• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Dumb little question- why is it that when I go to change the startup or shutdown sounds or the brightness of the steam button my Steam controller when using it via my Steam link, I can't hear or see any of the changes before hitting submit? Is that a known issue or do you just have to be hooked up to the host PC directly to see/hear those changes?

Blizzard

Banned
I wish games didn't need Big Picture Mode to configure the controller, but otherwise it's still pretty neat. I was at a LAN party tonight with a bunch of engineers, and out of maybe 20 people playing computer games, 3 brought Steam controllers, including me.

That's not a huge percentage, but it was cool to see 3 in such a small setting.

One of them said they initially hated it too, but grew to like it.

sk3

Banned
I wish games didn't need Big Picture Mode to configure the controller, but otherwise it's still pretty neat. I was at a LAN party tonight with a bunch of engineers, and out of maybe 20 people playing computer games, 3 brought Steam controllers, including me.

My first game with it was MGSV, after about 80 hours with the xb360 controller, and it was terrible. I find it is much better to start games fresh with just the steam controller. I've played the witness, xcom2, and tomb raider with only the steam controller and I'm really beginning to enjoy its flexibility.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's this rumble feature about? How does it work? I enabled it but I'm curious as to what it does, how it works, etc. I'm playing Danganronpa and I doubt rumble is a big thing in this game.

Unai

What's this rumble feature about? How does it work? I enabled it but I'm curious as to what it does, how it works, etc. I'm playing Danganronpa and I doubt rumble is a big thing in this game.

It will try to simulate the rumble of the xbox controller using the haptic of the pads.

Mechazawa

You actually don't need Big Picture mode anymore. You can just right click a game on the desktop client while the controller is on and see an option to configure it there.

I just ordered a Steam Controller directly from Valve. I play a lot of mouse-driven games so I thought it would be a worthwhile investment. I also have a 360 controller available and I'm wondering, would it be better to play everything with the Steam Controller, even stuff that plays fine with the 360 pad? Will I get the hang of the controller faster if I don't switch back and forth between it and the 360 pad?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just ordered a Steam Controller directly from Valve. I play a lot of mouse-driven games so I thought it would be a worthwhile investment. I also have a 360 controller available and I'm wondering, would it be better to play everything with the Steam Controller, even stuff that plays fine with the 360 pad? Will I get the hang of the controller faster if I don't switch back and forth between it and the 360 pad?
I haven't touched my 360 pad since I got my Steam controller.

It depends a lot on what you're playing. For me personally, I stick to the 360 controller for shooters and things that have native support for the 360 controller. It's not a good experience for shooters and third person stuff for me, but I guess that's mainly due to the fact that I haven't used a mouse and keyboard for game input since Half Life 2 released. So it will vary a lot depending on your gaming background and how you approach the controller.

But the Steam controller has great value in games like XCOM 2 and point & click games, the speed you can get for the mouse cursor makes it much easier to navigate around.

Nabs

The Steam Controller has completely replaced the DS4/360 for me. I can never go back to that right analog stick for aiming.

Oreoleo

Kinda the opposite for me, that "mouse like joystick" just can't quite get the precision down for me.

That's because you're using mouse-like joystick instead of trackball mode.

JQSAsfH.jpg

Zojirushi

He means pure mouse mode where it feels and outputs to the game like a trackball.

Got it. Well, unfortunately THAT is causing problems in so many games with the simultaneous Gamepad+Mouse input that I would hardly speak of "replacing PS360 pad".

It is nice when it works though, definitely.

Oreoleo

Got it. Well, unfortunately THAT is causing problems in so many games with the simultaneous Gamepad+Mouse input that I would hardly speak of "replacing PS360 pad".

It is nice when it works though, definitely.

I would suggest not using gamepad bindings then but hey.

FLAguy954

X-post from the Gears of War PC thread:

I decided to take the plunge since I'm was an avid GoW player back when I had my Xbox 360 (and $30 isn't a asking price).

My specs:
i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz
290X @ 1150/1400
1080p/122Hz Resolution
8 GB RAM

The 'occasional' hitching is pretty annoying but the games seems to be running over 60 fps in 1080p. I tried to play the game with my Xbone controller but it felt sluggish to me (I have been messing with the steam controller for the last few weeks). So I decided to change my Steam controller's desktop configuration to Mouse and Keyboard (WASD) and remap the in-game controls.

Holy shit. This franchise shines with mouse and keyboard controls. Way faster camera movement, I can roadie run without taking my thumb off of the track pad. It's a great way to play the game again after all these years :D.

Bentendo

I bought my STeam Controller a few weeks ago and I have been enjoying it. This morning, however, I tried turning it on and it is simply dead. Changed batteries, plugged it in via USB. Nothing. What are my options?

Zojirushi

Yes, I made my own MGSV config and played the game for 100 hours. It was great.

Huh. I tried a community config that had hundreds of users and it was pretty much unplayable for me because the menu and map were using buttons that weren't even mapped in the first place. Oh well.

Oreoleo

Huh. I tried a community config that had hundreds of users and it was pretty much unplayable for me

This is a common complaint. Seems like all the top configs are trash. After the 3rd or 4th game I gave up on em and just started making my own for every game and haven't looked back. I wonder how many people try those top configs, hate them, and then come away with a bad impression and stop using the controller, meanwhile giving a +1 to the config cause they don't try any others, leading other people to think it's good because it's at the top and how can so many people be wrong? It's like a negative feedback loop. Valve really needs to implement a rating system for configs or something.

Just played Dark Messiah Might and Magic. It's amazing how adaptable the controller is for. I just want to know why STEAM isn't allowing alternative button config for the triggers and ABXY buttons. It would also be nice to have a built in "hold" function since this game doesn't have toggled crouch.

In Counter Strike: Global Offensive, is there a way to lower mouse sensitivity when using a sniper rifle scope with the Steam controller? The zoom sensitivity setting in the keyboard/mouse section doesn't do anything with the controller, and I tried creating a mode shift for this, but got weird crosshair-jumping results that are hard to explain. I'm new to configuring the Steam controller, so please forgive me if this seems obvious.

Blizzard

Banned
You actually don't need Big Picture mode anymore. You can just right click a game on the desktop client while the controller is on and see an option to configure it there.
WHAT, I'll have to try this. Thanks. I thought the configuration and overlays wouldn't work for some reason.

In Counter Strike: Global Offensive, is there a way to lower mouse sensitivity when using a sniper rifle scope with the Steam controller? The zoom sensitivity setting in the keyboard/mouse section doesn't do anything with the controller, and I tried creating a mode shift for this, but got weird crosshair-jumping results that are hard to explain. I'm new to configuring the Steam controller, so please forgive me if this seems obvious.
I don't think you need mode shift. There should be a dampening setting somewhere, so you can start to press the triggers softly and get very precise aiming. Then when you let go, you get full sensitivity again.

WHAT, I'll have to try this. Thanks. I thought the configuration and overlays wouldn't work for some reason.
It'll now launch whatever piece of BPM it needs from the desktop instead of needing to launch BPM. In addition to the example above with controller configurations, you can activate the keyboard without needing a minimized BPM, and any game you launch from the desktop will run the BPM version of the overlay if you have the Steam controller on, so touch menus will work.

Sophia

I had this problem too. Somewhere in CS's configuration there's a sensitivity separate for being scoped in. Once I adjusted that, it was a lot better.

Nzyme32

Does anyone else have an issue where they have Steam open, turn on their controller, but nothing on the controller works except the guide button until you enter BPM. If I start the Controller before Steam is open, Lizard mode works fine, but as soon as Steam is open, it won't work with exception for the guide button. It's infuriating when you want to use the desktop client, but have to do the extra steps. I'm assuming it's just me since no one else has mentioned it... how typical!

Anyone trying out The Division with this? I worry about the same issue I had in Battlefront, which was the jittery mouse movement when using gamepad + high precision

I'm using it with The Division, and it works wonderfully. I did have to increase the smoothing slightly.

Good to hear - you don't happen to have battlefront to compare it with do you? Despite a steady frame rate in that game, camera movement with the controller was always jittery. Sounds like the Dividion handles simultaneous keyboard and mouse inputs better?

Good to hear - you don't happen to have battlefront to compare it with do you? Despite a steady frame rate in that game, camera movement with the controller was always jittery. Sounds like the Dividion handles simultaneous keyboard and mouse inputs better?

Naw, I passed on Battlefront. Division handles it wonderfully. The UI keeps controller prompts even when using a couple of KBaM bindings (mouse and keys). Gyro works fantastic, too.

Lister

Banned
Anyone trying out The Division with this? I worry about the same issue I had in Battlefront, which was the jittery mouse movement when using gamepad + high precision

Did you try adding a bit of smoothing in the Steam Controller panel? That usually gets rid of jitteriness for me. For some game sI don't have to add any, for some I have to add a bit.

Did you try adding a bit of smoothing in the Steam Controller panel? That usually gets rid of jitteriness for me. For some game sI don't have to add any, for some I have to add a bit.

I maxed out smoothing and it was still never smooth in Battlefront. Swiping always produced a stair step effect, drove me crazy.

I have my controller for about 2 months now, and while I really do like it I find myself pretty much using it for desktop navigation while on the couch, rather than for playing games. I pretty much default to my Xbox controller for controller-based games on the couch, and for mouse-driven games I just sit at my desktop as it's easier.

At the moment it feels like it's jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none in that it's simply not as intuitive as a real mouse & keyboard set-up for shooters and RTS games. And when it comes to something like Dark Souls, I just can't get the camera control to feel natural on the trackpad vs. a right-analogue-stick. Certainly, when Dark Souls 3 comes out next month, I'll be playing it with an Xbox One controller, to cut down on frustration.

I still like it though - and I'm getting a bit better at making my own profiles. Using the gyro to help with aiming has been a real eye-opener. I hope that as time goes by I'll get more and more to grips with it, as I dream of a future where I could be as proficient with this controller as I am with the others in their respective genres. Who knows?

Sophia

Greatest thing, brings it up in a little window like this:

0JOkXPg.png

Interesting. Is that a modified version of my own configuration (everything is identically named, including the key-bound swapped autorun) you have there? Curious to know what you changed. :eek:

Unai

I have my controller for about 2 months now, and while I really do like it I find myself pretty much using it for desktop navigation while on the couch, rather than for playing games. I pretty much default to my Xbox controller for controller-based games on the couch, and for mouse-driven games I just sit at my desktop as it's easier.

At the moment it feels like it's jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none in that it's simply not as intuitive as a real mouse & keyboard set-up for shooters and RTS games. And when it comes to something like Dark Souls, I just can't get the camera control to feel natural on the trackpad vs. a right-analogue-stick. Certainly, when Dark Souls 3 comes out next month, I'll be playing it with an Xbox One controller, to cut down on frustration.

I still like it though - and I'm getting a bit better at making my own profiles. Using the gyro to help with aiming has been a real eye-opener. I hope that as time goes by I'll get more and more to grips with it, as I dream of a future where I could be as proficient with this controller as I am with the others in their respective genres. Who knows?

Have you tried setting the right trackpas as "Mouse Joystick" in Dark Souls?

Can anyone help get this thing working with Garden Warfare 2? I added the game shortcut to steam, created a controller profile, and launched the game in big picture mode, but it doesn't work. I renamed the shortcut, could that cause problems?

Unai

Can anyone help get this thing working with Garden Warfare 2? I added the game shortcut to steam, created a controller profile, and launched the game in big picture mode, but it doesn't work. I renamed the shortcut, could that cause problems?

It's unlikely to be the shortcut name. When you press Shift + TAB, does it show the Steam Overlay?

vermadas

Make sure that Origin is not running when you launch the executable in Steam. It will start up automatically in the background. I have Origin set to quit automatically when I exit the game and have the Origin overlay disabled, though I'm not sure if the latter is necessary.

Make sure that Origin is not running when you launch the executable in Steam. It will start up automatically in the background. I have Origin set to quit automatically when I exit the game and have the Origin overlay disabled, though I'm not sure if the latter is necessary.
That's probably it, I'll make sure it's not running g and try again.

So if I have the uPlay copy of the Division, is there any way to access Steam Controller configs for it? I'm adding it to my library but it isn't popping up.

Anyone got any quick pro tips for a new steam controller owner?

I gave up waiting for Valve to release this thing in Europe (Norway) so i ordered one on ebay. Should get it tomorrow.

Top Bottom