• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
I also found this point somewhat ironic as it's one of the least important aspects of the game that suddenly turns into wildfire when thrown to the internet hordes.

I can guarantee that feature was cut due to development restrictions relatively recently (within the last 12-18 months). Hello Games likely came to a crossroads on how to devote development resources and had to make tough decisions.

Sony's marketing contract prevents them from actively discussing the game outside of pre-approved margins. This is alluded to in Sean's AMA having to be tight-lipped due contractual obligations.

Forums find out, pound this, arguably, inconsequential feature into the dirt. Now we arrive at the present.

I mean, he repeatedly told everyone that it was a feature, and he didn't stop doing it in the last 12-18 months. He said such things were in as recently as like 3 months ago.

Ascheroth

There are 7 different NMS threads on one page. Damn.

Honestly I completely missed the buzz around that game.
I think I only had a vague idea that it was something with procedural generation and my first reaction when it was referenced in the current thread title was essentially "Ah yeah, I heard that name somewhere." lol.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well Canabalt on Steam is no good for me. For some reason the game wants to always move left for option selection, no matter of it's in game settings or choosing a stage, always moving left and not giving me the choice to do anything.

Two player is quite the mess as randomly the controls for Player 1 can make Player 2 jump and vice versa.

Objects randomly appear out of nowhere. Lot of deaths that way.

Not fun.

Grief.exe

I mean, he repeatedly told everyone that it was a feature, and he didn't stop doing it in the last 12-18 months. He said such things were in as recently as like 3 months ago.

It's possible he was too optimistic about the team having the ability and resources to finish the feature. That would pull up the time scale on when the decision was made.

This game should make for a very, very interesting post-mortem if we ever get one.

Salsa

It's possible he was too optimistic about the team having the ability and resources to finish the feature. That would pull up the time scale on when the decision was made.

This game should make for a very, very interesting post-mortem if we ever get one.

that's what I mean by Molyneux-ing tho

I dont think anyone is trying to lie when they say that sorta stuff they most likely fully believe it

lesson learned

Grief.exe

I dont think anyone is trying to lie when they say that sorta stuff they most likely fully believe it

lesson learned

I see what you mean by saying that.

I would tend to give these guys the benefit of the doubt due to inexperience, where are Molyneux has the experience, he's just delusional.

lesson learned

They should have made a press release before the game came out clarifying everything tho. Even if they come clean now people already paid 60$

Grief.exe

Also, just as full disclosure, I'm not going to be purchasing this game anytime soon. So my defence of Hello Games is not attributed to any monetary bias.

They should have made a press release before the game came out clarifying everything tho. Even if they come clean now people already paid 60$

Likely prevented by Sony.

Played around 1,5hrs No Man's Sky.

- Game crashed once right when I found a space station and I lost 45mins of progress :mad: No manual save for all I can tell only upon entering/exiting ship which is a very stupid choice.

For this to happen less than 90 minutes in...that's pretty distressing. Can you give us an update on crashes after about 10 hours? We want to see if it's regular bad...or Fallout New Vegas bad.

Teeth

I like how this video showed up when I tried to get some examples lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4

Holy shit, I just watched this whole video and there really isn't a single lie in it.

The only one that comes close is Fallout 3 having over 200 endings...which it probably does have some minor variations that would add up to that many, but in essence there's a lot less. Everything else is 100% true.

I'm playing through Skyrim for the first time right now and everything he says is true. It doesn't mean it's amazing, but it's all true. All the voiced lines, all the individual objects, the fact that you can go anywhere, climb to the top of that mountain. There really is an infinite number of quests, as the game will just generate meaningless kill jobs at runtime, but they are there (and it's not like Skyrim is starved for content as it is). All of the dungeons ARE handcrafted, you can easily tell. They are using bespoke chunks and mixing and matching them, but by the very fact that literally every dungeon loops back on itself so you don't have to trudge all the way back out shows that there was a designer at work.

A lot of the other stuff is just taken out of context - I'm sure the "it just works" statement was about some internal system, not the whole game. The "NPCs aren't scripted" is within context of what users generally find in more linear games -- they townspeople will react to dragons when they come, breaking their pathing, they will react to being attacked and break pathing, they will maneuvre around each other breaking pathing; there's no such thing as a non-scripted element in a video game. Everything runs on algorithms. What he's referring to is the broader array of reactionary elements that NPCs have based on situational awareness.

Bethesda games aren't generally amazing (except from a production standpoint) but what he says is basically true.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
NMS is hot garbage and I'm glad it's out so people can finally criticize the game without being persecuted. The fandom this mediocre game has had is ridiculous. When I put down $60, I don't care how many people made the game. I only care that it's worth $60.

MadGear

I might be done with SFV. Matchmaking got super slow for me lately, there are still plenty of rage quitters left and Juri isn't hyping me as much as I was hoping for. Even watching AiAi play her does nothing for me. Oh well, I managed to hit Platinum with Alex but tbh I failed to maintain that rank. However I think that I improved as a player and I actually did better than I expected.

The question now is, do I go back to DotA2? I never wanted to touch that game ever again but I need my competitive fix. I'm still occasionally playing Quake Live but I don't intend to pick this up "seriously" again until after Quake Champions is out and hopefully revives that genre again ... at least for a bit.

Wok

biggest issue I have with NMS is the stutter/hitching that happens...no crashes at all for me so far

if the stutter/hitching gets sorted out then I'll be ok...hopefully with patches/new drivers it does...I am surprised that NVIDIA didn't have a new GameReady driver out today since they did use NMS in their promo stuff for their 10 Series cards and Ansel

For what it is worth, I have a G2020 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and 1 GB VRAM AMD Radeon HD 7770. The game runs like a charm (no stuttering, no pop-in, very rare framerate drops) with the settings that I have given here.

No crash of the game, I can alt+tab, I feel bad for all the crap people are putting on Hello Games' shoulders when the devs definitely have done a good job optimizing the game for my low-performance config. If the game is not interesting for some people, okay, but this backlash based on the performance is undeserved.

Grief.exe

I might be done with SFV. Matchmaking got super slow for me lately, there are still plenty of rage quitters left and Juri isn't hyping me as much as I was hoping for. Even watching AiAi play her does nothing for me. Oh well, I managed to hit Platinum with Alex but tbh I failed to maintain that rank. However I think that I improved as a player and I actually did better than I expected.

The question now is, do I go back to DotA2? I never wanted to touch that game ever again but I need my competitive fix. I'm still occasionally playing Quake Live but I don't intend to pick this up "seriously" again until after Quake Champions is out and hopefully revives that genre again ... at least for a bit.

Check out Paragon and let me know how it is.

Did you see that Kickstarter for Diabotical?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Breaking News: Watch Dogs 2 to be made by a small team you should feel really bad for when it doesn't meet expectations.

In a related story: your $60 is still missing.

Tizoc

Having FINALLY gotten Deadly Premonition to run properly for me, gotta say I am loving it.
Got to my 2nd combat area and the plot thickens even more.
York is a great protag and all the wackiness is reminiscent of Kojima.
Only more fun.
Case in point
44FB7846174AA19062D73308015157E42AE81502

FD266F1AB748F693E401E11B1408125140F1725B

AHA-Lambda

I mean kinda

no one to blame but themselves in how they molyneux-ed their own game

Yeah, this is partly my feeling on it.

I'd also say people should have kept their hype in check, but when has that ever happened? It was clear ages ago that this was going to be basically just another survival game.

Hello Games and Sony will make mad bank out of this, but they'll need to seriously rethink strategy moving forward, I don't think Hello Games can even think of attempting a sequel frankly.

Ascheroth

Having FINALLY gotten Deadly Premonition to run properly for me, gotta say I am loving it.
Only more fun.
Case in point

Deadly Premonition was sooo good.
It just oozes atmosphere.

cyba89

Played NMS for 2 hours and I'm enjoying my time with it so far. Everything is still pretty fascinating in the beginning when you first explore the planet, then launch into space discovering other planets and a while later open the galaxy map and see how huge it is. But I doubt it can maintain the amount of these moments over a longer playtime.

So my first impressions are positive so far but I wasn't crazy overhyped about the game before. Just wanted a cool space exploration adventure and the game is delivering on that end so far. While the graphics can be a bit muddy sometimes the overall design is pretty good and can create some beautyful vistas. I like the sound design too.

After 2 hours I'm pretty sure what the whole gameplay loop is. Now it is to see how it can motivate me over 20-30 hours.

but as everyone knows I'm biased because I invested 50€ into it. :p

Teeth

Yeah, this is partly my feeling on it.

I'd also say people should have kept their hype in check, but when has that ever happened? It was clear ages ago that this was going to be basically just another survival game.

Hello Games and Sony will make mad bank out of this, but they'll need to seriously rethink strategy moving forward, I don't think Hello Games can even think of attempting a sequel frankly.

This whole situation is baffling.

A) if you could see your friends, would the game all of a sudden be leaps and bounds better?
B) How does one blame the developers for overselling their game when the biggest question that existed before the game came out was "what do you do?"
C) Why do people feel the need to be SO FUCKING RIGHT that NMS is a HORRIBLE PIECE OF TRASH GAME when there are clearly people enjoying themselves?

I haven't played NMS, I don't plan to play it any time soon, and I was nearly 100% correct in assuming what the game would be and be like about 60 seconds after it was announced, but I honestly can't believe the reaction it's getting. Scares the shit out of me, really.

The worst part of RimWorld are the raids. I simply cannot keep up with the escalation, since I've never really made a killbox. I always overplan buildings and end up with a huge backlog of construction work that delays everything else, ultimately ending with a ruined colony when someone breaks from the mess, or a wound, because of an ill-timed raid.
I've played 15 hours of RimWorld in three days.... and the day's not over yet
Only more fun.
Case in point
Good to hear. It is a remarkable game, in spite of all its problems.
tumblr_mcaa4vlp5p1qbpyypo1_400.gif

pictured above: character

Now, fun fact: before the Witcher 3 made it cool, Deadly Premonition featured dynamic facial hair growth.

Tizoc

One odd odd thing though in Deadly Premonition:
There are light reflecting off of character's faces. Hell even the doctor's face had light reflecting off of it.
What's causing this? I am using DPFix btw.

BashNasty

Quick question about download speeds.

For the past 3 months or so, my Steam downloads will not go above 12MB/s. Obviously that's not a a bad speed, but it's a good deal slower than the average of 15MB/s that I used to get. It's weird too, because the download is always hovering right around 12MB/s, typically 11.8/9, so it's clear that something is capping it off. I've checked my Steam preferences, and the downloads are not set to have any cap.

Anyone ever experience this before? Anything I can do to fix it? I'm on 100mb Comcast internet in Chicago if that makes any difference.

MadGear

Check out Paragon and let me know how it is.

Did you see that Kickstarter for Diabotical?

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Paragon. A friend of mine wasn't too excited about it when he played it during one of the very early beta events but I might give it a shot myself.

And no, I didn't see that Kickstarter. I'm checking it out right now.

chronomac

For the past 3 months or so, my Steam downloads will not go above 12MB/s. Obviously that's not a a bad speed, but it's a good deal slower than the average of 15MB/s that I used to get. It's weird too, because the download is always hovering right around 12MB/s, typically 11.8/9, so it's clear that something is capping it off. I've checked my Steam preferences, and the downloads are not set to have any cap.

Try a different download location.

Saty

Hello Games likely came to a crossroads on how to devote development resources and had to make tough decisions.

What they also had to do but didn't is inform people these features won't be in the 1.0 version of the game. What they had to do is stop being vague about the game - they were more than comfortable selling the game based on players' imaginations than what No Man's Sky actually does or doesn't.

Grief.exe

What they also had to do but didn't is inform people these features won't be in the 1.0 version of the game. What they had to do is stop being vague about the game - they were more than comfortable selling the game based on players' imaginations than what No Man's Sky actually does or doesn't.

Pretty key piece cut out of that quote though

Sony's marketing contract prevents them from actively discussing the game outside of pre-approved margins. This is alluded to in Sean's AMA having to be tight-lipped due contractual obligations.

I completely agree though, it should have been communicated to players.

Purkake4

Banned
It is amazing, it is hard, and... achievements are not yet working. I recommend this game.
Maybe a good comparison would be Crusader Kings 2 events with none of the rest of the game.

Sometimes you marry a princess, sometimes a merchant asks for a charter, sometimes you eat a mushroom and your dog makes you play Saw in the dungeons, sometimes you make a deal with Death to read gibberish for 15 years.

Saty

Pretty key piece cut out of that quote though

I completely agree though, it should have been communicated to players.

Doesn't make sense to prevent a message that would save player outrage on launch day and actually manage expectations in a game that was screaming for it since day 1. Why would Sony want to maintain a situation that's guaranteed to cause severe backlash?

And if they did, then maybe that's the point when Murray and Hello Games take a stand and do the right thing.

Grief.exe

Doesn't make sense to prevent a message that would save player outrage on launch day and actually manage expectations in a game that was screaming for it since day 1. Why would Sony want to maintain a situation that's guaranteed to cause severe backlash?

I can't speculate on that, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Sony was keeping them very tight lipped through their contract.

And if they did, then maybe that's the point when Murray and Hello Games take a stand and do the right thing.

It would be the right thing, but that would also leave them open to a dangerous amount of litigation.

Afro

From the NMS performance thread:

I shit you not guys, I bought the steam version and it was a stuttering mess, I put through a refund and then just out of pure curiosity after reading a post saying the gog version runs fine I went and purchased the gog version...

But here's the thing, the gog version has no stuttering, no joke, I am deadly serious, I haven't had one hitch.

JarrodL

Pretty key piece cut out of that quote though:

Wouldn't that be, like, extremely shady if true? I mean, it smells of false advertising if Sony doesn't allow a developer to let the potential buyers (and people who pre-ordered the game) know that previously advertised features won't make it into the final release.

Also, there's that series of tweets Sean made in response to the initial questions about MP not working, which seemed to suggest the features should in fact be in the game and were not working temporarily because of server issues. If he knew the features were not in fact in the game at the time, this ... does not look good?

Wok

Maybe it got an update in-between, maybe the default settings have vsync off and max frame-rate unlimited. Honestly, I have a low end PC and the game runs smoothly with settings set from medium to high.

People did not make that much noise when The Witness was released and had these weird shadows everywhere. From what I have seen, NMS is pretty okay if we except the vsync setting which is a trap.

Grief.exe

Would be crazy if these performance issues came down to something as simple as Steam overlay injection.

Wouldn't that be, like, extremely shady if true? I mean, it smells of false advertising if Sony doesn't allow a developer to let the potential buyers (and people who pre-ordered the game) know that previously advertised features won't make it into the final release.

Also, there's that series of tweets Sean made in response to the initial questions about MP not working, which seemed to suggest the features should in fact be in the game and were not working temporarily because of server issues. If he knew the features were not in fact in the game at the time, this ... does not look good?

Those responses are one of the reasons I came to that conclusion. He seems like he is actively dodging the question.

From a team that was so tight lipped by their contract that they couldn't even mention the PC version until the PS4 version was essentially released, that leaves me circumspect.

This AMA response from Sean should be telling, but these contractual obligations are fairly common. Since Sony is completely funding the marketing of the game, I have a feeling they have extreme control over what is presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom