• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Well, the hidden deals/obscure games thread seems to be pretty much dead, so I guess I'll just ask about it here -- anyone have anything to say about Kairo?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's Counter-Strike, and the latest release.

Hmmmmm... Hard to see why people would buy it.

(Oh and some people actually think it's on par with 1.6, reason why it's being bought in droves)

I think it straddles a nice line between 1.6 and Source; needless to say I definitely prefer it to the latter.

I.. accept your mark JaseC.

I'll just have to learn to live with the burden of games I'll never touch.

Not a burden; an honour.

Sini

So I just got to the jungle for the first time in Spelunky. In the first five seconds of being in the Jungle my brain stopped working and I decided to inspect the tiki trap up close :(

Doing so requires a mod, but yes.

Edit: To clarify, despite the name it's not a mod in the traditional sense -- it's akin to ENB or SweetFX.
Thanks
Why is Chromatic Arberration a thing?

What I find weird in modern game design is that lens flare, chromatic aberration, vignetting, stupid silly shallow DOF and HDR is seen as good things.
These "artists" at these developers dont know what they are doing or they are trying to hide something. That is all I can conclude from these things.
ronan36rcc.jpg

Never stop buying stuff (within reason).
Amazing.

denx

I've been waiting for this Brave New World price drop.

Buuut I'll wait until tomorrow. I'm trying to do some Steambucks management and I want to see what are the games in the next couple of Flash deals.

Grief.exe

So i need an honest assessment on ass creed 4, hated 1, hated 3, didnt play 2 until this sale and I am enjoying 2 with the notable exception of the following:

Why did you even bother with 2 if you hated 1 & 3?

I have a feeling you won't like 2. The game lasts way to long, pads itself with horrible artificial lengthing, and the streamlined combat will wear thin quite quickly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hmm, should have waited instead of taking the plunge on Far Cry 3 on Amazon, got it for $7.50 but it would have been a bit cheaper in Reais on Steam now. Ah well, while I'm at it I might as well get the DLC and upgrade to the Deluxe edition.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Why did you even bother with 2 if you hated 1 & 3?

I have a feeling you won't like 2. The game lasts way to long, pads itself with horrible artificial lengthing, and the streamlined combat will wear thin quite quickly.

Because I was surrounded by people tleling me i played the bad Assassins creed games and should play 2 and brotherhood. to their credit 2 is much better than 1 and 3 so far, but it has alot of things I dislike.

JaseC

DOF can be nice. Somebody posted Stacking screenshots a week or two ago and I thought the DOF effect looked quite good precisely because DF didn't go with the one-size-fits-all "make everything super blurry regardless of the focal point/distance" approach.

That's awesome pic lo. Great work from honorless.

The day that I've waited has finally come! My friend delivered his old computer to me after two problematic months. We decided about the price like two months ago but there were some delays with the shipments of parts he needed to build his new gaming machine. And two weeks ago it was announced that the german store that he ordered the parts went bankrupt :/ Anyway my friend then ordered the parts from Finland (its more expensive here) and at last today I got his rig that he built few years ago.

0AhgI6b,DRvID3G

i5 prosessor
Radeon 4800 HD
two months old 128GB SSD (nice!) + 500GB HDD

It's amazing finally to have a machine that can play my whole steam library - now my laptop can stay as an indie machine.

Still I have a lot to do though before I can get somewhat good gaming experiences (and of course, at 2013 this PC is low-end already, yet a big upgrade that I've had ever) - I need to get a monitor that can show 1080p, a new mouse, a new keyboard, maybe a headset.. But it's wonderful - this is my first time using Windows 7 actually (*embarrassed*).

In past four months I've been buying 100+ games that didn't even run in my laptop so that pushed me finally to get a better PC. I actually would have gone build one myself (a beefier one too) if my friend hadn't had his rig on sale.

Edit: sitting here with 490 steam games, pretty overwhelmed what to install! I decided Football Manager 2014 is the first one, straight to SSD. It should benefit from quicker loading times.

KarmaCow

Because I was surrounded by people tleling me i played the bad Assassins creed games and should play 2 and brotherhood. to their credit 2 is much better than 1 and 3 so far, but it has alot of things I dislike.

I fell for that trap too and even bought Brotherhood after people said it was better than 2.

Colin.

If anyone is after a copy of Payday 2, I still have a spare from the Amazon 4 pack that you can have for the same rate ($7.50) Surprised the Steam price is so high in comparison.

Slyjss

Well, the hidden deals/obscure games thread seems to be pretty much dead, so I guess I'll just ask about it here -- anyone have anything to say about Kairo?

It's a strange game, and definitely not for everyone. If you can like a game mostly for its atmosphere you'll really enjoy it: you can just move through the stages looking at everything with your jaw dropped. The rest is difficult puzzles (you can get some help in-game) and trying to understand the rules of the world, which is more difficult than it sounds. Don't expect much about the story, there is something to get but the game could do without it.

KarmaCow

It's a strange game, and definitely not for everyone. If you can like a game mostly for its atmosphere you'll really enjoy it: you can just move through the stages looking at everything with your jaw dropped. The rest is difficult puzzles (you can get some help in-game) and trying to understand the rules of the world, which is more difficult than it sounds. Don't expect much about the story, there is something to get but the game could do without it.

Is it closer to Antichamber or Dear Esther?

So I just got to the jungle for the fist time in Spelunky. In the first five seconds of being in the Jungle my brain stopped working and I decided to inspect the tiki trap up close :(

LOL I've not played the game but it is apparent from your post that that wasn't such a good idea! If it makes you feel any better, I am prone to doing things like this too. FTL has been a catalogue of self ownage for me :).

These "artists" at these developers dont know what they are doing or they are trying to hide something. That is all I can conclude from these things.

I always assume that these dev fads are either to show off how fuck awesome they are [so they can add that to their C.V. for their next move to a new dev, given how staff movement in Western game development seems to be pretty frequent from all accounts] or it's so they can get away with something in a resource sense to then push a different graphical element e.g. moar particle effects!!11!!!

Knurek

Far Cry 3 is mine.
Skyrim is mine, Wizardry pack and Cherry Tree High Comedy Club.
Paid... uhh, 4 euro for both of them. Okay Gaben, I'm down with this 'trading cards' thingy,

pls moar foils

Slyjss

Is it closer to Antichamber or Dear Esther?

I guess that is closer to Antichamber. I haven't played it, but Kairo is full of puzzles and the importance of the story is close to zero, so I wouldn't compare it that much to Dear Esther. The style is also closer to Antichamber by what I look on the videos.

Prophane33

Woot! Buying EUIV: Extreme from Nuuvem worked. Great deal. Now I can wait patiently for the DLC to go on sale on steam in the near future. That along with F1 2012 were my most wanted games. Got them both today...sadly, no time to play them with two weeks of this semester left (and 30 pages of writing + grading 24 papers that needs to be done before then). Plus my Vita will arrive on Tuesday and my copy of Gran Turismo 6 will arrive on Friday...just can't win. Finally I have money to buy games, but no time to play them. Instead of plenty of time with no money.

Dr Dogg

holy shit that's pretty amazing

might have to do it

Well on one hand it seams like there are some troubles going on with development and especially feedback. Though on the other the port is being handled by Nixxes so if it is a cluster fuck, it will be the best damned cluster fuck it can be on pc.

JaseC

So i need an honest assessment on ass creed 4, hated 1, hated 3, didnt play 2 until this sale and I am enjoying 2 with the notable exception of the following:

a) distinct lack of actual assassinations
b) Jagged Parkour that isnt fluid
c) The horrible maze dungeons where you are directed poorly as to how to get from a to b
d) Going anywhere on horseback

I do however like the fighting, like the missions where I can assassinate people quietly and the upgrades.

Would I enjoy 4?

I don't think so:

A) Assassination missions are sporadic within the main mission line and while there are assassination contracts and templars to hunt, these secondary tasks aren't high in number
B) The free-running system received a makeover for the worst in 3 as it now assumes what you want to do rather than leaving certain interactions up to player input, so for instance you can find yourself being magnetically pulled towards a lift you don't want to use simply because you're holding down RT, and while Black Flag's system is less "sticky", traversal problems still do arise
C) Assassin tombs have been replaced with underwater dives in Black Flag, but as I'm a hopeless completionist I haven't progressed far enough into the main campaign to unlock the diving bell just yet, so no thoughts on those I'm afraid
D) There are no horses but there is a ton of sailing, and even when Travel Speed is engaged it can feel rather slow, though the fast travel system has been expanded to ease this concern (every locale and viewpoint can be fast-travelled to)

zkylon

zkylewd
Well on one hand it seams like there are some troubles going on with development and especially feedback. Though on the other the port is being handled by Nixxes so if it is a cluster fuck, it will be the best damned cluster fuck it can be on pc.

well if I payed less than 10 bucks I won't really mind all that much

I don't think so:

A) Assassination missions are sporadic within the main mission line and while there are assassination contracts and templars to hunt, these secondary tasks aren't high in number
B) The free-running system received a makeover for the worst in 3 as it now assumes what you want to do rather than leaving certain interactions up to player input, so for instance you can find yourself being magnetically pulled towards a lift you don't want to use simply because you're holding down RT, and while Black Flag's system is less "sticky", traversal problems still do arise
C) Assassin tombs have been replaced with underwater dives in Black Flag, but as I'm a hopeless completionist I haven't progressed far enough into the main campaign to unlock the diving bell just yet, so no thoughts on those I'm afraid
D) There are no horses but there is a ton of sailing, and even when Travel Speed is engaged it can feel rather slow, though the fast travel system has been expanded to ease this concern (every locale and viewpoint can be fast-travelled to)
you know it really sucks that ubi gone fucked up this franchise

Roto13

Those "maze" areas show you where to go with white cloths and birds. Also when you enter an area and the camera pans around the room.

JaseC

you know it really sucks that ubi gone fucked up this franchise

I've made peace with Ubi steering the franchise into the direction of an action-adventure kill-em-up masquerading as a stealth game. Desiring that the series return to the concepts abandoned in the move from the original game to the sequel is a lost cause, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd love to see it revisit large, sprawling cities, especially if the next entry is going to built from the ground up with only next-gen platforms in mind -- I want the locale variety of 2 with city sizes comparable to Brotherhood's Rome at the least, in part because I actually loved the tombs in the Ezio trilogy (3 has its own spin on them, but they're significantly smaller).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom