• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
the NMS shit show is delicious

can't wait for friday

Link? Is that thread about the fake multiplayer? If so yeah, this is basically a single-player game which only needs an internet connection to share the name of planets etc.
Do you imagine Sony requiring Plus to play this? I'd imagine the shitstorm.

I just got a Windows tablet with 1 USB port and Bluetooth. I'm thinking about doing some In home streaming

New Xbone Bluetooth controller or Steam Controller?

Xbone leaves that port free but Steam Controller is so much more versatile.

Does your tablet have 5ghz wifi ? Otherwise, you can say goodbye to steam in home streaming.
2.4Ghz bluetooth and 2.4Ghz wifi will interfere. You won't be able to play.

Ozium

the only way it can get worse is if the pc port is a disaster

I pre-ordered on Humble because the game looks cool to me for what it is, and I believe the PC version will be good.. It's not a pc port, it was being made before sony ever picked it up.. Believe.

also when I say shitshow I don't mean the game but the reaction and the internet brouhaha over it... that alone has been worth my pre-order money :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260567

Hektor

Moser!
6C9E87221599A6A8C12B686BAE06534413877115

That was one women with a knife, wtf squad

I hope No Man's Sky actually has a multiplayer system, but it requires end-game tech to make a portal or something to travel interdimensionally, and SEAN hasn't outright said it because it's a surprise. He did say it'd be very hard to meet up. ???

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I expected nothing from No Mans Sky, and it still looks a bit bland.

If the PC port isn't complete shite I'll get it on sale

Finished The Fall. Gameplay was meh, but story, writing, voice acting and atmosphere were all great. I saw the twist coming a mile away tho.

Anyway, looking forward to the 2nd one whenever it comes out.

Nzyme32

~looks on Gaming side~

"Game that was never promoted as having multiplayer has no multiplayer...News At 11"

~exits Gaming side~

the NMS shit show is delicious

can't wait for friday

Yeah pretty amusing. A bunch of people so hooked into hype culture and those threads and then find out all the speculation they were hooked to didn't match reality.

the only way it can get worse is if the pc port is a disaster

Aw suck it, I preordered No Man's Sky. I like some not-complex space exploration and it looks like a cool relaxing game to play for an hour after work exploring planets and flying through space. If the game can give me that then it's exactly what I want.

Same boat. As long as the PC version is good, I'll probably get it. I'm not sure if I can justify the price though considering I'd also be using it pretty casually. I might just get it straight away to shut myself up

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I already have a massive backlog AND Deus Ex is out the 23rd, can't fit NMS into that

I mean I'll probably still get it in the sales, but it's always a blessing to have a backlog stopping you from impulse purchasing

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah pretty amusing. A bunch of people so hooked into hype culture and those threads and then find out all the speculation they were hooked to didn't match reality.

Same boat. As long as the PC version is good, I'll probably get it. I'm not sure if I can justify the price though considering I'd also be using it pretty casually. I might just get it straight away to shut myself up

I mean, the devs themselves said, repeatedly, that you could in rare occasions see another players or their ships. This is not speculation, hype culture or misinformation. This is literally what was said by the devs themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nzyme32

I mean, the devs themselves said, repeatedly, that you could in rare occasions see another players or their ships. This is not speculation, hype culture or misinformation. This is literally what was said by the devs themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where though? I recall something about notifying that you were in a place a friend was etc but that was it. They even went into detail about how it would be extremely difficult to synchronise multiple players to the game anyway. Should be noted, that I haven't followed the game anywhere near as closely as others

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah pretty sure Gaming side needs to cool down for couple of days, those NMS threads are insane

Its another high profile Sony title being reviewed. It's been this way for the past 10 years. Enjoy the shit show.

On a more important note, The International is having an amazing game right now between Newbee and EG.

MUnited83

For you.
Where though? I recall something about notifying that you were in a place a friend was etc but that was it. They even went into detail about how it would be extremely difficult to synchronise multiple players to the game anyway. Should be noted, that I haven't followed the game anywhere near as closely as others

"You effectively see their suit actually," Murray said. "So you won't know what's inside. It still won't answer for people whether you are an alien or whether you are a human or what you look like."

It has been definitely advertised as a actual thing. Yes, a very light multiplayer experience, that what they told people and what people were expecting. Now, the current issue might be just network connection errors and we will eventually be able to see if the component is there, or it doesn't exist at all and the devs lied. That has nothing to do with misinformation or hype culture, and frankly, I'd expect for people to inform themselves before complaining about misinformation :p

Nzyme32

It has been definitely advertised as a actual thing. Yes, a very light multiplayer experience, that what they told people and what people were expecting. Now, the current issue might be just network connection errors and we will eventually be able to see if the component is there, or it doesn't exist at all and the devs lied. That has nothing to do with misinformation or hype culture, and frankly, I'd expect for people to inform themselves before complaining about misinformation :p

Well as far as I am concerned the issues of "60fps" is hype culture at its finest, the company were vague, people speculated and stuck with it, then get dissappointed despite people logically concluding it probably wouldn't be so performant. I have definitely seen an article that goes into why it wouldn't be easily possible to have players synchronised in the universe and some mention of a notification system for knowing when a friend has been or is in the same system. If that stuff isn't in anymore, sure my mistake, but I also think the communication has been amazingly poor (especially regarding the PC due to their contractual obligations apparently). People speculated and stuck with it and then complained - see "60fps". I don't know, to me a lot of it has been dubious and marketing-laden with "hype" that I took the stance to wait for the actual product, so I am in no way surprised, as I mentioned weeks ago. Seems the culture of the industry and the players if you ask me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well as far as I am concerned the issues of "60fps" is hype culture at its finest, the company were vague, people speculated and stuck with it, then get dissappointed despite people logically concluding it probably wouldn't be so performant. I have definitely seen an article that goes into why it wouldn't be easily possible to have players synchronised in the universe and some mention of a notification system for knowing when a friend has been or is in the same system. If that stuff isn't in anymore, sure my mistake, but I also think the communication has been amazingly poor (especially regarding the PC due to their contractual obligations apparently). People speculated and stuck with it and then complained - see "60fps". I don't know, to me a lot of it has been dubious and marketing-laden with "hype" that I took the stance to wait for the actual product, so I am in no way surprised, as I mentioned weeks ago. Seems the culture of the industry and the players if you ask me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Atleast you can refund on Steam if you dont feel comfortable with your purchase

MUnited83

For you.

I mean, there is no speculation whatsoever, once again. Read the quotes again; devs have said that you can, in rare ocasions, see other players ships or suits, even bump into them. This is not speculation and this is not hyped people taking statements out of context. It is literally what has been said by the devs.

Nzyme32

Atleast you can refund on Steam if you dont feel comfortable with your purchase

Yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning for being able to put money down on some of the games I'm interested in though I generally refuse to pre-order. Not had a problem with the refunds system thus far.

I mean, there is no speculation whatsoever, once again. Read the quotes again; devs have said that you can, in rare occasions, see other players ships or suits, even bump into them. This is not speculation and this is not hyped people taking statements out of context. It is literally what has been said by the devs.

Like I said, if I'm wrong on that then fine, but there is still plenty of that hype nonsense going on in the gaming side for the game and devs communicating poorly at best from my point of view, especially when we are having to discuss this very issue - something not even on the store page

Edit - And more to the point, why are we even taking some random reddit posts as ironclad proof that it isn't in the game. With all the server issues who can even tell with such certainty. It's isn't something I've based my purchase on anyway.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning for being able to put money down on some of the games I'm interested in though I generally refuse to pre-order. Not had a problem with the refunds system thus far.

Like I said, if I'm wrong on that then fine, but there is still plenty of that hype nonsense going on in the gaming side for the game and devs communicating poorly at best from my point of view, especially when we are having to discuss this very issue - something not even on the store page

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

fantomena

Holy fuck. Get FPS between 150 (lowest Ive seen) to 200, mostly stable around 180-200 in Doom at everything maxed out on Vulkan.

Giant leap form the 690 card where I got kinda 60 FPS, mostly between 40-60 at medium-high settings.

Nzyme32

Nice. One is VGX which is so far back that I wouldn't even count it, but for the others sure. But as I edited in, why are we even so certain that random reddit posts are iron clad proof, especially considering the server issues? As above, I haven't based my purchase on the idea that I might meet a friend in the game.

Edit - there are also people posting about PS4 trailers being 60fps but the game not being? Last I saw the game looked pretty wonky on the consoles with lots of lod issues, so I assumed 60fps wouldn't happen anyway. Perhaps I just sat out of the gaming side so much that I didn't see any of this happening.

Little King's Story is out already? Huh.

I can't keep up with Steam anymore, it seems.

Yeah, not sure on it's current state though. Jim Sterling's vid on it seems to proclaim it as a shit port, which rules it out for me. I'll wait and see if anyone posts about some sort of patch that fixes things up.

Grief.exe

This 4X was just announced today and it looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRvPbAvzrM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/466560/

Little King's Story is out already? Huh.

I can't keep up with Steam anymore, it seems.

The port does need some work unfortunately.

Holy fuck. Get FPS between 150 (lowest Ive seen) to 200, mostly stable around 180-200 in Doom at everything maxed out on Vulkan.

Giant leap form the 690 card where I got kinda 60 FPS, mostly between 40-60 at medium-high settings.

Do you have a monitor that can take advantage of that framerate?

Nzyme32

see, you can never see me say doto isn't awesome when they do things like this

that's something i can be jealous of, not a fucking prizepool lol

so good, kudos doto

Absolutely. I like how this just happened and they didn't address it at all. The "head rubbing" and "personal brand" parts were hysterical. The kind of banter I usually expect from the noob stream where Pyrion usually resides, but seems they didn't bother with it this year and just upgraded him to the main desk

This 4X was just announced today and it looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRvPbAvzrM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/466560/

The port does need some work unfortunately.

Do you have a monitor that can take advantage of that framerate?

Wow. Extremely interested! On to the wishlist. Pre-ordered NMS, but still sceptical on it. Will give it an couple of hours before deciding if it is worth the full price. If not I'll refund and save for something like this. What a nice surprise.

Just Cause 3 is pretty fun, it runs great for the most part maxed out but there is some weird stuttering when getting challenges, which apparently is a wide spread problem with one of the later patches? Looks fantastic too, really nice lighting and surprisingly good character models and animations.

EDIT: Also completely lost when it comes to this NVIDIA GeForce Experience and driver utility, gonna have to spend some time tomorrow digging through all the settings.

NMS is the new Lionhead game?

I mean they said it might be rare to see other players but then release a trailer where there are like 5 ships having a dogfight...

mrgone

I mean they said it might be rare to see other players but then release a trailer where there are like 5 ships having a dogfight...

There are AI controlled ships all over the place in the game. Were they specifically called out as other players?

Larian posted a Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update, giving a glimpse at character creation and stats, as well as a vow to bring a lot more updates during August.

Looks more like a Settlers-esque RTS/sim thing than a 4X, but looking good nontheless. A Settlers successor has been sorely needed for years, now.

I will admit I was getting all excited over the prospect of a Thea: The Envikening....

Nzyme32

The Lionhead comparison is apt for my current predicament. NMS has that same poorly communicated / over hyped presentation, but at the same time seems to be doing a lot of what was promised and is unique. Where it gets questionable is all related to how unknown it is to me. Will I stick with it or get bored, is the gameplay something that will get tedious or tiresome.

Watching a live stream for an hour, I'm less convinced that even as a casual hour a day playing, that it might have the longevity and entertainment to justify the price. Guess I'll have to try it and see or keep watching streams to understand possible progression and whether that maintains interest.

Wrong thread.

However I will say that Northgard game looks pretty good. A departure from the Evoland games the developer made. Looking forward to seeing more.

I swear to god if we lose 428 forever because of fucking KBO I will be so unbelievably pissed.

This is one of those things I've been holding out for a long time for a localization for, right next to Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Mother 3. It's so infuriating to SEE it slipping from my grasp right in front of me because of some dime a dozen dating sim.

I swear to god if we lose 428 forever because of fucking KBO I will be so unbelievably pissed.

This is one of those things I've been holding out for a long time for a localization for, right next to Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Mother 3. It's so infuriating to SEE it slipping from my grasp right in front of me because of some dime a dozen dating sim.

I doubt 428 will be put aside just so Spike Chunsoft can release an otome game. I'm too surprised it's winning over 428. However, seeing that the demand is high for 428, Spike Chunsoft is probably wise enough to know it can sell good on Steam. And lately, SC has been making the right moves when it comes to bringing their titles to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom