• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Tempted to grab Skullgirls and Dark Souls. Already have Don't Starve, XCOM, Papers Please, FFVII, Dead Island, System Shock 2.

Say I redeem a steam code for a game already in my steam library. Does it "consume" the code or can I give it to someone?

code = key ofc

Grief.exe

When does system shock 2 start to pick up? I find it pretty hard to get into, possibly because of the dated graphics. The tutorial section seems to drag.

Tutorial section is less than 10 minutes long and is entirely skippable.

Game looks great with mods

C1D3BE555A0A80BB437B901C2C7E76EA668E5E6C

SS2 Mod Guide

I'm almost afraid to ask this but what exactly is so good about Dark Souls?

I'm just curious as I see a lot of people rave about it and I just wanted to know what makes the game so well received?

The lore, gameplay, RPG mechanics, loot, storytelling, and atmosphere are all absolute perfection.

Game is not with out its problems, for example some areas in the back half aren't very good due to the development being rushed. But game is truly one of the, if not the, best game of the generation and, certainly, one of the best of all time.

I hate brutally hard games so no thanks on dark souls.

The difficulty is truly overblown. Once you learn the systems, the game becomes very manageable.
The problem lies in how modern games have trained us.

nbthedude

I'm just curious as I see a lot of people rave about it and I just wanted to know what makes the game so well received?

Here are the two things I love most about it;

1) An open world that doubles back onself and reveals shortcuts/secret passages a la Metriodvania or Zelda. The way the world is all internconnected is brilliant.

2) Melee combat that is always engaging. No button mashing but slower paced, strategic combat.

You could also add one of the most creative blendings of single player and multiplayer but that's not obligatory.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Say I redeem a steam code for a game already in my steam library. Does it "consume" the code or can I give it to someone?

code = key ofc

Steam did initially eat codes. It was the most annoying thing ever and an utterly stupid oversight on Valve's part.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Yeah, the intro tutorial is kind of boring. However, as soon as you are left on the ship, things pick up. The game oozes atmosphere and the fact that you're always short on supplies and enemies are everywhere makes it one of the tensest games I've played. Stick with it for a little longer and see what you think.

I really liked the detail in SS2. Random stuff like the complete corporate history of a potato chip company adds to the atmosphere.

nbthedude

Dark Souls is not hard because it requires really good reflexes.

It's only hard because it demands that you pay attention and learn to adapt your strategies. You can have total shit reflexes and be awesome at Dark Souls. It just requires you to play smart. This aint Ninja Gaiden.

Did HB fix that crappy key system?

I remember someone here hitting them up on Twitter and they mentioned how they were definitely listening to the feedback...

I honestly believe the reason DS gets this rap is because it is horrendous at explaining it's systems. Use wiki's or whatever to learn how that stuff works and the game becomes significantly easier, imho.

The other thing is you have to think about dying as not really a bad thing, just a way of learning what you did wrong. There hasn't been a game that feels this rewarding to succeed in for a very long time.
See I hate dying in any game. I shouldn't, but I always get mad when I have to retry sections a lot.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did you ever get the UK/EU ones shipped over? I'm sure you could make a small house out of them judging by he amount you bought.

Yeah, I got my hands on 2009 -> 2012 that way (I had to buy 2009 twice as the first copy didn't contain a key, but fortunately the seller gave me a full refund, no questions asked). I need to import 2011/2012/2013 Korean and 2013 Asian; 2013/2014 Russian I'll just buy keys for as I did with 2012.

Sword combat is exquisite. It's pretty much impossible for me to go back to playing any other games with sword combat after DS. Despite the gifs that showcase people getting killed the game is fair because the combat is fair. If you get hit it's almost always because you didnt do something right. Either you didnt block when you should have or you attacked when you shouldnt have or you werent paying close enough attention to the environment. It's really hard to describe how swordplay can be good because its something games have struggled with for so long.

And man the atmosphere in DS is incredible. Just an amazing game world. Cant recommend this game enough.

eot

Banned

The difficulty has been overstated, mostly by people who didn't take the game on its own terms. It's not a cakewalk, you're not going to go through it without any deaths, but it's designed with that in mind and therefore it handles difficulty much better than most games. In terms of manual dexterity it's not very demanding at all. I honestly think almost anyone can play it. It's an amazing game for so many reasons, at this price you owe it to yourself to try it.

Grief.exe

I come home only to find another day of nothing on Steam :(

When you have most of the games on Steam that you want, the sales become less interesting.

Today has so many amazing games on sale, the Steam newbies are having a field day

System Shock 2
Dark Souls
Papers Please
Don't starve
Xcom

See I hate dying in any game. I shouldn't, but I always get mad when I have to retry sections a lot.

You are probably very happy with the direction modern gaming is going then.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damage so far:

Papers, Please
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Outlast
Rogue Legacy
Sonic Collection

I'm gonna be flat broke before the winter sale even hits...

Anilx3

So I see a bunch of the Ys games are on sale, Ys Origins for $9.99 and Ys I & II and Ys the Oath in Felghana for $7.49. Are these games worth it?

I never did a Steam Sale before, looking for to picking up System Shock 2 and Papers, Please though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom