• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Iorv3th

I have tried all of that. When is the left pad supposed to provide feedback? I get haptic feedback using the stick and using the right pad, but nothing from the left pad. Does it only provide feedback under certain conditions? Can you have haptic feedback enabled for both pads at once?

I didn't have feedback on it either, but I think it is because the games I was playing didn't have it set to use it since it was just used for menu shortcuts or quick items and not for movement. If that makes sense. The right one and the joystick had haptics though.

epmode

How can you actually increase the strength of the haptic feedback effect? I don't see an option for it in Configure Controller. Testing with Portal 2.

Neoxon

How does one enable Splatoon-esque camera controls for games using the Steam Controller? I'm a bit spoiled by how well the gyro-based camera works in that game.

I made a couple of modifications to Krej's MGSV binding. I used the two-stage left trigger to have the analog pull be aim (like he has), but a full pull be look down iron sights. My one gripe is that if you release the full pull but only past the click, it doesn't go back to aim.

I'm having a lot of fun tinkering with configurations though. The two-stage triggers are awesome and now I wish my HOTAS had them.

Can I mode shift the shoulder buttons?

Working on prison architect setup. I like the shoulder buttons being zoom in and out, but I'd really like to maybe have them shift to UI zoom ( - and + ) while the select button is held.

Is that possible?

Working on prison architect setup. I like the shoulder buttons being zoom in and out, but I'd really like to maybe have them shift to UI zoom ( - and + ) while the select button is held.

Is that possible?

Slightly OT, but are you comfy couching with that game? Is there a UI scale option?

I have tried all of that. When is the left pad supposed to provide feedback? I get haptic feedback using the stick and using the right pad, but nothing from the left pad. Does it only provide feedback under certain conditions? Can you have haptic feedback enabled for both pads at once?

It is supposed to provide haptic feedback just like the right pad.
I'm having a similar issue as you.

I was just playing Rocket League and was only getting intermittent feedback which made it very difficult to use. I didn't try fixing it by cycling on / off etc so just went back to using the stick. I need to get it fixed though as I much prefer the position of the pad.

Rocket League seems to work fine either way though. I changed the official bindings a bit to move buttons off the ABXY though so now for example, right trigger still accelerates, but a full click makes it boost. Seems to work well like that and makes sense when playing.

It honestly works fine out of the box, it's just so different from other controllers people are used to it's going to take some relearning. The customized profiles will become more popular over time, but for now, the defaults work as intended, you just might need to tweak somethings here and there (sensitivity, etc.).

It seems to me that part of the attraction of this controller is that it's been created as a kind of community platform, giving players themselves the tools to work out and share vast numbers of different configurations to reach a handful of optimal settings on a per-game basis. This takes time, but for many people they can easily see the main payoff coming a bit further down the line.

Edit - this was more aimed at the earlier poster questioning the controller's attraction.

Can anyone here recommend a good CS:GO configuration? Probably something with a trackball rather than mouse by the sounds of others feedback in this thread.
The ones I've tried so far are rubbish.

Slightly OT, but are you comfy couching with that game? Is there a UI scale option?

Yes. Steam Link on my 70" in the living room. UI is completely playable at the default size, but a click or two bigger would be nice. ( + and - scale the UI)

And so far Prision Architect works amazingly well with the Steam Controller.

It seems to me that part of the attraction of this controller is that it's been created as a kind of community platform, giving players themselves the tools to work out and share vast numbers of different configurations to reach a handful of optimal settings on a per-game basis. This takes time, but for many people they can easily see the main payoff coming a bit further down the line.

I think at some point, there will be so many 'community bindings' that are so similar, Valve might have to look at creating a 'curated' set of bindings which averages the settings on the top 100 bindings to create a good base to start with for each game.

kinn

Bit of a dumb question but does the left touchpad have haptic feedback? I've seen it in the options but I've yet to feel/hear anything. The right touchpad is fine however.

I have the same issue. Anyone?

Had the same issue except for the right touchpad doesn't work for me.Think we have had faulty units. I assume you guys have tried removing and inserting the batteries, rebooted pc\controller, tried different games, changed the haptic feedback strength in the setting etc.

Ive emailed Valve about the issue and hope I can get a replacement unit. Guess it means more waiting!

kinn

In Big Picture go to -> Settings -> Controller -> Steam Controller (Press Y)

There you can test the controllers functions.

They should include an option to check the haptic feedback here also. Users could find out if they are working ok.

epmode

Man, this shit is glitchy. Steam will often tell me there are no community bindings and will forget about my own stored bindings until I relaunch Steam. It also sometimes forgets to apply changes I've made. Then there are the Steam crashes when switching to and away from the controller screen in BPM.

And I'm having some crazy audio delay problems with the Link even though video and controls are perfectly responsive.

Not having a good Valve day.

Bit of a dumb question but does the left touchpad have haptic feedback? I've seen it in the options but I've yet to feel/hear anything. The right touchpad is fine however.

I thought I had the same problem until I reconfigured the left touchpad in Portal 2 to match the settings from the right pad. Works fine. I just wish there was a way to increase the strength of the haptic feedback effect. (Please tell me I'm just missing it)

Mac users currently don't have a good time. So much that Valve gifted them the Valve complete pack. They're pushing out updates to make it better.

Damn, I'm thinking about picking it up but I thought that would probably be the case - is anyone regularly updating with their experiences with it on a mac?

Is that possible?

Iirc triggers, bumpers, grips can't be mode shifted. Maybe in a future update.

So far its exactly as I expected. Each day I'm getting a little more comfortable with it and the community bindings are coming through now as well.

For now I'll be holding onto my xbone controller for games that are designed for native dualstick control (at least until I'm 100% happy with the steam controller). But it really shines with non controller games, playing papers please and sim city 4 on the TV is amazingly easy and intuitive. From that POV its opened up a whole section of my games library that was previously off limits for my living room PC.

Gonna try team fortress 2 later, never played it before so it should be interesting!

Nzyme: thanks for the tip on emulating the right stick, that improved it big time.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I beat Mega Man 1 with it and played through most of the point and click adventure game Goodbye to Deponia.

I actually had more success with Mega Man with this controller's D-pad than my 360 controller. Granted that's a really low bar to pass but it does pass it. Maybe someday I'll get a controller with a proper d-pad but for now I'll probably keep using this. There is the occasional time for a split second where you accidentally press left when you mean to press right, and visa versa, but it's not that common and I probably just need to get used to it more. By default the jump and fire buttons are on the back buttons as well as the face buttons, and it's a little more comfortable to use those, but I don't think they perform as well as the face buttons.

It worked just as I hoped for goodbye to deponia. I'll probably continue to use this controller for point and click adventures. Mouse is still prefered but it does a far better job at moving a mouse cursor around than a joystick does.

I still want to try a shooter too see if the aiming is quicker or more accurate than a joystick, and an RTS to see if that's even possible.

My biggest complaint is that it's just uncomfortable to use the joystick and face buttons at all. I just don't get why there a curvature forward on the handles which feels like it gets in the way of the joystick and buttons.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, this shit is glitchy. Steam will often tell me there are no community bindings and will forget about my own stored bindings until I relaunch Steam. It also sometimes forgets to apply changes I've made. Then there are the Steam crashes when switching to and away from the controller screen in BPM.

And I'm having some crazy audio delay problems with the Link even though video and controls are perfectly responsive.

Not having a good Valve day.

I thought I had the same problem until I reconfigured the left touchpad in Portal 2 to match the settings from the right pad. Works fine. I just wish there was a way to increase the strength of the haptic feedback effect. (Please tell me I'm just missing it)
I've seen at least one other post (unless that was you in the other thread) about audio delay on Steam Link. I also saw someone saying they turned the quality down and back up, and eventually everything settled down. Maybe interference or something.

It does replace the 360 controller for me. It's far more precise and offers more buttons. My 360 controller is already unplugged and in a drawer.

There is going to be a learning curve for some people, especially if you grew up in the dual analog era. For me it's old times, learning a new controller system.

Huh. I just can't see myself getting past no analog sticks...for FPS primarily. Everything else I could probably adapt to.

I'll approach it with an open mind though.

Sorcerer

Is there anyway to bring up the onscreen keyboard with a button or binding, without having to use the Steam button to find it in the menu?

epmode

I've seen at least one other post (unless that was you in the other thread) about audio delay on Steam Link. I also saw someone saying they turned the quality down and back up, and eventually everything settled down. Maybe interference or something.

Unfortunately, changing stream quality doesn't help. It's weird, some games are fine but something like The Talos Principle introduces a .75 second audio delay that hangs around even after quitting the game. It only goes away when I relaunch the streaming session.

But this isn't the thread for that.

is there anyone with a good configuration for Diablo 3? I'm loving the controller after the "learning curve" and if I could find a good config for D3 I might never leave my gaming room.

jboss

Neo Member

For some odd reason, because Portal 2 has native Steam Controller mapping, it doesn't give an option to change the haptic strength. This seems like a bug, or at least an oversight on their part. On every other game I've played, which had either community bindings or ones I set up myself, I was able to adjust the haptic strength on everything.

Cleve

Man, as a mouse replacement for general pc use on the couch it's kicking huge ass for me, but there's definitely going to be a learning curve for me in games that hasn't existed with controllers for a very long time.

ChaosDent

How does one enable Splatoon-esque camera controls for games using the Steam Controller? I'm a bit spoiled by how well the gyro-based camera works in that game.

Go to the gyro page (the empty space just below the controller). Set input style to Mouse. Turn Trackball off. Turn Gyro Enable Button to "Always on" this is hidden behind the Advanced button, so you need to use the thumb stick to navigate to it. Go to advanced and lower "sensitivity vertical scale" about 25%.

You should have working, always on gyro aiming now. You'll probably need to go back in and adjust the sensitivity settings to taste. I prefer to have the right pad set to trackball mode with a relatively high sensitivity and the gyro enabled as above with a little lower than the default sensitivity.

I haven't figured out a way to replicate the y button centering from Splatoon, so you need to keep vertical aim on the track pad. One alternative is, rather than have a gyro enable feature as the default suggests, you can use the mode shifting feature to create a gyro disable button if you want so you can recenter your position. Neither option is really necessary since you can always use the trackball to recenter your aim.

Crayon

It's amazing to be using a really new controller. If I'm going to say some things about it after an hour of mixed use, I would say:

-The learning curve is real and be prepared for your hard earned mousing and thumbstick skills to go in the bin. That said, the glimmers of acclimation I am seeing are very promising. The moments when it feels natural are becoming more frequent and it seems like it will work nicely, but out of the box I'm was playing like someone who never handled a controller. Cant aim, cant turn strait, keep looking at the floor/ceiling. And it doesn't take just a few minutes to shake off. It's going to take days or more of practice.

-The on the fly per game setup ability is a revelation. At first I was messing around with presets and community profiles and that stuff just isnt there yet. But once I got into manual setup I was surprised at how easy and flexible the mapping is. If you realize you missed a key, you can have it patched up in about 30 seconds in the overlay.

-I find the ergonomics very comfortable but still getting used to them. While I can reach the stick and face buttons from the trackpads, I find that a slight rotation of the wrist on either hand makes the face buttons/stick fall under the thumb and the trackpad is now a bit of a reach instead. I don't know if this is intentional but the delineation of the glossy and texture on the grips trace the exact movement of my hand when I adjust my grip. This reminds my of the n64 controller where you can change grips, but a very subtle movement that leaves all controls accessible.

-The trackpad click noise. What the fuck. Why the fuck . Why so loud. Someone please mod this. Maybe I will.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember being fascinated by the original stories of it being used as a virtual dpad and buttons in platformers...but trying that out myself was really awkward. Sounded like magic buttons appeared when I read about it, but it didn't end up feeling too different from just remembering my positions on a flat surface.

The best feedback I got from the left pad was when I used the onscreen keyboard. Try searching the Steam Store for example.

I'm struggling to find the haptic system's usefulness in-game however. I'm not sure if it's my unit, or the games I've tried, or the configs, or what.

I've been messing around with it and had some pretty decent results. Pillars of Eternity is definitely very easy to control, which should mean all the Infinity engine games should likewise be easy to play with the Steam controller. I just used the recommended WASD+Mouse settings then changed all the WASD on the analog to move the camera instead as a directional pad. Works pretty well.

Marvel Heroes 2015 I'm still playing around with getting the right settings. There's a couple community templates out there and one works all right. I would really like to get the analog stick to control the movement but it's proving a challenge. Holding right trigger while moving around on the right pad is still pretty easy to use, but I'd like to use the analog stick to move. If I set the analog to mouse it doesn't move the cursor that far out around the center, it's in a weird off shaped rectangle of sorts that gradually heads in one direction until you correct it with the right pad. Did the same thing when I tried to use it PoE then gave up ;), for now.

Civ 5 is flawless. I played it last night and used the official bindings from Firaxis and I think I had to adjust the sensitivity on one thing but other than that it was perfect. Definitely a game that shines with the controller.

I tried Wasteland 2 Director's Cut (which has controller support now) as well but I couldn't get the Steam controller to work. It's probably(?) because I have a xbox 360 PC wireless controller, maybe it's detecting the dongle or something, and I didn't really want to be bothered to unhook it to check. Figured I'll just use the 360 controller. I tried all the settings in game, KB/mouse, Xbox, PS4, couldn't get the Steam controller to be recognized in-game.

Played the new Deus Ex 1 Revision Mod that just came out. Wow, it works really really well. Had to change a few settings but using that right pad in a first person game immediately felt good. I'm sure the (older) Thief games would be great with it.

Tales of Maj'Eyal actually works pretty well with it. The one issue I was having with it that I couldn't correct was in the game when you hold a keyboard key to go in a direction, if you hold it down you'll keep going in that direction. Whereas if I bind it to the analog stick I could only get it to move one square per press even when held in a specific direction. Even turning on repeat/turbo mode I couldn't get it to work. I'm sure there's some setting I just need to change. But even though the game has tons of hotkeys/giant hotbar it does have a right-click menu kind of like a radial so it actually works fairly well with the controller. It would take a lot of tweaking but it's definitely possible.

Colors

Neo Member
only have the pic of the mail

Hm. I didn't get that mail and I use Steam on my Mac almost exclusively. I don't really feel like playing Portal 2 right now so the controller is pretty useless for me at the moment. Are those emails still rolling out or is it worth contacting them about?

Red

In controller confit you can access gyro controls from the box pointing straight up at the controller from the bottom.

MaxiLive

Had the same issue except for the right touchpad doesn't work for me.Think we have had faulty units. I assume you guys have tried removing and inserting the batteries, rebooted pc\controller, tried different games, changed the haptic feedback strength in the setting etc.

Ive emailed Valve about the issue and hope I can get a replacement unit. Guess it means more waiting!

One way I've just quickly checked is opening the Steam controller keyboard overlay (search your games) haptic feedback was active for both touchpads there :)

Anyone try using the Steam controller as a GCN controller in Dolphin? There's a handful of a games that have different effects for when the L/R is pushed in a bit, and when it clicks. I thought that the Steam controller would be great for emulating that, but after playing with it a bit, I think maybe the Steam controller's range is a bit too narrow to use it like that?

Tobor

Huh. I just can't see myself getting past no analog sticks...for FPS primarily. Everything else I could probably adapt to.

I'll approach it with an open mind though.

Thats exactly the right approach. Keep an open mind. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.

rSpooky

Hmpf.. seems fedex lost track of my controller
I was scheduled for delivery yesterday , but then it went to back to "in transit" towards the local distro centre and no known delivery date. So I hope to still see it today , but not getting my hopes up. I am a tad annoyed by it, but first world problems I guess.

Few questions:

Can I use the Steam keyboard on the desktop? If I could I basically could use Steam controller for my work.

Can I change the bindings for the desktop?

Can my "trackball settings" be made persistent? Ie; any time that it's configured as a trackball, it will always behave the same? Or is that already the case?

I have my controller but haven't really had much oppurtunity to really test it out. Felt great for DS2 though.

Nzyme32

Fuck sake, I was getting really annoyed with the controller in Portal 2...... turned out it was set to motion controls and I somehow didn't notice, lol. Much more like I expect now that I switched profiles.

sk3

Banned
I'm definitely having a problem with the controller not responding for a second or two in multiple games. Even just trying out rocket league for a few minutes the left stick would stop responding in the menus for a few seconds, but then pick back up fine. In MGSV it was the right pad, in rocket league its the left stick.

SourBear

Banned
Really don't like the XYAB buttons. The X button is difficult to reach. There is just too much distance between the right trackpad and the X button. Finding myself wishing that they dropped the diamond layout for these buttons and instead positioned them along the left side of the right trackpad they would be much more comfortable and easier to hit.

Mobius 1

For now I'll be holding onto my xbone controller for games that are designed for native dualstick control (at least until I'm 100% happy with the steam controller). But it really shines with non controller games, playing papers please and sim city 4 on the TV is amazingly easy and intuitive.

playing papers please and sim city 4 on the TV is amazingly easy and intuitive.

sim city 4

I am sold.

Cartman86

Banned
God dammit this thing just keeps not turning on. After powering it down from PC or it auto turning off when Link is shut off it won't turn back on again unless I remove a battery and put it back in. Hope this is a firmware thing.

Top Bottom