• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is this like a opening the floods type deal, or its just because its a Remedy game, and not a first party game?

Ill assume the later

malware bytes
adwcleaner
JRT

Thanks, I did everything. They did find something but I don't think they're related to that.

Didn't your steam insert a redirect link first? You shouldn't have gone straight to the site. Or did you also click the link steam displayed in your browser?

You probably should block and report them.

No, there wasn't any warning page. The link redirected me straight to my browser and attempted to download the file.

I've contacted him, and apparently he's also a victim.

Ucchedavāda;213379347 said:
Youarealreadydead.jpg

But jokes aside, you should be safe if you didn't actually download anything, and assuming that your browser is up-to-date (and that there are no 0-day exploits, which are, however, unlikely to be used to steal Steam accounts). Looking at the file under Linux (downloads as 'image41.scr'), it is simply a Windows screensaver, so you'd have to open it to execute it after downloading it, as it is basically just a .exe file.

But it never hurts to run a "deep" (or the equivalent) virus scan. Also, you should of course enable Steam guard, if you haven't already.

I hope you're right.

Well, I've done everything I can, here's hoping.

yuraya

so is this like a opening the floods type deal, or its just because its a Remedy game, and not a first party game?

Ill assume the later

5 months exclusive to win10 store.

I'm guessing the same will happen with Recore and Scalebound.

We already know Dead Rising 4 is 3 months exclusive.

The big question is the first party stuff. If they sell like shit then I'm guessing MS will also release Gears n others on Steam. If its selling like shit on Win10 then its not gonna all of a sudden start selling well later. They have no reason not to do it. Putting them on Steam makes financial sense.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Found one of these at the grocery store seems to work well!
Nf2wygll.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hope if it sells better on Steam (not hard) Remedy makes it public lol

Knurek

I hope if it sells better on Steam (not hard) Remedy makes it public lol

It's being published by Microsoft (yes, even on Steam), so they have, like, negative one thousand reasons to share the fact that it will sell better on Steam than on their store.

I never could get audio to work through my Xbox controller with headphones and a wireless Xbox adapter. Is it not possible or have I just been doing it wrong? :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
How's the compatibility ?
What about the audio ? Does it carry in the controller ?
And the bumpers ?

Seems okay so far just tested it with Sayonara Umihara Kawase, DMC4: SE, and Metal Gear Rising on the final boss.
I plugged in my headphones into it and it doesn't appear to do anything.
What about them?

Seems okay so far just tested it with Sayonara Umihara Kawase, DMC4: SE, and Metal Gear Rising on the final boss.
I plugged in my headphones into it and it doesn't appear to do anything.
What about them?

I'm using Audio Technica M40Xs... dunno if that has anything to do with it or if I need to mess with default audio devices in sound settings.

might have to switch your Playback Device to hear the audio

mine is listed as Headphones (USB Audio Device)

Amzin

It kind of bugs me that Jay Wilson is known as "Diablo 3 guy" considering that game was god awful until he left, and then suddenly it got better every single patch.

He should be known as "Release Diablo 3 guy" so it's an insult and a title at the same time.

Backlogger

Those NMS review scores lol. I posted in the thread but probably not going back since its just going to devolve into "saw that from a mile away" / "the game isn't for everyone" and generally people trying to convince each other why they should hate or love the game.

I'm still going to buy it though, after initial PC impressions come through. Am I making a mistake?

Nzyme32

PSU in for repairs / replacement. Should have it turned around before DX MD. For now, back to the slow arse laptop - but Win7, which is so pleasant

I'm still on the fence with No Man's Sky, so I'll be coming in here for some first impressions.

I played the game for about 7hrs total with a friend on PS4 and she intends to sell hers and I cancelled my pre-order. I definitely adore exploration games, but NMS is a painful monotony of grinding and discovery that doesn't inspire or emote. I posted my thoughts earlier:

"I pre-ordered the game on Steam going by the assumption that I could use the 2 hour period to understand if the game was for me (when these exploration heavy games are something I usually adore), and if I found it wasn't engaging enough I could just refund.

However, after watching several hours of different streams yesterday and getting to have a little "coop" fun with a friend and her PS4 version today, I've come to two main conclusions. I would need more that 2 hours to progress far enough to reach a real conclusion if I was playing on my own, and secondly that the "survival" grind is just far too obnoxious that I think I would likely get frustrated at the amount of time needed to really enjoy exploration and "progression". There is also a severe lack of what I would describe as "moments" that really drive how I would "progress", explore, gain insight and fascination for the worlds and the game; something I feel I'd gain from the experience if that makes sense. That is something I think I have found in other games with lots of exploration that I love, but not NMS. Both of us felt the same way, which is disappointing after several hours now. The actual fun was more the usual banter between friends rather than the game.

I've decided to cancel my pre-order since the 2hr thing isn't really going to help, and even if the game does change things up after 10+hrs, it sadly isn't enough to draw me in, along with the crafting survival crap."

Grief.exe

Those NMS review scores lol. I posted in the thread but probably not going back since its just going to devolve into "saw that from a mile away" / "the game isn't for everyone" and generally people trying to convince each other why they should hate or love the game.

I'm still going to buy it though, after initial PC impressions come through. Am I making a mistake?

Mod Steve Youngblood actually had a good post on why review threads tend to devolve into trash pits on GAF.

I've long felt that reviews threads tend to be among the worst that this site has to offer. But I don't necessarily think I'd single it out for "ambitious games." It really happens for practically any noteworthy release. Unless it's the case of a long-hyped game delivering near unanimous praise or a long troubled game arriving with near universal criticism, there's pretty much a guarantee of fireworks. And the problem -- no matter the result -- is often the same thing: people go into reviews threads not to be informed or try to understand a prevailing critical consensus, but to seek validation on their preconceived notion of the game. Often the worst participants are people who are already convinced that this is either their Game of the Year or overhyped trash prior to even playing it.

And this isn't a Good vs. Evil conflict. All of the following are problematic:

- Cherrypicking good reviews as the real voices worth listening to.
- Cherrypicking bad reviews as the real voices worth listening to.
- Discrediting good reviews because the reviewer is not trustworthy.
- Discrediting bad reviews because the reviewer is not trustworthy.

Basically, no one side's fanboys are more righteous than the other.

Seems like some of the same conclusions I was coming to by just quickly browsing through impressions and footage. My problem with the gameplay loop is how is this sustained long term? If there are enough upgrades that I can continually upgrading as I move thoughout the galaxy I can look past some of the 'monotonous' gameplay elements.

The Eurogamer review is particualy interesting, as I think I could find value in exploring the universe and taking interesting screenshots of unique locales. It would just seem quite relaxing to become absorbed in the soundtrack experience of jumping planet to planet.

With much of the No Man's Sky's structure having apparently been added in the final month of development, that's not so surprising. (The patch notes are eye-opening; mere weeks ago, this was half the game it is now.) There is tremendous room for it to grow and improve. As it stands, it's flawed but completely intoxicating, a unique work of engineering art to lose yourself in. Sean Murray and his team at Hello Games set out with one goal: to create a game that is science fiction. Mission accomplished.

Corpekata

Banned
Not sure I'd take the "both sides" stance on review threads. The positive toward a game camp is almost always the more irrational as they have money invested. You don't see sites being DDOSed because someone gave a game a positive review.

cyba89

Still excited to play NMS in half an hour. Going in mostly blind. screw the haters B)

Also
The Witness is still really awesome the second time around. Quite a feat for a puzzle game. Still my GOTY 2016.

Teeth

Not sure I'd take the "both sides" stance on review threads. The positive toward a game camp is almost always the more irrational as they have money invested. You don't see sites being DDOSed because someone gave a game a positive review.

Gone Home, Cibele, DmC, Depression Quest, et al

EDIT: hell, even Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Could be also related to recent Steam update that displays if a game is not family shareable.

I doubt it's a bug. That beta update was two days ago; pre-release apps began having the flag applied a week-and-a-half ago and it's still happening.

Edit: If you mean that Valve began rolling out the flag because the prompt requires it to be present, then, yeah, quite possibly.

Wok

I will go in, but not blindly because I read spoilers and stuff. I prefer to know what the end goal really is before going for a grind.

I have seen some screenshots you people would not believe. I have also laughed out loud watching hostile animals like this one.

ArjanN

The NMS threads seem mostly filled with people desperately trying to make the facts fit their preconceived notion of the game being good or bad. Most review threads are like that of course, especially for games with some controversy surrounding them, but NMS is a pretty extreme example.

Just had my weekly occurrence of my Oculus headset entering my field of view and me going "oh right, I have one of those, I should check and see if there's anything new or decent worth playing on it..."

Yeah... nope. Maybe this holiday season we'll get some new stuff?

Backlogger

My problem with the gameplay loop is how is this sustained long term? If there are enough upgrades that I can continually upgrading as I move thoughout the galaxy I can look past some of the 'monotonous' gameplay elements.

I shouldn't put too much stock in this but I am also curious to see what they do in future updates as well. I hate that people keep comparing it to Minecraft so I can't believe I'm doing this but Minecraft today has so many more features and things to do than the original version. So hopefully this can become a game for the ages but there is no guarantee it will.

If the game ends up bombing in terms of the users dropping it after a couple of months I probably can't expect to get very many major updates to the game.

fallout

Gone Home, Cibele, DmC, Depression Quest, et al

EDIT: hell, even Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3
I'd say giving negative reviews tends to illicit stronger reactions on average, but yeah, there are plenty of examples where simply going against the grain is enough to stir up the nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom