• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

By the way guys, I just realized that maybe some people don't realize it, but the placement of your dongle will in fact have a big difference in how it responds. The Steam Controller needs as good of a connection as it can get to avoid jitter and skipping. I've noticed that just having my controller in my lap under my desk (with the dongle on top of the desk) can have an effect at times. Then again, my desk also causes the DS4's audio stream to become intermittent, so maybe my desk just has lead in it.

ZOONAMI

By the way guys, I just realized that maybe some people don't realize it, but the placement of your dongle will in fact have a big difference in how it responds. The Steam Controller needs as good of a connection as it can get to avoid jitter and skipping. I've noticed that just having my controller in my lap under my desk (with the dongle on top of the desk) can have an effect at times. Then again, my desk also causes the DS4's audio stream to become intermittent, so maybe my desk just has lead in it.

Wait DS4 can do pc audio through headset port?

Nzyme32

I don't this is entirely true. When the controller came out in October, I tested the same scenario, dongle on desk, controller underneath - no difference. I also tested the controller at about 8ft away from the dongle and behind an almost closed door - still worked without issues. I haven't tested larger distances or other objects.

Having said that, someone else posted about simply moving their leg and getting a bit of interference, so who knows. I think that there is likely a difference when the dongle is connected direct to your computer (higher interference) vs the dock at a distance, but I'm not too sure on everything else

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I set up the controller to push keyboard buttons, opened up a text file, and walked outside my house.

I got about forty feet before it missed a press.

Tak3n

Banned
Ok, got mine today, and like a few of us I am ready to throw the damn thing out of the window...

Tried Rocket League and it was ok, did not feel it was any better than using a normal controller..

Black Ops 3, is where my FFS moments are coming, everytime I touch it it puts another character on the start screen, so there is two of me and I have to disable splitscreen using my mouse and not touch the steam controller, then I think it loads the default profile which is rubbish

anyone else having these issues?

Nabs

Ok, got mine today, and like a few of us I am ready to throw the damn thing out of the window...

Tried Rocket League and it was ok, did not feel it was any better than using a normal controller..

Black Ops 3, is where my FFS moments are coming, everytime I touch it it puts another character on the start screen, so there is two of me and I have to disable splitscreen using my mouse and not touch the steam controller, then I think it loads the default profile which is rubbish

anyone else having these issues?

It's not like RL works much better with a M/KB, so I don't see why you'd expect a massive improvement. Try something that puts the mouse to good use.

In Blops 3 you'll want to go into control > gamepad options and disable the 2nd player input entirely.

Tak3n

Banned
It's not like RL works much better with a M/KB, so I don't see why you'd expect a massive improvement. Try something that puts the mouse to good use.

In Blops 3 you'll want to go into control > gamepad options and disable the 2nd player input entirely.

True about RL, in BO3 I did that but everytime I touch the trackpad KB commands appear, if I touch a button Gamepad controls appear :(

I must be doing something stupid

Nabs

True about RL, in BO3 I did that but everytime I touch the trackpad KB commands appear, if I touch a button Gamepad controls appear :(

I must be doing something stupid

Just double check and make sure P2 is set to "None" under Gamepad controls. Once you do that you should be able to freely jump between control type.

KScorp

Did people tried it on Mac OS ? Especially for non-Steam games or other applications. Would love to play point&clicks with that, Simcity or even Dolphin (someone above said it worked so I guess I can configure it on Mac too even though I'm not good with that part.

I don't think the controller supports gamepad emulation on Mac OS yet. Emulating KB/M is fine, but it can't replace a gamepad yet. I can't find any source that says it was fixed, so I assume this is still an issue.

hepburn3d

Holy crap those touch controls!!! They've put so many icons in!!!!! This is so epic for games like CoH2. Loving making a config tonight :)

Eusis

Failing Bethesda hopefully it's something that can be modded in. It seems like an arbitrary restriction and hopefully it's not the kind of thing that's deceptively difficult to change.

morningbus

I don't think Fallout's controller stuff can be fixed by mods. It's part of the engine and there hasn't been a mod made for Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

What we should be asking for is implementation of the Steam controller Api, like with Talos.

Unai

I don't think Fallout's controller stuff can be fixed by mods. It's part of the engine and there hasn't been a mod made for Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

What we should be asking for is implementation of the Steam controller Api, like with Talos.

To be fair there was no need to have both control types up to now, so even if it is possible one can understand why there's no such mod for Fallout 3 or New Vegas. But yeah, maybe not.

morningbus

To be fair there was no need to have both control types up to now, so even if it is possible one can understand why there's no such mod for Fallout 3 or New Vegas. But yeah, maybe not.

