• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

hepburn3d

Just wanted to say for anyone curious. I bought the controller on release. I was switching between it and the Xb360 controller for a while. I'm now purely steam controller.

IMO it's the best controller ever made. The accuracy, customisation and support is miles ahead of anything else. It's biggest flaw is its learning curve but then the best views are the hardest to climb.

Raytow

Just wanted to say for anyone curious. I bought the controller on release. I was switching between it and the Xb360 controller for a while. I'm now purely steam controller.

IMO it's the best controller ever made. The accuracy, customisation and support is miles ahead of anything else. It's biggest flaw is its learning curve but then the best views are the hardest to climb.
Still having problems with mine, that's why my xbox360 pad is still in the puter, can't get used to the right "pad" as camera in tps, tried mimicking an actual pad with the outer edge speed/deadzone setting, but feels awkward.

Mikeside

I'm trying to use the controller for GTA V, but I'm finding using the right pad for camera movement to be a bit awkward.
Any suggestions on how to make it shine?
My copy is from Rockstar Social, not Steam, so I can't look at profiles that already exist :(

Suggestions for Witcher 3 also greatly appreciated!

deadfolk

I'm trying to use the controller for GTA V, but I'm finding using the right pad for camera movement to be a bit awkward.
Any suggestions on how to make it shine?
My copy is from Rockstar Social, not Steam, so I can't look at profiles that already exist :(

Have you tried looking for community profiles? They are now supported for non-steam games.

Nabs

Still having problems with mine, that's why my xbox360 pad is still in the puter, can't get used to the right "pad" as camera in tps, tried mimicking an actual pad with the outer edge speed/deadzone setting, but feels awkward.

I'd recommend using either mouse or mouse joystick. The others just don't feel as good.

Layell

You can change the touch pad to mouse region for games like Mario Galaxy. Just disable cursor snap back, and you can push it away by touching the edge of the pad. You may have to experiment with the size of the mouse region, but you'll probably want it to fill the screen.

Thanks I haven't played too much with the mouse region, with the left pad hold a button when touched combined with Dolphin hiding the cursor whenever the button is not touched I am feeling quite happy with my setup.

Mikeside

Have you tried looking for community profiles? They are now supported for non-steam games.

I looked but there wasn't anything showing up.
I'm happy with pretty much every control for GTA other than camera movement, which I think I just need to spend some time tinkering with.
I'm looking to try and get a good mix of precision and the ability to turn around very quickly, but I thought somebody might have already done the legwork!

deadfolk

I'm happy with pretty much every control for GTA other than camera movement, which I think I just need to spend some time tinkering with.
I'm looking to try and get a good mix of precision and the ability to turn around very quickly, but I thought somebody might have already done the legwork!

Yeah, I think there's something about how steam matches non-steam games. There's no way there are no community profiles for GTAV. It appears that steam matches based on the name you give the shortcut.

Maybe try some variations on the name 'Grand Theft Auto 5', 'Grand Theft Auto V' etc. and look for community bindings.

Unai

Try Mouse Joystick for camera control. IMO trying to mimick an actual stick is just plain horrible.

dangeROSS

I took the plunge and got one of these the other day. It truly was awkward trying to use it for the first few hours. It's started to click though and it seems pretty great. Started getting used to it and making changes to configs and it's pretty rad. I do have a question though: Has anyone else experienced mild motion sickness from it? I noticed things can kind of herky jerky for me and it causes some issues. I had this same feeling trying to use a trackball for gaming. Maybe it just takes additional time to adjust and also not trying to play rapid pace games like Team Fortress 2 right off the bat.

riflen

I took the plunge and got one of these the other day. It truly was awkward trying to use it for the first few hours. It's started to click though and it seems pretty great. Started getting used to it and making changes to configs and it's pretty rad. I do have a question though: Has anyone else experienced mild motion sickness from it? I noticed things can kind of herky jerky for me and it causes some issues. I had this same feeling trying to use a trackball for gaming. Maybe it just takes additional time to adjust and also not trying to play rapid pace games like Team Fortress 2 right off the bat.

Yes, using this controller can make me a little queasy sometimes. I'm not usually prone to that. I find that the reason is the latency between input and response. In mouse mode, the default smoothing filter setting is too high and can cause me to feel nauseous after prolonged use. The smoothing filter adds latency, so knocking it down a few steps is enough to prevent this problem for me.

dangeROSS

Yes, using this controller can make me a little queasy sometimes. I'm not usually prone to that. I find that the reason is the latency between input and response. In mouse mode, the default smoothing filter setting is too high and can cause me to feel nauseous after prolonged use. The smoothing filter adds latency, so knocking it down a few steps is enough to prevent this problem for me.

Thanks. I messed around a bit with smoothing, thinking that adding more smoothing might lead to less jerky movement and thus less issues. I'll try lowering it and seeing if that helps.

Nabs

New firmware released:

An update to the Steam Controller's firmware has been released. You must be in the Steam client Beta and running Big Picture mode to receive the update.

Update notes:
- Fix for jittery joysticks
- Fixed bug where gyro prevented controller from turning off

RedSwirl

Decided to make my own Fallout config from scratch. Basically I tried to emulate the Xbox layout with the keyboard buttons so I could get mouse aim. So far I think it's working pretty well, but I had to do a couple weird things like a mode shift to turn the left pad into the scroll wheel. I'm still not sure what to do for weapon select since I have favorites mapped out for 1-9. Right now I'm just using the keyboard in combination.

For Witcher 3 I'm no longer using mouse-like joystick but just mouse for the right pad. I think it works alright.

Really, one of the main reasons I got the Steam controller is because I wanted to combine console control schemes with mouse input.

TheRed

Fuck yeah it is. I'm not joking when I say to people it was the best gaming purchase I made last year. Even more than The WItcher 3 which exceeded all of my expectations! That's how much I love this controller. I've played and enjoyed the act of playing every game more since I got this controller than I have in a while. It feels like my gaming quality of life jumped up with it.

Unai

So... I'm having a crash problem with Steam overlay in Dragon's Dogma, so I decided to plugin in my good old Xbox One Controller and disable the overlay (and thus the Steam Controller) while I solve the issue and... Oh my good, I had almost forgotten how much camera control with an analog stick is shitty. Seriously.

I'll just deal this issues by saving every 3 minutes and keep using the Steam Controller. I can't go back anymore.

Nabs

Dragon's Dogma feels good with the controller. I decided to go with a gamepad + mouse setup. I put a d-pad on the right pad (shift mode) with 1-4 mapped so I can use important hotkeys (lantern, heals) on the fly. The gyro really helps with aiming the bow.

RedSwirl

Touch menu.

Wow. That's kind of a revelation. Too bad you have to have BPM on to use it. BPM is kinda unnecessary with the Steam Controller to be honest. Otherwise, this configuration I've made feels better than anything I've used for Fallout 4 so far. It really does feel like it has the advantages of both joystick and mouse with neither of their weaknesses.

I'm sure Valve will eventually work out Steam Controller configuration UI for the regular Steam client.

derFeef

Dragon's Dogma feels good with the controller. I decided to go with a gamepad + mouse setup. I put a d-pad on the right pad (shift mode) with 1-4 mapped so I can use important hotkeys (lantern, heals) on the fly. The gyro really helps with aiming the bow.

Cool, can't wait to dive in, did you upload your setup?

deadfolk

Decided to make my own Fallout config from scratch. Basically I tried to emulate the Xbox layout with the keyboard buttons so I could get mouse aim. So far I think it's working pretty well, but I had to do a couple weird things like a mode shift to turn the left pad into the scroll wheel. I'm still not sure what to do for weapon select since I have favorites mapped out for 1-9. Right now I'm just using the keyboard in combination.

Touchpad as scroll wheel works for you in Fallout 4? I tried it a while ago, and for some reason it didn't work. Was fine in other games.

Other than that, it sounds like your mapping is probably very similar to mine. What was annoying is that there are a couple of places where a single gamepad button is split into two different keyboard bindings, so you cannot do a true 1:1 equivalent.

hepburn3d

Holy hell! The controller now works in administrator mode!!! That's huge for me. Love that it goes into lizard mode with a beep.

I love you Valve

Someone should make one of those sparkly Snoop gifs that says "Use mouse joystick" whenever someone says they can't get used to right stick control. No other gamepad comes even close.

Unai

I did exactly that. In this game mouse feels way better than Mouse Joystick (or even a real joystick). The only difference is that my touch menu is in the left pad. Pad right grip is the run button just because I neved liked clicking the stick to sprint. My gyro is trigger by the left bumper, and this works very well for my strider at least.

Layell

Having some interesting times with Omikrom which SE released for free, saw there were no configs for it and decided to test one out.

Unfortunately it seems once you've run the game once it thinks your graphics card doesn't have enough memory (lol) and you need to run it in XP compatibility mode.

Problem is now the steam controller doesn't seem to work with that. Any ideas gaf?

KoolKing

Having some interesting times with Omikrom which SE released for free, saw there were no configs for it and decided to test one out.

Unfortunately it seems once you've run the game once it thinks your graphics card doesn't have enough memory (lol) and you need to run it in XP compatibility mode.

Problem is now the steam controller doesn't seem to work with that. Any ideas gaf?

That happened to me last night. Also messed with my desktop resolution which made it impossible to quit out of the game, even in Task Manager. After restarting my PC, I just ran the "Runtime" executable in the Omikron directory and the game ran while also recognizing the controller.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
People using the left pad as a dpad. Do you always keep your thumb on it and just move around? Or do you lift and then put back down for each press? Trying to find the best way to use this.
Also do you use the click necessary option or just the touch part?

emptyroom

Neo Member
About ready to chuck this thing in the garbage. Can't for the life me figure out how to get the left joystick to function as move for fps games. Steam overlay and in game config are correct. Maybe it's broken?

Nabs

I did exactly that. In this game mouse feels way better than Mouse Joystick (or even a real joystick). The only difference is that my touch menu is in the left pad. Pad right grip is the run button just because I neved liked clicking the stick to sprint. My gyro is trigger by the left bumper, and this works very well for my strider at least.

I'm with you hating sprint click, I switch that out whenever I can. I actually put jump (might change this down the line) and LB on the grips, I may have to put sprint on LB now.

Crayon

Did anyone else try my dummy haptics setup from page 95? I've been playing platformers with it for a week now and I'm convinced it's superior to valve's standard press to click setting.

Oreoleo

About ready to chuck this thing in the garbage. Can't for the life me figure out how to get the left joystick to function as move for fps games. Steam overlay and in game config are correct. Maybe it's broken?

Set it as a directional pad and bind each direction to WASD, or have the whole controller emulate an Xbox controller and set it to joystick move (selecting the gamepad template should do this automatically). MOST games don't support simultaneous keyboard and gamepad inputs so make sure you have the Steam controller using one or the other, not both.

If you go into BPM, select the gear icon in the top right corner, select "Add / Test", select your controller and then select the "Support" button you can test every button to see if it's responding or not.

Crayon

People using the left pad as a dpad. Do you always keep your thumb on it and just move around? Or do you lift and then put back down for each press? Trying to find the best way to use this.
Also do you use the click necessary option or just the touch part?

On physical cross shaped pads, I keeps my thumb down, on physical disc shaped pads I lift my thumb. I like both and these days slightly prefer the disc shaped pad.

If the left touchpad is set to touch only, the lifting thumb technique is better for me and that's what I have been using since day 1. But last week I started experimenting with a setup that reuires a click, and can represent the button placement with haptics and also surface selective buttons to touch only.

I've been testing this for the last week and It's the best solution I've found so far. For most of my 2d games, I have the horizontal axis of the dpad set to touch and the vertical set to click. I detail the setting in a long post on page 95. I've uploaded samples for volgar, freedom planet, they bleed pixels, and gigantic army all named "invisible gamepad experiment".

emptyroom

Neo Member
Set it as a directional pad and bind each direction to WASD, or have the whole controller emulate an Xbox controller and set it to joystick move (selecting the gamepad template should do this automatically). MOST games don't support simultaneous keyboard and gamepad inputs so make sure you have the Steam controller using one or the other, not both.

If you go into BPM, select the gear icon in the top right corner, select "Add / Test", select your controller and then select the "Support" button you can test every button to see if it's responding or not.

Thanks in the add/test there were 4 steam controllers listed and none of them were accessible so I unplugged the dongle and restarted my PC, working now.

Surprised with how well it handles shooters

Nabs

Go here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Omikron:_The_Nomad_Soul and scroll down to the dgVoodoo Wrapper portion and follow those instructions.

Let me know if you need any help.

Oreoleo

Thanks in the add/test there were 4 steam controllers listed and none of them were accessible so I unplugged the dongle and restarted my PC, working now.

Ah yeah this happens to me somewhat frequently as well, not sure what the cause of it is. For future reference I believe you can just restart Steam rather than do a full reboot of your PC to clear those phantom controllers showing up.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Serious question, how are you supposed to grip this controller? Do the index fingers go on the triggers or the bumpers?????

Crayon

Serious question, how are you supposed to grip this controller? Do the index fingers go on the triggers or the bumpers?????

For me the whole thing is way more comfortable with the index fingers on/over the bumpers. The grip (fatigue), the angle of the pads and the reach to the buttons are all improved when holding it that way.

Oreoleo

I keep mine on the triggers and then use the middle section of my index to hit the outside edge of the bumpers as needed. Tried to do 4 fingers on top (index on bumpers, middle on triggers) when I first got the controller but it was too unnatural for me.

For me the whole thing is way more comfortable with the index fingers on/over the bumpers. The grip (fatigue), the angle of the pads and the reach to the buttons are all improved when holding it that way.

Keeping my index fingers on the bumpers causes a little strain to me, like I'm making a peace sign. But I have long fingers and don't have any problems reaching the buttons so to each his own.

Mrbob

For Witcher 3 I'm no longer using mouse-like joystick but just mouse for the right pad. I think it works alright.

Really, one of the main reasons I got the Steam controller is because I wanted to combine console control schemes with mouse input.

I agree and mouse joystick is inferior to just using the regular mouse setting. My hope is to one day be able to use mouse setting without the ui changing on screen prompts to keyboard.

Nabs

I keep mine on the triggers and then use the middle section of my index to hit the outside edge of the bumpers as needed. Tried to do 4 fingers on top (index on bumpers, middle on triggers) when I first got the controller but it was too unnatural for me.

Same here. I find that the grips are way more important than bumpers anyway. The controller kind of sits in my hands, rather than me having to apply much pressure to grip it.

RedSwirl

Touchpad as scroll wheel works for you in Fallout 4? I tried it a while ago, and for some reason it didn't work. Was fine in other games.

Other than that, it sounds like your mapping is probably very similar to mine. What was annoying is that there are a couple of places where a single gamepad button is split into two different keyboard bindings, so you cannot do a true 1:1 equivalent.

Did you forget to assign the circular motions (or other inputs) to the middle mouse scroll? That's what happened to me on my first try.

Also, I had to do a mode shift to turn the analog stick (emulating WASD) into... another analog stick to emulate the hold breath function the way it's done on console.

Crayon

Keeping my index fingers on the bumpers causes a little strain to me, like I'm making a peace sign. But I have long fingers and don't have any problems reaching the buttons so to each his own.

That may be a critical difference as I have pretty small hands. The buttons feel like a real reach downwards when my index fingers are on the triggers and i'm choked up more on the grips.

Top Bottom