• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Typical open world ubisoft game full of pointless activities and collectibles and also full of RPG elements that weren't balanced at all. It locks typical FPS activities like cooking grenades behind a pointless XP and level up system because people like filling bars and feeling like they're accomplishing stuff even though it's just unlocking shit you already start with in every other FPS ever.

If you think about the aspect of cooking grenades, it makes sense that would be a skill that he picks up through experience.

Seems plausible at least. You aren't just going to know how long to hold a grenade before it goes off, you have to learn that over the course of using a bunch of them.

didamangi

Open up, sure, like go off to the side for 2 seconds and/or explore a swamp with an arbitrary time limit by way of gas masks. The game holds your hands and removes the controls enough/ makes you follow npc's and takes gameplay out of the equation so much is stupid.

I love the series and you won't find a larger advocate of Stalker and Metro style games, but Last Light was pretty bad.

So is Metro 2033 less linear than LL? (I haven't played the first game yet)

Still asking for opinions about Shadowrun Returns.

This was my Steam review of the game:

First of all, I never played the boardgame or the SNES game before I tried Shadowrun Returns. I guess this is important because some people say it doesn't have that old-school appeal. However, I can tell you this is an amazing game with great storytelling and some of the coolest atmospheres I've ever seen in a game. Basically it's noir fiction set in a cyberpunk multiracial world (elves, humans, dwarves, orks, trolls) where magic and technology are used everyday.

The gameplay is very flexible: in many missions you can choose a team and you can include hackers, drone masters, berserkers, spirit summoners... so if you want, you can go and shoot all the enemies with your team members, or you can send some drones and spirits to do the dirty job. The character progression is decent: everytime you accomplish an objective you win some points that you can use to upgrade your skills. In my gameplay I had an sniper shaman with a decent amount of healh points and some basic mage skills, so as you can see you can have any combination you want.

The main flaw is the checkpoint/save system: you can only save after you finish a mission (and it's an automatic save). In average, each of the missions can last from 20 to 40 minutes, so it can be pretty frustrating to die in the middle of a battle and have to repeat all over again. Apparently, this issue is going to be fixed by the developers with the release of the new campaign next year (2014). Also, you could find some minor bugs in the game. For example, I had to repeat a battle because at end of it there was a conversation and suddenly it stopped and I couldn't advance to the next mission.

Finally, you have to take into account that the game has Steam Workshop support! There are some projects with new campaigns. For example, some people are trying to bring back the original Shadowrun SNES campaign. I haven't tried them yet because I'm waiting for the finished version. However, I believe the user-generated content will increase the value of the game in the medium/long term.

KarmaCow

If you think about the aspect of cooking grenades, it makes sense that would be a skill that he picks up through experience.

Seems plausible at least. You aren't just going to know how long to hold a grenade before it goes off, you have to learn that over the course of using a bunch of them.

Yea, you could also learn that by actually doing it instead of it being locked by a meter.

Tizoc

Yes there has been a ton of deals in the past for the Darksiders franchise. A couple that come to mind are the Humble THQ Bundle and the various deals on Amazon DVG that Tony has had for Darksiders games. Better deals than this for sure, but then again, there is no guarantee that we will see more deals like those for the game. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Well since the X-Mas sale is going to feature the same deals I might hold off on getting Darksiders 1 atm.

How many days are we into this? There's half a page of people telling you the sitch and another half that give the all clear.

And no, for everyone's sake it's probably better they not advertise prices they're not actually immediately readily available for.

But they don't actually ring up as the front page price. Nevermind..this is dumb.

The_Monk

Thank you for the impressions. The save system and the glitches have me worried a bit. Would you say the game is a worthy successor to the SNES/Genesis game?

I have no idea if there are still problems based on the glitches I mentioned since after I finished I delete it from my Library.

The Save system was one of the complains from the fans. My opinion, is that, if you don't have much time to game in longer sessions, play one mission at a time. That's what I did and it worked great.

Unfortunately I did not play the original game so I can't comment on that. The game felt shorter than what I was expecting considering its genre.

How's Darksiders 2 on PC? Have been considering getting it cheap on consoles but I might have to get it on Steam if it's a decent console port. Is the Season Pass worth it or is the extra content bad?

Also, curious for an opinion on Torchlight 2 from someone that felt the same as me on the first Torchlight. By the end of the first game I felt like I was really having to push myself to complete it. Does the second game change up quite a bit to make things feel more fresh? It's tough for me to say now what about the first I'd need changed to get me really interested in the sequel but I recall hearing about a lot of changes were made so perhaps most people that were tired of the first game loved the second?

So is Metro 2033 less linear than LL? (I haven't played the first game yet)

2033 feels less linear because the hallways themselves are about 3 times wider, and it rarely makes you follow and listen to an npc down a 3 ft wide hallway, which LL does so many times it's just crazy.

Plus what Lashope said below me, it's the COD linear vs 2033's HL linear.

Metro 2033 is incredible. It is pretty linear, but linear in the Half-Life 2 sense, and not on the COD way. There are still some areas where you can do some exploring. Fantastic game overall, and the closest thing we have to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. at the moment.

Dr Dogg

Yea, you could also learn that by actually doing it instead of it being locked by a meter.

Well you could say that about most rpg-like systems shoe horned into every flipping genre these days. Though you'd probably end up with a similar mess that TES has become.

Derrick01

Banned

From a story perspective it *might* make sense, although they never bother hinting at that in the game, but from a game perspective you and I both know that is being used as an excuse for them to put their typical bar filling crap in the game.

Blood Dragon for $5? Bought.

Is Fez ok on PC? I remember rumblings of it being a broken mess at times on 360 with Fish refusing to pony up Microsoft's "fuck you, pay me" tax on patching.

The 360 version has noticable framerate drops when you change areas, but that's mostly it I believe. IIRC, Polytron issued a patch to fix some generic issues (using Microsofts 'first patch is free' policy), but as a side effect this patch corrupted savefiles for a small part of the players (including me). Fish refused to patch this issue because of Microsoft's high patching costs. However, if you're playing for the first time now, there's no risk to patching, as you don't have progress to lose through a corrupted savefile.

KarmaCow

How's Darksiders 2 on PC? Have been considering getting it cheap on consoles but I might have to get it on Steam if it's a decent console port. Is the Season Pass worth it or is the extra content bad?

The port is kinda meh. It runs pretty well but it's plague by hitching and the UI itself is kinda shitty, even on a controller. On top of that the game will simply stop responding to inputs forcing you to quit and reload the save (though it does drop you off where you quit).

I haven't tried all the DLC but I do like the Crucible. It's challenge tower wave thing that's pure combat, which is where the game really shines.

Bought Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition for $9.99. Probably a mistake as I already have 3 versions of the original, but I figured for that price I'd give it a shot to check out the new content.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The port is rather average -- it has few graphics options and doesn't appear to use higher-res textures, but it looks nice enough all the same thanks to the rather unique visual style and runs well provided you don't crank up the shadow quality (the highest setting imposes a massive performance penalty and I couldn't detect even a modicum of difference between it and the penultimate setting). As for the Season Pass, I can't speak to it as I've not played the DLC myself, but I do intend to do a New Game+ run at some point to experience the content and, more to the point, complete The Crucible.

Since the launch of Origin EA has been changing the offers on Steam Sales and they keep getting worse and worse. You only need to see that Dead Space 2 at 7'5 € as a Flash Sale. I had to buy ME2 for almost 7 € on Summer Sales after it had been less than 5 on the Winter Sales of 2012.

What is Origin btw? I see a lot of giveaways on here with the Origin symbol on it and that always confused me. Is it EA's version of Steam or something?

I'm thinking about picking up ME2 off their website, but I'm not sure what getting the Origin version will do.

Typical open world ubisoft game full of pointless activities and collectibles and also full of RPG elements that weren't balanced at all. It locks typical FPS activities like cooking grenades behind a pointless XP and level up system because people like filling bars and feeling like they're accomplishing stuff even though it's just unlocking shit you already start with in every other FPS ever.

Ironically the game was supposed to be a meta-critic, commentary about these kind of stuff, but outside of the writer no one seemed to take it that way :lol

Arthea

Let me sum it up in one post
BNW is still too expensive, will wait for winter sale
Not sure do I want Torchlight II, I passed on it already many times, I had to have reasons, although I don't remember them now.
How bad is Godus? Oh wait 50%, scratch that, will leave it for later sales.
I think I have all other games. That means I buy nothing?

didamangi

2033 feels less linear because the hallways themselves are about 3 times wider, and it rarely makes you follow and listen to an npc down a 3 ft wide hallway, which LL does so many times it's just crazy.

Plus what Lashope said below me, it's the COD linear vs 2033's HL linear.

That HL comparison sold me, thx. Will probably play the game in between Valdis/Pinball FX2/State of Decay.

I think many people don't like the main character because he's seen as a rich "dudebro" if you know what I mean.

I found the game to be fun to explore. You can see many of the Assasins Creed influence: There's outposts to liberate (which you can be 100% stealth or guns-crazy) and you need to climb to some Tower Radios so the map can be updated with more quests.

You can do bounty-hunts, hunt animals and there's a decent variety of weapons to choose from. The main story was interesting enough for me and in the end you can have a choice on what to do based on a certain decision that I won't spoil you. I played on the PS3 back in the day, when I had it, which meant 30 FPS but I won't complain about that. If it helps, it was one of the very, very rare games that I did complete 100% (Platinum) and it was worth it for me.

The Multiplayer was fun but did not grabbed me for long. No idea how active it is on the PC version.

If there's a more direct question that you think I may help feel free to post it and I will try my best to answer you fellow GAFfer!

Alright it sounds like I'll enjoy it. I'm not that big on MP so idk if I'd actually play it unless someone here can confirm how active it still is.

If someone has a stackable coupon for Last Light that they don't want, I'll take it.

I want to bite on it, but sub-$10 would be clutch.
Plus, I still haven't started the first one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Payday for $13... *shakes head*

Come on Valve, Starbreeze: Match Amazon.

Slyjss

What is Origin btw? I see a lot of giveaways on here with the Origin symbol on it and that always confused me. Is it EA's version of Steam or something?

I'm thinking about picking up ME2 off their website, but I'm not sure what getting the Origin version will do.

It's basically a Steam-like client made by EA, yeah. They have also some games by other companies, but nothing even close to Steam. The games from EA are way cheaper there, since the base price is sometimes half the one on Steam. If you buy the game in Origin you can only play it on Origin, although some games bought on Steam can be redeemed on Origin.

legacyzero

Banned
Open up, sure, like go off to the side for 2 seconds and/or explore a swamp with an arbitrary time limit by way of gas masks. The game holds your hands and removes the controls enough/ makes you follow npc's and takes gameplay out of the equation so much it's stupid.

I love the series and you won't find a larger advocate of Stalker and Metro style games, but Last Light was pretty bad.

WAAY more than that, c'mon. This section was most impressive to me:

it0CR6ipUpwGc.png

There are many sections that you can just leave the beaten path and just explore, looking for items, lore, scenery to take in, etc. Metro does linear like it should be done. Not once did I feel like I was on rails, unless I was LITERALLY on rails.

This section was just one of the many to explore off of the main path:

And this one:

This one:

Also this:

This game has such HUGE open sections to walk around, variable paths, etc. Any why complain about the gas masks? That's the whole point of the game! I'd be pissed if the game didn't have them.

The_Monk

Alright it sounds like I'll enjoy it. I'm not that big on MP so idk if I'd actually play it unless someone here can confirm how active it still is.

Good to know, just let me know if you have any related questions.

EDIT: Why did you have to post those magnificent screenshots legacyzero you are not helping me, at all

Eklesp

Is Fez ok on PC? I remember rumblings of it being a broken mess at times on 360 with Fish refusing to pony up Microsoft's "fuck you, pay me" tax on patching.

When the PC version first came out, I had tons of problems with skipping and framerate issues. The last update resolved these problems for me, and it feels just as good as the 360 version.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a Payday 4-pack. Couldn't resist the $1.50 price per copy, and of the 3 friends I asked to share it, all said yes. Shame that the DLC isn't discounted too, I'll have to grab it come Winter Seal.

Payday is 90% off or €1.89.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24240/

Pricing error? And is it worth it, or just go for payday 2?

Probably not a pricing error.

In my experience of playing it about a month after Payday 2 came out, not really. There were some pretty high level dudes that I got in a match with, but it wasn't a totally great experience. If you have friends, maybe buy a 4 pack together and do it that way. Otherwise, get Payday 2. Or better yet, wait for winter sale for a better discount on Payday 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom