• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

So how's the PC version of Prototype 2? I heard 1 was an awful port but I liked the game and I'd like to try this one out.

P2 is in the top 5 of the worst ports ever. Very bad performance, memory leaks (tabbing out helps), crashs, one has to fiddle around with the cpu affinity and so one. I made it through to the end (which isn't guaranteed) but it's bad.

did I miss cheaper volgarr

no

Ugh, I hate that this appeared the day before Thanksgiving. I'm not going to be able to leave my house tomorrow due to the holiday, and I don't have much money. I'm just sitting here staring at my Steam wishlist price drops.

Thankfully on Friday I'll be able to go to GS and pick up a Steam card and can finally buy some games. I don't have a credit card so I can only add money to my Steam wallet through cards.

Tomorrow's going to be a LOOONG day.

I think 7-11 sells steam cards if there is one of those near you.

Li Kao

so anyone played space hulk?

is it any good?

Mmh, don't know.
So, the team behind the game can't add a remap option to save its life.
Graphically ? Not good either. At first the game is nice looking and then aliasing jump at your throat like a genestealer. It aims for the jugular, you see. Maybe by forcing AA through drivers, I never had to resort to that sort of thing
And while if we forget the topic of aliasing the game is not ugly per se and adopts the theme at hand, some actions are painful to look at. When the camera zoom in on a marine shooting or a genestealer rushing, well I'm not sold on the technical prowess of the game.
That leaves us with the most important part, the game. Never had the opportunity to really play the boardgame but it seems to be a zealous adaptation. It's not bad to play once you crank up the animation speed. There is fun to be had with the delirious mass of enemies coming from everywhere.
Content-wise, again a relative miss. You have a solid campaign comprised of multiple maps (didn't count, maybe 15). But then again the other campaigns are an introductory one with 3 levels and another one with... 3 levels or so, if memory serves. Evidently you can then buy two more campaigns (' ^_^)

SO not sold on the game, poor polish, modest graphics and a lasting appeal that remains to be seen.
Maybe the multi...

Damaniel

Banned
Gone Home was worth it at $20. It's ludicrously cheap at $5, even though it's not particularly long (less than 2 hours, all told). Get it if you don't have it already.

this is the first time in my 24 year old life where I'm doing a non-film / music related job on an actual office like you know, cliche work and dude people live like this dude why dude dude

its just for a couple months for extra dough for the summer and to finance some crazy shit that's been happening in my life wich involves kinda falling in love with a Venezuelan chick who is also a Grammy nominated singer and pursuing it and some other stuff i'm sure I'll derail you people with later

I'll be back to my usual repressed steam fueled self soon enough, it'll be depressingly great and we'll party

bro youre an inspiration to gaffers everywhere
get that booty

Picked up Rogue Legacy from the sale. Pretty excited to play with that!

Gone Home doesn't look like something that I'd normally be that interested in, but its gotten so much good word of mouth for 5 bucks I think I'll check it out.

What would you say made those two unfavorable to you?

Lack of things to do I suppose. I'm also not the type who likes to read story notes. I'll tend to just close them and hence get nothing out of it. Similarly I don't want to wait for voice to finish.

Does Gone Home operate through that type of thing?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Risk of Rain or Rogue Legacy.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you're picking it up purely for a solo experience - Rogue Legacy.

If you have someone capable of hosting a game for multiplayer, Risk of Rain is incredible.

Which isn't to say that RoR is terrible single player, but I think Rogue Legacy is slightly more structured for that.

Lack of things to do I suppose. I'm also not the type who likes to read story notes. I'll tend to just close them and hence get nothing out of it. Similarly I don't want to wait for voice to finish.

Does Gone Home operate through that?

Gone Home operates entirely through reading notes, environmental evidence and voice over monologues. It is the video game equivalent of snooping, though far more emotionally rewarding.

I'd say give it a pass then.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, gone home bought

it begins

Mmh, don't know.
So, the team behind the game can't add a remap option to save its life.
Graphically ? Not good either. At first the game is nice looking and then aliasing jump at your throat like a genestealer. It aims for the jugular, you see. Maybe by forcing AA through drivers, I never had to resort to that sort of thing
And while if we forget the topic of aliasing the game is not ugly per se and adopts the theme at hand, some actions are painful to look at. When the camera zoom in on a marine shooting or a genestealer rushing, well I'm not sold on the technical prowess of the game.
That leaves us with the most important part, the game. Never had the opportunity to really play the boardgame but it seems to be a zealous adaptation. It's not bad to play once you crank up the animation speed. There is fun to be had with the delirious mass of enemies coming from everywhere.
Content-wise, again a relative miss. You have a solid campaign comprised of multiple maps (didn't count, maybe 15). But then again the other campaigns are an introductory one with 3 levels and another one with... 3 levels or so, if memory serves. Evidently you can then buy two more campaigns (' ^_^)

SO not sold on the game, poor polish, modest graphics and a lasting appeal that remains to be seen.
Maybe the multi...

doesn't sound so hot, couldn't care less about graphics but having a weak campaign or being too multiplayer-focused disinterested me

Ugh, I hate that this appeared the day before Thanksgiving. I'm not going to be able to leave my house tomorrow due to the holiday, and I don't have much money. I'm just sitting here staring at my Steam wishlist price drops.

Thankfully on Friday I'll be able to go to GS and pick up a Steam card and can finally buy some games. I don't have a credit card so I can only add money to my Steam wallet through cards.

Tomorrow's going to be a LOOONG day.

Actually if one of these is near you and still open you might be able to pick a steam card up tonight.

pQg1iaj.png

avcables

Banned
Risk of Rain or Rogue Legacy.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll vouch for Rogue Legacy being insanely excellent. Seriously, some of the best tens of hours of your life. Worth it at $15, 3x as much at $5!

I'm really debating on Risk of Rain. Keep me in mind if you want to go in on a 4-pack. I'm more than willing to hold the 3 extra copies to try and resell if you want to just pick up one.

Lingitiz

Does Gone Home operate through that type of thing?

Gone Home is all environmental storytelling. Most of the fun relies on your interest in picking through all these objects, reading letters, objects, audiologs, and piecing the story together for yourself. It's all really well written, has a great soundtrack and atmosphere, and doesn't suffer from a lack of agency like in Dear Esther.

I don't think it suffers from a lack of things to do, but if you're the type to not really care about the little details and just want to rush to the end, it probably won't work for you.

Bought YNAB (my trial expired yesterday) for 50% off. Could have waited for 75% off, but I need a god damn budget now!

Also bought Outlast for a friend. Need some steep 80 - 90% deals to browse.

Sleeping Dogs doesnt work for me and I still don't understand why.

I could only play for about 20 minutes before the screen went black with green dots.

The longer I stayed away from playing it, the longer I could last in game before crashing.

No other game I ever played crashed so I don't think its my computer. It actually only started after I upgraded to a Gigabyte Guerrilla motherboard / GTX 580.

All drivers updated.

Any thoughts?

Li Kao

ok, gone home bought

it begins

doesn't sound so hot, couldn't care less about graphics but having a weak campaign or being too multiplayer-focused disinterested me

Uguu, I remember now. I had a bugged out genestealer, too. Present on the map but standing still and un-targetable. A bug some review spoke about at release IIRC. Scratch what I said, the game is shit and I feel bad for having supported this shamble of a game.
Man, that felt good. But I still feel bad.

Oublieux

Sleeping Dogs doesnt work for me and I still don't understand why.

I could only play for about 20 minutes before the screen went black with green dots.

The longer I stayed away from playing it, the longer I could last in game before crashing.

No other game I ever played crashed so I don't think its my computer. It actually only started after I upgraded to a Gigabyte Guerrilla motherboard / GTX 580.

All drivers updated.

Any thoughts?

That really sounds like an overheating GPU.

Gone Home is all environmental storytelling. Most of the fun relies on your interest in picking through all these objects, reading letters, objects, audiologs, and piecing the story together for yourself. It's all really well written, has a great soundtrack and atmosphere, and doesn't suffer from a lack of agency like in Dear Esther.

I don't think it suffers from a lack of things to do, but if you're the type to not really care about the little details and just want to rush to the end, it probably won't work for you.

Thanks. I think it isn't for me right now.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
People... still play RPG Maker?!

Horror fan introverting, RPG Maker actually got a big burst in popularity in the west as of late 2010 due to a person named VGPerson translating a few recently-released horror titles made with RPG Maker that are of actual quality, got noticed due to YouTubers playing them, and have become cult titles.

The game that started the slight surge of cult popularity is the game Ib.

Which has spawned a stupid amount of fan art:

Trust me, there's a LOT more fan art of the game. Other games translated and released later, such as Witch's House, Mad Father, Crooked Man, as well as a few oldies gaining more attention, like Corpse Party and Ao Oni, have helped it gain more popularity in the last couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom