• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its core community is quite small and has stayed with it since the beginning but many of them believe the controls are fine and basically explain away critiques with the need to get better at it. They're experts at it which I think is fantastic but I feel it's like an echo chamber at times.

I've been playing a bit of Monster Hunter Generations on my 3DS. One of the quest givers says "I know some people will just tell you to 'git gud,' but that's a terrible suggestion! Who even listens to those people anyway?"

There is a fine line between "steep learning curve" and "needlessly complicated but you get used to it because you have no other choice."

Tizoc

Wanna know what's funny? Had No Man's Sky STAYED a PS4 exclusive, it would've had more a lot more defenders. Let that sink in for a while and apply this to GAF.

Cth

Seriously tho they should have just released the game in Steam early access a few years ago for 20$. There would have never been any stupid expectations nor would there have been any crazy confusion. They would have been just as successful selling many copies and could have released it in full by now for the 60$ or wtvr.

This entire thing just turned out to be a failed experiment with console gaming's mass marketing and crazy hype machine. Hopefully other developers in the future who plan to make these type of games learned a lesson from this whole thing and don't make the same mistake.

It wouldn't have worked. By that time, all the planets would be named, people would have seen all the Lets Plays that the audience wouldn't have expanded.

The problem, as I see it, they had a small staff and a dedicated PR person would have gone a long way to managing expectations or reminding them that they said something 2 years ago that would be brought up at launch as a solid promise.

Either way, the game's still fun for me, so I dunno. That's the problem you have when an indy studio gets a big push without any help with PR.

Nobody remembers MirrorMoon in which you got to name the planets that you discovered. No hype, nothing.

A few of us in the regular NMS threads have mentioned it multiple times.

Ludens

Banned
New FFXV trailer and some scenes look really rough :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLy8LD8P9uc
FFXIII looks better than this.
I'm getting FFXV on PS4 because I'm paying 30€ for it thanks to the awesome preorder offer by Unieuro (basic price 40€, plus a discount of 10€ I own) and when I'm done, hopefully within a month from release, I will trade it back to GS for 40€ if they do their usual offer for new games... but I expect absolutely nothing out of it. I'm buying it only because it's a FF and I'm able to play it for free, considering GS gives you 30€ back at least for new releases. I'll take the PC Goty later if the game is good to play all DLCs they announced.

madjoki

The flag was just applied to unreleased apps and is removed automagically upon release. Unreleased games weren't shareable even with a release state override, so my only guess is that dev subs in particular acted differently.

Could be also related to recent Steam update that displays if a game is not family shareable.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Bureau XCOM Declassified -- MB-B07B572738D5BD7D - Taken by Foolia

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
8pTSVjV.gif

Seriously tho they should have just released the game in Steam early access a few years ago for 20$. There would have never been any stupid expectations nor would there have been any crazy confusion. They would have been just as successful selling many copies and could have released it in full by now for the 60$ or wtvr.

This entire thing just turned out to be a failed experiment with console gaming's mass marketing and crazy hype machine. Hopefully other developers in the future who plan to make these type of games learned a lesson from this whole thing and don't make the same mistake.

It's sold a lot.

That's what devs will learn, sadly

yuraya

It wouldn't have worked. By that time, all the planets would be named, people would have seen all the Lets Plays that the audience wouldn't have expanded.

The problem, as I see it, they had a small staff and a dedicated PR person would have gone a long way to managing expectations or reminding them that they said something 2 years ago that would be brought up at launch as a solid promise.

Either way, the game's still fun for me, so I dunno. That's the problem you have when an indy studio gets a big push without any help with PR.

But there is 18 quintillion planets.

How can people name them all?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (William Bonney, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

INSIDE -- MB-9C046192BB89B2F2 - Taken by Ludens
LIMBO -- MB-A06C47A4EDB67B5B - Taken by Lashley

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Durante's GOTY -- MB-19C68E237CB8E7E9 - Taken by MMBosstones86. 26 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Durante's GOTY was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1471021580z1.png

KingKong

I havent played it yet as I am PC only, but that looks like exactly what the streams I have watched are...maybe less animals in one place and the flying close to the planet but for the most part that looks like what the game is.

I'd love to see that kind of planet with those kinds of animals with that behavior (wandering in mobs, crashing through trees, even standing in shallow water). The basics are there but all the actual parts seem to have been completely scripted

Forgot the counter there did we?
Always pREVIew before making a giveaway ;P

I did. I thought no command was an hour for some reason. I realized it before I dropped it, but was too lazy to fix it, so I just dropped a warning.

I prefer the shorter raffles anyway, gives the people present a better shot at winning.

Shit.. shit shit shit!

I accidentally clicked an image from a direct chat. Turns out it's directed to **badsite**, a phishing site according to my brief google search. My antivirus blocked it so I didn't actually downloaded the file, but I'm not sure if I'm already safe. Therefore, I changed my steam and email passwords. I have the steam guard app activated.

What can I do further to ensure my account's safety?

Edit: He's just sent me another one:

Sarcasm

Shit.. shit shit shit!

I accidentally clicked an image from a direct chat. Turns out it's directed to **badsite**, a phishing site according to my brief google search. My antivirus blocked it so I didn't actually downloaded the file, but I'm not sure if I'm already safe. Therefore, I changed my steam and email passwords. I have the steam guard app activated.

malware bytes
adwcleaner
JRT

Lomax

There's just something about that genre that makes developers think they can make a game that does everything. Anyone who doesn't look at promises like they made with some scepticism hasn't paid attention to the last 25 years of gaming. Hell, we were having this debate in this thread years ago about No Man's Sky before the Playstation version was even announced.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait Quantum Break is ACTUALLY coming to Steam, you guys werent just making Win10 store jokes?

I'm still on the fence with No Man's Sky, so I'll be coming in here for some first impressions.

I somehow managed to time being home while my daughter naps so my wife can get out with the release time.

Really wish there was a preload, but I should be able to get some time in before heading back to work.

voodooray

Shit.. shit shit shit!

Didn't your steam insert a redirect link first? You shouldn't have gone straight to the site. Or did you also click the link steam displayed in your browser?

You probably should block and report them.

Phawx

Hey guys, Idlemaster hasn't produced any cards for me in awhile, (I haven't been keeping up with this thread) has something changed with idleing? Or is it just that it's outdated now?

Hey guys, Idlemaster hasn't produced any cards for me in awhile, (I haven't been keeping up with this thread) has something changed with idleing? Or is it just that it's outdated now?

It still works for me. It takes at least 2 hours before I start getting cards for a game though, I assume because of the refund rules.

Shit.. shit shit shit!

Youarealreadydead.jpg

But jokes aside, you should be safe if you didn't actually download anything, and assuming that your browser is up-to-date (and that there are no 0-day exploits, which are, however, unlikely to be used to steal Steam accounts). Looking at the file under Linux (downloads as 'image41.scr'), it is simply a Windows screensaver, so you'd have to open it to execute it after downloading it, as it is basically just a .exe file.

But it never hurts to run a "deep" (or the equivalent) virus scan. Also, you should of course enable Steam guard, if you haven't already.

if you've refunded anything then cards will drop after 2 hours of game time (if you haven't then it should be the normal no delay)...some games just have the drop rate set to a very long time

Idlemaster still works...used it this past week

It still works. I've had games take 10 hours to drop a single card.

all this hype talk is nonsense. do you guys not remember the E3 trailers? they showed a game that simply doesnt exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

I forgot about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom