• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Seems that Anniversary update finally fixed xbox controller support in Unity games (and maybe some other apps), so check them out.
At least FFIX working fine now.

FF14 is Unity? I tried Blues and Bullets, bad news is that it only recognizes the pad when turning it on while already in the game. Good news is that it seems to then work without the old issues. What were some of the other recent Unity games with problems? Don't have Setsuna. edit: Same for Absolute Drift, works but gotta disconnect first. Fine by me though I still have trust issues, something might still not work 100%.

It's hard to avoid "non-standard" things when Microsoft arbitrarily decides that something new is now "non-standard" with an update.

Sounds great.

Can't be mad if it forces them to update their cobbled together Chrome engine. I know MS' history but the Steam client isn't something I'd go to bat for.

Tizoc

Press F to pay respect

Right here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi. It's been a while.

To the handful that actually removed me from their friendslist on Steam the second I was banned; shame on you. You know who you are. And you hurt my feelings.

I am too lazy to remove anyone from my friend list :X

Parsnip

FF14 is Unity? I tried Blues and Bullets, bad news is that it only recognizes the pad when turning it on while already in the game. Good news is that it seems to then work without the old issues. What were some of the other recent Unity games with problems? Don't have Setsuna.

That's FF9 you dummy.
Of the top of my head I can only think Gone Home and Firewatch as Unity games with issues.

Press F to pay respect

Right here. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hi. It's been a while.

To the handful that actually removed me from their friendslist on Steam the second I was banned; shame on you. You know who you are. And you hurt my feelings.
Name and shame.

Nzyme32

My 1070 is MSI Gaming X, and it's great.
My 970 was MSI Gaming. It was great too.

Thanks, will be getting the MSI card for sure. Likely only going to have the 1060 for till March / April, when I will step up to an MSI 1070 and grab the 21:9 monitor!

Kiru

Anyone have a trust preference on MSI or Gigabyte graphics cards?
Between those 2, definitely MSI. If GTX 1070 or 1080 and european resident I would choose Palit/Gainward tho, most silent card, but also 3 slot design.

derExperte

Solutions for weird fonts, turn off DirectWrite or download Steam beta.

Thanks, will be getting the MSI card for sure. Likely only going to have the 1060 for till March / April, when I will step up to an MSI 1070 and grab the 21:9 monitor!

I'd read some reviews and take the slightly better one, it really doesn't matter. Like I had to give back my MSI 970 after a day because the fans weren't doing what they were supposed to. Happens.

It doesn't work for me.

Restarted Steam?

Wok

I have watched a bit of This is the Police and the game looks really well-made, with the voice-over, the comic visuals, etc. I am a bit sad to notice the harsh professional reviews. From the few reviews that I have scanned through, professional people seem to resent the dev from talking about the police in a too good way. Somehow, the time-frame for launching the game is not the best with all the bad news which have been going on in the US for the past months.

t8FLd1W.png

Ascheroth

Restarted my laptop
Deadly premonition works fine now
What is this tomfoolery?

There should be en exe patch somewhere that allows the game to use 4 GB of RAM. Should reduce some of the weird shenanigans of the port. At least in my case it allowed me to play more then 15 minutes without a crash.

Great game.

KainXVIII

FF14 is Unity? I tried Blues and Bullets, bad news is that it only recognizes the pad when turning it on while already in the game. Good news is that it seems to then work without the old issues. What were some of the other recent Unity games with problems?

Yeah, improve your roman numerals skill =)
Flame Out is also Unity, need to check it.

FF14 is Unity? I tried Blues and Bullets, bad news is that it only recognizes the pad when turning it on while already in the game. Good news is that it seems to then work without the old issues. What were some of the other recent Unity games with problems? Don't have Setsuna. edit: Same for Absolute Drift, worsk but gotta disconnect first. Fine by me though I still have trust issues, something might still not work 100%.

Can't be mad if it forces them to update their cobbled together Chrome engine. I know MS' history but the Steam client isn't something I'd go to bat for.
Absolute Drift has a top level soundtrack. I wish it was in the game files, at least I don't think it was. I stream it from the artist's Soundcloud. Excellent downtempo, trance, and bass music.

Upgraded Windows 10, and it removes my SSH client without asking .. WTF, Microsoft, it's not like I needed that for my job.

Also, Classic Shell has broken, but that's pretty minor and not really surprising.

On the other hand, Steam works fine, so at least I'll have something to do.

Steam won't load any community or profile pages here. The blue "working" ring on the pointer doesn't even circle all the way around. It just ticks at the top of the loop over and over.

In the client.

I'm not sure what version I was using before, but it wouldn't let me install 4.3. It would just create a window, and then immediately close it again.

Unfortunately, attempting to reboot to fix that revealed that the upgrade has rendered Windows inoperable. Upon booting, I just get some flashes, a ♠ symbol at the bottom of the a black screen, and an underscore suggesting a console prompt. But it doesn't take any input.

On the bright side, at least it didn't fuck up my Linux install, so I still have access to a working OS. And in the worst case I can just re-image using the disk image I created after I first installed Windows 10 ..

rtcn63

TEW - I don't think Joseph wears prescription glasses.

Chapter 14, maxed out shotgun damage by
farming Keepers for gel. A pittance, but I had a surplus of magnum bullets.
Got in a few health upgrades too. Although really, I feel like a one-man army. Handgun bullet to the knee, light a match. And I've stopped disarming those ticking traps, I've enough mats to last me until the end and then some.

What in the fuck? Turns out the Windows Anniversary Update just erased the fucking partition table on the harddisk. No wonder it wouldn't boot again ..

rtcn63

Ucchedavāda;212296878 said:
What in the fuck? Turns out the Windows Anniversary Update just erased the fucking partition table on the harddisk. No wonder it wouldn't boot again ..

MS going full heel

giphy.gif

Nillansan

Restarted my laptop
Deadly premonition works fine now
What is this tomfoolery?

Probably a memory leak. Be sure to save often and restart your laptop when game starts to act weird as in when you experience frequent stuttering and frame-drops.

Ludens

Banned
Recap of what this update did:

-killed my wifi dongle, I needed to fix the installation because Win installs some crappy drivers so I navigate with 20 kbps.
-installed back all those crappy apps, killed with the batch file and by uninstalling them using Powershell
-awful big boxes instead of smaller one
-my pc won't turn off, of course it's because Fast Boot enabled itself back again. Turned it off, and my pc turn off again too. I don't know why this happens, but it's a thing since the very first build of Win 10 (and no, a clean install didn't fix it).
-be sure to check your privacy settings, because there are new surprises here to turn off.
- Steam messed up fonts
-print screen stopped working, but alt+print screen works

Ucchedavāda;212296878 said:

I don't know if what happened to you is related to my experience with the update:
I downloaded the update, then I closed everything and clicked on reboot now. I waited for the update to be done, then after I do login it shows the screen "We are getting everything ready" and went to dinner, when I got back my laptop was showing the BIOS screen.

It was weird but some weeks ago, when my laptop crashed and shut down out of the blue, it did show my BIOS screen after reboot, I only had to exit without doing any change and everything went back to normal. (That was the only time it has happened since November - when I got my laptop)

So I exit BIOS, my laptop reboots.... and BIOS again. This time I change the boot sequence, but it didn't work. So I look up my Storage Information in my BIOS fearing the worse, and yep. For some reason my laptop no longer detected my m.2 SSDs (which are on RAID).

I used my USB with the recovery tool for Windows 10 to have access to cmd, then conected my usb which has the drivers for the SSDs and tried to install them from cmd - if that is even possible lol - but it didn't work. So I went with the installation wizard of windows 10, and used the option to install drivers that you get on the screen to select the installation driver of windows, and once my drivers were installed and the ssd showed up in the driver selection I closed the installation wizard, removed my USB and rebooted.

And magic, I'm back, but with Windows 10 Redstone installed.

Thanfully it was avoided. Just one question, did the text selection color change in W10 Redstone?
6xUDQgu.png

I don't recall it being that dark...

Ucchedavāda;212292348 said:
Upgraded Windows 10, and it removes my SSH client without asking .. WTF, Microsoft, it's not like I needed that for my job.

Also, Classic Shell has broken, but that's pretty minor and not really surprising.

On the other hand, Steam works fine, so at least I'll have something to do.

Also upgraded my Windows 10, it took like half an hour on a SSD...

Steam works, but when I want to boot Beyond Earth, I can't get past the selection screen (Beyond Earth or Beyond Earth with AMD Mantle)... Very fun indeed.
And it also has reset some my Windows, browser and Nvidia settings and reinstalled all the crapware I removed like Onedrive.

(And the Windows Store still looks like a crappy mobile store.)

Nzyme32

I will say that either ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte are solid choices.

Between those 2, definitely MSI. If GTX 1070 or 1080 and european resident I would choose Palit/Gainward tho, most silent card, but also 3 slot design.

Nice. Thanks.

I'd read some reviews and take the slightly better one, it really doesn't matter. Like I had to give back my MSI 970 after a day because the fans weren't doing what they were supposed to. Happens.

Yeah I'm probably being over cautious. Still for such a small price, I figure I might as well switch to something I have more confidence in, both from reviews and the company itself

Nzyme32

I don't know if what happened to you is related to my experience with the update:

OH! It wasn't just me!!

Yeah exactly the same here. I was wondering if I just knocked my monitor to a weird angle or something. On the bios stuff, my computer was actually in the middle of the bios update when Windows update decided to intervene. I'm not sure what was part of what

Aaron D.

PC Gamer - Dying Light devs announce Pure Farming 17: The Simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5I97VvG3-g

What a strange world.

Looks like the full reveal will be at Gamescom in a couple weeks.

Color me intrigued. It will be AWESOME to have some real competition in the farm sim sub-genre.

Right now it's Giants (Farming Simulator) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> low-rent, cash-grab trash developers...makers of the Professional Farmer and Agricultural Simulator franchises.

I'm genuinely stoked.

Ascheroth

They really don't want people to put off updating apparently. Now you can no longer schedule restarts for updates but instead have to specify the PCs 'operating time', and it can't be more then 12 hours. Seems like a reaaaally dumb way of doing things.
Does that mean it just force restarts whenever a new update hits outside of those specified hours regardless if you're doing something at that time? Wouldn't put it past them.

Sasuga Microsoft.

Maniac

Banned

What a strange world.

Color me intrigued. It will be AWESOME to have some real competition in the farm sim sub-genre.

Right now it's Giants (Farming Simulator) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> low-rent, cash-grab trash developers...makers of the Professional Farmer and Agricultural Simulator franchises.

I'm genuinely stoked.

They're just publishing it iirc. Funky match nonetheless.

rtcn63

All the AIB 10** cards seems to OC the same more or less, barring silicon lottery. (There's been some speculation that the FE cards are binned) I'd probably get the MSI Gaming, I'm hearing that the Gigabyte cards aren't as quiet as they should be. (Got an old Windforce in the tower)

Salsa

What a strange world.

I'm genuinely stoked.

I woke up to make a thread about that and how I think they're pullin a fast one and its Dying Light 2 or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom