• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Finally got my new graphics card (1060) delivered. Will be a nice upgrade from a 660. Now I just need to figure out a way to prevent my PC from going into rest mode. Even though the settings are set to off. If it's left on with no music or videos playing it rests. Kind of annoying have to basically restart it from all the way back Everytime.

The Hermit

6YWb.jpg

this is great

Momentary

Banned
Just picked up a Titan X and 6850K along with a shit ton of other goodies. I'll probably start building some time after the 21st of August and will post a pick or a vid of this fresh from scratch build.

I can't wait to see what Megadimension Neptunia looks like in 8K :)

Just got through Regeria Hope: Episode 1 - the price is right, but is it even worth your time?

The story: The year is 2099. You play court-appointed defense attorney Regeria Hope as she takes on various murder cases. Reasonable doubt is now a thing of the past, and the defense attorney has to prove not only the defendant's innocence, but figure out who actually killed the victims. Phoenix Wright forced this on you in three days, in this one you get "ten minutes," because your opponent and former high-school rival, Artemis Narcissus, said so.

Honestly, the story is pretty bad. Ace Attorney games do outlandish things but they at least try to come up with good twists and motives. The twist in this made little to no sense, and given the motive it made the guilty party look really heinous, but nobody seemed to bat an eye at it, as if yup, this is totally normal. Spoilers!
Killer was previously in a lesbian relationship with the victim, and had a restraining order against the victim because she was physically abusive towards her. When the victim got married later to a man, the killer changed her gender to male and posed as a waiter in order to kill the groom so now-he could be with the bride he was abusing, violating the restraining order (only he fucked up and killed the bride.) The victim was filthy rich and never changed her will, so the killer was still the beneficiary (seriously?) but the killer apparently assumed it had changed, so money wasn't a motive. (seriously?!) When the killer admits he used to be the ex-wife, the judge just nods solemnly and instructs the killer to continue, as opposed to expressing outrage.
For some reason, they try to play off the killer as sympathetic when it's utterly unwarranted. It's even worse when you're given the opportunity to just blatantly throw the case for money and have the defendant hanged (because hanging is once again a thing in 2099.) Just...I had high hopes for an Ace Attorney clone, but this isn't it.

It should be noted that there's no investigation portion in this game - it's all the courtroom. I have no idea if future episodes will have one, considering Ace Attorney games usually had the first case just in the courtroom too.

The graphics: Are pretty good for a free game. The interface looks "bad mobile gamey," but the characters look good, especially Artemis. So points for that.

The audio and dialogue: Spelling errors abound. Even character names get misspelled. And some of the characters are just plain idiotic. In Phoenix Wright, the judge and detective Dick Gumshoe are foolish but well-meaning. In Regeria Hope, the judge doesn't appear to give a fuck about the case whatsoever, and the detective is openly corrupt. It would seem that there's no point to a justice system anymore in 2099 and everyone is going through the motions, except you (or, if you choose to be, even you.)

The audio is BAD, like "recorded at somebody's house indie game" bad. Like, Hero Siege bad. The quality is bad, and the voice acting itself is bad. It's...well, I'm being redundant now. It's not the worst voice acting I've ever heard, like it's not Mega Man 8 or Chaos Wars bad, but when you have to dip to that level for negative comparison...

The length: Steam says I took 62 minutes. And that's going through the game more than once to get all the achievements, but to be fair the second time I did a lot of skipping. If you're playing it once, and playing it properly, it's probably gonna be 45-50 minutes. That's fine if it's a free episode cause that's basically demo length, but if all the episodes are that length and they plan on charging, better hope for a sale to hit soon.

The verdict: This game is guilty of being not only a bad Ace Attorney clone, but a bad game. It might be free, and less than an hour, but it's not even worth that. I hereby sentence the developers to play Bunker - The Underground Game.

Knurek

Just picked up a Titan X and 6850K along with a shit ton of other goodies. I'll probably start building some time after the 21st of August and will post a pick or a vid of this fresh from scratch build.

I wish I had a pancrea to sell.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Man I think Im on the final stage of Slain and I gotta say the game may not be perfect but damn the game has a lot of soul. Also I love the difficulty now.

Yakkue

Just got through Regeria Hope: Episode 1 - the price is right, but is it even worth your time?

The story: The year is 2099. You play court-appointed defense attorney Regeria Hope as she takes on various murder cases. Reasonable doubt is now a thing of the past, and the defense attorney has to prove not only the defendant's innocence, but figure out who actually killed the victims. Phoenix Wright forced this on you in three days, in this one you get "ten minutes," because your opponent and former high-school rival, Artemis Narcissus, said so.

Honestly, the story is pretty bad. Ace Attorney games do outlandish things but they at least try to come up with good twists and motives. The twist in this made little to no sense, and given the motive it made the guilty party look really heinous, but nobody seemed to bat an eye at it, as if yup, this is totally normal. Spoilers!
Killer was previously in a lesbian relationship with the victim, and had a restraining order against the victim because she was physically abusive towards her. When the victim got married later to a man, the killer changed her gender to male and posed as a waiter in order to kill the groom so now-he could be with the bride he was abusing, violating the restraining order (only he fucked up and killed the bride.) The victim was filthy rich and never changed her will, so the killer was still the beneficiary (seriously?) but the killer apparently assumed it had changed, so money wasn't a motive. (seriously?!) When the killer admits he used to be the ex-wife, the judge just nods solemnly and instructs the killer to continue, as opposed to expressing outrage.
For some reason, they try to play off the killer as sympathetic when it's utterly unwarranted. It's even worse when you're given the opportunity to just blatantly throw the case for money and have the defendant hanged (because hanging is once again a thing in 2099.) Just...I had high hopes for an Ace Attorney clone, but this isn't it.

It should be noted that there's no investigation portion in this game - it's all the courtroom. I have no idea if future episodes will have one, considering Ace Attorney games usually had the first case just in the courtroom too.

The graphics: Are pretty good for a free game. The interface looks "bad mobile gamey," but the characters look good, especially Artemis. So points for that.

The audio and dialogue: Spelling errors abound. Even character names get misspelled. And some of the characters are just plain idiotic. In Phoenix Wright, the judge and detective Dick Gumshoe are foolish but well-meaning. In Regeria Hope, the judge doesn't appear to give a fuck about the case whatsoever, and the detective is openly corrupt. It would seem that there's no point to a justice system anymore in 2099 and everyone is going through the motions, except you (or, if you choose to be, even you.)

The audio is BAD, like "recorded at somebody's house indie game" bad. Like, Hero Siege bad. The quality is bad, and the voice acting itself is bad. It's...well, I'm being redundant now. It's not the worst voice acting I've ever heard, like it's not Mega Man 8 or Chaos Wars bad, but when you have to dip to that level for negative comparison...

The length: Steam says I took 62 minutes. And that's going through the game more than once to get all the achievements, but to be fair the second time I did a lot of skipping. If you're playing it once, and playing it properly, it's probably gonna be 45-50 minutes. That's fine if it's a free episode cause that's basically demo length, but if all the episodes are that length and they plan on charging, better hope for a sale to hit soon.

The verdict: This game is guilty of being not only a bad Ace Attorney clone, but a bad game. It might be free, and less than an hour, but it's not even worth that. I hereby sentence the developers to play Bunker - The Underground Game.

Thanks for your impressions, I was dissappointed with the game too. Also, the humour didn't work for me at all.
20160731172016_1truh9.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
i love how battletech is shaping up, game looks great. haven't paused much to take a look at the game mechanics, i just think it looks pretty and i kind of really want a pretty pc mech game

i hope it turns out to be the front mission i've been needing for so long

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay by the 3rd Hexcells I thought I'd be done with the series mentally. After all, Squarecells can't be that different, right? So I waited half a year or so...
And here I am again

...21 puzzles in in one sitting
HE DID IT AGAIN HOW

Adnor

Banned
Just finished The Darkness 2, I liked the gameplay but that cliffhanger ending was just... huh. Is there a different ending if you play NG+, or is that just to get all the skills?

I haven't read any Darkness comics so I don't know how it compares to the comic too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's gotten worse. 18 hours ago there were ~170 apps with exfgls; now there are almost 340.

Update: It does seem to just be a new pre-release restriction. Abandoned Hospital VR and Snow Horse released a little while ago, and in both cases the exfgls flag was removed coincident with the change of release state.

Wok

The hype behind it is as stupid as the hype behind Cyberpunk, when all that has is a CG teaser trailer. It's not enough to go on name alone. I need something details of gameplay / narative that I know I can get interested in.

You might want to check the early OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196914

y'all buyin' NMS?

This is my goto for the next 60 days. Waiting for more reviews before pulling the trigger.

aQQ8KbU.png

Then:
  • Seasons After Fall (soonish)
  • Manifold Garden (store page up today I think, game release in a few months)
  • Miegakure (hopefully this year)

Holy shit, apparently version 4.3 of classic shell fucks up with your MBR. I installed it recently and haven't shut down my pc yet. I'm scared :[

If you still have the installer, then take a look at the size and / or MD5 sum. The size should preferably be 7.220.496 bytes (the "clean" version):

Code:
ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0_clean.exe
   MD5: e10881b65c27c6e09e5a33cd8bcd99c6
   SHA1: a6b06d07fe3b1a7204b1b62c67fbf3c602385364
   File size: 7220496 bytes

ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0_infected.exe
   MD5: c67dff7c65792e6ea24aa748f34b9232
   SHA1: 438b6fa7d5a2c7ca49837f403bcbb73c14d46a3e
   File size: 7148732 bytes

Also, you can check if it is signed by Ivaylo Beltchev (right click on the file, then Properties, then Digitial Signatures). The infected version is not signed.

Finally, I was not even able to install the infected version (it simply popped up a window and then closed immediately), so if you were able to install it, then that might suggest that you got the proper version.

Am I safe with the classic shell download, I got it from the official site which linked to mediafire?

Yes, you should be safe. The bad file was on FossHub. They took that down and replaced it with the mediafire link. But you can also check the file as described above.

Wok

Oh god, I followed Knurek's recommendation and updated it recently.

I wonder whether it is why my PC did not shutdown this night. I am sure I told it to shutdown and then this morning, it is on...

Ucchedavāda;212424950 said:
Yes, you should be safe. The bad file was on FossHub. They took that down and replaced it with the mediafire link. But you can also check the file as described above.

What about the translated version? I downloaded the French installer, but I don't have it anymore and I don't remember whether it was on mediafire.

Knurek

Oh god, I followed Knurek's recommendation and updated it recently.

I wonder whether it is why my PC did not shutdown this night. I am sure I told it to shutdown and then this morning, it is on...

Dev said if you successfully updated (Classic Shell shows 4.3.0), you didn't get the virus.
Also, as stated above, the malware installed wasn't signed, if during the install you got a UAC prompt with Ivo's name, you should be okay.

Wok

Dev said if you successfully updated (Classic Shell shows 4.3.0), you didn't get the virus.
Also, as stated above, the malware installed wasn't signed, if during the install you got a UAC prompt with Ivo's name, you should be okay.

Thanks, the update did go through.

Did anyone see the new game published by Might And Delight? (Shelter, Pid)

It's called Pan Pan and it looks pretty fucking great.

I saw it, it looks similar to Pavilion to some extent. Except that you control the little character instead of a light. The puzzles seem very simple. You can check the store page.

Granjinha

Thanks, the update did go through.

I saw it, it looks similar to Pavilion to some extent. Except that you control the little character instead of a light. The puzzle seems very simple.

It's also open world, so i don't think it's very much like pavillion :p

Bandai-Namco is strange.

Releasing One Piece, but wont release it in Japan (?), India and China, while China might even be the biggest market for One Piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom