• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

What I find weird in modern game design is that lens flare, chromatic aberration, vignetting, stupid silly shallow DOF and HDR is seen as good things.

omg I don't care about those other stuff but I hate that stupid fucking vignetting filter, I mean what the fuck does the dark circles around the corner even do other than being a piece of shit circle that blocks the corners and make shit harder to see!?

balelosesit_a_gifsoup9wujx.gif

you just gave me a brilliant idea. i already have it, but he doesn't know that ;-)

"i dont know why santa didnt shrink wrap that one!"

LOL awesome :D.

I was going to remind you to ensure you delete any game saves from the cart but I've thought of an even better idea:

i/ delete any saves
ii/ create a 'Santa' Mii
iii/ play the game for awhile using this Mii
iv/ when they mention that the game already has been played by someone who looks like Santa, explain that Santa must have played it first to make sure it was good and that you would enjoy it as much as the Wii U game :p
v/ tell them the truth in about 20 years for mind blowing fun

D; He's so sloooow.

Back to bioshock and I just found Elizabeth, man this game looks so good.

Booze adds a lot of calories you know?

I posted earlier in the thread about it fellow GAFfer, let me know if I can help you with anything else:

<3

Blame Crytex. Either someone there is a rubbish photographer or really likes the effect. Crysis 2 was littered with the effect including the bloody UI.

To be frank, given the context (mc is wearing a visor) it sorta makes (more) sense even if it's ugly. ZombiU also abused it, that was where I really noticed it. I really don't know why it became a thing, this year it just exploded.

What I find weird in modern game design is that lens flare, chromatic aberration, vignetting, stupid silly shallow DOF and HDR is seen as good things.

yeah, the filmic guy from RAD even named them next-gen features lol

It just puts me off, I prefer cleaner, crisp looking visuals. This is also something I hope Valve won't catch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Which of the Darksiders II DLC are worth getting BTW?

I can't speak to the quality of the content, but in regard to additional levels/missions you want the Season Pass + Argul's Tomb + Death Rides.

Dr Dogg

Which of the Darksiders II DLC are worth getting BTW?

Avoid the weapons ones like the plague as they're pretty much rubbish after level 5. Abysmal Forge, Demon Lord Belial and Arguls Tomb add more content but the main game border me to tears that I never got round to them. If it was only 8-10 hours in length it would be a lot better but pushing 20 is really pushing things.

To be frank, given the context (mc is wearing a visor) it sorta makes (more) sense even if it's ugly. ZombiU also abused it, that was where I really noticed it. I really don't know why it became a thing, this year it just exploded.

Sure in that example it works in context (well I assume, I'm not Jordi La Forge so don't know what it would look like) but if Crytex are pimping it you just know everyone is looking to them as "leaders" in tech and innovation. So they abused the use of the effect and lots of devs have followed. Hence blame Crytek.

omg I don't care about those other stuff but I hate that stupid fucking vignetting filter, I mean what the fuck does the dark circles around the corner even do other than being a piece of shit circle that blocks the corners and make shit harder to see!?

balelosesit_a_gifsoup9wujx.gif

I agree 100%.

Killzone 2 would look so much better if I could use my entire screen instead of 85% of it.

JaseC

Tried to get Dragon Age: Origins from Nuuvem and got an 'it's not available in your region' error.

Yeah, some games are restricted to Brazilian customers. I think you can get around this by using a VPN (I'm not entirely certain but FlyVPN may offer free servers in Brazil).

Enco

Yeah, some games are restricted to Brazilian customers. I think you can get around this by using a VPN.
It's probably a sign I should stop buying stuff.

Lately I've turned into a collector.

I have a ton of games that I've hardly touched and I always go back to Dota. It's sad.

Games I bought recently:

Dishonored Brigmore Witches (currently playing)
The Wolf Among Us (actually finished)
Batman AC (played a bit)
State of Decay (80 minute playtime)
Never Winter Nights 2 (10 minute playtime roughly)
Jagged Alliance 2 (10 minute playtime)
Sword of the Stars (5 minute playtime)
Fez (lol. About 2 minutes playtime)
Riddick (not downloaded)
Euro Truck Sim 2 (not opened)

I have I problem. I thought I was above the usual PC GAF problems. I guess not.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The Wolf Among Us is goooood! Mighty impressive.
Very intriguing and an incredible atmosphere.
Might post a more detailed impression later. But it's really, really good. Needed to put that out there. :)

elhav

Payday 1 worth the 2 dollars? People still play it, or should I just wait for a better sale for the second game?
Might post a more detailed impression later. But it's really, really good. Needed to put that out there. :)
That's good to hear. Just makes me want to buy it more and more. But I have a million adventure games to play so I'll wait for another sale.

Shambles

Looks like I'll be waiting another year for Civ5 to offer a GOTY edition. Not that I really expected it this winter since BNW isn't that old yet.

The_Monk

Have you played The Walking Dead? I'll be happy to check your impressions in case you play them both. :)

nbthedude

Anyway to see what DLC friends have? I want to buy some Civ dlc for friends but when I select "Gold Upgrade" in cart it shows NONE of my friends having it, which I know isn't right.

JaseC

It's probably a sign I should stop buying stuff.

Lately I've turned into a collector.

I have a ton of games that I've hardly touched and I always go back to Dota. It's sad.

Games I bought recently:

Dishonored Brigmore Witches (currently playing)
The Wolf Among Us (actually finished)
Batman AC (played a bit)
State of Decay (80 minute playtime)
Fez (lol. About 2 minutes playtime)
Never Winter Nights 2 (10 minute playtime roughly)
Jagged Alliance 2 (10 minute playtime)
Sword of the Stars (5 minute playtime)
Riddick (not downloaded)
Euro Truck Sim 2 (not opened)

I have I problem. I thought I was above the usual PC GAF problems. I guess not.

ronan36rcc.jpg

Never stop buying stuff (within reason).

legacyzero

Banned
Thanks. I'll probably save my 2 dollars and watch any story segments on Youtube then.

Faction pack is worth is specifically for the one mission that comes with it.

You start off in a hub type room that is the "Safe Room" and you are tasked to go out into the city to find a list of certain artifacts, while facing dangers like the terrifying Librarians from the first game. It's entirely open, and you can only carry a certain number of these artifacts until you have to return to the safe room. Wash-Rinse-Repeat.

It's damn good. I think the whole game could have been something like that, TBH.

szaromir

Banned
Looks like I'll be waiting another year for Civ5 to offer a GOTY edition. Not that I really expected it this winter since BNW isn't that old yet.
There is a GOTY edition of CIv5... they just kept releasing new add-ons after that. Amazon had the gold edition + BNW bundle for $20, you should have picked it up.

myca77

Woot, Rocksmith 2014 on a flash sale, my wallet is now £100 lighter when you include a bunch of DLC and the original Rocksmith, DLC and the disc import tool.

Normally I don't like giving money to Ubisoft for historic reasons (u-Play and bad DRM in the past), but you know what I've been itching to get this title and learn some new songs and licks. Now I need to get the tubes in my amp replaced.

A little late to the party but yeah I couldn't believe my eyes when I first time played NFS: Most Wanted. Those cutscenes were something I really didn't expect lol.

Very nice map legacyzero! Shame I really don't quite like the Far Cry series - I almost loathe FC2 and find FC3 awfully average - quite decently made game but really no motivation to play with, especially when the characters and story are cringeworthy, gunplay is average at best and for open world games there are better ones to play around.

It's probably obvious but do I have any chance liking the first Far Cry? I see it has a 89 metacritic and remember it was pretty highly praised (though so is FC3 at least too). But yeah, probably I won't get much from the first game too as the whole core of Far Cry series doesn't click with me.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So i need an honest assessment on ass creed 4, hated 1, hated 3, didnt play 2 until this sale and I am enjoying 2 with the notable exception of the following:

a) distinct lack of actual assassinations
b) Jagged Parkour that isnt fluid
c) The horrible maze dungeons where you are directed poorly as to how to get from a to b
d) Going anywhere on horseback

I do however like the fighting, like the missions where I can assassinate people quietly and the upgrades.

Would I enjoy 4?

JaseC

This needs to be in the OP of every Steam thread.

I should probably point out that although, yes, that's Saoirse's face, I didn't make it. ;) I couldn't have done the job myself even if I wanted to, haha -- my image editing skills begin and end with resizing/cropping. I tried to give my avatar a santa hat yesterday (or was it the day before? I've sunk so much time into Black Flag that the past week or so is rather blurry) after Classy suggested hitting up the Chrismasify thread and it didn't quite go as well as I'd hoped.

I don't play basketball. I don't watch basketball. I haven't played any basketball video games other than the NBA Street series, which I liked a lot.

Should I buy NBA 2K14?

#steamsalequestions

Prophane33

Wow. Nuuvem has Europa Universalis IV Extreme for a little over $16. Cheaper than it's been elsewhere (lowest was 19.99 on Amazon for the regular edition). Hopefully this will work for non Brazilian customers. Going to try and buy it as its my most wanted game.

I don't play basketball. I don't watch basketball. I haven't played any basketball video games other than the NBA Street series, which I liked a lot.

Should I buy NBA 2K14?

#steamsalequestions

I'm personally waiting for 2K15, since 2K14 is a port of the 360 version. Then again I already own 2K13 so the decision is easy for me.

2K15 should be amazing if the PS4 version is anything to go by.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I guess my post wasn't clear. I was strictly referring to CSGO, not CS as a whole. I kinda thought each version has its own fanbase (like Counter Strike vs Source).

It's Counter-Strike, and the latest release.

Hmmmmm... Hard to see why people would buy it.

(Oh and some people actually think it's on par with 1.6, reason why it's being bought in droves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom