• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
c'mon hate plus, go cheaper
tumblr_lmt1nftCZh1qesqsd.gif

The_Monk

And only 9 screenshots this time :D

In the process of installing this but crappy internet be damned it's taking a while. Still for quite an old game it's quite a looker still. How does it hold up in the performance and looks department to Dirt 3 and did you have any unusual GFWL problems this time round (or bypass it altogether). Thanks in advance fellowGAFfer.

Regarding how it looks:

Dirt 3 looks better than 2 and it have more weather effects while Dirt 2 has none (such rain, snow, etc, like I mentioned) They both look great but again Dirt 3 takes the prize, either way, it hold up pretty well! I had zero performance issues, game run perfectly all the time with a steady frame rate which makes a huge difference.

Regarding GFWL:

In Dirt 3 I had to opt out of Steam BETA. When I had the Beta on steam I found the following problems:

- Keyboard stopped respondind. At all. I had to fix it by removing the usb and plug it back in.

- Freezing when I went to Quit the game. I had to crtl+alt+del and stop the exe, otherwise I would get the game stuck on the same image and sound forever.

- Black Screen. When clicking "Play" on Steam for BOTH Dirt 2 and 3 nothing happened. I only got a black screen and no sound or game at all.

All the above had a EASY fix. Like I said, simply Opt OUT of the Steam BETA and all these problems were gone.

Also, I never had a single problem signing in on GFWL, getting Achievements and GFWL not signing in or signing you out. For Dirt 3 I even download a FREE DLC from the Marketplace, installed and I could use it. That easy!

Looking at your games I say play the Batmans. Some of my favorite games in recent memory.

I was playing Batman AA on the Halloween but it was put on hold. Need to get back to it. Regarding AC I already finished once, on the PS3. Will replay it later on for a more "neat" graphical experience. :)

Need to dig something else from my Library or hoping for better days on the Winter sale.

Anustart

Jesus Christ is Dead Space fucking perfect. I haven't played a horror game before with this perfect mix of atmosphere and scares from the enemies. I can't say it enough that no game before has had me on edge like this one.

Please, anyone who enjoys horror games and has yet to try this, don't be like me and put it to the side, PLAY this shit, sogood.gif.

It's the constant noises that really set it apart. Shit's creaking, falling, scraping etc. Room empty? It very well may be, but the sounds of metal clanging, shit sounding like it's walking towards you and the visuals just work together to keep me on the edge of my seat at all times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jesus Christ is Dead Space fucking perfect. I haven't played a horror game before with this perfect mix of atmosphere and scares from the enemies. I can't say it enough that no game before has had me on edge like this one.

Please, anyone who enjoys horror games and has yet to try this, don't be like me and put it to the side, PLAY this shit, sogood.gif.

It's the constant noises that really set it apart. Shit's creaking, falling, scraping etc. Room empty? It very well may be, but the sounds of metal clanging, shit sounding like it's walking towards you and the visuals just work together to keep me on the edge of my seat at all times.

It's too bad the series starts to go downhill from there. 2-3 were alright, but not as special as DS1, IMO.

Just wait-- the sequel is even better. (Skip 3)

vg260

Really looking forward to see what Greenman does tomorrow. They usually undercut Steam with vouchers, so hopefully they can do that during this sale. Looking to pickup some newer stuff.

I might pickup State of Decay on Steam if it hits $10.

Bummer Pinball Arcade season packs are not on sale, but those just came out. Hopefully in December.

dinopoke

For anyone interested in getting the 400 Days DLC for The Walking Dead, it's 75% off at Amazon. Wish I checked it myself before getting it on Steam :p.

Agreed...very enjoyable... and stupid me made the game even more low-ammo-scary because my brain can't figure out I can break open the lit up boxes for extra ammo until very late in the game. LOL

Saige

I must do better.
Man Super Hexagon is loads of fun. It’s the perfect dirt cheap indie game to pass the time while waiting for bigger daily deals.

Thanks A Sentient Keyboard for linking it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To answer on the Dead Space 2 thing, why one said downhill and one said better, Dead Space 2 is arguably a better or worse game than the original depending on how you look at it and what you wanted from it.

Dead Space 2 is not as scary as the first, that's not to say it doesn't have any moments... Just, less-so than the first game. They also basically eliminated the classic 'boss' formula. There are 'bosses', but many are more cinematic sequences or just stronger monsters you may face more than once presented firstly in a boss-like way.

That said, I believe it has better pacing, and this will either be a plus or negative to you, the game has almost no back-tracking. A larger variety of environments are at-hand, as well as a larger selection of monsters and weapons.

Basically it's less-scary, more action-packed, BUT I also feel it is better designed and paced. Take that as you will.

Anustart

Quick question about Dead Space sequels. I've heard that part 3 is trash? Is this true and how so?

And lastly, how is the second one compared to the first?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Quick question about Dead Space sequels. I've heard that part 3 is trash? Is this true and how so?

And lastly, how is the second one compared to the first?

I just was talking about Dead Space 2 above.

Dead Space 3 is worse than the other two. I wouldn't say terrible like some will claim, but worse. Just go into that one expecting minimal scares, and it's more fun with a friend than alone (as it has co-op). It has some pretty cool and fun sections, it's just overall weaker than the other two entries.

Ugh, I hate that this appeared the day before Thanksgiving. I'm not going to be able to leave my house tomorrow due to the holiday, and I don't have much money. I'm just sitting here staring at my Steam wishlist price drops.

Thankfully on Friday I'll be able to go to GS and pick up a Steam card and can finally buy some games. I don't have a credit card so I can only add money to my Steam wallet through cards.

Tomorrow's going to be a LOOONG day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom