• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Mechazawa

HOLY FUCKING COW DID DESKTOP MODE ALWAYS RETAIN OUR CONTROLLER SETTINGS?

I thought BPM was necessary for controller configs to take, but all my setting seem retained through desktop mode after fucking around a bit in Dragon's Dogma. I played through that entire campaign thinking I had to boot up BPM every time I wanted to play DD:DA, what the fuuuuuuck.

Raytow

It's a pitty that Tomb Raider doesn't work well with keyboard + gamepad. I'm using a pure keyboard and mouse + gyro aiming setup and it works really well. Too bad the analog stick has only 8 directions, though, because it makes the plataforming a little bit harder that with a gamepad setup.

Weird. It's working for me.

Emulating kb+mouse? tried emulating controller and it doesn't work, overlay won't work either.

Nabs

I thought BPM was necessary for controller configs to take, but all my setting seem retained through desktop mode after fucking around a bit in Dragon's Dogma. I played through that entire campaign thinking I had to boot up BPM every time I wanted to play DD:DA, what the fuuuuuuck.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember, and the new beta makes it so you don't even need the overlay.

shockdude

It's been like that for as long as I can remember, and the new beta makes it so you don't even need the overlay.
wait really? I had the impression that you need the overlay for game-specific settings and that without the overlay you only got the desktop bindings...?

Nabs

Unai

I'm liking the top Tomb Raider KB/M config so far. I just put Walk on the analog stick (inverted outer ring), and Jump on the right grip.

Almost the same, except jump is on the left grip and dodge on right grip. A is ENTER because of menu navigation in the camp fire.

Emulating kb+mouse? tried emulating controller and it doesn't work, overlay won't work either.

I'm using keyboard and mouse, but emulating the controller worked as well. The overlay is working for me.

It was always like that, even in the beta before release. Big Picture Mode is only needed to configure the game. You still have to have the overlay active even in desktop mode, though, so games where the overlay doesn't work are still a hit and miss. Also, the touch menu requires Big Picture Mode.

Lingitiz

Even though Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't supposed to work with a mix of KB/M and controller, the layout i'm using that sets mouse look on using left trigger doesn't seem to have any problems. Strange but hey if it works it works.

Mechazawa

It was always like that, even in the beta before release. Big Picture Mode is only needed to configure the game. You still have to have the overlay active even in desktop mode, though, so games where the overlay doesn't work are still a hit and miss. Also, the touch menu requires Big Picture Mode.

Utterly insane. I can't believe I never figured that out.

This pretty much resolves my last major hangup with the controller.

Unai

Even though Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't supposed to work with a mix of KB/M and controller, the layout i'm using that sets mouse look on using left trigger doesn't seem to have any problems. Strange but hey if it works it works.

Can you walk while aiming?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I tried it last night in ROTTR, first as a normal gamepad, but I found the camera to be too slow even with the maximum sensitivity from the game settings. So I switched the right pad to mouse and I had no troubles yet with this combination, except for changed button prompts. Also, clicking on the right pad for survival sense feels so much better than clicking on a normal stick.

Does anyone have any experience getting the Steam Controller to not conflict with x360ce?'

I discovered that my fightstick does not work in the Street Fighter V beta when the Steam Controller dongle is plugged in, probably because the Steam Controller also overrides the xinput DLL, which is how x360ce works. Weirdly enough, the *bing* indicating that x360ce is active does play while the Steam Controller is plugged in, suggesting that the x360ce DLL was loaded, but the controller was still unresponsive.

If this cannot be fixed, then perhaps Valve could add an option to disable the SC on a per-game basis, so that I wont have to unplug the dongle when I want to play SFV or other games requiring x360ce.

I have had the controller couple of months now and today was the first time I tried mode switching and the gyro on The Witness and both worked... pretty brilliantly actually.

viveks86

I love this controller for The Witness. Feels so satisfying to draw lines with the track pad and flick it at the end so it goes racing to the finish. The whole game is playable with the left and right trackpad alone!

Seems to be fine on my end.

Did you have it before? I've literally never experienced it. Wonder when it happens.

kinn

The onscreen KB doesnt work in browsers. Its works on the desktop but not in a browser window.

Nevermind,working again now.

Lingitiz

Aiming in Rise of the Tomb Raider using mouse emulation and gyro feels so damn good. Headshotting with the bow is really easy, intuitive and adds a lot of precision you can't get with a stick.

Man, how is it that gyro aiming works so well for you all? I just can't seem to do it. My brain isn't wired right, I guess. :(

Edit: My biggest beef with the controller is that I can't seem to manage precise aiming in fps/tps. Meeeeeh.

Unai

Aiming in Rise of the Tomb Raider using mouse emulation and gyro feels so damn good. Headshotting with the bow is really easy, intuitive and adds a lot of precision you can't get with a stick.

No just the aiming, but even moving the camera and a 180 it's much better using mouse emulation than using a real stick. Too bad camera sensitivy is so low in this game, otherwise Mouse Joystick a very good second option to keep 100% of the gamepad layout.

Veal

Ucchedavāda;193653777 said:
Does anyone have any experience getting the Steam Controller to not conflict with x360ce?'

