97CE32D5314E433E - Taken by Roboleon
8BitBoy -- MB-FDCE7045E621B974 - Taken by Jawmuncher
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-0501376A25B1B329 - Taken by PaulSane

Momentary

Banned
Attack on Titan sitting at 60 percent right now. Seems like the Koei Tecmo defense force is being kind of slow at trying to inflate the score. Seems a good bit are already thumbing down actual informative reviews. I'm sure they get the game into the 70s in no time by the end of today.

I imagine rabid Koei Tecmo fans as having nothing else to look forward to in life other than defending these games once they release on STEAM.

venomenon

It's kind of amazing that Kentucky Route Zero is considered bundle trash now.
(Well before the game is complete, I mean)
It has only been in a Humble Bundle once, I wouldn't call it bundle trash yet.

But you have to admit it'd be understandable if people lost trust in it and treated it like another low profile indie game, considering the time between episodes. I think I bought it when Ep 2 was just released and it feels like it's been ages ago... because it was.

Why can't Koei Tecmo get a porting studio (Abstraction Games to name an example) to help put their games on a PC platform instead of doing a half ass job themselves? The amount of positive word of mouth can help drive sales more than doing a half ass job just so you can have the game on a platform.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of amazing that Kentucky Route Zero is considered bundle trash now.
(Well before the game is complete, I mean)
It's been so long that I don't care about it anymore. I wanted to get it once all episodes were released, but now I don't know if I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom