• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

for as much as people don't like a game they never played, they sure do like to spend a lot of their time talking about it

Ludens

Banned
for as much as people don't like a game they never played, they sure do like to spend a lot of their time talking about it

It's just a way like another to have fun with the game itself. I'm literally stealing fun out of NMS without purchasing it :p Turning serious, I'm just pointing out the game's issues, since not all people browse through all NMS's threads. Also I was interested in NMS, even if I was not hyped at all (hype only got me with Witcher 3 and MGSV, and I'm still regretting the second one because it didn't deliver as expected) I was following some threads in and there: if I discover the dev is lying from YEARS, well, for me it's a no-no and my interest turn into a "bundled or when 80% off just for curiosity" thing.

The 4chan rumours are getting more and more legit by the day.

Selling the online is a very crappy thing to do, like when Capcom sold RE5 Versus (included on disc) for 5€.

zkylon

zkylewd
i get the impression from what i hear about no man's sky that the problem with that game is that it was a game sold on infinite possibilities but what they did with those was fit them into existing game formulas

comparing it to mirrormoon that's a game that's hard to describe by most familiar game vocabularity

it's a puzzle and exploration game of sorts but it's neither of those in the traditional sense and because of that it manages to make space feel intriguing and alien

honestly it's kind of hilarious that for all the fuss about no man's sky being hard to demo in a press conference and gameplay videos and whatnot and then it turns out it's sort of just another one of those games. sort of, i think, cos there seems to be something else in there maybe because of a combination of how good the art design is and how all the procedural generation stuff works out, but still

Corpekata

Banned
Is VA-11-HALL-A meant to be 30 FPS locked? Can't find a single reference to it being so, but it is for me.

Wouldn't mind it so much if it had controller support but mouse cursors at 30 fps are juddery as shit.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is VA-11-HALL-A meant to be 30 FPS locked? Can't find a single reference to it being so, but it is for me.

Wouldn't mind it so much if it had controller support but mouse cursors at 30 fps are juddery as shit.

not sure if it's locked (wouldn't surprise me since it's a 2d visual novel game), but im playing it on 30

honestly i can't imagine it being bothersome in the slightest considering all you do in this game is read

you can use spacebar to get ur next dialogue line if you find moving the cursor unbearable -___-

Coreda

Is anyone here really that surprised at what NMS turned out to be? As from what I saw it matched my expectations from the trailers and gameplay I'd seen. It's a neat looking procedurally generated planet explorer, heavy on the walking with some Spore like stuff and shooty elements, and priced at a 'non-indie' price point. Now some are like 'hey whaddaya know, the gameplay isn't terribly interesting and it looks pretty samey.' Nothing surprised me. It was obvious to me from the get-go exploration was the only reason to buy it. Hearing criticisms that it can't do more seems some let their imagination get the better of them—or did I miss certain back of the box features they promised (apart from the ability to meet others)?

Didn't notice any cursor smoothness issues but I didn't move it outside of drink making.

Parsnip

The day I trust Sterling's review on anything is the day I might as well jump off of a rooftop.

Which is not to say that I care about NMS, but it has been obvious from the start that it's not going to be for everyone.

Corpekata

Banned
not sure if it's locked (wouldn't surprise me since it's a 2d visual novel game), but im playing it on 30

honestly i can't imagine it being bothersome in the slightest considering all you do in this game is read

you can use spacebar to get ur next dialogue line if you find moving the cursor unbearable -___-

Did you really think I was referring to cursor movement regarding text and not y'know, the very prominent drink mixing mechanics?

Stall19

Dirt Rally, Yay or Nay? Is it good with just a controller? I have Project Cars but the stages are pretty dull. I don't want race track stages.

THQ is back... in Nordic form.

Meet THONORDIC
THQ-Nordic.jpg
They have 20-odd games in development, mostly unannounced projects. And given their output so far, that doesn't excite me in the least.

So guys I want to join the NMS hype train and pre-order myself some electronic rage to direct at Sean Murray for failing to deliver on the hype. But I noticed it's like 13€ cheaper in Great Britain. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm wondering if I could just switch my store country to Great Britain and buy it from there despite living in Belgium? I'm not talking about VPN'ing but just switching and hoping they don't check paypal details or something.

I know it's 99% likely I'm being an idiot but I'm okay with that because it fits my avatar perfectly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So guys I want to join the NMS hype train and pre-order myself some electronic rage to direct at Sean Murray for failing to deliver on the hype. But I noticed it's like 13€ cheaper in Great Britain. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm wondering if I could just switch my store country to Great Britain and buy it from there despite living in Belgium? I'm not talking about VPN'ing but just switching and hoping they don't check paypal details or something.

I know it's 99% likely I'm being an idiot but I'm okay with that because it fits my avatar perfectly.

No (well, you can, albeit with a VPN, but you shouldn't). Just have a UK GAFer gift it to you.

Jawmuncher

Is anyone here really that surprised at what NMS turned out to be? As from what I saw it matched my expectations from the trailers and gameplay I'd seen. It's a neat looking procedurally generated planet explorer, heavy on the walking with some Spore like stuff and shooty elements, and priced at a 'non-indie' price point. Now some are like 'hey whaddaya know, the gameplay isn't terribly interesting and it looks pretty samey.' Nothing surprised me. It was obvious to me from the get-go exploration was the only reason to buy it. Hearing criticisms that it can't do more seems some let their imagination get the better of them—or did I miss certain back of the box features they promised (apart from the ability to meet others)?

Didn't notice any cursor smoothness issues but I didn't move it outside of drink making.

Nope from the beginning I new it would be a case like Fable and Spore. Promising too much than what is there. That's not to say people can't enjoy it, but I understand why some expectations were way out of whack. I think future updates will help a lot. ATM it seems like early adopters are gonna get burned unless they put a bunch of time into what's there now .

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC, do you know what happened to the family sharing lock? Was it just a bug or is every new release really lccked?

Thanks

The flag was just applied to unreleased apps and is removed automagically upon release. Unreleased games weren't shareable even with a release state override, so my only guess is that dev subs in particular acted differently.

Nope from the beginning I new it would be a case like Fable and Spore. Promising too much than what is there. That's not to say people can't enjoy it, but I understand why some expectations were way out of whack. I think future updates will help a lot. ATM it seems like early adopters are gonna get burned unless they put a bunch of time into what's there now .

It also has to do that it was announced as a PS4 "exclusive". I am sure if it wouldnt have and directly at the beginning it was announced as a multigame, everyone would have think "Neat little Indiegame. Lets wait and see." instead of "OMG. SO GREAT! YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING. I WILL EXPLORE DEM PLANETS!"

Edit: Thanks JaseC.

fantomena

After about 8 hours with NMS on PS4 I have to say that the game is super shallow, repetive and quite boring.

During the first 2 hours it was super interesting because it was the first time I did things. But then things got worse. I barely find any interesting things on any planets. Just collecting resources and searching in caves with nothing new in them.

I happily didn't have any expectations for it, so Im not dissapointed. But I know for sure even though the PC-version will have better FOW and FPS and such, the game won't be any better.

Some people will love the game very much, others won't. This is really a love and hate game.

Nothing about the game suprises me, not the game itself or that some people seem to downright hate it.

The game would have been better off without any prerelease info at all, if it had just came out of nowhere and let people discover it for themselves.

I wish I could understand why a dev trying to be ambitious and trying to promote themselves with cool looking trailers is so offensive to some people though. whysoserious.gif and things like that.

I haven't played it yet so I don't know how good it actually is, but even if it turns out to be dull. I won't fault the devs to trying this concept out.

As for the game price itself, I wonder how many people raging against that price sit with hundreds of unplayed game, which is a far greater waste of money then supporting ambitious indie devs with $60.

yuraya

I still need to play that.

I haven't played it in a while but when I did it was great. Have like 3 lvl20+ characters in it.

If you like Star Wars, Bioware and MMORPG type quests then you should definitely check it out. Its free and has a lot of content too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

The game would have heavily benefited from an early access cycle. Almost all of the games in the same genre use it.

Small rant about the situation and the comparison.

While I was being more of a sass in the review thread about it. I do dislike the Will Wright and Moluynex comparisons(Fable and Spore). They were pillars of 90's game development with an onslaught of great titles beneath their belt. There was a great track record backing their claims. Hence when they didn't deliver, it hurt more so because they should have been capable of so much more.

In this cases, the brunt of the hype comes from being a console exclusive through Sony. I would echo, I think it feels a bit more like The Order. Comes from a smaller developer, given the budget and marketing for a bigger title. Comes out and is very underwhelming. By no means a bad title and it is a solid first effort for a developer stepping up. But it was used as a selling point for the system rather than the developer having a long track record of success.

To me, Spore is a title like Scalebound. Hideki Kamiya has yet to create a title I did not love. Even his mishaps are still beautiful and he has 20 years of creating great games. No Man's Sky is like Prey of the Gods. It looks very interesting and I hope it turns out well. But I have my expectations in check since there isn't that built in history.

On a more interesting note, it's sort of unique how a lot of pillars of PC development from the 90s could not make the transition. Wright, Spector, Camerack, Moluynex, Romero. While Japanese developers on console had much better retention.

I haven't played it in a while but when I did it was great. Have like 3 lvl20+ characters in it.

If you like Star Wars, Bioware and MMORPG type quests then you should definitely check it out. Its free and has a lot of content too.

I love KOTOR, hence why I want to give it a shot.

cyba89

Since when does Steam upload duplicates from already uploaded screenshots when I choose the "Select All" option. I'm pretty sure it previously skipped the already uploaded screenshots.
That's really annoying.

yuraya

8pTSVjV.gif

Seriously tho they should have just released the game in Steam early access a few years ago for 20$. There would have never been any stupid expectations nor would there have been any crazy confusion. They would have been just as successful selling many copies and could have released it in full by now for the 60$ or wtvr.

This entire thing just turned out to be a failed experiment with console gaming's mass marketing and crazy hype machine. Hopefully other developers in the future who plan to make these type of games learned a lesson from this whole thing and don't make the same mistake.

Tizoc

8pTSVjV.gif

Seriously tho they should have just released the game in Steam early access a few years ago for 20$. There would have never been any stupid expectations nor would there have been any crazy confusion. They would have been just as successful selling many copies and could have released it in full by now for the 60$ or wtvr.

This entire thing just turned out to be a failed experiment with console gaming's mass marketing and crazy hype machine. Hopefully other developers in the future who plan to make these type of games learned a lesson from this whole thing and don't make the same mistake.
Early access is rarely good for steam games insnt it? Recall also that the game was planned for ps4
It would not to multiplat until a year or so later
Keep in mind that their offices were flooded at one point

yuraya

Early access is rarely good for steam games insnt it? Recall also that the game was planned for ps4
It would not to multiplat until a year or so later
Keep in mind that their offices were flooded at one point

I mean just look at games like ARK, DayZ, Space Engineers, The Forest, Rust etc. They are all massive success stories. I think NMS would have been unique enough to follow the same path and possibly be even more successful. If Starbound and Terraria can be as successful as they are I don't see why NMS wouldn't have done the same. Release it for 20$ back in 2014 (or 2013) and build a community around it while delivering content patches like multiplayer etc. There is a proven way of doing it but Hello Games decided to take a different path. Now they are paying the price for it with shit reviews and bad word of mouth because mainstream casual gamers expected the 2nd coming with its release. I kinda feel bad for them but they'll still make good $ with it. Hype machines are the worst.

Mivey

I was always interested in NMS as a great techdemo for next generation of procedural generation. I mean, they even generate unique sounds for animal species. If it ends up being a good game as well, great, but the tech behind is interesting enough for me to buy it. For 60€? No, more like 20, but I know what I'm getting into (technically).
Hype is such a childish thing.

Tizoc

I mean just look at games like ARK, DayZ, Space Engineers, The Forest, Rust etc. They are all massive success stories. I think NMS would have been unique enough to follow the same path and possibly be even more successful. If Starbound and Terraria can be as successful as they are I don't see why NMS wouldn't have done the same. Release it for 20$ back in 2014 (or 2013) and build a community around it while delivering content patches like multiplayer etc. There is a proven way of doing it but Hello Games decided to take a different path. Now they are paying the price for it with shit reviews and bad word of mouth because mainstream casual gamers expected the 2nd coming with its release. I kinda feel bad for them but they'll still make good $ with it. Hype machines are the worst.

Fair enough, but keep in mind that the game was initially announced for PS4 only. EA would've been a good idea though once they branched to make it multiplat

Early access is rarely good for steam games insnt it?

It really depends on the developer. Some use early access and work hard to use the early access feedback and turn a good skeleton of a game into a great game. Some, however, take too much feedback from expert players and make the game too difficult for regular players, creating a niche product; some get tired of fixing their game and slap a 1.0 sticker on it (this kills the reviews;) or take several features OUT of the early builds to make their 1.0 (oh hi Starbound;) or worst of all, take the early access money and run.

It's rarely good for the player, but it's almost always good for the developer.

Coreda

Some, however, take too much feedback from expert players and make the game too difficult for regular players, creating a niche product.

I noticed Distance was a bit like this. Not that they were making it more difficult but until very recently they weren't addressing the complaints over the controls and road mechanics from non-hardcore users. Its core community is quite small and has stayed with it since the beginning but many of them believe the controls are fine and basically explain away critiques with the need to get better at it. They're experts at it which I think is fantastic but I feel it's like an echo chamber at times.

Not that I think they need to 'dumb it down' (like I think the core group thinks would happen if anything changed) but there are some improvements that would make it more enjoyable (and have finally started in small ways). People seem to be liking it all the same which is a positive.

I think in their case Early Access was okay as it led to many player-created levels, feedback, and build some community prior to its 'official' launch (which has been delayed a bit, apparently). It's a smaller game, too.

Whereas for NMS I'm not sure they would have wanted it to be lumped in with all the other stuck-in-perpetual-development and various junkware-level games that Greenlight/EA seems to often produce, even if some are immensely popular. It was being promoted and sold less under the typical indie game umbrella and more like a regularly priced game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom