• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

hollams

Gold Member
Anyone having issues mapping the right back paddle to the Xbox B button. I remap it but it doesn't appear to work. Tried multiple games..

Has anyone with giant gorilla hands tried it yet? How are the ergonomics? I find both Wii U controllers to be way too cramped making it impossible for me to hold down all the shoulder buttons at the same time.

TheFrza

Playing a mouse only game, HoMM III, the right pad is fantastic. I really like playing with the controller. I agree with the haptics comments though, it really doesn't add anything, other than some noise.

Foxyone

Is it likely that come 11/10 a large chunk of Steam games will have decent community configurations for people getting controllers then to just jump right in and play without much issue?

Exuro

Turn on Steam overlay, if off. Turn off and on the controller. If that doesn't work, restart your computer. Worked for me.
Restarting the computer seemed to help. It's working when I'm actually playing the game but not in the menus. Have to use keyboard for that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, I may not love a lot about this thing, but I seriously love the sensation of spinning a trackball with the right pad, and the haptic soft click on the triggers. Just feels way chiller than using another controller, like less effort or something. Too bad so many other things on this are clunky.

I've been waiting anxiously for Lucas Pope's new game Obra Dinn, and I bet it'll be mouse keyboard only, so I can't wait to play it with this on my TV.

So playing mgsv with one of the community mappings and from time to time the control will get stuck in one direction for like 1 minute making snake walk in that direction, very annoying, any ideas?

Blizzard

Banned
Do you see the controller in the settings wheel,under controller now,you know where it asks to press X while powering on the controller...? if I plug back my 360 controller,it sees it there....but I will try what you said in a minute.
I'm not sure what you mean. Where do you see the thing about pressing X, and what settings wheel?

Unrelated question, does anyone have tips for not moving the mouse when you left click? The default right trigger = left click messes me up since I somehow keep moving the mouse when I try to reach for the trigger. Maybe if I used my index finger for the right trigger it would work better.

So I've been playing a little of Portal 2 and I had an issue with the Valve configuration.

When I rest my thumb on the right track pad it's like it flickers the cursor slightly like I'm slowly moving it, even though I'm not moving my thumb at all.

Is it just a deadzone issue?

Deadstar

So I've been playing a little of Portal 2 and I had an issue with the Valve configuration.

When I rest my thumb on the right track pad it's like it flickers the cursor slightly like I'm slowly moving it, even though I'm not moving my thumb at all.

happens to me too. not sure if its just portal that does that.

Are you using the second Valve configuration for motion controls? The controller accelerometer turns on when you touch the right pad in that configuration profile. Otherwise, can you tweak the dead zone?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The new Tex Murphy game is a great example of a game that's really tricky to make an xpadder profile for because it mixes mousing and fps, but this thing makes it kind of a dream to play. Any explorative first person games should feel great with this.

So playing mgsv with one of the community mappings and from time to time the control will get stuck in one direction for like 1 minute making snake walk in that direction, very annoying, any ideas?

This is a bug in the game with how inputs are buffered. It's rarely triggered when using an actual keyboard because you don't roll over the WASD so much, but when using WASD bound to an analog stick it happens more frequently. Here is a thread on the Steam forums about it: http://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/527274088382106099/

A quick fix is to just tap the same direction that it is stuck moving, that will usually fix it.

Blizzard

Banned
I've decided with big hands, the triggers feel really uncomfortable to press in combination with the trackpads. The first section of my right middle finger sits directly on the right trigger for example.

This means if I want to pull the right trigger to click the mouse, I have to contort my hand inwards, moving both the middle and ring fingers at the same time to change the shape of my palm.

Otherwise, if I try to put my middle fingertip on the right trigger for example, sticking my right thumb off up into space away from the pad, it feels like I have to force my right hand into a claw shape bending my palm outwards and the fingers in towards the controller. This feels like it would give me carpal tunnel or something really quickly.

Is there a good solution for big hands? Only using the index fingers for the triggers and giving up on the buttons maybe?

I'm also really struggling to do any mouse clicks without moving the cursor. Either I keep my thumb on the right pad, which moves the mouse as I try to press a trigger, or I lift my thumb off...which moves the mouse because of my thumb letting off the pad. I can try to do the ballerina thing by crooking my thumb, but that seems like it would end with carpal tunnel or something again because the crooked thumb shape is really unnatural, and you have to strain it to hold it precisely and then lift it precisely vertically off the pad. The haptic tick effect feels like it makes it worse by vibrating the pad slightly, causing micro mouse movements on liftoff.

Awakened

The triggers would be more comfortable attack buttons than the grips. I usually map the grips to secondary/tertiary functions or a run modifier, for example. For something like Megaman your most comfortable setup would be jumping on right pad click and firing on the right trigger in my experience.
I guess that could work, though I don't think I've ever tried using analog triggers for attacks. If you get enough feedback from barely tapping them it could be OK. But enough people have said the trackpad clicks take too much force that I don't think they'd feel great to use as giant A or B buttons. Without having one to try myself I can't say for sure. The click sound they make in videos doesn't sound very satisfying.

mattiewheels

Anyone know why trying to wasd with the left pad in Oblivion is resulting in a crawling speed as opposed to normal?

Blizzard

Banned
In big picture mode, I don't see a way to enable/disable the Steam overlay. This apparently means that for games I'd disabled it on, I have to go back to desktop mode to change them over in order to use the controller configuration.

My first Mirror's Edge attempt did not go well. I used the top community config, but the A button immediately stopped working as soon as I tried to select a level. I couldn't get ingame.

Blizzard

Banned
Asking in this thread as well since lots of people are presumably using big picture mode with the controller:

This is apparently an old issue, but I'm struggling with it trying to use big picture mode for the Steam controller.

17410_2015-10-18_00004oy99.png

With a 1680x1050 monitor, is there any way to force the Steam overlay to be crisp ingame instead of blurry and scaled? I'm already using the -fulldesktopres launch parameter which does not seem to make any difference.

*edit* I should point out that this is Windows 7 if it makes any difference.
I've tried -fulldesktopres on the shortcut, and disabling DPI scaling on the shortcut, but neither affects the Mirror's Edge ingame overlay at all.

City 17

Can it be use as a regular xinput controller?

Can anyone confirm this?

I don't have the controller yet (waiting for Nov. 10th), but even if it does, that'd be against the design philosophy of the controller as Xinput doesn't offer configuration for the trackpads, sensitivity, mouse look, trackball mode, haptic feedback and whatnot, and without those features it'd be kinda pointless/worse than other controllers.

Eusis

Is there any way to look at Steam Controller condos without a Steam Controller, or no? Wanted to see that much at least but I see no options even where they show up for others.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just mapped out a basic control setup for Onimusha 3 Demon Siege.

I used this setup and these aren't mine I just used them for reference.
http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/images_v5/attachment_images/5915.jpg
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214652459

I mapped WASD to the left circular pad and to the joystick. What frustrates me the most is that I'm not sure on if it's possible to get the left circular pad to respond without having to press in. The right pad had me confused, so basically I had it back to traditional settings.

Otherwise it's sorta pointless.. I should save my clicks and use another controller.

I didn't use the left circular pad for DOOM 3 except to swap weapons. It would be nice to have the fluid camera though with the directional buttons, but I'm not aware on how the mapping would work for that. All I see are button assignments and the left side is mostly mapping WASD.

I'm installing a few other titles to see how it works. I saved my profile for the mapping and made it public, but I don't see it anywhere. It keeps going back to private, but I've also had my profile private for some weird reason except for friends.

Anyone know why trying to wasd with the left pad in Oblivion is resulting in a crawling speed as opposed to normal?

Not 100% sure, but did you set it to do something else when you assigned it? There's the equivalent to turbo mode or some sorta sensitive setting in there. Maybe you hit it or changed it. I'd look to see if you didn't enter it in by default or keep making changes to get back to default mapping. Otherwise I don't know.

I have still yet to find a single game in which gamepad support works. RE4, REmake HD, DMC4 SE, Transformers Devastation, King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match all suffer from completely busted button assignments and the wrong prompts. MGS5 has more buttons working than the other, I think, but they're similarly broken and have keyboard icons. Same with Shovel Knight. In Skullgirls not only do none of the buttons work, but I couldn't even exit the game without alt-tabbing and closing the process.

So far every single game I've attempted to play, the controllers simply been mapped to broken inputs and shown the wrong inputs. Gamepad mode on all of them. Seems like the mode or big picture or something in between is simply universally broken.

EDIT: Just checked Amnesia as well, similarly broken, but at least the touchpad moves the mouse/look around.
So that's every single game I have installed that has controller support, none of them playable, all of them in completely broken states, all of them using the gamepad mode. What a great controller.

Blizzard

Banned
I have still yet to find a single game in which gamepad support works. RE4, REmake HD, DMC4 SE, Transformers Devastation, King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match all suffer from completely busted button assignments and the wrong prompts. MGS5 has more buttons working than the other, I think, but they're similarly broken and have keyboard icons. Same with Shovel Knight. In Skullgirls not only do none of the buttons work, but I couldn't even exit the game without alt-tabbing and closing the process.

So far every single game I've attempted to play, the controllers simply been mapped to broken inputs and shown the wrong inputs. Gamepad mode on all of them. Seems like the mode or big picture or something in between is simply universally broken.

EDIT: Just checked Amnesia as well, similarly broken, but at least the touchpad moves the mouse/look around.
So that's every single game I have installed that has controller support, none of them playable, all of them in completely broken states, all of them using the gamepad mode. What a great controller.
Did you update the firmware with the wired cable (launch big picture mode), make sure you're running big picture mode before launching games, and make sure that the Steam overlay works when the game is running?

I don't think I own a single game you mentioned or I would compare my results with yours. The default recommended gamepad mode seemed to work fine with Mirror's Edge but that's all I really tried thus far. *edit* I own Skullgirls but it would take an hour to install. Let me know if you want me to try it.

Did you update the firmware with the wired cable (launch big picture mode), make sure you're running big picture mode before launching games, and make sure that the Steam overlay works when the game is running?

I don't think I own a single game you mentioned or I would compare my results with yours. The default recommended gamepad mode seemed to work fine with Mirror's Edge but that's all I really tried thus far. *edit* I own Skullgirls but it would take an hour to install. Let me know if you want me to try it.

I had Steam Overlay disabled. When I turned it on, gamepad emulation works, though god this controller feels awful with it. Why in the god damn hell is overlay required?

EDIT: Also what menu are people using to turn off this haptic feedback? The controllers loud enough as is and it feels awful.

EDIT 2: Also, how do you turn the controller off without turning on big picture mode?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People are having problems with the dongle being stuck in the extender: http://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/490123197947766304/#p1

There's no easy way to yank the thing out. It's like driving a piece of metal that doesn't necessarily fit your machine into your machine just because you can.

I was worried I was going to break the USB adapter a few times. It doesn't feel like thumbdrives do. I make sure to look at the placement of the board before I put it in anything. The dongle is like the sword in the stone. Lol

MNC

Not having gyro activate with a Trigger seems like a giant oversight. I love how fucking accurate it is though. Tried playing around with Gyro mouse and it felt REALLY natural.

Blizzard

Banned
I had Steam Overlay disabled. When I turned it on, gamepad emulation works, though god this controller feels awful with it. Why in the god damn hell is overlay required?

EDIT: Also what menu are people using to turn off this haptic feedback? The controllers loud enough as is and it feels awful.

EDIT 2: Also, how do you turn the controller off without turning on big picture mode?

It seems that whatever system Steam uses to track controller configurations uses the overlay -- you can't get to the controller configuration menu without going to the overlay, for example.

The gamepad felt pretty decent to me in Mirror's Edge. What exactly feels bad about it to you, if I may ask?

I'll cancel my Skullgirls installation since you seem to have it working.

I don't know any way to turn the controller off without turning on big picture mode, unfortunately.

It seems that whatever system Steam uses to track controller configurations uses the overlay -- you can't get to the controller configuration menu without going to the overlay, for example.

I'll cancel my Skullgirls installation since you seem to have it working.

Know how to turn off haptic feedback? People are posting these in depth edits and I'm baffled as to what menu allows them.

EDIT: To answer your question about the feel.

1. The controller is gigantic. It's legitimately difficult for me to reach the X button because I have small hands.
2. It's incredibly loud because it uses cheap as dirt parts.
3. Everything on it feels horrible and clicky and made out of cheap plastic.
4. Touchpad sensitivity is not only a mess, but it's a terrible right analog stick when trying to pan a camera.

Blizzard

Banned
Know how to turn off haptic feedback? People are posting these in depth edits and I'm baffled as to what menu allows them.

1. The controller is gigantic. It's legitimately difficult for my to reach the X button because I have small hands.
4. Touchpad sensitivity is not only a mess, but it's a terrible right analog stick when trying to pan a camera.
1. I have large hands so I have different issues -- sorry I can't help more.
2. I'm not convinced loudness is because of cheap parts -- an expensive part could also be loud. I suspect it's because of how it's designed.
3. "feels horrible" is subjective -- it certainly does have a learning curve compared to other controllers. I'm not sure about the cheap plastic -- the back feels cheap to me, but the rest feels reasonable.
4. I'm still experimenting with the right analog stick. It seems you're supposed to put the tip of your thumb in the middle, and then slide to one side if you want rotation. If you slide quickly to the edge, you can get faster rotation potentially.

In regard to haptic feedback etc., you should be able to get everything by bringing up the Steam overlay, selecting "Configure Controller", and selecting one of the categories. For example, if you select the right touchpad, you can change "Haptics Intensity" to "Off" and tap B a few times to go back to the game and try the difference. You can also look in "ADVANCED SETTINGS" for the right touchpad in the same category to adjust sliders and such.

a guide to modify desktop: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3p4im4/psa_steam_controller_desktop_controls_can_be/

and

I've been posting this around since I got a response from emailing the Steam hardware team, and I think it is worth knowing that they are aware of this. I asked about being able to edit the desktop controls (so we could set Left shoulder to Alt, and Right shoulder to Tab for alt-tabbing with the controller) and I got back:
We hope to allow users to customize their default desktop options sometime in the future. Prior I’ll review our current default options and see what we can do to make it a bit more versatile, such as adding in Alt as one of the buttons. We’ve been very focused on game and shortcut functionality, so perhaps the default desktop options need another visit.

And then later...

I’ve gone over the default desktop configuration and made a ton of tweaks to it. You should see it in Monday’s Steam update.

1. I have large hands so I have different issues -- sorry I can't help more.
2. I'm not convinced loudness is because of cheap parts -- an expensive part could also be loud. I suspect it's because of how it's designed.
3. "feels horrible" is subjective -- it certainly does have a learning curve compared to other controllers. I'm not sure about the cheap plastic -- the back feels cheap to me, but the rest feels reasonable.
4. I'm still experimenting with the right analog stick. It seems you're supposed to put the tip of your thumb in the middle, and then slide to one side if you want rotation. If you slide quickly to the edge, you can get faster rotation potentially.

In regard to haptic feedback etc., you should be able to get everything by bringing up the Steam overlay, selecting "Configure Controller", and selecting one of the categories. For example, if you select the right touchpad, you can change "Haptics Intensity" to "Off" and tap B a few times to go back to the game and try the difference. You can also look in "ADVANCED SETTINGS" for the right touchpad in the same category to adjust sliders and such.

I just don't get what this controller is for. It's a loud, bulky, cheap Xbox gamepad that feels like a third party mad catz controller circa 2001, or a slow, not nearly as good as a mouse and keyboard mouse replacement. Is there a particular game out there that people seem to be using as an example as to why this controller isn't just total junk?

As to the feels horrible comment, I dont know what to tell you. The instant I touched it it felt like a cheap third party knockoff. I've put it in two friends hands and they've immediately gone "oh, no, ew, this feels so cheap"

Cartman86

Banned

1. The controller is gigantic. It's legitimately difficult for me to reach the X button because I have small hands.

I've messed with the haptic stuff quite a bit in my own configs, but yeah there are some (specifically Valve's Portal 2 ones) that you just can't change it at all. I'm wondering if it's not an option for games that natively support the full controller API?

I've messed with the haptic stuff quite a bit in my own configs, but yeah there are some (specifically Valve's Portal 2 ones) that you just can't change it at all. I'm wondering if it's not an option for games that natively support the full controller API?

For haptic I actually didn't mean per game, I meant universally. It feels absolutely terrible even in the menus.

from the other thread

Ha! For those who were in the previous thread, where I was wishing I could have a "center click" on the facebuttons, it turns out I CAN! Mwuahahahaha. All I had to do was set it up as a Dpad, set it to buttons instead of directions, and then the outer ring function adjusted so that it was inverted. So now I can have 5 face buttons, which is awesome.

pretty clever

hepburn3d

I just don't get what this controller is for. It's a loud, bulky, cheap Xbox gamepad that feels like a third party mad catz controller circa 2001, or a slow, not nearly as good as a mouse and keyboard mouse replacement. Is there a particular game out there that people seem to be using as an example as to why this controller isn't just total junk?

As to the feels horrible comment, I dont know what to tell you. The instant I touched it it felt like a cheap third party knockoff. I've put it in two friends hands and they've immediately gone "oh, no, ew, this feels so cheap"

I can play coh2 from the couch now. Tried using a x360 controller and emulator and it was horrible. Tried using mouse and keyboard and couldn't get comfy, mouse sometimes dropped out due to distance, overall wasn't ideal. Now I sit comfortably and play my game no problem.

Blizzard

Banned

I think from the beginning, it's been an experimental gadget that makes it easier to play some games with a controller (couch usage) that don't play well with a controller.

For example, a mouse game like Civ V or an RPG like Pillars of Eternity might be easier with this than with a traditional controller for some people -- that's the niche Valve is aiming for I thought, not being strictly better than other controllers.

It doesn't sound like you'll keep the controller, but in case you do I do have one camera suggestion. Try changing "Stick Response Curve" to "Aggressive" for games where the right pad controls the camera, and it might feel a little more responsive to you.

I can play coh2 from the couch now. Tried using a x360 controller and emulator and it was horrible. Tried using mouse and keyboard and couldn't get comfy, mouse sometimes dropped out due to distance, overall wasn't ideal. Now I sit comfortably and play my game no problem.

So shooters then. Anything other than shooters this controller is actually worth using for?

I think from the beginning, it's been an experimental gadget that makes it easier to play some games with a controller (couch usage) that don't play well with a controller.

For example, a mouse game like Civ V or an RPG like Pillars of Eternity might be easier with this than with a traditional controller for some people -- that's the niche Valve is aiming for I thought, not being strictly better than other controllers.

It doesn't sound like you'll keep the controller, but in case you do I do have one camera suggestion. Try changing "Stick Response Curve" to "Aggressive" for games where the right pad controls the camera, and it might feel a little more responsive to you.

I actually tried Pillars of Eternity. It controlled like absolute junk. Wasteland 2s controller support is full orders of magnitude better. That being said, the speed of the camera change isn't the problem. The problem is that it's a touch pad emulating an analog sticks movement, which feels bizarre and doesn't have the natural feel of an analog stick or a mouse.

As for keeping it, of course I'm going to keep it. Hell I bought 2, just in case one broke. I'm just going to keep shitting on it on twitter and all the social media I can find until hopefully they improve this piece of junk or come out with a revision that doesn't feel like it's made out of 12 dollar plastic.

That being said, I ask again. What, non shooter games, actually benefit from this? The gamepad emulation technically works but feels totally pointless when you could just hook up a PS4 or Xbox One bad, both of which are vastly superior. Any mouse driven games that actually work in a comfortable way that won't just have me reaching for mouse and keyboard within 15 seconds?

The controller is for the touchpads, the grip buttons, and the customizability.

Try playing Civ V on the couch with your Xbone pad. You will find it impossible unless you use a third-party application to control mouse movement with one of the analog sticks. Then, you'll find it unbearable.

Also, this provides a vastly improved FPS control scheme for people who prefer pads to KB+M play.

CoH2 is an RTS....

Sorry, I'm tired. I misread that as Call of Duty 2.

The controller is for the touchpads, the grip buttons, and the customizability.

Try playing Civ V on the couch with your Xbone pad. You will find it impossible unless you use a third-party application to control mouse movement with one of the analog sticks. Then, you'll find it unbearable.

Also, this provides a vastly improved FPS control scheme for people who prefer pads to KB+M play.

CIV 5 isn't really playable on a couch, because of the incredibly small text size. Controller or not.

Also, vastly improved how?

Top Bottom