• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Two hours left until the Official (Unofficial) Humble Modbot Turd Bundle Limited Edition. I'm getting excited! Are you getting excited?!

Another garbage dump of unclaimed modbot keys? This'll be fun.

This one is a little different and much more exciting!!!

Two hours left until the Official (Unofficial) Humble Modbot Turd Bundle Limited Edition. I'm getting excited! Are you getting excited?!

what about the Ultra Official (Unofficial) Humble Modbot Turd Bundle Arcade Edition: Version 2016?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

c2v-8ghH4iFZ0OzvoeF7_B6rKJCYSuWMSkRvOVZ-XjHoI6ucbWhinRDdSKUGQ9Tzs6PTzLN4cD9YkHj_LeErI1RBPyGgb9l-QHUSTqFnNG2pSE1QNp3TMlVsPGRtBm0G6WYvowqCTXhYtiHUkrY9So4Xw1ZzQhVSqm_UXeJJ3-3qTq4fi1SFV10Tno7QpkwFJg=w310-h281-nc

Yesterday I finally found the opportunity to give No Man's Sky a proper go and man, it got me hooked. Have 11hrs clocked in already. Thankfully there were no more crashes, no more lost progress. Playing the game, I found my way around how the save system works now as well. Anyway, many seem to have technical issues which is a shame regardless of the nature of the tech behind it. I for sure would have held off playing until proper performance on my end was established. Thankfully it is already :p
The start was rough for me. I always want no hand-holding from games but when I do get a game like that, I get utterly lost for hours. So it was with NMS. I spent around 9 hours strolling around my starting planet, looting all kinds of stuff until I noticed that I was in the "story mode" which has a thread leading you towards the center of the galaxy slowly but steadily. After noticing the blue hint box on the HUD serving this goal, I started making more progress. Unlocking (I assume) essential blueprints and mechanics.
Either way, I still had tons of fun exploring the few planets I have been on so far. The starting place was a rocky and ugly place which I now realize I've spent more hours than I should have as the second planet was a colorful and lush paradise in comparison. Much more wildlife, grass fields all across interrupted only by lakes. Gorgeous! It was here where the flow of the game started clicking more and more. It goes like this. You scan your near vicinity and all manner of material icons pop up with the real interesting places like outpost etc. and ancient alien monoliths which teach you each a single word of a single alien race. And it's not like a few of those will suffice, oh no. I have rummaged the area for hours and learned over 50 words which still at best let me understand half a sentence. It sounds repetitive - and it can be - but the immersion of exploration and finding new interesting things along the way made it a really fun time sink throughout.
While walking around and scanning the area, I ended up finding a non-natural construction, an outpost of some sort. Inside it were loot and a blueprint. These are either for crafting new materials or upgrades. Outside was a search station which marks a site of interest, shelter, monoliths, outposts, manufacturing facilities etc. These spots are all of unique interest, whether it's loot, blueprints, knowledge or upgrade parts but they are for the most part looking the same throughout. A shelter will always look the same as will an outpost. This is where repetition can set in more clearly. Thankfully I have naturally avoided such a sense by varying the tasks I did and the planets on which I did them. I still want to go back right at it and research planets, learn more languages, buy better stuff. And I haven't even "unlocked" space fights and I assume some other things.
All in all, this game feels like Minecraft at times but also a walking sim, a dog fighter, a trading sim, a survival game at others. What makes the combination of so many genres work, is that it all feels cohesive, balanced and highly polished to me for the most part. Was expecting lots of glitches but it has been the odd sentinel clipping through a tree so far only. I'm constantly impressed at how smooth everything works, every aspect slides right into another and how atmospheric the world universe-building is (not the universe generation but the lore and atmosphere!). This game won't be for anyone, heck I'm shocked this managed to break out of the niche which it's undefined genre-mix is. Well, seeing the massive media presence pull done by Sony I shouldn't be.
A fascinating ride of bewilderment and exploration, ticking all the right boxes and creating many I wasn't expecting. I'm getting a child-like feeling of finding and learning new stuff at every corner.

It's not perfect. A ginormous universe is a statistical achievement which won't mean that much to me in the end, as I'd be surprised to set foot on more than a hundred planets honestly. Planets sorely lack biomes and different climates which is a weird omission. Copy-paste structures designed by the devs will get only less interesting as time passes and a randomly generating mechanism on settlements and structures would have been heartily appreciated. Ground combat is passable with variety in ammunition but so far not much in enemy variation. No matter what could have been better, what is here is marvelous, unique and immensely enjoyable.
--
For those wondering what my specs are that it runs well: i5 4690, MSI 970, 16GB DDR3, SSD. Playing at 1440p/60 with zero issues. Definitely high-end but people with similar or better hardware seem to have problems, so I have no clue what the reason could be.

Tizoc

I remember Durante said the game will start crashing after a while and you need to reboot to get it to work again and he can't actually figure out why
I say we start a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign tk raise money so durante would get his hand on the game's source code and make not just a good pc port but a respectible current gen+nx port as well

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Well that's my Deus Ex pre-order up shit's creek

Random £30 charge from Amazon? Had to email them, ffs

Anteater

someone disable CA, the stupid poop vignette and NMS would be my goty

I say we start a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign tk raise money so durante would get his hand on the game's source code and make not just a good pc port but a respectible current gen+nx port as well

I hope they do atelier first :p

Grief.exe

Nice immpressions Veggie, seems like you're having a good time. Will be cool to check back in when they've added some more dynamic elements like building factories and controlling large frigates.

Can you turn off the chromatic aberration and whatever filter is being used?

6JIhSQx.png

Well that's my Deus Ex pre-order up shit's creek

Random £30 charge from Amazon? Had to email them, ffs

Seems like a minor mistake and a non-issue after the quick turnaround Amazon is known for.

asked on Facebook if the Mankind Divided keys from Games Republic include the bonuses...will wait and see if they respond

$45 from GMG is a good price but if I can spend $36 and get the same thing that would be better

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xheRJRF.gif
Postal 2 -- MB-7C401622134F7C0E - Taken by Delicious Waffles. 1 entrants total.

t1471192612z1.png

Here are some short impressions of the steam games i´ve been playing recently:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: Pretty decent "metroidvania" , at least for now the game is better than risky's revenge so that´s good because i didn´t like that one, not being able to play in windowed mode in a decent resolution it´s a little annoying though.

The Hurricane of the Varstray -Collateral hazard-: Fun shoot em up , WAY easier than most of the other shoot em ups out there because i don´t die after taking only 1 hit, that´s actually very good for me because im terrible at this type of games, i really liked this one so i recommend getting it on the next sale.

Montaro: A little endless runner about a dog that does things like collect coins and steal panties to recover health, not very good honestly but for that price i guess is fine.

UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Amazing fighting game with some very interesting mechanics and characters, i would have liked that those mechanics would have appear in some kind of tutorial instead of having to read a wiki to understand them though, the netcode worked fine for me ,i played against people of my same country without major issues ( only some random disconnects but nothing that important ).

Blade Arcus from Shining: Battle Arena : TERRIBLE , i really want a refund but i got it as a gift so i can´t , the gameplay feels too stiff, the artwork looked good but those 3d models look like they came from a PS1 game and the netcode is bad.

That´s pretty much it , just wanted to post something since i haven´t posted anything in months :p .

Tizoc

Hmmm Okay I'll GIVE Megalovania (Undertale) credit, it's a good theme but the circumstances to have it play are...something I would NEVER do if I ever play it again. In fact seeing as it only plays in the
Genocide route
is what makes it feel out of place.

I still maintain that Asgore is the better Boss theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ
DETERMINATION TO THE MAX!

WHAT

we still love you zoidberg

Over here in the middle east we get console games a week or 2 early, at best. Breaking street date is common practice over here :V
Matter of fact gonna go hit up my shop in about an hour to grab KoF 14. If he has Deus Ex MD...well I COULD play it using Remote Play.

I didn't know you were in the middle east, Tizoc.

Turd Bundle comes! I wonder if Stump will have a bunch of users pre buy it to fix the average higher than normal.

no turd zone
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cave Story Plus -- MB-1F3D47CE5B5F89A5 - Taken by Ascheroth. 3 entrants total.

t1471195094z1.png

Anteater

oh shit I've found a shittier fps than killzone 2, it's called battlefield 3

Over here in the middle east we get console games a week or 2 early, at best. Breaking street date is common practice over here :V
Matter of fact gonna go hit up my shop in about an hour to grab KoF 14. If he has Deus Ex MD...well I COULD play it using Remote Play.

shit post how well it runs tomorrow!

shockdude

Hmmm Okay I'll GIVE Megalovania (Undertale) credit, it's a good theme but the circumstances to have it play are...something I would NEVER do if I ever play it again. In fact seeing as it only plays in the
Genocide route
is what makes it feel out of place.

I still maintain that Asgore is the better Boss theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ
DETERMINATION TO THE MAX!
I actually think that Asgore's Theme is the best track on the entire Undertale soundtrack.
I don't know, I liked Hopes and Dreams the best I think, but it's obviously a tough call. Asgore's Theme is really good too though. I like this remixed version of it a lot.
Nah, Dogsong is the way to go.

In all seriousness, I'm a fan of this boss theme (
Battle Against a True Hero
) that, like Megalovania, requires the "special circumstances"
Genocide route
to hear. The plot buildup leading up to that fight was really good, too.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Bundle over! Thanks for claiming!

QJzlb4b.png

Bundle Contents

ModBot has over 3,500 old keys that were never claimed. Most of these will not work. Either they were a botched giveaway attempt, they were given away again later, they were not real keys, etc. But some of them will surely be real, and you never know what you're going to get.

Each Humble ModBot Turd Bundle will come with 20 to 50 unused ModBot keys. Feel free to try to activate these keys, give them to friends, ignore them entirely, but whatever you do DO NOT put them back in ModBot or offer them in thread. These are your garbage, and you will dispose of them privately!

According to ModBot, there are at least 10, and as many as 50 copies of the following games:
t1cxE6r.gif
Teleglitch, Thomas Was Alone, SpaceChem, Metro 2033, BioShock, Little Inferno, VVVVVV, Fez, Frozen Synapse, Risk of Rain, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Hero of the Kingdom, Monaco, Tiny and Big, Hitman: Codename 47, Limbo, Fortix 2

xheRJRF.gif
Gun Monkeys, Vanguard Princess, Rush Bros, Evolve Alpha Codes (???), Worms Pinball, Commando Jack, Gish

... and a whole lot more!​

What does it cost and how do I buy it?
Only a private message to your friend ModBot! Send a PM with the words trigger removed, all the games have been claimed, sorry, bundle is over! in the title and wait your turn. If you get in, you'll hear back from ModBot real quick-like. P.S. Claiming this bundle does not count as winning games for other ModBot giveaways, so this is guilt-free!​

I want to support a charity
Donate to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, who are a team of lawyers, policy analysts, and writers fighting to protect privacy, fair use, and other digital rights against intrusion by governments around the world.​

I want to give money to the developers
Here's a Bitcoin address that will pay ModBot's server bills (but seriously, you don't need to do this!): 1JcNb5j1eQDdw3S4EnvqzroAYtx7mV9x4e​

I am broke but want to contribute
Two things you can do to contribute are to give away your spare games with ModBot or to draw ModBot fan art! But also you probably wouldn't be broke if you weren't buying Dota 2 compendium stuff!​

Are there any rules for this bundle?
Limit one per customer!​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom