• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRaider

Who would've thought the most overhyped game in recent memory would be bad? Not I, not at all.

$20 early access.

It only shows how bad can hype be... for the 10000th time.
I am not saying that NMS is bad game, i will have to try it first then decide, maybe mediocre is better word to use?

Wok

The game works like a charm.

In-game settings:
Window Mode: Borderless
Monitor: Primary
Resolution: 1920x1080
V-Sync: Off
Anti Aliasing: SSSA x 4
FoV (both): 90
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
Texture Detail: High
Shadow Detail: Medium
Generation Detail: High
Reflection Quality: Low
Max FPS: Max

Tips, Tricks & Tweaks:

• - To make changes to Graphics Options you have to hold down the mouse button to confirm. *
  • - For Stuttering, make sure to disable V-Sync and remove the 30FPS Cap.
  • - Force Anisotropic Filtering to x16 into your graphics control panel
  • - Set the game to Borderless Window (might help with alt+tab issues)

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
I regret buying the game for 60 and requested a refund...but the game doesn't deserve those Steam reviews...

Next summer sale I give it a try :)

Must be a good thing that Mankind Divided isn't overhyped huh :V
Well I know what I'm getting with that one. NMS was sold on hype and people asking "what do you do" were shit on for months.

Mediocre may be better for some but I really think it is bad. Played my friend's copy.

def sim

The game works like a charm.

So, is it really just in-game vsync causing the stuttering? I feel like the NMS performance thread isn't the most reliable right now, but there have been several people saying this is the case.

It looks like they just pushed a patch fixing the launch issues for some people, as well?

Wok

So, is it really just in-game vsync causing the stuttering? I feel like the NMS performance thread isn't the most reliable right now, but there have been several people saying this is the case.

It looks like they just pushed a patch fixing the launch issues for some people, as well?

Grief was definitely right on that one. Vsync + max framelock.

Dat "Mostly Negative" tag out of almost 2,000 reviews. It surpassed Bad Rats.

Bad Rats actually has 79% positive reviews .. but it's probably mostly joke reviews.
On the other hand, NMS having 29% positive reviews with more than 2,000 reviews is not exactly a good showing either, no matter how you slice it. Another way to look at it is that The Slaughtering Grounds has 34% positive reviews out of more than 2,000. It's still doing better than Day One: Garry's Incident, though, which is at 19% positive reviews out of more than 2,000.

I expected the game to not live up to the hype. I did not expect it to explode on the launch pad.

I feel like the goat in the Goat Simulator promo art for the Weekend Deal is looking smug at the No Mans Sky Now Available banner.

I am probably just crazy though.

I have been playing Faeria lately. That's a good game. Yeah it's got some similar elements to MtG and Hearthstone but, the boardgame mechanics are great. Reminds me of Dungeon Dice monsters.

yuraya

Grow Up will be the best reviewed game of the month.

Ubisoft will be victorious.

Speaking of which its supposed to release on the 16th and still no store page.

Poor BUD :(

def sim

People in 2016 using in game vsync.

It's interesting how many people there are that think enabling vsync through the driver is too much work.

There's something to be said about having a game be plug and play, the folks at NMS should definitely get it to that state, but the fix is not any real work on the user's end.

I haven't played NMS and wasn't on the hype train either because the game didn't really catch my interest, but thinking back to the videos I saw and reading impressions now, it seems to have turned out pretty much how I thought it would. I'm guessing that a mix of devs overpromissing and people creating unreasonable expectations is creating a disproportionate backlash.

Benedict

I'm changing phones from iPhone to an android.
What should I do regarding Steam Authorisation and for Diablo so they work on my android phone?
Remove app or do something in the app before removing them?

Jawmuncher

I'm changing phones from iPhone to an android.
What should I do regarding Steam Authorisation and for Diablo so they work on my android phone?
Remove app or do something in the app before removing them?

My iPhone died recently and I got a Android. I just downloaded the steam app and was asked to verify the new device through a text. I think it's more a issue if yout number changes.

Kaleinc

Banned
Not everyone can rune games at a solid 60ps so we lock to 30? Nvidia control panel and rivatuner don't always work for some reason.
This may be a silly question, but what do you use instead of vsync if you want to avoid tearing? (other than a gsync monitor)
First of all screen tearing becomes a real issue at 60++ fps for 60 Hz monitors (in most cases).

Bless Microsoft for windows desktop composition - that's the best vsync you can get if application supports windowed mode, preferably borderless fullscreen.
Or cap fps via driver.

ᶰᵒ ᵐᵃᶰˢ ˢᵏʸ ᶦˢ ᵏᶦᶰᵈ ᵒᶠ ᵇᵃᵈ ᵍᵘʸˢ, ᵐᶦᵍʰᵗ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵍᵉᵗ ᵃ ʳᵉᶠᵘᶰᵈ⋅⋅⋅

Grief.exe

I feel bad for Hello Games right now, since they are a very small team who turned around a new release in a relatively short development time on two platforms they are unfamiliar with.

In many ways, they are a victim of their own hype. The game itself is targeting a relatively niche demographic on top of a small, self-funded team. Due to the extreme hype, they are now being put under a mainstream-influenced magnifying glass. The game, and the team, would have truly benefited from smaller release, where they could have iterated from there and grown purely from word of mouth.

Something to keep in mind in this situation, this is a small team that is entirely self-funded. They can little afford to just throw an arbitrary amount of development resources at the project, like many AAA games designed to target the mainstream audience.

Salsa

I feel bad for Hello Games right now, since they are a very small team who turned around a new release in a relatively short development time on two platforms they are unfamiliar with.

In many ways, they are a victim of their own hype. The game itself is targeting a relatively niche demographic on top of a small, self-funded team. Due to the extreme hype, they are now being put under a mainstream-influenced magnifying glass. The game, and the team, would have truly benefited from smaller release, where they could have iterated from there and grown purely from word of mouth.

Something to keep in mind in this situation, this is a small team that is entirely self-funded. They can little afford to just throw an arbitrary amount of development resources at the project, like many AAA games designed to target the mainstream audience.

I mean kinda

no one to blame but themselves in how they molyneux-ed their own game

biggest issue I have with NMS is the stutter/hitching that happens...no crashes at all for me so far

if the stutter/hitching gets sorted out then I'll be ok...hopefully with patches/new drivers it does...I am surprised that NVIDIA didn't have a new GameReady driver out today since they did use NMS in their promo stuff for their 10 Series cards and Ansel

ArjanN

Ucchedavāda;213408399 said:
Bad Rats actually has 79% positive reviews .. but it's probably mostly joke reviews.
On the other hand, NMS having 29% positive reviews with more than 2,000 reviews is not exactly a good showing either, no matter how you slice it. Another way to look at it is that The Slaughtering Grounds has 34% positive reviews out of more than 2,000. It's still doing better than Day One: Garry's Incident, though, which is at 19% positive reviews out of more than 2,000.

I expected the game to not live up to the hype. I did not expect it to explode on the launch pad.

Steam reviews don't mean much either way. I mean I doubt everyone here bought bad rats because of the good reviews.

I mean kinda

no one to blame but themselves in how they molyneux-ed their own game

Honestly I'd assign the majority of the blame on dumb people with unrealistic expectations.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GOD DAMN! Steam user reviews are eviscerating NMS :O

I Bought This Game Specifically So I Could Have A One In A Million Chance Of Seeing Another User And Not Interacting With Them But Just Seeing Them Anyway I Paid $60 And Now Since Sean "Liar" Sean The Only Guy Who Made This Game Openly Came Out As A Liar I Refunded It!!! It's About Ethics And He Does Not Have Any!!!

chronomac

I Bought This Game Specifically So I Could Have A One In A Million Chance Of Seeing Another User And Not Interacting With Them But Just Seeing Them Anyway I Paid $60 And Now Since Sean "Liar" Sean The Only Guy Who Made This Game Openly Came Out As A Liar I Refunded It!!! It's About Ethics And He Does Not Have Any!!!

Will this fit in the thread title?

Oki-doki. Played around 1,5hrs No Man's Sky. My impressions so far.

- Learning by doing. Everything is alien and I don't mean the lifeforms. UI, elements, crafting, it all takes time until you figure out what is important and how the flow of the game works.
- Inventory management. There's so much to collect but only so little space in your and the ships inventory. But it's fun to juggle items.
- Upgrading, crafting and fueling of various systems (life-support, propulsion etc.) makes for a fun time... so far!
- The galaxy map is incredible. I actually giggled while flying through dozens of stars. It's really awesome but I need to get to gripes with the controls and UI there as well.
- Flying in hyperspace mode :eek: :eek: :eek:
- Textures are a bit muddy and the planet looks same throughout. Hope they're gonna patch their algorithm for more variety on each planet.
- Technically, I thought the options were broken since none seemed to change upon clicking. Stupidly enough you have to hold the click. Stupid.
- But after that, smooth sailing. 60fps at 1080p, no stutters. Might bump resolution up to 1440p later.
- Game crashed once right when I found a space station and I lost 45mins of progress :mad: No manual save for all I can tell only upon entering/exiting ship which is a very stupid choice.

All in all, I already lost myself in the game. It's fascinating to wander around, scanning for useful elements, finding alien life-form, running away from sentinels (no clue what aggros them?!), crafting and upgrading, and of course flying through space. Very early still but so far it delivers exactly what I was hoping for. The lack of a traditional story is evident, especially at the beginning. There's a feeling of being lost. Will take some time I'd wager to really get around the flow of the game. Didn't have any space combat for now, only with a tiny sentinel. Gonna go back to it later.

Kaleinc

Banned
biggest issue I have with NMS is the stutter/hitching that happens...no crashes at all for me so far

if the stutter/hitching gets sorted out then I'll be ok...hopefully with patches/new drivers it does...I am surprised that NVIDIA didn't have a new GameReady driver out today since they did use NvidiaMustStutter in their promo stuff for their 10 Series cards and Ansel
ojVg0rd.png

:D

Grief.exe

I also found this point somewhat ironic as it's one of the least important aspects of the game that suddenly turns into wildfire when thrown to the internet hordes.

I can guarantee that feature was cut due to development restrictions relatively recently (within the last 12-18 months). Hello Games likely came to a crossroads on how to devote development resources and had to make tough decisions.

Sony's marketing contract prevents them from actively discussing the game outside of pre-approved margins. This is alluded to in Sean's AMA having to be tight-lipped due contractual obligations.

Forums find out, pound this, arguably, inconsequential feature into the dirt. Now we arrive at the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom