• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually why I'm mostly interested. I want to give it a shot to see how well I can translate my writing to the old school RPG mechanics. Twine was a blast to use. It let me concentrate almost completely on the writing side of things and only the bare minimum of coding to do some custom work and borrowing others' scripts to enhance the experience. As someone who can't tolerate much coding at all but would love to work on interactive versions of their stories, RPG Maker and the like are very welcomed.

To give people an idea, I was able to make this:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwIG71i9puOOcTA0REg2VnZsdVk/edit?usp=sharing (requires RPG maker or the free runtime http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages)

capture19ktu.png

In about 4 hours from the first serious use of the program. I am a programmer so I did get into the scripts for a few simple things, but basically it was all through the UI.

Elija2

I have $2 in my Paypal account that I'd like to add to my Steam wallet. Since $5 is the minimum that I can add to my wallet, do I have to add $3 to my Paypal and then transfer it to my Steam wallet?

I have $2 in my Paypal account that I'd like to add to my Steam wallet. Since $5 is the minimum that I can add to my wallet, do I have to add $3 to my Paypal and then transfer it to my Steam wallet?

Yup. Or you can just leave it in your paypal and buy using those funds. Or you can combine payments from what is in your steam wallet with what is in your paypal.

This is actually why I'm mostly interested. I want to give it a shot to see how well I can translate my writing to the old school RPG mechanics. Twine was a blast to use. It let me concentrate almost completely on the writing side of things and only the bare minimum of coding to do some custom work and borrowing others' scripts to enhance the experience. As someone who can't tolerate much coding at all but would love to work on interactive versions of their stories, RPG Maker and the like are very welcomed.
I'm sort of tempted to get RPG Maker too, but the fact that all it can do are RPGs with menu based commands kind of kills the appeal for me. The ~$18 price is also a bit steep for the limited game functionality that's shown in the trailer.

zkylon

zkylewd
Jim-Jam is here in spirit. And in the physical a few posts above.
lol been so used to his absence that didn't see him

also that witcha avatar is new

I'm sort of tempted to get RPG Maker too, but the fact that all it can do are RPGs with menu based commands kind of kills the appeal for me. The ~$18 price is also a bit steep for the limited game functionality that's shown in the trailer.
I haven't used rpg maker in like a decade but I recall making real time combat stuff with some scripting magic and tutorials

dunno if it's the same version as today tho

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For anyone who wants some examples of RPG Maker games, you can check out the topic I made on underlooked gems.

Just to highlight a few free ones here (obviously horror-ish ones as I am the horror ethusiast):

Yumenikki.png

Yume Nikki

Yume Nikki Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mcp_XX0ews
Yume Nikki is a free adventure game about dreams. This game is still -technically- unfinished, but has a high level of quality in its current version (version 0.10) and can be played from beginning to end (the creator apparently wants to one day add more to the game). It originally came out in 2005, but it only started to get a lot of attention in 2008, when the game was picked up by the most popular Japanese gaming board, which helped spread it to even English-speaking audiences. The game has become big enough to inspire a ton of fan-made content, and official merchandise in Japan.

In the game, you play as a girl named Madotsuki. The game takes a lot of visual inspirations from Mother 3, but has a completely open style of design. Initially to new players, there may be no clear goal. You start off in a room, unable to leave, but can fiddle around with things, or play a Super Nintendo game about eggplants, and eventually go off to sleep. When you sleep is when the game really begins, soon you'll find yourself in a room full of doors, each of which leading to completely different surreal area. You can explore freely, with a surprisingly large amount of deeper areas and doors hidden away to go even deeper into your dreams. Each area has its own train of logic you have to crack and figure out, like a dream. Soon you'll probably interact with a strange object or character and gain something called an 'effect'. Going to your menu, you can equip the effect and transform Madotsuki in some sort of way. Some of these effects give you special powers, some are completely aesthetic, but the goal is to collect all 24. However, not all is safe here in the world of dreams, as there are nightmare areas and stalkers of sorts who will try to catch you, and will wake you up from your dream the moment you're caught.

The game has a lot of symbolism and does a great job capturing the feeling of a dream. It has inspired a TON of fan games and works, and remains one of the most popular RPG Maker games. It has a lot of secrets hidden away in the game, and lots of surprises for those who decide to travel to Madotsuki's dreamscae. Worth checking out if you're a fan of exploring in games, surreal or 'experience' games, or if the whole concept just sounds intriguing. You can read up more on the game and download it from here.

ibgarryandmarygarry3180.jpg

Ib

Ib Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnburNVFCd0
Ib is the story of a girl of the same nam going with her family to an Art Museum where displays by a famous artist known as Guertena are on exhibition. However, while wandering the art museum, Ib soon finds herself alone and, shortly, is lead to enter into a painting. On the other side, she finds a whole world of abstract and strange rooms and puzzles that she seems trapped in. Wielding a rose that seems to represent her life, she must survive the trials of this strange painting world and try to find an escape, soon with allies that also seem trapped in the painting, slightly flamboyant and courageous coward Garry, and fun-loving but slightly needy little girl Mary.

The game has a tense atmosphere at the beginning, but becomes more interesting and puzzle-focused the deeper you get into it. With multiple endings and a rather short length, this free game is worth it for those who like exploration or puzzle based horror games, or an interesting 2D adventure game. The creator seems to want to expand more on this universe in the future.

Can download the game here.

tumblr_mduegrHSCn1qjno6ro1_1280.jpg

The Witch's House

Witch's House Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDNqyQ22Yo
A free survival-horror adventure game where you play as a girl, known as Viola, going into a trap-ridden house that is run by a witch. Surviving in this place is not easy, there are all all sorts of demented and varied traps, monsters, puzzles, and rooms in the house, though you must find a way to break the spell and escape. With a surprisingly impacting story and a series of ridiculous but great death scenes for when you die (and you will die... A lot), it really is both a very tense and entertaining endeavor into the depths of the Witch's den. For those who like horror or survival-adventure games, and actually can be quite scary
and heart-wrenching.

You can download the English version of the game here.

You can check out the games original Japanese website here.

tumblr_m7zhiesC4H1r8ozyc.png

Ao Oni

Ao Oni Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1t73s-D4vI
A Korean horror comedy game starring a giant purple monster. Featuring a group of teens who explore a nearby mansion hearing that it's haunted, they get trapped in with a creature known as Ao Oni (Blue Demon) who begins to pick them off and troll them through the mansion and nearby buildings. You play as Hiroshi, who must solve puzzles and survive to save his friends and escape.

The game is surprisingly atmospheric, with the monster able to pop up any time to start chasing you, along with a series scripted moments. The game trolls you a lot, but has a charm that makes you want to just keep on going despite how much shit it throws at you. Has many different versions with new additions and puzzle solutions, and a stupid amount of fan games (it's big in Korea apparently).

You can find out more about the game and download its many different versions and hundreds of fan games here.

screen1.png

OFF

OFF Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVQ5KNx2zGA
OFF is a free French RPG where you take control of a mysterious person called “The Batter”, who is described to be on an important mission. The Batter, and yourself as his controller, are dropped off in zone 0, the first of 4 zones in a perplexing, unknown world about which you slowly find out more and more in the process of the game.

Known for its amazing characters, original soundtrack, and a twisted yet entertaining journey into the depths of this strange world, it is worth it for fans of RPGs, especially those that like Mother 3, which it draws some inspiration from. It is very off-beat, but very well made.

You can download the English translated form of this game here.

You can download the games original soundtrack here.

Space-Funeral_3.jpg

Space Funeral

Space Funeral Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syDXH-ZPXvA
A surrealistic turn-based RPG that is just strange. With a weird artstyle and sloppy animation, but surprisingly interesting setting and soundtrack, it isn't very long (lasting about an hour or two) and is quite a different experience for those who seek it.

You can download Space Funeral here.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
To give people an idea, I was able to make this:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwIG71i9puOOcTA0REg2VnZsdVk/edit?usp=sharing (requires RPG maker or the free runtime http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages)

In about 4 hours from the first serious use of the program. I am a programmer so I did get into the scripts for a few simple things, but basically it was all through the UI.

I see there's a lot of DLC for sprite packs and such, how's the support for custom art importing? I know an artist I'd like to work with so being able to import assets for anything would be awesome. Hopefully it isn't just an in-engine editor type thing.

Lain

Still have to purchase anything, since nothing I want so far is at the right % of discount.

On the positive side, I went to check Edna & Harvey: The Breakout thread on the steam forum about getting keys for old galastore purchases, and found out that I can get a key by emailing galastore now and I wonder how the hell did I miss such an important piece of info in the other GAF Steam thread.

CS:GO is 50% off right now, and obv not as a daily or flash. It's already dirt cheap ($7.50), but is this a title Valve typically reduces further for a daily or flash? Or can I expect it to stay the same?

derExperte

CS:GO is 50% off right now, and obv not as a daily or flash. It's already dirt cheap ($7.50), but is this a title Valve typically reduces further for a daily or flash? Or can I expect it to stay the same?

ibjBMTf0nnaFJf.jpg

Golden Rule::

Only buy games that go on a daily/flash deal - hold out until the last day to buy the rest of the games you wanted.
Only buy games that go on a daily/flash deal - hold out until the last day to buy the rest of the games you wanted.

NOBODY knows exactly what will go on sale, stop asking! and just wait for it to become a deal or not.

Always wait for the daily/flash deals. I'm pretty sure most if not all Valve published games will be discounted even further during this promo.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I asked that same question some time ago and the answer was MDK 2 HD
For some reason in particular, or just because it's newer and shinier -even though it wasn't made by Shiny Entertainment?
(yes, I used that word just for the sake of that terrible pun, I'm sorry!)

If there's no important difference, I'd rather go with the cheaper option, but if there is I'll think about it.

derExperte

Castle of Illusion is tempting me most atm. How likely would a daily/flash sale be for that one?

ibjBMTf0nnaFJf.jpg

Golden Rule::

NOBODY knows exactly what will go on sale, stop asking! and just wait for it to become a deal or not.

I'm going to bed.

For some reason in particular, or just because it's newer and shinier -even though it wasn't made by Shiny Entertainment?
(yes, I used that word just for the sake of that terrible pun, I'm sorry!)

If there's no important difference, I'd rather go with the cheaper option, but if there is I'll think about it.

I don't remember the reason why the HD remake was recomended sorry. xD

Edit:

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Tempted by RPG Maker, although it borders on a bit too pricey. I was blown away to see that it usually costs $70.00! Sheesh!

Well, 4pack brings it down to $13 each, I found a single trader offering it for $11 worth of keys. A little bit more tempting.

CSGO has been so addicting to me lately idk if I'll even grab another game.

Actually I really want PacMan DX+ Edition and all the DLC... hopefully it becomes a daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom