• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote that butt
I still haven't played the first one. I dropped it pretty quick when I realized there were no way points to tell me where to go. Even Pillars had way points.

DOS is about free-form adventure and everything in the game is designed around that. Truly, t's one of the only RPGs aiming for true sandbox freedom in player actions; like, instead of the Bethesda mantra of "nothing matters," Larian has taken it in the exact opposite direction: everything matters... even the quest log.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think DOS 2 will be changing this. If anything, it's trying even harder to open things up (namely, through the origin stories that will shape the campaign).

I'm really hoping DOS2 is something even more special than DOS1.

Jawmuncher

quote that butt

DOS is about free-form adventure and everything in the game is designed around that. Truly, t's one of the only RPGs aiming for true sandbox freedom in player actions; like, instead of the Bethesda mantra of "nothing matters," Larian has taken it in the exact opposite direction: everything matters... even the quest log.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think DOS 2 will be changing this. If anything, it's trying even harder to open things up (namely, through the origin stories that will shape the campaign).

I'm really hoping DOS2 is something even more special than DOS1.

Like I get its part of the games style, but when I have to use a guide to figure out where to go it takes me out of it. If there's one thing I can't stand in games it's being lost. Especially in really big games.

Not saying the game is bad or anything though, just that it's not for me atm. I'm going to need to be in quite the right mindset to tackle it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
all those Disney Princess games! and a lot of movie tie-in games

unless you meant specifically published by Sega? I think they only published Castle of Illusion

I don't think Disney is going to take down their internally developed stuff en masse. Although some of the service-oriented stuff might shut down when they don't want to run the servers. I'm more interested in stuff handled by external publishers.

So here's a list of every game that's Disney related that doesn't list Disney or Lucasarts as a publisher:
Castle of Illusion (Sega): 2013, Being removed September 1st/2nd
Deadpool (Activision): 2013, removed in 2014, re-added in 2015
DuckTales Remastered (Capcom): 2013
Grim Fandango Remastered (DoubleFine): 2015, company has license to remake another game in 2017
Kick-Ass 2 ("United Independent Entertainment GmbH"): 2014
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros): 2013
LEGO Marvel's Avengers (Warner Bros): 2016
LEGO Star Wars Force Awakens (Warner Bros: other LEGO games all list Disney as publisher): 2016
Marvel Heroes 2015 (Gazillion): Game pulled, but DLC available
Marvel Heroes 2016 (Gazillion): 2014 -- possibly just updated the same app with a new year?
Marvel Puzzle Quest (D3): 2013, but last update 2016. F2P, cheapest DLC $10.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Activision): 2006, remastered 2016
Marvel Ultimate Alliance II (Activision): 2006, remastered 2016
Pinball FX2 Marvel DLC (Microsoft): 2013-2015
Pinball FX2 Star Wars DLC (Microsoft): 2013-2015
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision): 2015
The Amazing Spider-Man (Activision): 2012
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Activision): 2014

Unai

Like I get its part of the games style, but when I have to use a guide to figure out where to go it takes me out of it. If there's one thing I can't stand in games it's being lost. Especially in really big games.

Not saying the game is bad or anything though, just that it's not for me atm. I'm going to need to be in quite the right mindset to tackle it.

You don't have to use a guide, though. That would be a huge disservice for the quest design in this game. The journal is there to tell you what to do.

rtcn63

Seagate 4TB external started showing bad blocks (meaning imminent failure) in 1.75 years. I had a 3TB that recently died around that length too.

I need to stop buying Seagates.

Grief.exe

My God Eater machine will be ready by tomorrow.

So close.

20160829_144841_zpsyyey2f9o.jpg

Beautiful.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seagate 4TB external started showing bad blocks (meaning imminent failure) in 1.75 years. I had a 3TB that recently died around that length too.

I need to stop buying Seagates.

The Seagate 3TB has a known failure problem (I've lost one too--and reports from Backblaze make it clear it's by leaps and bounds got the worst failure rate of anything). Seagate 4TB doesn't have such problems, but always shitty to get another dead drive.

rtcn63

The Seagate 3TB has a known failure problem (I've lost one too--and reports from Backblaze make it clear it's by leaps and bounds got the worst failure rate of anything). Seagate 4TB doesn't have such problems, but always shitty to get another dead drive.

Yeah I've read that the 3TB's were a bad model (I've had at least three fail), but I was unhappy to have the 4TB fail at around the same length of time. (This may be my second 4TB to fail actually) That... worries me. I've got a 5TB and an 8TB in use, and I'm hoping they last 3+. If not, I dunno. Plugged them all into my UPS, don't know what else to do. Every external enclosure I've looked at has reports of drive-killing, so even if I splurged for WD blacks...

My tower only has room for 1-2 more drives.

The new Deskstars are actually not at all star wars-ey. Only problem is they're NAS drives, and from what I've read, NAS drives don't necessarily make optimal desktop drives.
Why? NAS drives are made with long operating hours in mind, what's wrong with that?

rtcn63

Why? NAS drives are made with long operating hours in mind, what's wrong with that?

Something about how the desktop drives try harder to recover data. Where as NAS drives are meant to check for a few seconds then move on.

Also I won't be running them 24/7. I put my computer to sleep at night, so the spinning up and down might be a problem.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I still haven't played the first one. I dropped it pretty quick when I realized there were no way points to tell me where to go. Even Pillars had way points.

Went back to Pillars after not playing a couple weeks, and that journal is soooo good. Really helps me to know what I was doing.

FF14 is super good. I only had a bit of free time to game today and decided to use it to do the daily dungeon... I'm going to become a addict. I might actually... buy a sub... also might transfer to the gaf world as well.

i stopped playing it cause it was super fucking hard. there were monsters all around the first city that would just wreck me instantly, they were like 4 lvls higher than me i believe, i remember them being zombies. Also like you, i had no clue where was the "right" way to go cause it damn as hell better not have been through the group of over leveled zombies.

on another note, Im pissed that indie gala robbed my money. Going to give em a day, after that I'ma see if paypal can give me my money back, it was my first purchase from them and even if they resolve this, its most definitely my last.

Corpekata

Banned
You should not ever be fighting anything more than 1 level higher than you in Divinity. Each gate outside of town had different leveled enemies, so yes, you weren't supposed to fight enemies 4 levels higher than you. IIRC the west had two exits for lower levels, north mid, and east for high.

The "right" way is essentially just toward the enemies your level. Sort of like how in Dark Souls people figure out not to go to the graveyard / catacombs / New Londo at the start by encountering enemies that clearly outclass them, though you can chance them somewhat for some early rewards.

You should not ever be fighting anything more than 1 level higher than you in Divinity. Each gate outside of town had different leveled enemies, so yes, you weren't supposed to fight enemies 4 levels higher than you. IIRC the west had two exits for lower levels, north mid, and east for high.

The "right" way is essentially just toward the enemies your level. Sort of like how in Dark Souls people figure out not to go to the graveyard / catacombs / New Londo at the start by encountering enemies that clearly outclass them, though you can chance them somewhat for some early rewards.

Also: you're there to investigate a murder. Steal everything not nailed down Sherlock it up in town!

After watching that video, Watch Dogs 2 looks pretty fun. I like the style if it's intending to be a lighthearted version of hackers and LOLZ type stuff. If the story is dark and serious I think it's going to be a huge misfire at odds with how they're presenting the world.

The performance looks very honest with easily attainable graphics levels. The textures loading in on the Crocs in the wardrobe section made me chuckle. Just like back in SR2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am waiting to buy new GPU so I can go back and do small Ubisoft marathon that includes AC Syndicate DLCs and Watch_Dogs DLCs. I never played them XD

I didn't care much for Bad Blood as many of the secondary mission objectives were designed to be frustrating.

Cth

That NMS refund thread is now my favorite.

It reminds me of the peeps who wanted to sue over Lords of Magic. Or Ultima IX.

Makes me think of the days when there wasn't an internet and having to dial 900 numbers for hint lines and being stuck when developers couldn't push a patch to fix something post release.

Pixieking

Banned
Ucchedavāda;215367646 said:
If you got what I got, and try to scroll right, then it actually looks something like "KeyId: <key1>Game Key: <half of a steam key>". So it seems like they got a bit too much information while fetching the key, and unfortunately the response got cut off before we got the part that mattered ..

Yeah, I got that too... :( Emailed support, so should get the full key sometime soon, hopefully. :/

I don't think Disney is going to take down their internally developed stuff en masse. Although some of the service-oriented stuff might shut down when they don't want to run the servers. I'm more interested in stuff handled by external publishers.

So here's a list of every game that's Disney related that doesn't list Disney or Lucasarts as a publisher:

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros): 2013
LEGO Marvel's Avengers (Warner Bros): 2016
LEGO Star Wars Force Awakens (Warner Bros: other LEGO games all list Disney as publisher): 2016

The Lego hold all current Disney licenses until 2022 and its likely they will renew as long as those sets keep selling so they are safe for now.
The only weird exception is Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. Yeah its Disney published and Disney IP but it was Tt games developed, Lego has abandon making sets for that series and that might get pulled.

DuckTales Remastered (Capcom): 2013
I'd be really concerned that will get pulled soon.

Deadpool (Activision): 2013, removed in 2014, re-added in 2015
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Activision): 2006, remastered 2016
Marvel Ultimate Alliance II (Activision): 2006, remastered 2016
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision): 2015
The Amazing Spider-Man (Activision): 2012
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Activision): 2014

Those are gone come sometime in 2017. Its pretty clear that Marvel has no interest in working with Activision again.

Grim Fandango Remastered (DoubleFine): 2015, company has license to remake another game in 2017

Sony is backing these so no worries.

Kick-Ass 2 ("United Independent Entertainment GmbH"): 2014
and nothing of Value would be lost.

Marvel Heroes 2015 (Gazillion): Game pulled, but DLC available
Marvel Heroes 2016 (Gazillion): 2014 -- possibly just updated the same app with a new year?
Same app different name. Gazillion has the license till 2020. Looking at their current plans, I doubt it will last beyond that.

Marvel Puzzle Quest (D3): 2013, but last update 2016. F2P, cheapest DLC $10.
Pinball FX2 Marvel DLC (Microsoft): 2013-2015
Pinball FX2 Star Wars DLC (Microsoft): 2013-2015

I have no idea at all on these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom