• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Plagman

Neo Member
Well, I've started playing Dark Souls 2 and thought it controlled amazingly well with the mouse in right trackpad. The only problem is that it's impossible to switch targets. Mouse Joystick solves the issue, and although it's not as good as the mouse emulation, it's still better than moving the camera with an analog stick.

You can set a mode switch on the right pad to convert it from Mouse to D-Pad, activated by right pad click. Then on that "lower" D-Pad mode, bind keyboard O to Up/Down, and keyboard J/L to Left Right, and you'll be able to toggle targeting and cycle targets by clicking quadrants of your right pad, while maintaining mouse accuracy.

Unai

Ucchedavāda;192775080 said:
Does anyone have issues with the Steam button? Since the last update or so, I can no longer enter BPM by pressing it, nor even bring Steam to the front. Instead, I now have to manually focus Steam, and click on the button with my mouse, which is a bit annoying.

Same here.

You can set a mode switch on the right pad to convert it from Mouse to D-Pad, activated by right pad click. Then on that "lower" D-Pad mode, bind keyboard O to Up/Down, and keyboard J/L to Left Right, and you'll be able to toggle targeting and cycle targets by clicking quadrants of your right pad, while maintaining mouse accuracy.

I could, yes. But my right trackpad already has another modifier. I use it as the xbox D-PAD so I can change my items and weapons without getting my hand out of the left stick, with the middle being the right stick click. The left trackpad is kind of redudant in this setup but using it to this is not good either because I would have to let go of the left stick to change tagets. I think that Dark Souls 2 benefits more from having a fast way to change items than from having a more precise camera. Still, the mouse camera was so good :(

Citizen K

How is this controller for emulators. Is the dpad good for some retro 2d gaming action. Can you even use/configure it for these types of games

Anyone? I've actually ordered a controller but just wondering is it easy to use for non steam games? How are you guys getting on with 2d games with the dpad?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone? I've actually ordered a controller but just wondering is it easy to use for non steam games? How are you guys getting on with 2d games with the dpad?

You aren't going to get a definitive answer for that, unfortunately. Some people have been using it fine, others can't adjust.

It's still way better than a 360 dpad.

Nabs

It works great with Non-Steam games, especially in the latest Beta Client. You can even share and download profiles.

It also works with games that don't support the overlay. I just played some Tomb Raider Underworld, a game that refuses to support the overlay on Steam, and it worked beautifully once I selected a community profile.

Has Valve fixed Gamepad emulation from the Steam controller on OSX? When it first launched it wasn't working and I had assumed it would by now, but I couldn't get Nidhogg to recognize my steam controller as an Xbox controller

Foxyone

Is something wrong with outer ring binding? I have an outer ring set as left shift on the analog stick (with inversion) in Skyrim so that a bit of movement walks and anything beyond runs. It keeps changing whether it wants inversion on or off tho (at least seemingly); it just seems to randomly work in reverse often.

Also, I keep getting some issue where I'm pressing buttons that aren't the Steam one, but it brings up the overlay like I did press the Steam button.

Unai

Is something wrong with outer ring binding? I have an outer ring set as left shift on the analog stick (with inversion) in Skyrim so that a bit of movement walks and anything beyond runs. It keeps changing whether it wants inversion on or off tho (at least seemingly); it just seems to randomly work in reverse often.

Also, I keep getting some issue where I'm pressing buttons that aren't the Steam one, but it brings up the overlay like I did press the Steam button.

Skyrim has a toggle button to run/walk, default is CAPS. Maybe it's being pressed and messing with the logic?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So how about this.

The right track pad is awesome as the mouse look in darksouls, but it turns out that pressing right on the right trackpad's button is also the ideal block button in Dark Souls, just like the B button. I don't see a way to make the trackpad act as the mouselook but also have the physical switch behind it act as the B button..

but also having the right stick click be mapped as welll. there has to be a way to have the controller recognize all three inpus

Jinkies

So how about this.

The right track pad is awesome as the mouse look in darksouls, but it turns out that pressing right on the right trackpad's button is also the ideal block button in Dark Souls, just like the B button. I don't see a way to make the trackpad act as the mouselook but also have the physical switch behind it act as the B button..

but also having the right stick click be mapped as welll. there has to be a way to have the controller recognize all three inpus

Mode shift trackpad click into a d-pad. Assign B to top and RS to bottom.

Another Steam Controller update, and they already fixed the Steam button:
  • Fixed a dead zone issue when a trackpad was used in Mouse mode
  • Fixed Steam Button not launching Big Picture when Steam is focused
  • Improved time tracking when publishing configurations for applications that don't work with the overlay

EDIT: I spoke too quickly; I still cant bring Steam to the front using the Steam button, but I can at least start BPM if Steam already has focus.
EDIT2: I spoke too quickly again; now it seems to work. How odd.

UltraJay

So, I just got the Steam Controller and while I am loving it in games, its usage in BPM seems to be borked. I mean, at the moment, none of the touch pads work. So the controller is working like a normal Xbox controller, except it doesn't have access to a DPAD or right stick. Navigating any web page is impossible with the Steam controller! How is it possible to work with when you are using a Steam Link-esque TV setup? You can't scroll or select links with the SC at the moment. There is an option for BPM and BPM Web controller configurations but they are saying "Coming Soon" for me. Is there some reason we can't use our Desktop config while in BPM?

Is there a workaround for this? I'm just surprised that Steam's premier controller is borked in their own UI compared to the Xbox controller this far from launch.

You aren't going to get a definitive answer for that, unfortunately. Some people have been using it fine, others can't adjust.

It's still way better than a 360 dpad.
I'd personally disagree with that notion, since at least on that D-pad, you still have discrete directions that are physically broken up. Rogue Legacy, for example, is passable with the 360 controller D-pad, but feels like a mess on the left haptic pad. But I guess that's part of the subjectivity. It's my only main gripe with the controller since it can't simulate the same tactile feel.

morningbus

I'd personally disagree with that notion, since at least on that D-pad, you still have discrete directions that are physically broken up. Rogue Legacy, for example, is passable with the 360 controller D-pad, but feels like a mess on the left haptic pad. But I guess that's part of the subjectivity. It's my only main gripe with the controller since it can't simulate the same tactile feel.

I don't think having physically separated sections matters much on a dpad if by pressing down you get down-right 40% of the time. The 360 dpad is so bad, games started designing their weapon-selection UIs around its limitations.

I don't think having physically separated sections matters much on a dpad if by pressing down you get down-right 40% of the time. The 360 dpad is so bad, games started designing their weapon-selection UIs around its limitations.
Oh, I agree. But I'll take a 40% accidental diagonal input over, say, a 60% one. :p

I've never had a wrong input with the Steam controller, so i'm not sure what to say.

It works every time and with precision.
I think it's more that the area of the pad is too big to be useful as a D-pad for me. Sometimes I think I'm pressing straight down, but it's just enough to register as a right input as well. So it's not very fluid for me.

Azax

Does anyone know why Left 4 Dead 2 and Witcher 3 with mouse controll feels like 30 fps? I don't have this problem with other games. Mouse joystick feels smoother but Its horribe trying to aim on fps games.

Received mine yesterday along with the Steam Link.

Started off in R6: Siege with a few rounds of Terrorist Hunt.
Made a config for Mass Effect 3, explored the frontier in Elite Dangerous then found myself in The Wild Hunt.

Surprisingly intuitive.
Looking forward to the weekend so I can put it to use even more.

Unai

In my experience the D-PAD, in games you use it for menus and weapon selections etc, it's way better without overlap.

In my experience the D-PAD, in games you use it for menus and weapon selections etc, it's way better without overlap.

I haven't really played any games where movement is done using the dpad, but it is certainly superb for menu-navigation, item management, and such, especially with touch-only, non-overlapping buttons. I got used to the touch-only dpad so quickly that I had a real WTF-moment after I used it with one game and then switched to a different game where the community configuration required me to actually press the dpad.

Widge

Has anyone played Terraria or Sunless Sea with the controller? I've got the former and the latter is on my list, it'd be lovely to have them unlocked to play via pad.

morningbus

What settings are you using for your DPAD? I'm personally getting like 95% accuracy with the DPAD, decent but not good enough.

To be fair, I haven't put extensive time into a platformer (less than an hour or so in Shovel Knight) but I adjusted the overlaps slightly and it worked perfectly for me.

I've put a lot more time into it as the menu navigation/weapon selection buttons in 3D games and those all worked on I believe default settings.

atr0cious

Here's an issue I have:
I have Rainbow Six Siege through uplay only, so I have to use a shortcut to get the controller work. No problem, but if I want to publicly upload it, I can't as the game doesn't show I've played it, even though I've probably got close to 40 hours now. Which normally wouldn't be a problem, but since I haven't "played" the game for an hour with the bindings, it won't let me.

Too add to this, now I can't even find my templates saved on my pc, but they still show up when I load up a game. Where would they be saving? Been using the steamcontrollerdb instructions to find them, but all I see are month old binds.

Dinjoralo

Has anyone played Terraria or Sunless Sea with the controller? I've got the former and the latter is on my list, it'd be lovely to have them unlocked to play via pad.

Sunless Sea has a great community config I use. I remember it had a fancy name, and with a bit of tweaking, it's basically golden.

deadfolk

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes (often) selecting to browse community configs for a game just brings up the loading animation and it never goes anywhere?

When this happens, it seems to happen continuously, and I'm unable to get it to work at all. Other times it works.

Nabs

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes (often) selecting to browse community configs for a game just brings up the loading animation and it never goes anywhere?

When this happens, it seems to happen continuously, and I'm unable to get it to work at all. Other times it works.

I had that problem for a while. The problem here was that it was trying to download profiles like Workshop updates, and I had downloads restricted to a certain part of the day. It took me 2 months to figure that out. Good luck.

Does anyone here have experience with sending back their Steam Controller for a replacement? It's been about four days since I sent it, and Valve has yet to get back to me. Do they usually let you know once they've received it, or do they not notify you until they send it back? I don't mean to sound impatient, I'm just a bit worried. It's been a good while without any sort of response. I'd love to think that they're just sifting through a lot of controllers lately, but I have no way to confirm that.

As someone with 100+ hours logged, I consider Terraria completely unplayable with a standard controller, but even just trying it with the default setup for the Steam controller it was around 85% there. I think with some of the more recent features like the touch regions and whatnot you could probably get it perfect now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got the tilt workin in bit trip beat!! It's just like the wii original!

Has anyone had luck getting the controller to work in Final Fantasy 14? I tried setting up a config, but none of the controller inputs are registering in game. Mouse input works fine, however.

Nzyme32

Hmm, having a bit of a frustrating time with Gyro drift. Wasn't an issue until some time a few weeks ago. After about an hour or two there is slight drift. Occasionally it can go away quickly but often I find it won't automatically correct so I have to spend a minute in the config section setting it to always on for it to autocorrect, then return to normal. I've actually just switched gyro off for now.

Sunless Sea works great. I'm using my own bindings based off the top rated one from a while back. Might publish it eventually

Does anyone here have experience with sending back their Steam Controller for a replacement? It's been about four days since I sent it, and Valve has yet to get back to me. Do they usually let you know once they've received it, or do they not notify you until they send it back? I don't mean to sound impatient, I'm just a bit worried. It's been a good while without any sort of response. I'd love to think that they're just sifting through a lot of controllers lately, but I have no way to confirm that.

Yeah - but I still haven't actually sent my one back since I never received the boxes to return it. I think since I was an early adopter they wanted to make sure I had a working solution so they sent the replacement out pretty quick. I helped them work out some issues but the main one was a hardware issue. They tried to send a new controller out but ran into some issue the support guy didn't understand, so he sent it out personally by fedex priority. Got to the uk with 3 days. Total time from reporting the issue to getting the controller was 19 days

Oreoleo

Hmm, having a bit of a frustrating time with Gyro drift. Wasn't an issue until some time a few weeks ago. After about an hour or two there is slight drift. Occasionally it can go away quickly but often I find it won't automatically correct so I have to spend a minute in the config section setting it to always on for it to autocorrect, then return to normal. I've actually just switched gyro off for now.

There's an option in BPM to calibrate the controller on a flat surface which I believe fixes this.

Agreed. like how you can use the steam + right bumper to take a screen shot.

I think they'll open that up alongside the ability to edit bpm control configuration in general, but it would be nice too if they could allow you to stack multiple modifier functions on a single button or pad.

shockdude

To be fair, I haven't put extensive time into a platformer (less than an hour or so in Shovel Knight) but I adjusted the overlaps slightly and it worked perfectly for me.

I've put a lot more time into it as the menu navigation/weapon selection buttons in 3D games and those all worked on I believe default settings.
wait you can adjust the overlaps? how?

As a menu navigator & weapon selector, the DPAD is more than sufficient.
Thing is I'm trying to play bullet hell games with the DPAD because why not. I can tell it's possible, but it requires both practice and a good config, since any movement in the wrong direction will cause death.
F7908A248D1CD640FFA0D5EAB7B8BB4334D7C3A3

Oreoleo

So does this actually make all games playable with a controller?

Outside of something designed with a specific peripheral in mind like Rocksmith, yeah it really does. If the game supports m+kb or a controller, it'll work. Using it for old PC games like System Shock or Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines that were never intended to be used with a controller is a revelation.

Azax

Does anyone have this experience when starting bpm for the first time the controller doesnt work properly? I need to start it up 2-3 times before it works 100%

Top Bottom