• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nabs

I think Mouse controller is a must in DD. The game just controls so well with it. You can always remove that part of the UI if it bothers you.

I use a bow character and find that the left grip works really nicely as bumper replacement.

deadfolk

American Truck Simulator is doing something I've never seen before:

When you select 'Configure Controller' in Steam, it just gets stuck on a loading page, and the game goes into an 'updating' <-> 'ready to play' loop. This is before even launching the game.

Very weird indeed.

Unai

I think Mouse controller is a must in DD. The game just controls so well with it. You can always remove that part of the UI if it bothers you.

I use a bow character and find that the left grip works really nicely as bumper replacement.

I just use the gamepad scheme with mouse-like joystick. The control layout in that game is already very well thought out, so there aren't really any glaring flaws to be solved by the paddles, and whatever extra speed you might get from using true mouse controls isn't worth the UI jitter. If you're a bow user you might try turning on gyro when left bumper is held down.

Edit: The "d-pad" should be set to radial without overlap, as it's used exclusively for menus and hotkey-like commands.

I also use the right trackpad as a mouse. In this game it fells much better than mouse joystick. Actually I have a modifier in the left grip to turn the right trackpad into mouse joystick, so I can use it to rotate my characters in the menus and things like that. Also, gyro activated on the left bumper.

wihio

American Truck Simulator is doing something I've never seen before:

When you select 'Configure Controller' in Steam, it just gets stuck on a loading page, and the game goes into an 'updating' <-> 'ready to play' loop. This is before even launching the game.

Very weird indeed.

Having the same problem-- cannot configure the controller at all, stuck on the 3 growing bars screen. When I cancel configuration, I can see I have a download active (icon near top right of BPM), I check it and ATS is flickering Downloading/Ready to Play constantly.

So, my controller came in about a week earlier than expected, and I've been fiddling around with it. So far, I quite like it. The actual ergonomics are similar to the PS4 controller (and thus a bit of a step back from the Xbone when it comes to reaching for the lower controls) except for the way the controller naturally curves the tips of your thumbs towards the trackpads, which I didn't even notice at first, which is good. All the buttons and the pads are nice and responsive, though some of them are a bit loud for my tastes when pressed.

As for how it actually handles, I haven't quite gotten the settings I best like to say for sure when it comes to FPS/TPS games (my main test subjects being TF2 and Warframe, which both delightfully have button prompts/icons for the controller), but it's certainly a step up from dual-analog, and the gyro helps a bit. But the mouse-region setting for certain games is absolutely fantastic, I've been testing it with CrossCode, and while it does take some getting used to, I'm loving it so far. Hell, I'm actually using the right pad as the fire button, it just feels way more intuitive than the shoulder, which is hilarious, since using the stick clicks on a regular controller for anything essential or the most used functions is basically unthinkable.

So, pretty good so far, and I'm eager about the possibilities. The grip buttons alone are absolutely fantastic, using the face buttons for jumping just seems so... Archaic, now. Now, if only there was direct Unity integration...

Foxyone

Aside from the usual playing PC games on a couch or old PC games, have you guys found specific instances where you think the Steam controller is better and / or more convenient than another controller or m + kb? Was playing Dead Space 2 and the button mashing sequences were making me think that I could just use turbo to handle such things and avoid all the button mashing. Same thing with button mashing in Fable Anniversary to spam the Summon experience glitch; really saves my finger / hand getting tired. Was thinking it could even be handy with combos in fighting games because putting multiple actions on one button applies those actions in the order that they were input, potentially decreasing the number of needed button presses to pull off a combo.

Do you guy have any other specific instances where you find the controller more handy than other options?

deadfolk

Having the same problem-- cannot configure the controller at all, stuck on the 3 growing bars screen. When I cancel configuration, I can see I have a download active (icon near top right of BPM), I check it and ATS is flickering Downloading/Ready to Play constantly.

Quote from a dev on the Steam forum:

When we enabled Steam controller config shortly after ATS launch, we reused the configuration id from ETS2 as the control layout is the same. Thi apparently caused problems because when the Steam tries to download it, it fails as it is for a different game. The configuration was updated with a new one so it will hopefully fix the issue.

It hasn't fixed anything though.

Oreoleo

Is there any recommended profile for The Witness? Or should I just go with the most downloaded?

Does The Witness have much in the way of controls? Seems like a great game to take some time and get the mouse feeling just right so you can set up a template for yourself for future games and not have to rely on community profiles anymore. But that's just me.

Does The Witness have much in the way of controls? Seems like a great game to take some time and get the mouse feeling just right so you can set up a template for yourself for future games and not have to rely on community profiles anymore. But that's just me.

There are very few controls in The Witness. It worked almost flawlessly with the default controller config. I ended up changing the right pad to mouse input and the left paddle to the A button for convenience.

What is the best control scheme for 3rd person shooters? I'm using the recommended in Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it takes like three swipea of the trackpad for the crosshair to go where I want it to.

wihio

Quote from a dev on the Steam forum:
<snip>

It hasn't fixed anything though.

Seems to be fixed now. For me anyway.

It didn't fix anything for me, still have the Workshop Content download/update flicker... I suppose I should try dropping Steam beta and see if that helps..

edit: left Steam beta and it still does the download flicker... guess its more keyboard play for me!

Nabs

What is the best control scheme for 3rd person shooters? I'm using the recommended in Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it takes like three swipea of the trackpad for the crosshair to go where I want it to.

The best type of control scheme is always mouse and keyboard, but controller emulation is there if you want to keep controller prompts. I recommend checking out the second most popular config, it gives you mouse/gyro aim when you hold the left trigger, making it much easier to aim.

The best type of control scheme is always mouse and keyboard, but controller emulation is there if you want to keep controller prompts. I recommend checking out the second most popular config, it gives you mouse/gyro aim when you hold the left trigger, making it much easier to aim.

I've tried using the recommended as a base, and changing the "right stick" to a mouse, but I can't turn when I'm moving. Only when I'm stationary. Ugh, this controller is so annoying sometimes.

Nabs

I've tried using the recommended as a base, and changing the "right stick" to a mouse, but I can't turn when I'm moving. Only when I'm stationary. Ugh, this controller is so annoying sometimes.

It has nothing to do with the controller, those are limitations with the game you're playing. Use the Sensible config for Tomb Raider, it uses mouse-like joystick when walking around, and mouse when you aim.

Astra

It didn't fix anything for me, still have the Workshop Content download/update flicker... I suppose I should try dropping Steam beta and see if that helps..

edit: left Steam beta and it still does the download flicker... guess its more keyboard play for me!

Not working for me, either. Tried deleting and reinstalling the game, as well. No good.

deadfolk

Not working for me, either. Tried deleting and reinstalling the game, as well. No good.

Really strange. I'm on the beta, and it's working flawlessly for me now. I can even access the controller settings from within the game.

Unai

Aside from the usual playing PC games on a couch or old PC games, have you guys found specific instances where you think the Steam controller is better and / or more convenient than another controller or m + kb? Was playing Dead Space 2 and the button mashing sequences were making me think that I could just use turbo to handle such things and avoid all the button mashing. Same thing with button mashing in Fable Anniversary to spam the Summon experience glitch; really saves my finger / hand getting tired. Was thinking it could even be handy with combos in fighting games because putting multiple actions on one button applies those actions in the order that they were input, potentially decreasing the number of needed button presses to pull off a combo.

Do you guy have any other specific instances where you find the controller more handy than other options?

Plenty. Most cases for me is that it combines the good felling of playing with a gamepad and removes the necessity to deal with camera and aiming using an analog stick something that I have always thought awful. The secondary case is about the grips, so I can for instance move the camera and jump at the same time.

Lingitiz

The combination of analog movement with the mouse control + gyro in Rise of the Tomb Raider IMO takes positives from both with minimal tradeoffs. Obviously mouse control is still better, but moving Lara with the thumbstick feels better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It looks like Valve's prepping some sort of XCOM 2-related promo that will see the Steam Controller discounted by 40%. The sub page (view in a private window if the Steam Controller isn't available in your region) says "Save 40%" but no pricing info has been set, so it's not purchasable as yet.

deadfolk

It looks like Valve's prepping some sort of XCOM 2-related promo that will see the Steam Controller discounted by 40%. The sub page (view in a private window if the Steam Controller isn't available in your region) says "Save 40%" but no pricing info has been set, so it's not purchasable as yet.

It would be nice if that meant the game has native support.

It does

LfzaJppl.png

Keinu

I've been using the steam controller for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. Was really pleased with my setup and I have been using it since december. Today after a steam update I got a prompt to update my controller too. I said yes, but now my config for the game is gone and I cannot find it. I get other peoples config up, but my own is simply gone. I tried to look for it locally, but couldn't find it. Any tips of what I can do? Really annoying if I can't depend on the configs being available after updates (especially with no warning).

Edit: It worked itself out. I selected a community profile, quit and restarted steam and then my old original profile was available again. Strange.

wihio

I've never really gotten on with gyro for steering. I seem to be all over the place.

Shooting / aiming? Amazing. Steering, nope. Not sure why - seems like a perfect match.

Gave it ~3 hours using the gyro for steering and I would say I am about 80-85% as accurate when parking, but 90-95% when hauling. That's not too bad! I had to tweak the deadzone (make it slightly larger), fiddle with the stick response curve, and adjust the sensitivity, but I am starting to get to a comfortable setup.

I admit I do occasionally turn off the gyro (let go of left paddle) and use the stick for the more difficult driving times. The ability to choose on the fly is pretty nice!

I do agree with you though; controller as a wheel is not as good as I would think. Perhaps if the controller was mounted or held in place by something so you wouldn't have to "float" the controller all the time would make all the difference.

Maybe I just need more practice!

Unai

Gave it ~3 hours using the gyro for steering and I would say I am about 80-85% as accurate when parking, but 90-95% when hauling. That's not too bad! I had to tweak the deadzone (make it slightly larger), fiddle with the stick response curve, and adjust the sensitivity, but I am starting to get to a comfortable setup.

I admit I do occasionally turn off the gyro (let go of left paddle) and use the stick for the more difficult driving times. The ability to choose on the fly is pretty nice!

I do agree with you though; controller as a wheel is not as good as I would think. Perhaps if the controller was mounted or held in place by something so you wouldn't have to "float" the controller all the time would make all the difference.

Maybe I just need more practice!

The wii remote had third party mounts. Maybe if this get popular it will have something similar.

Multi-ângulo-de-suporte-de-volante-para-Nintendo-Wii-jogo-de-corrida.jpg

Oreoleo

Sweet baby Jesus.

That or some kind of rumble/force feedback would help a ton (though saying that I guess you could turn on haptics for the gyro... Hm). As it is the controller isn't really ideal for sim racing games.

derFeef

Dying Light problem - the analogue stick stops working on every move if you use mouse on the right pad, you have to push it twice to activate it again :( Any solution for this while still keeping mouse control?

deadfolk

...interesting. I've never seen mappings have different modes like that (Geoscape, Menus/Base, Tactical). I'm assuming that's something that's possible because they're actually using the SDK.

Only four hours to unlock here.
But 8 to download. :(

Oreoleo

...interesting. I've never seen mappings have different modes like that (Geoscape, Menus/Base, Tactical). I'm assuming that's something that's possible because they're actually using the SDK.

You are correct. TF2 has the same thing.

Dying Light problem - the analogue stick stops working on every move if you use mouse on the right pad, you have to push it twice to activate it again :( Any solution for this while still keeping mouse control?

Are you using the analog stick in joystick mode? Might be an issue with the game switching back and forth between m+kb and gamepad inputs. Most don't handle it well.

Unai

You are correct. TF2 has the same thing.

I remember another game that had that too. It's probably CS:GO or Portal 2, I don't know.

This is the greatest controller ever made.

Truer words were never spoken.

Iorv3th

I don't think the game works well switching between keyboard/mouse and controller. You might try using just gamepad mode and setting the right stick to mouse emulation.

kinggroin

Banned
Damn straight, only thing that holds it back a bit is the need for steam overlay and big picture mode to set up.

Yep. I can't wait to set custom profiles for that.

Also, I NEED for the built-in browser to get up to speed with regards to how it handles shitty flash based sites. My PC and steam controller have allowed me to consolize the experience, but the only thing I still get up for are the stupid cable TV sites that are content but don't let you Chromecast. So I end up using Chrome with a mouse and keyboard (Xfinity being the biggest culprit).

Netflix works WONDERFULLY on the steam controller however.

impact

Banned
What's the disadvantage to the Steam Overlay? Does it impact performance?

yea, at least in CS:GO it does

But that's a game where I'm pissed if my framerate drops below 200.

Also because it requires overlay, it means all non-Steam stuff you have to add to Steam for it to work. I'd rather not add my emulators to Steam, but that's the only way to play with the controller. Kinda shit.

Plagman

Neo Member
The bundle (including discount) will still be available after release, just for a limited time; it's not a pre-order exclusive.

Top Bottom