• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Lingitiz

I'm going to use it primarily for 3rd person games. Rise of the Tomb Raider being the first game I play with it.

Use the "Sensible" setup by Irish_Hawk, it's fantastic. Holding left trigger switches to mouse control with gyro and it feels really great.

Also make sure you're on the Steam beta client since they push updates pretty often.

Use the "Sensible" setup by Irish_Hawk, it's fantastic. Holding left trigger switches to mouse control with gyro and it feels really great.

Also make sure you're on the Steam beta client since they push updates pretty often.

Will do.

I just hope this controller doesn't take me to

SUPLEX CITY

if I don't click with it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of ups and downs, with occasional "holy shit this thing is awesome" until finally it will kind of click.

I'm afraid this didn't really happen for me. I ended up basically ditching it and switching back to m/kb and 360 controller. Mostly because I don't like the design of the controller itself and don't really find it comfortable to hold but that's my problem. If you like it/get used to it though I'm sure it's amazing, really like what Valve are doing with it.

Lingitiz

I'm afraid this didn't really happen for me. I ended up basically ditching it and switching back to m/kb and 360 controller. Mostly because I don't like the design of the controller itself and don't really find it comfortable to hold but that's my problem. If you like it/get used to it though I'm sure it's amazing, really like what Valve are doing with it.

It takes a lot of patience for sure. I've had a ton of moments where I say "fuck this" and then take out my XB1 controller instead. But curiosity always gets the better of me and I end up fiddling with the SC a bit more until I find something I like. Definitely an up and down experience.

Oreoleo

I've noticied I get a permanent massive frame rate drop when I use the Touch Menu in Dragon's Dogma, like 40% or so. Does anyone else have performance issues in this or other games when using the touch menu?

Edit: My google-fu says it's a common issue but I'm not on the beta anymore, though, so maybe it was fixed.

This was indeed improved significantly in a recent beta update.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It takes a lot of patience for sure. I've had a ton of moments where I say "fuck this" and then take out my XB1 controller instead. But curiosity always gets the better of me and I end up fiddling with the SC a bit more until I find something I like. Definitely an up and down experience.

Absolutely but it's great to see Valve do it regardless if I like it or not. Nice to see things be pushed and experimented with :)

Durante

I've noticied I get a permanent massive frame rate drop when I use the Touch Menu in Dragon's Dogma, like 40% or so. Does anyone else have performance issues in this or other games when using the touch menu?

Edit: My google-fu says it's a common issue but I'm not on the beta anymore, though, so maybe it was fixed.
I use the touch menu in DD and haven't noticed anything like that. I am in the beta though.

Pachimari

I've had a ton of moments where I say "fuck this" and then take out my XB1 controller instead.

This is the feeling I have had most of the time. That I'll just use my Elite controller. But I want to give the Steam controller another go, as I haven't touched mine for a few weeks.

Do Gyro controls have some learning curve or do they just click with you?

I've downloaded some profiles with them enabled and i absolutely hate it but i hear its a more reliable way to aim.

Whats the deal?

I just got this the other day and I have a question. When you use the d-pad circle part is it suppose to be making that awful sound? It's like a rattling noise inside the controller that follows your movement. It was doing it with the analog stick and mouse pad but I accidentally dropped it and now they both stopped doing it (guess that's a good thing?).

Kind of not liking it to be honest...Most of the time I'd rather just use mouse and keyboard simply because it is easier to get adjusted to or using a controller because that setup works perfectly fine. With the steam controller, you kind of have to fiddle around with it first and then test it out. And even then, a standard controller could do the job better. Maybe I'm not playing the right games or something.

I just got this the other day and I have a question. When you use the d-pad circle part is it suppose to be making that awful sound? It's like a rattling noise inside the controller that follows your movement. It was doing it with the analog stick and mouse pad but I accidentally dropped it and now they both stopped doing it (guess that's a good thing?).

Kind of not liking it to be honest...Most of the time I'd rather just use mouse and keyboard simply because it is easier to get adjusted to or using a controller because that setup works perfectly fine. With the steam controller, you kind of have to fiddle around with it first and then test it out. And even then, a standard controller could do the job better. Maybe I'm not playing the right games or something.

All of the haptics are fully configurable, but probably not after breaking them by dropping the controller. Also, Steam controller will outperform a dual analog pad across every genre.

Widge

I've downloaded some profiles with them enabled and i absolutely hate it but i hear its a more reliable way to aim.

Whats the deal?

I wonder if you have to have the mentality and reactions to shift between stick and gyro at will.

Unai

About the gyro, I don't know. I have years of experience with motion controllers so it's not new to me.

That's debatable.

Whats the deal?

Honestly the gyro gets in the way when I play. I'm far more accurate just using the trackpad with acceleration turned on so I can swipe fast when I want to move my aim far and swipe slow for fine-tuned aiming. With gyro on everytime I give the controller the slightest touch my view jerks around and other than that it just feels wrong and inaccurate. I liked it in Uncharted Golden Abyss but it requires too much finicking here.

atr0cious

Whats the deal?
Yes they do, but I cut my teeth on Splatoon. You have to get used to using your arms more.

Jinkies

Everyone who uses the controller eventually gets over this hump and can't go back. There are dozens or maybe hundreds of posts like this, so stick it out for a couple weeks.

Durante

Honestly the gyro gets in the way when I play. I'm far more accurate just using the trackpad with acceleration turned on so I can swipe fast when I want to move my aim far and swipe slow for fine-tuned aiming. With gyro on everytime I give the controller the slightest touch my view jerks around and other than that it just feels wrong and inaccurate. I liked it in Uncharted Golden Abyss but it requires too much finicking here.
Yeah, same here. To be fair, I haven't played any high-skill FPS yet (and would probably just stick to the mouse for something like that), but for normal aiming I find the trackpad in trackball mode more than sufficient.

Unai

By the way, I got so used to low friction trackball mode that that's always the first thing I change when I download a setting and it's on medium or high friction.

Nabs

I waited about a month before experimenting with gyro. I wanted to get good with the trackpad first, and I was also having a bit of trouble understanding it. Give it a try in a game with good mouse controls. You don't want to use it to replace the trackpad, just to assist you with some tougher shots. And don't leave it on, make sure there's a trigger (like right pad touch/left trigger pull).

i didn't try the gyro on any game till i had at least a month with the controller. In fact, the first time i tried it was with Nabs's Bionic Commando profile and, yeah, it's pretty great but im glad that it's a toggle. It was kinda intimidating at first but then, with some practice, it felt like second nature

Oreoleo

I waited about a month before experimenting with gyro. I wanted to get good with the trackpad first, and I was also having a bit of trouble understanding it. Give it a try in a game with good mouse controls. You don't want to use it to replace the trackpad, just to assist you with some tougher shots. And don't leave it on, make sure there's a trigger (like right pad touch/left trigger pull).

Yup, someone a page or two back said they found it hard to track enemies moving horizontally (or maybe that was the Steam controller subreddit?) and that's where I find it the most useful. Keeping steady tracking on moving objects.

There's a gyro profile for Darkest Dungeon. Works so well.

I didn't know you had this silly thing!

I keep having a problem where my brain doesn't want to use the gyro and pad simultaneously. I'll activate it (left trigger full pull), and keep trying to track targets that are moving much further than I anticipate, resulting in my moving the controller a ridiculous distance. I still love it, though, I never would have though gyro would be so useful.

I have an issue with mine reverting to what seems to be keyboard only mode when my machine has been on a while (possibly in sleep mode at points). This breaks using another controller via in-home streaming too and restarting steam seems to be the only fix.

Anyone else had this? I can tell when it's in this mode as 4 controllers show in the controller menu in steam settings.

Oreoleo

I have an issue with mine reverting to what seems to be keyboard only mode when my machine has been on a while (possibly in sleep mode at points). This breaks using another controller via in-home streaming too and restarting steam seems to be the only fix.

Anyone else had this? I can tell when it's in this mode as 4 controllers show in the controller menu in steam settings.

Yeah, not sure what the cause of it is. Seems like it might have something to do with the way the controller turns off? I have mine set to dim the LED on the Steam logo but when it's acting up the LED stays at full brightness, suggesting it's being recognized as a different controller entirely.

Only happens maybe once every couple of days, and restarting Steam is a minor inconvenience so I've learned to live with it. Hopefully it gets sorted out eventually though.

deadfolk

I'm glad it works, but it's imperfect. You can't change grenade types or use emotes if the right pad is set to mouse. I've janked together a solution using mode shifting, but even then it only works for changing one D-pad menu.

Works for me. The emotes and grenades are on the left pad in the bindings I'm using (the top one on Steam at the time). I assume that's the same as the same as the gamepad setup. Tap and hold (left or right grenade, I forget which...down for emotes) and you get a selection wheel. Just choose a direction and release. Played for a few hours, using nothing but the SC.

Tried the PS4 version briefly, afterward, but couldn't hit a thing gave up.

Works for me. The emotes and grenades are on the left pad in the bindings I'm using (the top one on Steam at the time). I assume that's the same as the same as the gamepad setup. Tap and hold (left or right grenade, I forget which...down for emotes) and you get a selection wheel. Just choose a direction and release. Played for a few hours, using nothing but the SC.

Tried the PS4 version briefly, afterward, but couldn't hit a thing gave up.

When you say "choose a direction and release," are you doing that with the right pad? Do you have the right pad set as mouse input?

The issue I'm having is this: I can bring up the radial menus just fine, and use mode shifting to make the right pad a directional analog stick, but when I release the left pad to make my selection it the mode shifting turns off which returns the "right stick" to the center position before it gets a chance to register the selection. Am I missing some obvious solution? Without the mode shifting I can't select anything on the radial.

terrible

Banned
I use the gyro constantly in shooters. I use it to corner check (quickly looking to the left or right when entering a room) and for fine tune aiming. Just using the touch pad isn't good enough imo.

Mechazawa

When you say "choose a direction and release," are you doing that with the right pad? Do you have the right pad set as mouse input?

The issue I'm having is this: I can bring up the radial menus just fine, and use mode shifting to make the right pad a directional analog stick, but when I release the left pad to make my selection it the mode shifting turns off which returns the "right stick" to the center position before it gets a chance to register the selection. Am I missing some obvious solution? Without the mode shifting I can't select anything on the radial.

I'm doing exactly what you've done and it's working fine for me.

The solution to get it working consistently though, at least for me, was to turn trackball friction to low. That way I was able to flick my thumb in one direction and it would keep "rolling" long enough in that direction until I released off on the left trackpad.

Oreoleo

New beta update!

Steam said:
The Beta has just been updated with the following changes:

Steam Controller
Improved upload time for controller configurations
Fixed an issue where simultaneous joystick and left-touchpad caused flickering input

Short but sweet, both of these things were annoyances of mine.

So what's the rechargeable battery/charger combo to buy? I'm getting a bit tired of buying AA batteries.

I'm doing exactly what you've done and it's working fine for me.

The solution to get it working consistently though, at least for me, was to turn trackball friction to low. That way I was able to flick my thumb in one direction and it would keep "rolling" long enough in that direction until I released off on the left trackpad.

Hm, interesting. What do you have it mode-shifting to, then? You don't get friction settings when it's set to analog movement.

So what's the rechargeable battery/charger combo to buy? I'm getting a bit tired of buying AA batteries.
Everybody says eneloop, so that's what I bought, plus a smart charger. I've nothing to compare it to, but no complaints so far. I decided to get the normals rather than 'pro' which are for high-consumption devices. I didn't really think the Steam controller counted as such, and the pro version has a shorter life expectancy overall.

Does anyone else find they avoid using the grips for anything? I hold the controller by squeezing its very bottom edges into the heels of my palms, giving my thumbs the top-down access to the trackpads that Krejlooc advocated for early on. This leaves my last two fingers free, but too far away from the grips to use them. They reach that far, but can't exert a clicking pressure once they get there, without adjusting my grip every time. As a consequence I always configure against them. If I need to change my grip, I'd love some advice on how!

Unai

Everybody says eneloop, so that's what I bought, plus a smart charger. I've nothing to compare it to, but no complaints so far. I decided to get the normals rather than 'pro' which are for high-consumption devices. I didn't really think the Steam controller counted as such, and the pro version has a shorter life expectancy overall.

Does anyone else find they avoid using the grips for anything? I hold the controller by squeezing its very bottom edges into the heels of my palms, giving my thumbs the top-down access to the trackpads that Krejlooc advocated for early on. This leaves my last two fingers free, but too far away from the grips to use them. They reach that far, but can't exert a clicking pressure once they get there, without adjusting my grip every time. As a consequence I always configure against them. If I need to change my grip, I'd love some advice on how!

I usually avoid the face buttons in favor of the grips. I'm jumping and dodging in Tomb Raider with them for instance.

Thanks, I'll check out the eneloop batteries!

I use the grips a ton. I couldn't tell you how, exactly, the way I'm holding the controller that makes it easy to use, I just have no issue with it. For me the paddle buttons are so valuable because it allows me to do two things:

1. Keep my finger on the right (camera) track pad so I can look around while doing press-and-hold actions. Face buttons can't do that.

2. Doubling up buttons. You can make the paddles more versatile than traditional face buttons by mapping 2 inputs to them.

I usually avoid the face buttons in favor of the grips. I'm jumping and dodging in Tomb Raider with them for instance.

Great example. Being able to dodge and retain camera control is super helpful in a lot of games.

Nzyme32

The opposite for me. The grips are used pretty much with everything. In dark souls I have the right grip as dodge and have the left grip as a mode shift for the dpad on to the right touch pad so I don't need to move my thumbs mid combat. For FPS in general they are crouch and jump or basically anything that prevents me having to regularly move my thumbs away from movement and aiming.

Holding the controller feels pretty natural for me. My thumbs naturally point down to the pads, the bottom corners of the controller are nicely against my palm, ring finger is at the lower corner of the grips and middle fingers are also on the grips, while my index fingers just switch between triggers and shoulders easily thanks to the way they are angled. Works great for me anyway

Unai

2. Doubling up buttons. You can make the paddles more versatile than traditional face buttons by mapping 2 inputs to them.

Can you give me an example of a situation this would be useful?

The opposite for me. The grips are used pretty much with everything. In dark souls I have the right grip as dodge and have the left grip as a mode shift for the dpad on to the right touch pad so I don't need to move my thumbs mid combat. For FPS in general they are crouch and jump or basically anything that prevents me having to regularly move my thumbs away from movement and aiming.

About Dark Souls, I'm using something that someone discovered in this thread sometime ago. If you mod-shift the click on the right pad to a DPAD and also on the click of the right pad as a whole you have the camera locking, you don't even need to hold a button to have 5 commands in the right trackpad (4 dpad directions + center to lock on). After that you adjust the dead zone to increase the center position size where only the camera lock will work.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
By the way, I got so used to low friction trackball mode that that's always the first thing I change when I download a setting and it's on medium or high friction.

Trackball is always the first thing I switch on too for mouse driven games. Damn near a necessity for me as well. Feels so good.

Can you give me an example of a situation this would be useful?

In The Division, A button is used to take cover/sprint to a different cover. Pressing the left thumb stick is sprint when you're not in cover. Double-binding these to the paddle works because they are context-sensitive inputs that rarely overlap. This is the case with a lot of inputs in games, where it's not actually necessary to have things mapped to different buttons.

Perhaps a better example that I haven't tried but just thought of: In Shadow of Mordor (or the Arkham games I suppose), the fight system involves using the face buttons separately, but then pressing multiple buttons simultaneously to do special moves. You can map these to a paddle to pull them off more easily.

thefil

Got one of these and been playing through The Witness with it. It's a good intro game for the controller. I actually really like momentum on turning the camera, though I turned off the annoying haptic click.

Holding the controller feels pretty natural for me. My thumbs naturally point down to the pads, the bottom corners of the controller are nicely against my palm, ring finger is at the lower corner of the grips and middle fingers are also on the grips, while my index fingers just switch between triggers and shoulders easily thanks to the way they are angled. Works great for me anyway

Yep. The feeling has been dawning on me that I've been missing out, but my fingers just aren't in the right place. I use my first and middle fingers to permanently cover the bumpers & triggers respectively, so maybe that's something I can change. I'd like to ... Get to grips with it ... ... ...
BAM DAD JOKE

About Dark Souls, I'm using something that someone discovered in this thread sometime ago. If you mod-shift the click on the right pad to a DPAD and also on the click of the right pad as a whole you have the camera locking, you don't even need to hold a button to have 5 commands in the right trackpad (4 dpad directions + center to lock on). After that you adjust the dead zone to increase the center position size where only the camera lock will work.

Or this, jeez. I've made some configs I'm very happy with & Dark Souls is one of them. Back to the drawing board we go.

Got one of these and been playing through The Witness with it. It's a good intro game for the controller. I actually really like momentum on turning the camera, though I turned off the annoying haptic click.

Did you try it with the haptics on low? I can't imagine playing without it.

The Steam beta (February 2nd) brings us a few more improvements:

• Improved upload time for controller configurations
  • Fixed an issue where simultaneous joystick and left-touchpad caused flickering input

Improved upload times are nice, but I haven't run into the other problem, myself.

Lork

Anyone know a good config for Dragons Dogma?
I just use the gamepad scheme with mouse-like joystick. The control layout in that game is already very well thought out, so there aren't really any glaring flaws to be solved by the paddles, and whatever extra speed you might get from using true mouse controls isn't worth the UI jitter. If you're a bow user you might try turning on gyro when left bumper is held down.

Edit: The "d-pad" should be set to radial without overlap, as it's used exclusively for menus and hotkey-like commands.

Top Bottom