I discovered that my fightstick does not work in the Street Fighter V beta when the Steam Controller dongle is plugged in, probably because the Steam Controller also overrides the xinput DLL, which is how x360ce works. Weirdly enough, the *bing* indicating that x360ce is active does play while the Steam Controller is plugged in, suggesting that the x360ce DLL was loaded, but the controller was still unresponsive.

If this cannot be fixed, then perhaps Valve could add an option to disable the SC on a per-game basis, so that I wont have to unplug the dongle when I want to play SFV or other games requiring x360ce.

I agree with this!

Ucchedavāda;193653777 said:

Not a fight stick but a related issue. Both keyboard and mouse are disabled during the BIOS screen which is kind of annoying when you want to edit some configs.

Nabs

The "Sensible" Tomb Raider config is so on point. It does what KingSnake was talking about by maintaining controller prompts while giving you precise mouse/gyro aiming.

Lingitiz

Anyone get this to work with The Division? I have the Steam beta and no community setups seem to be showing. Also when I add my own it just seems totally busted. Button presses are completely wrong (i.e. press b and it presses a).

Mechazawa

Anyone get this to work with The Division? I have the Steam beta and no community setups seem to be showing. Also when I add my own it just seems totally busted. Button presses are completely wrong (i.e. press b and it presses a).

I have it running fine in The Division. Didn't do anything crazy to get it set up, just using a custom template that I use for effectively all TPS/FPS' that I play.

Lingitiz

I have it running fine in The Division. Didn't do anything crazy to get it set up, just using a custom template that I use for effectively all TPS/FPS' that I play.

Weird. Going to verify my install and see if anything's up.

Edit: nvm got it. Just had to redownload the beta steam client for whatever reason. Must have been a bug.

Widge

I found Sunless Sea unplayable in the end. The UI was so tiny that I couldn't even read it, the sensitive mouse pointer didn't stand a chance. I'd love to report on actual gameplay performance but the unreadability caused me to quit before I even got in a boat.

Nzyme32

I found Sunless Sea unplayable in the end. The UI was so tiny that I couldn't even read it, the sensitive mouse pointer didn't stand a chance. I'd love to report on actual gameplay performance but the unreadability caused me to quit before I even got in a boat.

Sunless Sea is in dire need of a font size option, and it's not easy to figure out how you're supposed to play it, but man, that writing.

The UI can only be improved by reducing the resolution to either 1366x768 or 1280x720 depending on TV size. Since there is no UI scaling option and text sizes, this is as good as it gets but looks perfectly fine on our TV when doing this. This is a hardly a game where IQ needs to be king.

As for controls - use "Delicious Zee Captain Controls" which are well thought out. Mouse sensitivity can be adjusted to suit taste, but I'm happy with that guys bindings. The left pad as steering controls is amazingly a great idea, as if it is the actual Ships Wheel by using a scroll wheel setup

deadfolk

The Division seems to be one of the few games that allows simultaneous gamepad and mouse/kb.

Not often I have cause to say this, but...nice one Ubi!

The Division seems to be one of the few games that allows simultaneous gamepad and mouse/kb.

Not often I have cause to say this, but...nice one Ubi!

I'm glad it works, but it's imperfect. You can't change grenade types or use emotes if the right pad is set to mouse. I've janked together a solution using mode shifting, but even then it only works for changing one D-pad menu.

Unai

I've noticied I get a permanent massive frame rate drop when I use the Touch Menu in Dragon's Dogma, like 40% or so. Does anyone else have performance issues in this or other games when using the touch menu?

Edit: My google-fu says it's a common issue but I'm not on the beta anymore, though, so maybe it was fixed.

Widge

The UI can only be improved by reducing the resolution to either 1366x768 or 1280x720 depending on TV size. Since there is no UI scaling option and text sizes, this is as good as it gets but looks perfectly fine on our TV when doing this. This is a hardly a game where IQ needs to be king.

As for controls - use "Delicious Zee Captain Controls" which are well thought out. Mouse sensitivity can be adjusted to suit taste, but I'm happy with that guys bindings. The left pad as steering controls is amazingly a great idea, as if it is the actual Ships Wheel by using a scroll wheel setup

I'll have another go.

I wonder if resolution can solve my UI issues with things like Planetside 2. I'll take a hit to 720 or similar if it means I can actually play it.

God bless the Morrowind overhaul and UI scaling on that. I must check back to see if that is Steampad awesome.

Nzyme32

I'll have another go.

I wonder if resolution can solve my UI issues with things like Planetside 2. I'll take a hit to 720 or similar if it means I can actually play it.

God bless the Morrowind overhaul and UI scaling on that. I must check back to see if that is Steampad awesome.

For lots of older games without scaling, this is the solution. Helps with Civ V which I also play at 1366x768. From as far back as I am with the TV, the difference in IQ is barely noticable, but the text and UI size is much better.

For Sunless Sea, the Gazette is almost the full size of the screen, so it is really nice to read. With the "Delicious Zea-Captain Controls" you can just open and close it with the back button.

Top Bottom