• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

deadfolk

How's MGS 5 on the Steam controller these days? I seem to remember that on launch there were some issues reported. Has it since been resolved?

Bowl0l

Any suggestions for Windows 10 Pro x64 user?
Affects Metal Slug 1, 2, 3 and X.
I cannot move when i am shooting.
If i press up and shoot, i will shoot up once or twice and then it will shoot horizontally.

Doesn't happen to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

Controller firmware is up to date.

Any suggestions for Windows 10 Pro x64 user?
Affects Metal Slug 1, 2, 3 and X.
I cannot move when i am shooting.
If i press up and shoot, i will shoot up once or twice and then it will shoot horizontally.

Doesn't happen to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

Controller firmware is up to date.

For the Metal Slug games, you need to use a keyboard-based control scheme. The Steam controller's joystick emulation is buggy in those games, for some reason.

Anteater

finished max payne!

thanks for the config nabs!

man the game would've been like 10 times better if the weapon switching wasn't so fucking clunky.

oh Max Payne 2 has the same weapon switching system, mother fucker.

Shawsie64

Banned
hi guys, I have two PCs.. on my main I'm able to use the controller to install programs, use task manager, ect but on the HTPC the controller stops functioning, anyone have tips for getting it to work? I'm thinking its a UAC setting but I have them both set to minimum..

The Boat

Just got the controller, it's a bit overwhelming at first, but it seems awesome. Hell, with minimal fidgeting I was able to control Dark Souls 3 decently with no practice. Need to try something with aiming.

How's MGS 5 on the Steam controller these days? I seem to remember that on launch there were some issues reported. Has it since been resolved?

I made a config that I consider fantastic. Feels really natural despite using the keyboard and mouse input. I'll put it up for the community if you're interested.

I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles last night, using the Steam controller. The #1 community setup is great, except for the gyro stuff. I can't seem to get it to work right. Which is weird, because it works beautifully in every other game I have implemented it in. I even re-calibrated the controller, just in case. I'll have to make some modifications, I think. Or maybe it's just the way this game handles it.

Max_Po

Banned
I purchased this controller for 41.99 plus Tax CDN but I have to admit I really hate it.

The quality is pretty cheap compaing to DS4 and XboxOne Elite controller and I cannot get used to the mouse pad. The Thumb Stick placement feels awkward and the controller is all around not a replacement for what I have.

I have checked YouTube and found similar opinions.

Luckily I am sending mine back to Amazon.ca....

Nzyme32

Steam Controller stuff relating to the new Vulkan update in Doom:

How do I enable the Steam controller when playing DOOM?
Once DOOM is loaded, the title will automatically detect the presence of the Steam controller and adapt controls and button prompts to match. No additional configuration is needed to use the default controller profile.

When using the Steam controller, why can’t I rotate the automap with the right trackpad?
This is a known issue with the Steam Controller. An alternate control method can be used to rotate the map in the automap interface.

Shawsie64

Banned
doom 3 is fucking cool

everything is so fucking cool with this controller

Had a LAN at my house other week, 3 friends using M/KB, myself using Steam Controller, was top of leader board all night!.. Admittedly we are all 30 something 'Old Men' with sub par reflexes but It still felt great

Nerrel

I purchased this controller for 41.99 plus Tax CDN but I have to admit I really hate it.

Luckily I am sending mine back to Amazon.ca....

You really have to spend some time with it. And by time, I mean months. The trackpad is not an analog stick, and you can't expect to use it like one. You should use it for big camera turns, then use the gyro to do your fine aiming while you get used to the way the pad works. Even after getting used to the controller, each game has its own learning curve and tweaking period. If you're not patient enough to stick through that, then I guess you were right to sell it.

The advantage of going through all that work is that you can get controls far better than standard dual analog. You usually get out of the controller what you put into it. I started RE4 a few posts above and struggled with the controls, but after a few sessions I had a config that I consider to be nearly perfect, and it's way fucking better than any Xbox controller. An analog stick can't compare to the gyro and trackpad together, and the grips and dual stage triggers are common sense improvements over a normal pad. Then you've got the mode shifting, which often lets you use the buttons much more efficiently and keeps your thumbs focused on the major inputs. For instance- the analog stick does nothing when aiming in RE4, so I made it become the zoom in/out control when the trigger is held. I also made the normal action button turn into "reload" while aiming. My thumbs can do these extra actions without leaving the inputs the normally rest on- it's really cool to be able to do things like that.

I agree about the cheap buttons, but otherwise you really sold the controller short. I didn't like it much when I first got it either, but now I couldn't get by without it.

deadfolk

I made a config that I consider fantastic. Feels really natural despite using the keyboard and mouse input. I'll put it up for the community if you're interested.

I just uploaded it, it's called MGS: V - Perfect Controls. It's quite intuitive for me, but then I made it so it kind of has to. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks! I ended up not actually buying the game during the sale, but I'll definitely try out your config when I do grab it. It seems to go on sale regularly! :)

Durante

You really have to spend some time with it. And by time, I mean months.
I don't really agree. I preferred the controller within hours of first trying it.

Then again, despite using it for over a decade, I've always hated dual analog for camera control.

Sophia

I don't really agree. I preferred the controller within hours of first trying it.

Then again, despite using it for over a decade, I've always hated dual analog for camera control.

Yeah I picked up the controller very quickly myself. For some people it just clicks.

I think which game you try is a factor too. I wish Valve had set better defaults for Left 4 Dead 2, as that's a fantastic starting game but Valve made the sensitivity on everything too high.

When I bought the controller and tried it out on a few fps and tps games I was very disappointed. The first few hours were rough. Then I found a configuration that I felt comfortable with, I used it consistently and after a couple more hours it clicked for me. Trackball mode with low sensitivity and low friction is where it's at. The low sensitivity allows pinpoint aiming while low friction enables fast turns. When you get used to it you'll flick your finger across the pad to spin the virtual trackball and then put the finger down again on the pad to stop the roll of the trackball exactly when you want it. It's a bit hard to explain in words but it quickly becomes second nature. I am now way more accurate with the Steam Controller than I am with any normal controller and I haven't touched my 360 pad since I got the hang of the Steam Controller. It goes without saying that the controller is an absolute revelation for mouse-driven games on the couch, especially slower ones like Xcom, Civ, Battlefleet Gothic or Cities Skylines.

One last thing. Even after months of playing with the controller, the fact that I can play the original X-Com, Duke Nukem 3D and other PC classics with this device is still blowing my mind. And it works on the Windows desktop, perfect for controlling an HTPC. This thing is truly incredible.

One last thing. Even after months of playing with the controller, the fact that I can play the original X-Com, Duke Nukem 3D and other PC classics with this device is still blowing my mind. And it works on the Windows desktop, perfect for controlling an HTPC. This thing is truly incredible.

Yep, I use it as my primary input device for my PC and it's great. A few fit and finish tweaks and maybe a couple extra buttons on a Steam Controller 2.0 would basically make for the perfect "gamepad" for me.

Eusis

I kinda flip flop on some games but it can be either a matter of tradition or just wanting a normal D-Pad for stuff like item selection. It's amazing on FPS games that properly support it though like Borderlands and apparently Doom.

FLD

Is experimental rumble working for most of you guys? I remember it working fine for me when the update first came out a few months ago, but I just noticed it wasn't working anymore. Hasn't for a little while, now that I think about it. Not sure how long, though. I tried different games and messed around with the settings and I can't get it to work at all. Is this a known issue or something?

Aru

Steam Controller support is still broken on macOS? I'm using El Capitan and the controller is recognized as an X-Input one instead of Steam controller. Can't set any profile or change bindings. It sucks.

Unai

Steam Controller support is still broken on macOS? I'm using El Capitan and the controller is recognized as an X-Input one instead of Steam controller. Can't set any profile or change bindings. It sucks.

I remember people saying months ago that it was fixed. I can't speak for my own experience, though.

Veal

When I bought the controller and tried it out on a few fps and tps games I was very disappointed. The first few hours were rough. Then I found a configuration that I felt comfortable with, I used it consistently and after a couple more hours it clicked for me. Trackball mode with low sensitivity and low friction is where it's at. The low sensitivity allows pinpoint aiming while low friction enables fast turns. When you get used to it you'll flick your finger across the pad to spin the virtual trackball and then put the finger down again on the pad to stop the roll of the trackball exactly when you want it. It's a bit hard to explain in words but it quickly becomes second nature. I am now way more accurate with the Steam Controller than I am with any normal controller and I haven't touched my 360 pad since I got the hang of the Steam Controller. It goes without saying that the controller is an absolute revelation for mouse-driven games on the couch, especially slower ones like Xcom, Civ, Battlefleet Gothic or Cities Skylines.

I'm so glad the initial negativity wave has passed. This controller is a game changer and I use it pretty much everyday. It effectively turned my pc into a bad ass console with the kind of customization I could have only dreamed of as a kid. The trackpad concept was something I was desperately looking for. For years I had tried so many shitty controllers that tried to do what the steam controller does, but never ever got close. Adding gyro to the mix elevated it to top tier status. For me, it's the logical conclusion of the two handed controller.

Steam Controller stuff relating to the new Vulkan update in Doom:
Was kind of hoping this was pointing at native support, but nope. Oh well. Not that it's a big deal, since the game works fine as-is.

I think it varies just because there's no real order or direction in terms of setting up the controller. I bought it at launch, and I learned the trackpad pretty quickly. However, I only recently discovered that disabling smoothing and then adjusting the trackpad and in game sensitivity to account for jitter was best for aim, and that's when the controller finally shined for me. I'm surprised I stuck around for so long, honestly, and can't blame people for bailing on the controller.

I do hope that by the release of the second revision, there is more of a standard in terms of genre binds, and better bind curating in general, so nobody gets lost when they pick up the device. I've introduced the controller to my siblings now that I'm confident about my configs, and they picked up trackpad aiming after only about 30 minutes. They question analog aiming in console games now, as well. Sadly, you just can't get that consistency from community bindings right now.

T-Matt

I haven't ventured into many game styles with the controller but it has been perfect for my first dark souls play through. I used a ds4 for the first ten hours and steam controller ever since which was a huge upgrade for enjoyment and ability. Made my purchase instantly gratifying. A fps might have had a rougher start for me. Love the flexibility aspect.

Nabs

Is experimental rumble working for most of you guys? I remember it working fine for me when the update first came out a few months ago, but I just noticed it wasn't working anymore. Hasn't for a little while, now that I think about it. Not sure how long, though. I tried different games and messed around with the settings and I can't get it to work at all. Is this a known issue or something?

It's been working fine on my end. I'm currently using it in games like DOOM, Wind Waker, and Oxenfree.

Unai

Was kind of hoping this was pointing at native support, but nope. Oh well. Not that it's a big deal, since the game works fine as-is.

Isn't that native support, though? If I understood if right, the game will recognize the Steam Controller and show the correct prompts. Games that accept a mix of controller and mouse/keyboard inputs in legacy mode have the problem of switching to xbox prompts when you press a button and going back to mouse and keyboards prompts when you move the mouse. This update should fix this for Doom.

I didn't play Doom yet, so maybe I got something wrong.

Isn't that native support, though? If I understood if right, the game will recognize the Steam Controller and show the correct prompts. Games that accept a mix of controller and mouse inputs in legacy mode have the problem of switching to xbox prompts when you press a button and going back to mouse and keyboards prompts when you move the mouse. This update should fix this for Doom.

I didn't play Doom yet, so maybe I got something wrong.
While that is a nice workaround, it's not /really/ native support. Valve titles are probably the best example of native integration, as the games are 1:1 with the configuration tool. DOOM's SC support is just basically mouse+gamepad with forced Xbox One prompts. For example, one issue in its current state is that map navigation is limited; since the right pad is mapped to mouse, you can't really do any of the right stick functions within the map screen. Native support would get around this, since it could just force the right pad as analog for the map screen. Again, it's not a big deal, I just got excited over nothing, haha. It will probably be a long while until native support is common.

Unai

Oh, I see. I guess it is native support technically, because the game does recognize it and act according on it. They just didn't implement these functions you're talking about.

saunderez

While that is a nice workaround, it's not /really/ native support. Valve titles are probably the best example of native integration, as the games are 1:1 with the configuration tool. DOOM's SC support is just basically mouse+gamepad with forced Xbox One prompts. For example, one issue in its current state is that map navigation is limited; since the right pad is mapped to mouse, you can't really do any of the right stick functions within the map screen. Native support would get around this, since it could just force the right pad as analog for the map screen. Again, it's not a big deal, I just got excited over nothing, haha. It will probably be a long while until native support is common.

Yeah for it to be truly native support the game needs to flag to the controller when to change action sets.

Unai

Holy shit, I just found out something that's literally a game changer for Dark Souls 2. Well, at least for me.

This game has an weird issue using either the Steam Controller or the Xbox One Controller (I didn't test others) where slight changes in the direction of the left stick wouldn't apply in game. It was almost like if the game only had 8 directions instead of 360 (not literally 8 but far less them it was supposed to hame).

Adjusting the anti-deadzone setting in the Steam Controller fix this, making it control just like Dark Souls 1 and 3.

FLD

It's been working fine on my end. I'm currently using it in games like DOOM, Wind Waker, and Oxenfree.

Shit :/ Well, guess I'll have to figure out what's wrong with it. Haptics are working fine otherwise, so I don't think it's faulty or anything...

edit: Well, now I'm confused. Messed around a bit and it started working again after switching back to the beta client (I had switched because of Disgaea's launch issues). I'm back to the regular now and it's still working but it definitely wasn't last night. Weird. Guess it's still kinda wonky.

Holy shit, I just found out something that's literally a game changer for Dark Souls 2. Well, at least for me.

This game has an weird issue using either the Steam Controller or the Xbox One Controller (I didn't test others) where slight changes in the direction of the left stick wouldn't apply in game. It was almost like if the game only had 8 directions instead of 360 (not literally 8 but far less them it was supposed to hame).

Adjusting the anti-deadzone setting in the Steam Controller fix this, making it control just like Dark Souls 1 and 3.

Hmm, might be why I'm having trouble changing targets while locked on. Works fine in 1 and 3 but not in 2. I'll give it a shot, thanks for posting!

edit: Yeah, that did the trick. Thanks again!

Did I miss haptic feedback being removed from the left pad when in dpad or button mode? The option is just inexplicably not there - trying to set up Elite Dangerous controls and I'm baffled as it was one of my favorite features.

Nabs

Did I miss haptic feedback being removed from the left pad when in dpad or button mode? The option is just inexplicably not there - trying to set up Elite Dangerous controls and I'm baffled as it was one of my favorite features.

Haptic options for buttons are found in the activator menu now. Click on the dpad shortcut and hit the back button to bring it up.

Christine

I am really enjoying the controller for Legend of Grimrock. I mean I guess you could argue that the game should just have more key bindings and therefore play better with dual stick controllers by default but now that shit doesn't matter at all.

Nzyme32

Shadow of Mordor has been amazing with the controller once I've gone into the settings and upped the mouse aim and camera speed, but on occasion I can start the game and find the sensitivity of the mouse aim and camera speed to be extremely low till you interact with a character, after which point it will fix itself... no idea why that happens so rarely or at all.

Also it seem that the recommended setup which is simply using gamepad and mouse simultaneously, loses the right stick features in the menu since the mouse operates differently and needs left and right click to do the same things. The easy fix I did was to use an Action Set and make one that only appeared when the mouse cursor was on screen, letting use the left and right mouse on the triggers. Thankfully using any controller button other than those will remove the mouse cursor and put you straight back to the standard controller setup.

Nabs

Yo, belmonkey, I think you'll like this one:

Steam Beta - 7/14

• Added "Set Cursor Position" binding controller action. This allows an arbitrary X/Y position to be moved to on a button press and optionally warp back to the original position on release. When combined with a click via either multi-binding or an additional activator, allows for on-screen UI to be bound to buttons even if they have no hotkey.
  • Multiple Set Cursor Position inputs can be multi-bound to a single button allowing cursor position binding cycling.
  • Scroll wheel Mode on Joystick now ignores the joystick returning to the center position when doing horizontal/vertical scrolling. This allows for bindings to be cycled through scroll wheel on left/right or up/down taps.
  • Added Gyro Button Behavior setting. Allows for the Gyro Enable Button to be flipped to be a Gyro Disable Button, so gyro is disabled while the specified button is held, but otherwise on all the time.
  • Fix for broken configurations where modes could be attached to sources that don’t support them which caused errors in both the UI and in behavior.
  • Fix for Double Press activator not working in certain games.
  • Fix for Interruptible activators not interrupting in a few specific scenarios.

Another great update.

Nzyme32

Yo, belmonkey, I think you'll like this one:

Steam Beta - 7/14

• Added "Set Cursor Position" binding controller action. This allows an arbitrary X/Y position to be moved to on a button press and optionally warp back to the original position on release. When combined with a click via either multi-binding or an additional activator, allows for on-screen UI to be bound to buttons even if they have no hotkey.
  • Multiple Set Cursor Position inputs can be multi-bound to a single button allowing cursor position binding cycling.
  • Scroll wheel Mode on Joystick now ignores the joystick returning to the center position when doing horizontal/vertical scrolling. This allows for bindings to be cycled through scroll wheel on left/right or up/down taps.
  • Added Gyro Button Behavior setting. Allows for the Gyro Enable Button to be flipped to be a Gyro Disable Button, so gyro is disabled while the specified button is held, but otherwise on all the time.
  • Fix for broken configurations where modes could be attached to sources that don’t support them which caused errors in both the UI and in behavior.
  • Fix for Double Press activator not working in certain games.
  • Fix for Interruptible activators not interrupting in a few specific scenarios.

Another great update.

Hope this fixes the issues with the menu usage in Witcher 2, but kind of doubtful on that.

Also I've found specific desktop programs where the Steam Controller's mouse usage is stopped for reasons I don't understand. This includes MSI Afterburner and Asus AI Suite 3. Really annoying to have to fetch the mouse just for those.

• I didn't know I wanted this! That's a great addition.
    Also I've found specific desktop programs where the Steam Controller's mouse usage is stopped for reasons I don't understand. This includes MSI Afterburner and Asus AI Suite 3. Really annoying to have to fetch the mouse just for those.

If you set Steam to run as Administrator, this issue will stop. It may (rarely) cause problems in games though.

Top Bottom