• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Finished chapter 6 of Trails SC.

Damn those two chapters were something else, even though the ones before were already pretty damn amazing. The intensity was through the roof. Teared up a couple times as well.
The ending of chapter 6 was just beautiful.

(And thanks for the party suggestions btw, went with Olivier and Kloe after all)
Speaking of which...
Olivieeeeeeeeeer, just you wait I'm going to drag you back into my party whether you want to or not!

Man, I can't wait to play Little King's Story again, I tried playing it twice on the Wii, but I hated the controls and the low rez of the game. I am so excited to actually finish it!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope ABZU delivers. Underwater games have so much potential.

I'm noticing a theme with these Ryse statues...
Fully expect this to get lost in the flow of the Steam thread, but I picked up Life is Strange Episode 1 for the low, low price of free when it was on offer the other week and I'm seriously impressed. Great art style, interesting hook, it's definitely got me interested in picking up the season pass. I've only played an hour or so but I'm liking what I've seen so far. Without spoiling anything, am I in for a good time if I pick this up?
Episode 1 is far and away the roughest of them all, so if you're already loving it you should dig the whole series. And rest assured, it is a great time.

If you're looking for more LiS-styled games afterwards, TellTale's stuff, mainly the Walking Dead S1/S2 or Tales From the Borderlands would be worth looking into. Alternately, if you're seeking adventure games in general, check out Wadjet Eye's lineup.
Man, I can't wait to play Little King's Story again, I tried playing it twice on the Wii, but I hated the controls and the low rez of the game. I am so excited to actually finish it!

I'm the opposite. It makes me want to jump into my copy of LKS Wii and finally finish it. But I'm afraid if I turn on my Wii it will explode... I should really just transfer data to my Wii U and be done with it at this point.

Monooboe

Ah it felt actually quite good going back to the Division, I needed a audiobook game and just running around shooting looters and finding collectibles was good for that.

Also I forgot how gorgeous it is.

dex3108

Inwas mostly pointing at tintin :p
Wonder if incan redeem my king kong game from gg on uplay too...

I have R6 Vegas 1 and 2 keys and SC Double Agent that i got from that Polish magazine CD Action or whatever but they don't work. You can contact Ubi support, they now have chat support.

kagamin

Ah it felt actually quite good going back to the Division, I needed a audiobook game and just running around shooting looters and finding collectibles was good for that.

Also I forgot how gorgeous it is.

End game is a slog to say the least, it basically means getting carried for me because I pretty much never get any good drops, and even when I do my armor bonuses aren't very helpful so it still takes me like 5 headshots to down normal enemies, not even counting heavies.

Nillansan

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. How about America's Largest Street Gang Simulator? Yay or nay?

When the price is revealed to be too high:

$XX.XX is a joke.

In the spirit of all indie game OTs on GAF.

This is the Police |OT| #BlueLivesStrat-er

I like this one.

This is not in the spirit of the words. Do it

Maybe. It certainly aligns with my sentiments towards the American police force.

This is the Police |OT| These are their stories.

That's a good one too, albeit on the safer end of the spectrum.

Monooboe

End game is a slog to say the least, it basically means getting carried for me because I pretty much never get any good drops, and even when I do my armor bonuses aren't very helpful so it still takes me like 5 headshots to down normal enemies, not even counting heavies.

Mm I'm at two headshots now and have some areas left before endgame, so yeah I don't if I could handle 5 headshots to down normal enemies.o_O

Anteater

aww shit teh evil within running well
evilwithin_2016_08_02alxij.jpg

Finished chapter 6 of Trails SC.

Damn those two chapters were something else, even though the ones before were already pretty damn amazing. The intensity was through the roof. Teared up a couple times as well.
The ending of chapter 6 was just beautiful.

(And thanks for the party suggestions btw, went with Olivier and Kloe after all)
Speaking of which...
Olivieeeeeeeeeer, just you wait I'm going to drag you back into my party whether you want to or not!

Man, I need 3rd so much, I will never get enough of these characters. Estelle is the best.
I was literally in tears when SC's localization was announced, good times.

The Division never really managed to get it's playerbase back it seems. Today's peak concurrent player count on Steam is just 5K and the recent reviews are still mostly negative. Still can't think of any other big/AAA game that started so well and faltered so spectacularly.

rdytoroll

Been playing Book of Demons for a few hours now and it's great for just having launched in Early Access. It's a great homage to the Diablo series with some unique touches to it, mainly the papercrafted art style and card system. If you are looking for an unique hack&slash game you should check it out

And now back to playing Trails in the Sky lol

dex3108

I am really surprised by R6 Siege post launch support. I think that game got Witcher 3 level of post launch support. That is really surprising for Ubisoft.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I am really surprised by R6 Siege post launch support. I think that game got Witcher 3 level of post launch support. That is really surprising for Ubisoft.

Nah, they just planned a year of dlc ahead of time. The real question is can they support it past that and make it like Counter Strike or something or is Ubisoft just gonna push for a sequel and the game will die.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm noticing a theme with these Ryse statues...

Episode 1 is far and away the roughest of them all, so if you're already loving it you should dig the whole series. And rest assured, it is a great time.

If you're looking for more LiS-styled games afterwards, TellTale's stuff, mainly the Walking Dead S1/S2 or Tales From the Borderlands would be worth looking into. Alternately, if you're seeking adventure games in general, check out Wadjet Eye's lineup.

I'm already very familiar with TellTale's stuff, I've been an adventure games fan since Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island etc, so when they ended up getting the Sam & Max license I caught on to their work, been a fan of their output lately as they've been improving a lot. Thanks for the recommendation though!

dex3108

Nah, they just planned a year of dlc ahead of time. The real question is can they support it past that and make it like Counter Strike or something or is Ubisoft just gonna push for a sequel and the game will die.

You cant plan all of those changes they did beside new maps and operators.

rdytoroll

Looking forward to that new CK2 DLC, should be dope.

I wish I would understand this game. It features one of my favorite time periods and it's strategy! What could go wrong?

Same problem I sadly have with Hearts of Iron IV. These games are so complex, feels like I have to take a course on them

Purkake4

Banned
The plague one? It sounds dope, indeed. Most interesting one in a while, since Way of Life, to me.
Yeah, the Reaper's Due, featuring a boatload of roleplay stuff and coming 25 August:

• Symptoms: characters no longer simply become ill through an event, but instead receive one of a variety of symptoms (Cough, Fever, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Headache, Chest Pain, Rash, Cramps, Abdominal pain, Fatigue, Malaise) and over time it will either evolve into a full blown disease, or will simply pass.
  • Court Physician is a new minor title which you can give out to a well-learned person which makes them responsible for diagnosing and treating illnesses in your court.
  • New death screams.
  • Epidemics can now spread along the Silk road when present, and are more likely to spread to rich and coastal provinces while being less likely to spread to poorer inland areas. They will cause depopulation on provinces even after it has died out, reducing tax incomes, levy/garrison sizes, and supply limits.
  • The Black Death is larger and more deadly, and gets a chance of major outbreak to occur 200 years into any game, regardless of start date. After a major outbreak has happened the disease becomes endemic and may break out again, but likely on a smaller scale.
  • Ways to defend against epidemics: seclusion of a character's court in his castle, or building Hospitals (new holding type similar to Trade posts or Forts) to increase the disease defense level.
  • Prosperity system: as opposed to Depopulation, provinces which have not been besieged, raided, or ravaged by disease for a long time will begin to Prosper, and gain certain bonuses- such as extra tax income and faster replenishment of levies. Independent dukes or higher can set one of their Demesne provinces to be their Crown Focus for additional yearly increase and events.
  • New narrative events such as The rise of a Prophet of Doom, A general belief that the dead have returned to walk the earth and attack the living, or Panic based on a solar eclipse, or the quest for Eternal Life.
  • New maimed traits (One-handed, One-legged, One-Eyed, Disfigured, or Mangled) to replace the generic maimed , and some associated portrait frames.[9] The health penalty from most of these traits is replaced by a Severely Injured trait with penalties but will be lost after some time has passed.
  • New targeted decisions: recruit prisoners, ask vassals individually to end their wars with each other, ask characters to leave their court and ask their vassals to return to gavelkind succession.
  • 50 new nicknames: 'One-Eye', 'the Frog', 'the Cannibal', 'the Hideous', 'the Resilient', etc.
  • Interactions with prisoners: Humiliate, Torture, Mutilate, Bad poetry and Consume (if cannibal).
  • 31 execution methods, including Hanging, Crushing, Sawing, and Bear.
  • Reactions events to the death of lovers, friends, and rivals

zkylon

zkylewd
So I think I almost cleaned up my PS1 backlog, those are remaining titles:
-Suikoden 1 (currently playing it)
-Suikoden 2
-Grandia (I did this up to the final boss, but I couldn't defeat him when I was a kid)
-Clock Tower 2 (or 1, it depends if you count the SNES game)
-Chrono Cross
-Xenogears
cool list, suiko2 and xenogears are some of my favorite games ever

if u have room toss in valkyrie profile, that game's great

owners of Slain will get a giftable copy with the release of 2.0. patch notes:
can't help but applaud their attempts to turn things around, would've been awesome if the game was great from the beginning but better late than ever

I don't understand why TellTale sucks so much. They don't bother to translate their titles including italian subtitles if not in rare cases like Walking Dead S1 (like one year later) or Borderlands, italian is the only missing language, closing threads in their forum for people asking for a translation. I don't have a problem with english, but a lot of friends of mine don't buy TT games because they are not translated.
Also on PC we paid more for GOT and Borderlands compared to PSN, like 3€ for each. Now Batman is in pre-order on PSN giving The Wolf Among US, and PC users get nothing.
not sure if that counts as sucking, they probably just don't have the resources to translate every game and only do it for the most successful ones

after all their games are probably pretty tough to localize since it's all dialogue

Purkake4

Banned
I wish I would understand this game. It features one of my favorite time periods and it's strategy! What could go wrong?

Same problem I sadly have with Hearts of Iron IV. These games are so complex, feels like I have to take a course on them
Unfortunately that kind of how it works, the more in depth the simulation the more moving parts there are. For Crusader Kings 2, basically there are a few thousand individual people thrown into the feudal framework of medieval Europe and let loose to act based on their individual traits and how those interact with each other. You are just in charge of one of those and the game would also work with 100% AIs playing it.

Just watch some let's plays or youtube tutorials to get into it, if the idle thumbs guy could do it on stream, anyone should be able to.

Ludens

Banned
cool list, suiko2 and xenogears are some of my favorite games ever

if u have room toss in valkyrie profile, that game's great

I never heard of Valkyrie Profile (I mean, I've heard about it, but I never saw not even a screenshot), I'll look for it. Regarding TT, I think they have enough resources and money to pay a translator, I mean, they don't even need to dub the game, just provide subtitles. If you remember I did a not bad translation of the first episode of Life is Strange (not the entire episode, let's say half of it) in something like 70 minutes, just to discover there were files regarding a future italian translation in the game so I dropped the ball. If I can do that, I think a paid translator can do the trick in a week or so with no trouble.

My memory about FFXII is very bad, because I started hating FF franchise with this game. I loved X, finding X-2 just interesting, but XII was the first game I forced myself to completed skipping ALL optional contents, and still I suffered a lot.
The good things I remember were the graphics and Balthier+Fran, the only interesting characters in the game. The main protagonist was awful, the plot a snoozefest.
Oh, there were even a Judge or something similar with a cool design, but I think he was just an enemy appearing in and there.
When the game will release on Steam I'll take it, because at this point it's the only numbered FF I'm missing (excluding 1+2), and of course I'll play it again hoping I was wrong back in days.

The thing with CK2 is that you don't need to win or even succeed to have fun. Just choose a start and let the stories flow.

To learn the game's mechanics, start somewhere small, say in Ireland, and see how long you can survive, and whether you can grow at all; maybe set a goal of unifying Ireland as one of your "big," multi-generational goals. Understanding the baseline mechanics and slowly growing your demesne will help you figure out how to play larger kingdoms more easily. But truly, the story of how it all falls apart is what makes CK2 so great.

rdytoroll

Unfortunately that kind of how it works, the more in depth the simulation the more moving parts there are. For Crusader Kings 2, basically there are a few thousand individual people thrown into the feudal framework of medieval Europe and let loose to act based on their individual traits and how those interact with each other. You are just in charge of one of those and the game would also work with 100% AIs playing it.

Just watch some let's plays or youtube tutorials to get into it, if the idle thumbs guy could do it on stream, anyone should be able to.

The thing with CK2 is that you don't need to win or even succeed to have fun. Just choose a start and let the stories flow.

To learn the game's mechanics, start somewhere small, say in Ireland, and see how long you can survive, and whether you can grow at all; maybe set a goal of unifying Ireland as one of your "big," multi-generational goals. Understanding the baseline mechanics and slowly growing your demesne will help you figure out how to play larger kingdoms more easily. But truly, the story of how it all falls apart is what makes CK2 so great.

This gives me hope lol. I'll try it soon, but first gotta finish some other games.
Are there any DLCs that are recommended for a beginner? (kinda like CIV V where each DLC makes the game better)

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
You cant plan all of those changes they did beside new maps and operators.

It's an online game, if they're not gonna try to keep it balanced and viable then it's dead from the get-go.

Purkake4

Banned
This gives me hope lol. I'll try it soon, but first gotta finish some other games.
Are there any DLCs that are recommended for a beginner? (kinda like CIV V where each DLC makes the game better)
Paradox stuff is kind of modular, the game gets patched on one (free) branch and then the DLC unlocks additional features (like playing as north african, pagan, mongol or indian leaders with different gameplay for example). A lot of it is really nice, but the basic game is also fine without it. Here's a tutorial with the latest patch, and all the DLC enabled. You might be able to snatch a nice package with a lot of the DLC included on a sale though.

zkylon

zkylewd
I never heard of Valkyrie Profile (I mean, I've heard about it, but I never saw not even a screenshot), I'll look for it. Regarding TT, I think they have enough resources and money to pay a translator, I mean, they don't even need to dub the game, just provide subtitles. If you remember I did a not bad translation of the first episode of Life is Strange (not the entire episode, let's say half of it) in something like 70 minutes, just to discover there were files regarding a future italian translation in the game so I dropped the ball. If I can do that, I think a paid translator can do the trick in a week or so with no trouble.
valkyrie profile is fantasitc, i really recommend you make room for that (bump out grandia if u have to lol)

about telltale, idk, it's not the same doing a professional translation that what u can do in ur free time, specially if u probably didn't do like every bit of incidental text and quip and menu text and crap. it's definitely not a week's work, you're crazy :p

i think you're right about subtitles only tho, but idk, i still don't think that's a reason for them to suck, that's just a decision you don't agree with

rtcn63

TEW- killed the
chapter 10 boss
by desperation. My health was in the red (so I couldn't run, a mechanic I am not fond of) and just said fuck it and stood there with my rifle. It seems if you
hit him square in the pink eye, he
gets incapacitated for a bit.

The DLC is visual flair, with the expansions generally enabling playing as something new, rather than actually bringing new mechanics into the game (because they get patched in as the xpac releases). There are some exceptions, but it is largely an access gate. So like, muslim rulers are in the vanilla game, but with the Sword of Islam xpac you can play as them (and they have completely different ways of playing vs. traditional Christian rulers).

Though, if I had to choose a single expansion DLC to buy, it would be The Old Gods. It adds an earlier start and lets you play as Norse pagans... aka vikings! It's very fun; raiding never gets old.
I think the next patch should also bring the game mode options letting you turn stuff like fantasy events or shattered retreat on/off.

Bear slider!

Ludens

Banned
valkyrie profile is fantasitc, i really recommend you make room for that (bump out grandia if u have to lol)

about telltale, idk, it's not the same doing a professional translation that what u can do in ur free time, specially if u probably didn't do like every bit of incidental text and quip and menu text and crap. it's definitely not a week's work, you're crazy :p

i think you're right about subtitles only tho, but idk, i still don't think that's a reason for them to suck, that's just a decision you don't agree with

I know a professional job is different (in fact I wrote translating a game like that would require a wee or so), but I think a professional translator would find TT titles very easy to translate. They are not Joyce's works, just everyday's dialogues, it's not like translating from japanase to english I believe.
Maybe it's not a week, maybe 10 days, but I think it's a very easy task. There are crew in Italy which translate TT stuff for free, I never installed those patches but I know they are very good, in fact some people suggest to install the fan-made patch for The Walking Dead because the official TT translation is very bad, and usually those people released the translation for each episode after a couple of days or so, even because they did that in their spare time. But again I'm not into this, so I may be wrong.

Regarding Valkyrie maybe you are right, I'm trying to do "short" jrpgs, and Grandia was VERY long: I remember I took MONTHS to reach the end when I was a kid, even because I played something like 20-30 minutes each day, no guide since 56k connections etc, just to be killed in 20 seconds by the last boss no matter what. Also I remember levelling in that game took ages.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Large Professor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Large Professor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Slain: Back from Hell -- MB-94A24C9F97B641C1 - Taken by Ozium. 42 entrants total.

t1470086377z1.png

Playing Alien Isolation.

Chapter 8 spoilers:
Getting to to the alien ship from the first movie was quite a surprise and really cool. Even though it was obvious what was going to happen there it was still done really well. It looked like they spent a lot of time on that area in development, looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom