• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

Some extras from the Humble weekly:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Jamestown -- MB-2F78FE2605015843 - Taken by Purkake4
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-135BFCD8DBB63580 - Taken by Bpatrol
Enjoy.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, modding Bethesda games is more addicting than the games themselves. I ended up with 150 mods on my New Vegas playthrough, and it was somehow still stable.

I played Morrowind earlier this year. Took 2-3 days to download and install mods and make sure they were working... Oddly enough, i managed to finish the game too (second time ever, played Morrowind for years).
Wonder how long it will take for me to actually play Skyrim...

UnrealEck

Anyone got an Xcom from Amazon they would trade me for something? Just Xcom enemy unknown, not the old games.
I can't buy it from Amazon US.

I've thought/said this a million times but Dark Souls being "hard" is just wrong, it's an engaging game that takes a good amount of time to practice with, but it's not hard. So sick of people posting that and 'tips for newcomers etc... Guess this makes me a jerk but whatever.

Woorloog

Banned
I've thought/said this a million times but Dark Souls being "hard" is just wrong, it's an engaging game that takes a good amount of time to practice with, but it's not hard. So sick of people posting that and 'tips for newcomers etc... Guess this makes me a jerk but whatever.

Arguably it is hard if it takes practice (and it'd be fake hard if it took luck).
Skyrim? Easy, you can usually just dive in the game. Dark Souls? It takes a while to get hang of the game.

Caerith

Dark Souls isn't hard, but it has a reputation of being "hard" and "scary" so a lot of people are afraid to try it. "Tips for newcomers" is the equivalent of a kindly parental figure guiding a child into a swimming pool for the first time (as opposed to just throwing them in).

What I use:
Skyrim Project Optimization
Falskaar
SPIKE
SKSE
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Build Your Own Home
Followers can Relax
Amazing follower tweaks
Midas Magic
Faster Vanilla horses
Horse armors
Yeti's weightless stuff (Ingredients are weightless)
SkyUI
Lord's mail Quest
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches
Towns and Villages Enhanced - Riverwood
Real Glaciers V2
Better Dynamic Snow
Seratic Armor
Project Reality: Climates of Tamriel
Invested Magic
Xenius Character Enhancement
Sounds of Skyrim
Wyrmstooth
Better horses
Knights of the Nine V2.6
Lush Grass
Pure Waters
Isilmeriel's LOTF weapons
Moonpath to Elsweyr
SkyTEST - Realistic Animals
Immersive Armors
Locational Damage (Makes the combat better)
Enhanced Character Edit
Frostfall
Realistic Lighting Overhaul

I keep adding more, but those are what I currently have installed.
God seeing all those mods makes me just want to play Vanilla and don't bother with this shit.

EDIT: I think I'd be good enough without the level scaling and bug fixes atm.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No, it's balls hard. But not for the reasons people think. It's not that hard to win fights but the game punishes you severely for being careless and not planning ahead.

Keikaku

FFVII on the PC is nearly identical to the PSX release. It used to be worse, but then they patched the music to match the PSX version.

The only real differences:

• Steam achievements
  • Cloud saving
  • Is compatible with all of the mods made for the PC version

There are a few total graphics overhaul mods that look pretty cool, but keep in mind that when using mods I believe achievements and cloud saving is disabled.
Hmmm OK. Thanks for writing all that! Guess I'll stick to the PSX version for now then. Avoided damage to my wallet so far though I did get Rogue Legacy yesterday!

Dark Souls isn't hard, but it has a reputation of being "hard" and "scary" so a lot of people are afraid to try it. "Tips for newcomers" is the equivalent of a kindly parental figure guiding a child into a swimming pool for the first time (as opposed to just throwing them in).

Well shit, now I'm never having children.

Come on, it is a hard game. If you have put a hundred hours into Demon Souls and know exactly how to approach it and what everything does you can have an easy time of it. Even with Demon Souls there was the excellent walkthrough included to help get you going.

The first time through out of the blocks is really going to test gamers. That is why it is so good.

nbthedude

Arguably it is hard if it takes practice (and it'd be fake hard if it took luck).
Skyrim? Easy, you can usually just dive in the game. Dark Souls? It takes a while to get hang of the game.

My only problem with calling Dark Souls "hard" is that it is different than the ways other games are "hard." People hear "hard" and they think of all these games like Ninja Gaiden that require amazing reflexes or something like Star Craft or Dota 2 that have amazing complex systems that take a really long time to learn and master.

It's not "hard" to play. It doesn't require amazing timing or reflexes or deep diving into complex game systems that are difficult to understand. It is only hard in the sense that you have to pay attention to what you are doing and play smart. It's "hard" in the sense that you can't just mash attack buttons and expect to kill anything. You have to block, dodge, and look for openings. A sixty year old man could learn to play Dark Souls effectively fairly easily. And that's no exaggeration. It requires almost nothing in the way of fast reflexes. It just takes observation, experimentation, strategy, using all your resources, and patience.

MRORANGE

comes back home....

40 pages of stuff and Salsa.

Anyway:

iMwdRlFXUQQtk.PNG

You can ask these gaffers to buy you a game from a cheaper region.

Please remember: buyer must cover the Paypal charges and exchange rates means your are paying a different price.
If you want to be added to the list, send me a PM with the region you live in.

North America:

I H8 Memes
gabbo

Europe:

Accent
Wok
Asia:

South America:

No Asians or South Americans representing with the deal savings.

And that's no exageration. It requires almost nothing in the way of fast reflexes. It just takes observation, strategy, using all your resources, and patience.

When you master it, sure. But when you are learning you'll be rolling around like a crazy man. We are not talking about Boshy reflexes, but some of the bosses certainly require you to move quickly.

Always happy to help out if people want Australian prices.

eot

Banned
Thought I write a few words about my favorite game since some are still on the fence about buying it.

Everyone buy Dark Souls.

-"Is it true that there is hardly any story?"
No, there is a story. A big one, actually. The lore behind this game is huge and the characters and relationships between them are pretty complex, I'd say. Thing is though, to get the full experience you have to pay attention to your surroundings, talk to the characters and read item descriptions etc. On top of that, you have to use your brain to figure some stuff out yourself (e.g. you talk to a nice NPC that wears a big red dress and later in the game you find a corpse near a big trap and loot a big red dress from it, chances are the NPC died here - or maybe he/she was robbed and you looted the big red dress from the thief? - or there are more than one person wearing big red dresses?) Anyway, the more you invest in the story, the more you get back.

Great post.
Dark Souls actually has some of the best storytelling in a game that I've seen, for many reasons. In particular though I love how interwoven the gameplay and mechanics are with the story and themes. Part of why it works is because it's vague, but still, I can't think of a game as cohesive as Dark Souls from a mechanic/thematic/storytelling standpoint. It's not a game with a story bolted on top of it, everything feels like its there in service of the same vision.

nbthedude

When you master it, sure. But when you are learning you'll be rolling around like a crazy man. We are not talking about Boshy reflexes, but some of the bosses certainly require you to move quickly.

Always happy to help out if people want Australian prices.

Not really. If you play heavy armor, you can block and tank your way through pretty much anything, especially with spells like Iron Sweat and Power Within. You don't really need to dodge anything ever if you don't want. It just depends on how you want to approach the game.

nbthedude

I'm not saying that I spend the last 20 mins getting butt fucked by the Asylum Demon...
I so did

Walk off the ledge and press RB in the air to drop attack him. It'll take off like 1/3 of his life before the fight even begins.

Then just lock on and circle strafe and wait for him to attack and punish him for it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
comes back home....

40 pages of stuff and Salsa.

Anyway:

I did something stupid and had to cancel my CC, so, until my new one arrives, I'm living of bank payments to my Steam Wallet, which takes 3 days to register (it also has a 50 cent tax to do so, so I can't just keep adding money in the amount I need, otherwise I'd be losing money), so I can't really help anyone.

Also, there's an extra 6% tax I have to pay when making CC purchases on Steam now (on top of whatever else you'd have to pay me on paypal, I usually do a 10% blanket tax), so Unless I had massive amounts of Steam Wallet Funds (which I don't), I Wouldn't be able to help much....

I might be able to skip the 6% tax once my new card shows up, or at least make it smaller, and still be able to buy things on the spot, but I won't be able to test it until them. I should have an answer for the Winter Sale though.

Shambles

Which CS is best CS? *puts on flame vest*

I played CS:S for the first time at a LAN a while ago and had a great time. It seems like people are all over the place so I don't care as much about game play as I do about (1) which one is easier to implement at a LAN and (2) which is played by more people.

Walk off the ledge and press RB in the air to drop attack him. It'll take off like 1/3 of his life before the fight even begins.

Then just lock on and circle strafe and wait for him to attack and punish him for it.

Yeah I've got the circle strafe down pat, I just make dumb errors.

That drop attack sounds handy though. Will try.

nbthedude

Yeah I've got the circle strafe down pat, I just make dumb errors.

That drop attack sounds handy though. Will try.

You don't have to time it. You can press it in the air as soon as you start falling and just hold it.

Also one other small tip to send you on your way. After you beat him and get into the overworld, go RIGHT up the hill past the bomb throwing guys into the tunnel. That will lead you to the first area of the game: Undeadburg. The other directions (cemetary and ruins) will lead to your quick death. I only mention that because I know a lot of people that start the game and then get all upset because they head into areas that are way over their head at the very beginning. :)

Not really. If you play heavy armor, you can block and tank your way through pretty much anything, especially with spells like Iron Sweat and Power Within. You don't really need to dodge anything ever if you don't want. It just depends on how you want to approach the game.

Yeah but once again that is saying if you know exactly what to do it is easy. While that is true to some extent, that pretty much applies to every game ever.

I don't think anybody new to Dark Souls wouldn't find it hard until they get over the "hump" of ringing the first bell.

Which CS is best CS? *puts on flame vest*

I see no real reason not to play CS:Go.

nbthedude

Yeah but once again that is saying if you know exactly what to do it is easy. While that is true to some extent, that pretty much applies to every game ever.

I don't think anybody new to Dark Souls doesn't find it hard until they get over the "hump" of ringing the first bell.

I see no real reason not to play CS:Go.

I guess. The difference I just want to make is that it's not "hard" the way most other games are hard. People (right I think) get scared off by games that require amazing reflexes or that have really convoluted systems they have to spend huge of amounts of time learning. Dark Souls requires neither of those.

My reflexes are pretty ass and I beat the game.

You don't have to time it. You can press it in the air as soon as you start falling and just hold it.

Also one other small tip to send you on your way. After you beat him and get into the overworld, go RIGHT up the hill past the bomb throwing guys into the tunnel. That will lead you to the first area of the game: Undeadburg. The other directions (cemetary and ruins) will lead to your quick death. I only mention that because I know a lot of people that start the game and then get all upset because they head into areas that are way over their head at the very beginning. :)

Sweet that drop attack worked a treat. Made it a lot easier. Thanks for the advice :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom