• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the NMS performance thread:

I wonder, could it be a Steam overlay issue? There have been games that react badly to it, though generally it's older stuff.

Haven't played it myself, but I've definitely come across Steam games that have overlay issues.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pretty key piece cut out of that quote though

I completely agree though, it should have been communicated to players.

I highly doubt completely missing features are in the contract for their own version. The potential blow back of a title advertising online play vs not having it, is a serious case of false advertisement. Adding on, that is something I can't recall a single Sony title doing in the past. It had more to do with discussing the PC version which been quite common with both MS and Sony exclusives, which there is a history of. This team also did something similar with the Joe Danger situation. One with Sony, One with MS.

This isn't a ball that should be passed to Sony.

They probably told him to shut the fuck, similar to when Directors of films getting smacked by negative reviewers come out and all they are doing is making the situation worse. Not to mentioning, this company had the PC version out today. More word gets out that it is a stinker, the worse it will do. The director having a meltdown online isn't going to help the situation.

Ascheroth

In other news, I've just finished Higurashi Chapter 1 - Onikakushi.

Damn great read, despite me having watched the anime some time ago and therefore still remembering some of the events.
Got legit chills at times, and the end was just pure intensity.
The after-story extra was pretty amusing, though.

Seems like I really prefer straight VNs to Telltale-style games. I've still only completed 3 episodes of Tales from the Borderlands. (And just looking it up, apparently I started with that one at the end of December o_O)

Phinor

Maybe it got an update in-between, maybe the default settings have vsync off and max frame-rate unlimited. Honestly, I have a low end PC and the game runs smoothly with settings set from medium to high.

People did not make that much noise when The Witness was released and had these weird shadows everywhere. From what I have seen, NMS is pretty okay if we except the vsync setting which is a trap.

My GoG version of NMS is a horrible stuttering mess regardless of vsync setting (or any other setting). It's just luck of the draw at this point.

Windows 10 with latest updates, 3570k@4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3, GTX 1080, installed on an SSD.

Cth

Ucchedavāda;213408399 said:
Bad Rats actually has 79% positive reviews .. but it's probably mostly joke reviews.
On the other hand, NMS having 29% positive reviews with more than 2,000 reviews is not exactly a good showing either, no matter how you slice it. Another way to look at it is that The Slaughtering Grounds has 34% positive reviews out of more than 2,000. It's still doing better than Day One: Garry's Incident, though, which is at 19% positive reviews out of more than 2,000.

I expected the game to not live up to the hype. I did not expect it to explode on the launch pad.

This is veering into tinfoil territory, buuuuuuut..

There were a LOT of angry 4channers who were planning on buying the game, posting a negative review and then requesting a refund.. and then going to buy it from GOG/pirate it because they had a DRM free version or something?

This is why I stick with console releases for the day 1 stuff and double dip when it's cheap on PC.

They should have made a press release before the game came out clarifying everything tho. Even if they come clean now people already paid 60$

To be fair, he did get on Twitter and say not to expect ANY multiplayer, which, of course is being heralded at lying of the highest order.

No matter what, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Lvl15 in ff14, from my understanding im 5 lvls away from getting a chocobo.

Please be excited

tumblr_m8mp39LctP1r696k4o1_500.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
It just means you redeemed a CD key that was probably public and someone else tried to after you and hit the button that appears that I forget the name of.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
No, someone just tried to redeem a code you already redeemed.

It just means you redeemed a CD key that was probably public and someone else tried to after you and hit the button that appears that I forget the name of.

I wouldn't be concerned if you have 2 factor authentication enabled. I've received these from time to time over the years.

Hmm, not sure what it could be from? A giveaway maybe?

Nzyme32

Hmm, not sure what it could be from? A giveaway maybe?

I also just received this one 13 minutes ago. Won a giveaway on Steamgifts, might be related ?

Yeah, things like this can be a problem. Doesn't mean it is something you have done. Could be that the original person from a giveaway accidentally tried to giveaway the same key so some other guy entered it and Steam and you get bumped.

Bought HITMAN™ Full Experience™ on PC even though I already own the first 3 episodes on PS4, it's hard going back to that version now that I have 1070, that shit is Rough with a capital R.

In term of concurrent playerbase, No Man's Sky is the biggest Steam launch of the year with 212k concurrent players. It is "at least 46% more than what was achieved by every other 2016 release at launch"
pcgamer said:
Here are the peak concurrent players for some major games that released on Steam this year:
  • XCOM 2 133,022
  • Dark Souls 3 129,975
  • Total War: Warhammer 113,019
  • Starbound 62,301 (after leaving Early Access)
  • Doom 44,271
  • Hitman 12,582

And the all-time highs of breakout, surprise hits from 2016:

• Stellaris 68,602
  • Stardew Valley 64,632
  • Factorio 16,281
  • RimWorld 15,063

And the all-time highs of other, longer-standing popular games that aren’t Dota 2 or CS:GO:

• Rocket League 103,129 (during a free weekend)
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 92,267
  • ARK: Survival Evolved 84,961 (during a free weekend)
  • Rust 64,982

All concurrent players figures via steamdb.info, which compiles Steam Stats data.
Every Man's Sky confirmed?

In term of concurrent playerbase, No Man's Sky is the biggest Steam launch of the year with 212k concurrent players. It is "at least 46% more than what was achieved by every other 2016 release at launch"

Every Man's Sky confirmed?

Fascinating, yet ironic at the same time if we look at the user reviews.

It means lots of people pre-ordered it with a belief that the game will be running just fine.

However, apparently GOG version is fine? That could be easily patched if true.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I also just received this one 13 minutes ago. Won a giveaway on Steamgifts, might be related ?

yes, this is what happens if someone redeems a key that you have already redeemed and then clicks the wrong button. the feature is designed so that if you have two accounts, you can jog your memory about the second one--but in practice it's just bazillions of false positive emails from giveaways.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Should I be worried?

RYidJ0Y.png

I got worried the first time I received one of these. It's just a Steam feature that allows anyone who enters a used key to send a mail to the Steam account that actually redeemed it. I guess it's useful when you have multiple Steam accounts and you don't know where you redeemed a key.

oipic

Steam 'reviews' are broken.

The NMS 'reviews' on Steam are akin to GAF requiring a thumbs-up/thumbs-down with each post in the PC Performance thread, then tallying those to determine a game's position in the GOTY awards.

What's being scored here, though? The 'game' itself (after merely minutes of playtime in many cases), or the technical proficiency and compatibility of said title just hours after launch?

I'm not for a moment suggesting rough launches, lack of testing, shitty optimisation, poor compatibility etc is to be excused, but I'm not sure why so many are so hell bent on needing to hit the 'review' button so quickly and impatiently. Instant gratification societal crap coupled with a 'look at me' culture, I suppose.

Pakkidis

Decided to play Mafia 2 and discovered there is no invert Y for the controller option.....seriously....what the hell is this? Does anybody know of any mod or tweak to fix this?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Decided to play Mafia 2 and discovered there is no invert Y for the controller option.....seriously....what the hell is this? Does anybody know of any mod or tweak to fix this?

Steam controller :)

Guardian

Banned
I think I should probably wait till someone get a review copy of Deus Ex before purchasing it on GMG or something. When will review embargo be lifted? before the game come out I hope. Kinda disappointed after this No Man's Sky launch.

Uzzy

I think I should probably wait till someone get a review copy of Deus Ex before purchasing it on GMG or something. When will review embargo be lifted? before the game come out I hope. Kinda disappointed after this No Man's Sky launch.

The embargo is lifted on the 19th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom