• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Like Dishonored and Bulletstorm, the fun to be found in Bioshock Infinite is from creating cool combinations with your powers. Make your own fun.

If you just run around killing everything with the Machine Gun, yeah, the gameplay sucks.

Unfortunately Bulletstorm ended up being one of the most underrated games of 2011. People clung on to the dick jokes but didn't give the gameplay the credit it deserved. Though it's a bit on the easy side unless you crank it up to very hard.

woa, I LOVE SteamGAF

oGqYpsD.png

weevles

Picked up TR:Survival because I enjoyed the game on PS3. I'm on the fence about Shadow Warrior...worth getting @$10? I will grab Rogue Legacy on the last day redux.

I'm not sure if it already was or if it going on a better sale, but Of Orcs and Men is a really good game.

Currently -66% at $10.

I'll probably do a full impressions post when the main thread is unlocked but I wanted to point out it's quite good before the sale ends.

Good combat with an interesting stealth mechanic. You play two characters, Styx, a goblin and an orc named Arkail. The orc is massive, and effectively a tank, the goblin is small and a stealth character. Each room you encounter generally is full of guards walking around on patrol. You can run in there and try to take them all on, or you can take control of Styx and try to assassinate as many as possible. You might get a room down from 11 guards to 4 before you even start actual combat.

Arkail has a rage bar that is used in the story. He has had many past issues with his rage, killing allies while blinded by rage, which is a mechanic. If his rage bar gets too high during combat he will go on a rampage and even kill Styx if he is too close. Part of the storyline is based around his rage and you definitely get some interesting choices and insight into the history of both characters and why they are like they are.

The overarching storyline is humans are slowly taking over the world, after many years of war Orcs and Goblins are effectively slaves. You play Arkail, an orc from the Bloodjaw tribe tasked with killing the emperor. To help, you've hired Styx to be your guide. I'd say the first third of the game is actually quite boring in terms of story, but it definitely paid off towards the middle when there are some character revelations that translate nicely into new spells and such. Followed by much more interesting locations compared to the early game dungeons and sewers.

It looks pretty good for the most part, some characters look great while less important ones are unimpressive. There aren't many sets of gear. There are probably 5 per character, and they fit into one per role for the most part. Probably a dozen weapons for each character throughout but there are probably more than this from the optional bosses I missed.

The music is absolutely fantastic: My Quest Begins, Back to the Forest.

Check it out. I wasn't expecting some of the twists it threw at me, and the last half of the game is much better than the first.

This and Mars: War Logs have been on my tentative buy list for a while. I'll probably pick this up when I get home tonight.

antitrop

Unfortunately Bulletstorm ended up being one of the most underrated games of 2011. People clung on to the dick jokes but didn't give the gameplay the credit it deserved. Though it's a bit on the easy side unless you crank it up to very hard.

Bulletstorm is legit one of the best FPS of the last gen.

fallout

People are saying Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider were the most overrated games this year. What about Bioshock Infinite? The only thing I found excellent about that game was the presentation. The gameplay was very meh.
I find "overrated" to be a commonly misused and misunderstood term. E.g., I found GTA IV to be a wonderful game. I also thought it was one of the most overrated games of all time. However, that overrating had little to do with the game itself and more to do with the hype. The level of hyperbole in game reviews at the time was astounding. Unfortunately, "overrated" somehow means "bad" to people, so I try to avoid using the word entirely.

Grief.exe

Bioshock 1 is easily the worst gameplay in the franchise. A case could probably be made for 2 having the best, but I enjoyed the guns/vigors in Infinite the most of the 3.

I think Bioshock 1 has the best story, and 2 has the worst (unless you count Minerva's Den), Infinite is in the middle.

I would make the case for 2 having the best gameplay.

You take away so much when you remove the ability to hold more than 2 weapons.

rtcn63

You take away so much when you remove the ability to hold more than 2 weapons.

I've always hated this. Remember playing Resistance 3 that was packed in with my move bundle and thinking, "I can hold all my guns, AND they upgrade with use?" So good.

Infinite lets you carry all your vigors, and yet... A new game+ mode that allowed you to start with all weapons and abilities would've been nice as consolation.

Sajjaja

So it doesn't look like Guacamelee will be getting a discount :(

I have Dragon Age Origins and Awakening on Origin, is the 9 content packs worth using my Steam wallet on it? Or should I just hold on to the glimmer of hope for Guacamelee?

I've never played it.

kris.

Banned
So far I've only picked up

- Skyrim
- Dark Souls
- Bioshock Infinite (GMG)

This is mostly due to me restraining myself and realizing that I don't have a computer to even play these on. Building a rig at the moment. Need games to play on it when it's up and running. Went a little too far with the summer sale...

mrgone

hmm. Which of course is cheaper than buying it in a four pack and then buying the DLC ($8.74). Well...I will just be buying that then. Thanks for the heads up on what I should have realized a while ago.

Seems like the way to go if the expansion's worthwhile. Doubt they'll both be 75% off individually until next year.

Even with keys you set, it picks random ones at times, apparently.

Damn, that's no good. :eek:

Grief.exe

Shadow Warrior should be an instabuy for anyone that doesn't already own it

Shadow Warrior is really good.

You guys know I love Flying Wild Hog, but I think I will have to wait. Admittedly, I was so close to pulling the trigger this morning.

I already picked up Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and the ever generous Xelios gifted me Last Light. So I think I am more than set until the Winter sale.

Guy.brush

Bought AgeOfEmpires II HD Edition.
Now I read that The Forgotten Expansion features new AI.
Anyone know if the AI is worth another 5 bucks?
Want to play this in skirmish with 1-2 friends vs. AI.

Decado

Shadow Warrior should be an instabuy for anyone that doesn't already own it

I'm probably going to bite. Looks crazy, despite mixed reviews, and has received a lot of patches. Would be more inclined if there was mod support/community.

Grief.exe

So far I've bought:

-Max Payne 1 & 2
-Max Payne 3
-Shadow Warrior
-The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

I regret nothing.

Jase's response:

You insignificant, non-Australian wretch, you did not pick up the Russian, Scottish, Frech, and Ethiopian versions of Max Payne 1 & 2?

You will carry this shame for yonks.

tumblr_m6wxraof8r1qb6cnho1_500.jpg

Altazor

Jase's response:

You insignificant, non-Australian wretch, you did not pick up the Russian, Scottish, Frech, and Ethiopian versions of Max Payne 1 & 2?

You will carry this shame for yonks.

shame on me, for I have failed the Holy Father of Saoirse's pics :(

I should've bought all those versions, indeed. How am I to live from now on with this huge shame?

Dr Dogg

You guys know I love Flying Wild Hog, but I think I will have to wait. Admittedly, I was so close to pulling the trigger this morning.

I already picked up Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and the ever generous Xelios gifted me Last Light. So I think I am more than set until the Winter sale.

Got to admire your resilience. I snapped after legacyzero posted those pics a while back and now I'm deliberating on picking up the dlc for Last Light despite having lots on my plate already.

illusionary

The Stanley Parable is sitting there saying "buy me"... I was hoping for more than 40% off, but I think I can just about justify to myself stretching to £6.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I regret not getting Crysis 3 complete for 10 bucks. Should I regret regretting that, GAF? I liked Crysis 2 btw fuck y'all.

Dammit. I bought The Stanley Parable before getting the demo. And I wanted to play the demo before the full-game... it wont let me download the demo now.

Does anyone have a link to download it outside of steam? Thanks!

Derrick01

Banned
DAT hyperbole.

Come now, Derrick, 2013 has seen Aliens: Colonial Marines, The War Z, Ride to Hell: Retribution and Ashes Cricket 2013. Be at least fair.

I didn't play any of those though.

Top (bottom?) 3 for me so far: Tomb raider, Assassin's Creed 4 and Saints Row 4.

Grief.exe

shame on me, for I have failed the Holy Father of Saoirse's pics :(

I should've bought all those versions, indeed. How am I to live from now on with this huge shame?

You must commit the act of Seppuku. Not an Australian tradition, but from our neighbors to the north.

Got to admire your resilience. I snapped after legacyzero posted those pics a while back and now I'm deliberating on picking up the dlc for Last Light despite having lots on my plate already.

I will stay strong! Xelios included all the Last Light DLC with the gift as well, too generous.

This koala face is the perfect reaction image for Disney right now.

3YayzDR.png

LuuKyK

9oOQWS0.gif

Well this sucks. Steam charged me two times for Tomb Raider even though I canceled the first purchase. I blame the shitty BoaCompra service.

The first one was the Survival Edition and the second the normal edition. Will I get the extras from the Survival one? How do I know which one am I downloading? They both show on my purchase history but its only one in my library...

Fuck me. lol At least it was not that expensive. If only I could turn one of those in a gift to share some love here...

Lingitiz

Guess I should pick up Shadow Warrior.

I wish Brothers would go on sale already. I'd love to have played that before GOTY stuff starts going. Maybe I'll just grab it at 7.49.

Turfster

The first one was the Survival Edition and the second the normal edition. Will I get the extras from the Survival one? How do I know which one am I downloading? They both show on my purchase history but its only one in my library...
Check the DLC tab in properties.

9oOQWS0.gif

Well this sucks. Steam charged me two times for Tomb Raider even though I canceled the first purchase. I blame the shitty BoaCompra service.

Fuck me. lol At least it was not that expensive. If only I could turn one of those in a gift to share some love here...

It is worth contacting customer service I expect.

Derrick01

Banned
Also about the far cry discussion a page or two back, the only reason FC2 is polarizing is because it separates who appreciates older game design and the modern game design (I.E Far Cry 3). 2 was not a perfect game by far but it was incredibly ambitious and had a lot of PC-like sim elements to it. I don't think it was a game console owners were ready for at the time and like I said it does have several glaring flaws that some can't get over like the checkpoints and malaria (which I thought was cool and it hit infrequent enough that it didn't annoy me).

It's just a shame that the series got Ubisoft'd after Hocking left.

edit: And the fire stuff in FC2 was worlds ahead of 3's fire where you would light a plant on fire and it dies out in 5 seconds. It was different in that 1 weed burning mission where the fire was suddenly amplified in effect, but out in the world it sucked compared to 2.

ok, even though i am still tempted to pick up metro last light i will pass on this for now. my rig is far too bad for it i guess. got me shadow warrior, dust and fez instead. haven´t played any of these so i hope i did not make the wrong choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom