• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

Just got the controller, and I'm loving it. But I'm having issues with control bindings not sticking. For example: I just made one for DOOM, and when I went back into the controller configuration, it loaded up an older one with my personal configuration nowhere to be seen. I've had it happen with other games too... anyone know what's causing that?

I also can't seem to remove my own personal configurations. They just come back after they're saved...

me0wish

Just got the controller, and I'm loving it. But I'm having issues with control bindings not sticking. For example: I just made one for DOOM, and when I went back into the controller configuration, it loaded up an older one with my personal configuration nowhere to be seen. I've had it happen with other games too... anyone know what's causing that?

I also can't seem to remove my own personal configurations. They just come back after they're saved...

Everything is working fine for me, make sure you aren't using steam beta, most issues I see is caused by it.

Sophia

Everything is working fine for me, make sure you aren't using steam beta, most issues I see is caused by it.

I actually upgraded *TO* the steam beta to see if that would fix the issue, to no avail. :\

It does seem to be saving/removes the controller configurations, but several minutes later...? I'm not sure. Either way, this is completely ruining the otherwise awesome experience. Now I've got duplicate configurations for Phantasy Star Online 2 showing up. :\

http://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/913471708586959741

MJaRUWo.png

Cool, thanks.

Using it in the tutorial now - seems pretty great and I love the pre configured keypad on right grip for hotkeys. I do wish the free can on left pad was smoother

me0wish

I actually upgraded *TO* the steam beta to see if that would fix the issue, to no avail. :

It does seem to be saving/removes the controller configurations, but several minutes later...? I'm not sure. Either way, this is completely ruining the otherwise awesome experience. Now I've got duplicate configurations for Phantasy Star Online 2 showing up. :

Just tested it out, good news is, neither your controller or steam is faulty. Seems more like a syncing issue, took 5 minutes for my configurations to get uploaded/deleted. Don't worry though, just enjoy the controller and the issues will be fixed soon.

Sophia

Just tested it out, good news is, neither your controller or steam is faulty. Seems more like a syncing issue, took 5 minutes for my configurations to get uploaded/deleted. Don't worry though, just enjoy the controller and the issues will be fixed soon.

I see. Huh... wish they'd at least mention that instead of reverting the configuration unknowingly. Or keeping the old profiles up.

dickroach

is the (top) community configuration for KOTOR good? I wanna give this game another go (had it on the original XBOX) but really don't wanna play keyboard/mouse

Is it possible to connect two Steam Controllers wirelessly to the Steam Link? I'm grabbing a Steam Link today for Grip and am considering buying a second controller if I can connect both.

Having a difficult time getting the controller to work reliably with XCOM 2 because of the story up splash screen taking me out of steam. Ideas?

EDIT: disabling RTSS has helped, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Do you mean strictly through the built-in receiver or just with dongles? Because I'm not sure the former can handle two.

I meant the built in receiver, but if the fix is the dongle that's fine. Reading it doesn't support the XBO wireless receiver is annoying, as I'd rather just pay the $25 than buy a new controller but whatever.

Thanks for the help guys.

Unai

Do you mean strictly through the built-in receiver or just with dongles? Because I'm not sure the former can handle two.

I'm not really sure if multiple controllers work without the dongle, but since a single dongle can handle multiple controllers and all controllers come with a dongle it shouldn't matter much unless he's already using all USBs ports for something else I guess.

Clunker

Yea, I came to this thread specifically report that XCOM 2 has excellent steam controller support, if it hadn't been mentioned already. It's just as simple and effective as you'd hope.
This bundle surprised me today, and I just impulse bought it - can't wait! I'm setting up a new Alienware Alpha as my tv pc and this was the final piece of the puzzle.

Conveniently telling myself I simply have to buy XCom 2 today at release to unlock this discount is just a bonus. Excited to hear it plays well, as the one thing that's had me hesitant about the Steam controller is my general dislike of having to fiddle with settings a ton.

Gattsu25

Banned
I think the Steam Controller works like a damned charm in Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (I uploaded my config, look for the [G25] tag) and can't dream of not using it without that controller.

How is the native XCOM2 support?
What's the disadvantage to the Steam Overlay? Does it impact performance?
It crashes on my PC somewhat frequently (within 10 minutes if I'm broadcasting, streaming) and group voice chat is a fucking nightmare through it.

Edit: whoops, read this as Big Picture Mode for some reason...sorry, rushing before work.

Sophia

Does Valve offer refunds for the controller? If so, I think I'm gonna get one. The actual hardware is brilliant and works fantastically when I can set something up... but I never expected the controller configuration to be so unwieldy and broken. The options frequently revert at random back to whatever it was before I made a change, and the only way I can get it to sensibly save is to constantly keep exporting the configuration to my own personal configurations.

And then there's broken descriptions like this, on both the regular and beta client:

EDIT: Yeah I just saw the configuration for Need For Speed change from two different configurations, including a configuration I removed from my profile binding. This is insane.

dangeROSS

This bundle surprised me today, and I just impulse bought it - can't wait! I'm setting up a new Alienware Alpha as my tv pc and this was the final piece of the puzzle.

Conveniently telling myself I simply have to buy XCom 2 today at release to unlock this discount is just a bonus. Excited to hear it plays well, as the one thing that's had me hesitant about the Steam controller is my general dislike of having to fiddle with settings a ton.

I recently got an Alpha as well and I love using this with it. Fiddling with the settings isn't actually that bad with the controller. Once you get the hang of what changes what, it's pretty smooth to go in and adjust things.

I did a little experiment the other day - I've read that Steam Big Picture Overlay can affect games performance, and so I tried playing Team Fortress 2 the other day in the standard steam mode and things seemed to run much better then compared to Big Screen mode. As time goes on, is Valve going to lessen the demands of Big Screen mode on PC's or make a "lite" version that won't have as much of an impact on systems?

Zafir

Damn that bundle made me consider getting one of these. The shipping has turned me off though. £7 shipping, urgh.

Too used to every company offering free shipping in the UK.

Crap, I think the last update messed up my controller.

I'm not on the Beta updates and I just updated it the other day (changed my startup jingle!) but when I just wen to play The Witness again today it had reverted the controller configuration to a default 360 controller.

When I try to change it back to the one I liked (mouse on right pad, screenshot on right grip, nothing too fancy) it won't save now. So when I exit the game and go back into the controller configuration it reverts back to the 360 controller profile.

It also takes a LOT longer to edit a configuration now for some reason. It takes about 5-10 seconds to load into the screen to edit the controls.

Sophia

Crap, I think the last update messed up my controller.

I'm not on the Beta updates and I just updated it the other day (changed my startup jingle!) but when I just wen to play The Witness again today it had reverted the controller configuration to a default 360 controller.

When I try to change it back to the one I liked (mouse on right pad, screenshot on right grip, nothing too fancy) it won't save now. So when I exit the game and go back into the controller configuration it reverts back to the 360 controller profile.

It also takes a LOT longer to edit a configuration now for some reason. It takes about 5-10 seconds to load into the screen to edit the controls.

This is the same problem I'm having, except on mine the controller bindings stay until I try to go configure them. So if I change something, it works, but if I go back into the configuration, it reverts back. :\

Foxyone

I miss when everything was a lot faster. Why did they have to go and screw that up? Also, I was also having a repeatable issue where it wouldn't save new configs or recently changed, settings, but they either took a few min or the game closing to fix. All the new features are good, but the overlay went downhill.

Citizen K

I bought my controller like 2 weeks ago and now there's a offer for the controller and xcom 2 for £55?! What are my chances for valve to allow me to get in on this, I've never contacted steam support. Wish they had a live chat. I'm guessing its unlikely they'd do it?

This is the same problem I'm having, except on mine the controller bindings stay until I try to go configure them. So if I change something, it works, but if I go back into the configuration, it reverts back. :\
The whole reason I got out of the beta was to avoid having things messed up for me. Last time the beta updated (when I was on it) it erased ALL of my game categories and I had to spend a good 15-30 minutes getting everything set up how I like it. Steam used to do that with every other update so I was so fed up I got out of the Beta entirely.

I guess I'll be going back to my DS4 controller (all my 360 controllers have stick drift) if I want to finish up The Witness. I was in the LAST AREA and had no issues with the Steam Controller up to this point.

Zafir

I bought my controller like 2 weeks ago and now there's a offer for the controller and xcom 2 for £55?! What are my chances for valve to allow me to get in on this, I've never contacted steam support. Wish they had a live chat. I'm guessing its unlikely they'd do it?

Probably unlikely, as the discount is on the controller, and not on the game.

I wouldn't mind £7 shipping since It's 15€ for me.

Urgh. :/

I actually ended up caving since I managed to get some steam wallet cards for a bit cheaper.

That said. Kind of worried with all the people complaining about binding issues on the controller. x.x

Oreoleo

I miss when everything was a lot faster. Why did they have to go and screw that up? Also, I was also having a repeatable issue where it wouldn't save new configs or recently changed, settings, but they either took a few min or the game closing to fix. All the new features are good, but the overlay went downhill.

Yeah this kinda sucks. Making frequent changes to configs when you first boot a game up and are trying to get a feel for things has become a bit of a burden. I think it started happening when they switched to saving personal configs to the cloud rather than just saving locally.

Yeah, I just went to play the new Talos Principle DLC, but the controls feel completely different. Camera controls are way more stiff, and several buttons were remapped into awkward positions.

daedalius

So every time I try to edit the "desktop controller configuration" and save my changes, it just hangs on "working" after I try to export it.

Does this even work in big picture?

So every time I try to edit the "desktop controller configuration" and save my changes, it just hangs on "working" after I try to export it.

Does this even work in big picture?

I think the "Working" part hangs on my everytime I use it: however the config gets properly saved for me if I just exit the overlay and turn the controller on/off

So I just got Battlefield 4 setup with this controller and it's unbelievably good with gyro aiming. Like I can't believe how awesome it is to be able to compete with people who are using KB/M setups. I'm not saying I'm better than them with it but I'm cracking top 5 on my team and my KD is above 1 into the close 2's with it on a consistent basis. Being able to play BF4 with all ultra settings on my big screen plus comfy couch and have the ability to do well is an awesome experience for me. I love this controller.

Lister

Banned
The only issue im having with the controller right now is that i need to export the configuration before settings get saved. Minor annoyance but i hope that gets fixed to where its working as it had orinally worked - changes would auto save to the profile as soon as you made them.

Other than that, this thing must have been crafted by the gods. My xbox one gamepad, which is awesome too mind tou, just sits collecting dust. I honestly have not found a game yet where i prefer it over the steam controller.

I'm playing xcom 2 with it, using a modified version of the official config and its been a great experience: I changed the base controls so that the left pad zooms in and out and the left shoulder turns the right pad into a touch panel for the various rooms. The tactical i changed so that the analog stick controls canera movement and left pad controls moving up down fkoors and rotating the view, while lwft grip turns analog stick into a zoom in and out control. Feels natural to me this way.

this latest update completely fucked my setup

i have the witcher3 on gog, and installed in steam as a shortcut. by default it downloaded and applies some shitty community profile now. whatever i change it to, the changes never actually apply and im stuck with that terrible profile applied

also it tells me to name my controller, set the brightness value of the light, etc when i enter big picture mode, but fails everytime i actually set the values and attempt to save them. wtf?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah dude new firmware update just wiped my config for the witness.

That is inexcusable bullshit, fuck that. I'm not even gonna play today because of this. I already spent 30min tinkering with the look sensitivity once. This was the one chance I had to sit down and play it and they wiped my config!! Amazing.

Foxyone

Firmware has been pretty terrible the last few days. For laughs I was trying to setup my controller so only the right side had controls so I could see how I did in Counter Strike with one hand, but it had issues keeping those settings and kept reverting back to normal.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah dude I'm trying to reconfigure my witness setting and it keeps reverting to the defaults everytime I go back to the config menu.

I've never been this angry. My time is so precious and I'm fucking pissed.

Zojirushi

What features do I miss if I opt out of the beta?

Those updates have been fucking with my shit for a couple months now, it's kinda annoying.

Over-Run

Hey quick question, how can I disable the overlay that comes with the Joystick camera setting? It's showing an overlay of an analogue stick whenever I move it.

AJLma

Those updates have been fucking with my shit for a couple months now, it's kinda annoying.

Nothing, it's better to opt out if you just want to boot up and play.

By being in the beta updates it seems like you're for sure to run into inconveniences from time to time.

Oreoleo

A lot of the biggest changes were added to the main client last week, so you wouldn't be missing much for the time being. The beta I believe has better support of games that have trouble with the Steam overlay currently, and a bug fix for trying to use the left pad and analog stick at the same time. Nothing major.

That or some kind of rumble/force feedback would help a ton (though saying that I guess you could turn on haptics for the gyro... Hm). As it is the controller isn't really ideal for sim racing games.
Wait, apart from haptic feedback on the trackpads the Steam controller doesn't feature any rumble whatsoever?

Oreoleo

Wait, apart from haptic feedback on the trackpads the Steam controller doesn't feature any rumble whatsoever?

There is no traditional rumble in the sense that there isn't a motor with a weight spinning around on its axis in the handles like in other controllers. But the Steam controller SDK allows the haptics to be used as a rumble if the developers of any given game program them as such. In practice I think there are very few games that use them in that way, yet.

I'm a noob PC gamer and never held this new controller in my hands. Is it truly the second coming for PC or would you say there's still some stuff an XB1 controller does better for some type of games that the Steam one doesn't do as well?

For example I can't imagine the Steam controller being a better option than a DS4 or an XB1 controller for 2D platformers. Playing Megaman Legacy collection with Steam's that lack a Dpad cannot be better than a traditional one, is it?

Oreoleo

I'm a noob PC gamer and never held this new controller in my hands. Is it truly the second coming for PC or would you say there's still some stuff an XB1 controller does better for some type of games that the Steam one doesn't do as well?

For example I can't imagine the Steam controller being a better option than a DS4 or an XB1 controller for 2D platformers. Playing Megaman Legacy collection with Steam's that lack a Dpad cannot be better than a traditional one, is it?

I guess it depends how much you value a good d-pad. Personally I have no problem using analog sticks for platformers so the omission of a d-pad doesn't really bother me at all. Some people in the thread have had great success using the left pad in place of one though (I haven't personally, but I also haven't put that much time into trying to figure it out since the analog stick works fine for me). But I'm sure there are others still (I'm tempted to use the word "purists") that find the lack of a true d-pad a real problem for certain games.

In general though, yes I do find the controller to be the "second coming" for PC gaming. I use it for practically everything now.

Top Bottom