There was plenty of reasons for the mod to exist before. You can't access the command line with the keyboard when playing with the gamepad, leading to an awkward shuffle between menus and devices when you'd have to fix something that's gone wrong.

Unai

There was plenty of reasons for the mod to exist before. You can't access the command line with the keyboard when playing with the gamepad, leading to an awkward shuffle between menus and devices when you'd have to fix something that's gone wrong.

Is that really plenty?

morningbus

Is that really plenty?
In Fallout 3, with NPCs who'd randomly disappear into purgatory before you could finish their quest, yeah, it was.

Is a patch for the controller really that necessary here, then? Just do a full keyboard bind.

ascully

Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere, I have a steam link and a steam controller but like to use the controller on both the pc and in the living room. Do I have to move the dongle from my office to the living room every time I want to use it?

Unai

Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere, I have a steam link and a steam controller but like to use the controller on both the pc and in the living room. Do I have to move the dongle from my office to the living room every time I want to use it?

You can connect your controllers to either the Steam Link or the host machine I believe, the only problem is that you have to be sure that it's not out of range when you are in your living room.

Edit: Oh, the Steam Link has a built in sensor, so it's even better. What I said it's true to the xbox controllers.

In Fallout 3, with NPCs who'd randomly disappear into purgatory before you could finish their quest, yeah, it was.

Is it really that necessary here, then? Just do a full keyboard bind.

It's not really necessary but it's a better reason.

morningbus

It's not really necessary but it's a better reason.

My point has been that it is a nontrivial amount of work that is probably outside the scope of a mod.

Modders use the command line, I'm sure they would have done on the fly switching if they could.

We're better off asking for native Steam controller support.

Eusis

My point has been that it is a nontrivial amount of work that is probably outside the scope of a mod.

Modders use the command line, I'm sure they would have done on the fly switching if they could.

We're better off asking for native Steam controller support.
It may not have been enough incenctive as one could go in the menu, turn off the controller, type the command in, and be on their way. May even exist but no one has really dig it up because... Well, how often did we need it?

Probably a matter of time. Native support is best, or at least acknowledging the desire and implementing the option for both to be on (or mouse + controller if they want to be weird.)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Didn't get an answer and am still curious so I'm asking again, sorry

Two questions.
1) what the heck are the differences between regular dpad, cross thingie, and analogue emulation. The emulation one just jitters for me. The regular d pad with or without overlap works great, and the cross one feels great too but I don't actually know if it's different which is weird

2) what are good settings for gyro if you just want light precision adjustments someone while using right pad as a mouse? The pad itself is amazingly accurate for me but I want to try this gyro.

Nabs

Didn't get an answer and am still curious so I'm asking again, sorry

Two questions.
1) what the heck are the differences between regular dpad, cross thingie, and analogue emulation. The emulation one just jitters for me. The regular d pad with or without overlap works great, and the cross one feels great too but I don't actually know if it's different which is weird

Load up a game and enable the Controller Hud. It'll show you the deadzones of the d-pad, and do a much better job of explaining things.

Nabs

New Beta

Steam Controller

• Added the ability to invoke the Big Picture keyboard on the desktop when Big Picture is minimized. Left Stick click to show the keyboard, X to toggle keyboard position around mouse cursor, B to dismiss the keyboard. The binding to show the keyboard will be made configurable in a future update.
  • Fixed custom desktop configurations not applying if a regular Steam window was in focus
  • Added Gyro Mouse & Gyro Mouse Joystick Lean bindings. You can use the non-aiming Gyro axis (generally roll) to bind two new actions when tilting on that axis. So an FPS could look with the gyro pitch and yaw, while leaning/dodging with the roll
  • Added Mouse Joystick Gyro Option to set relative movement of Gyro vs. Pad when using both together
  • Mouse Joystick now combines multiple inputs (such as trackpad + gyro) in a more intuitive way
  • Fixed Touch Menu binding screen not showing the icon picker immediately after adding a Touch Menu mode
  • Fixed multiple inputs going to a single joystick output not working on Mac
In-Home Streaming
  • Added game controller mouse emulation for game launchers, use right trigger to left click
  • Fixed one cause of black screen flashing during desktop capture

Hah, well here's a fun bug. When I use the keyboard on the desk top it adds another input for each time I've previously opened the keyboard. So use the keyboard 5 times and get each letter typed in 5 times.

viveks86

New Beta

Steam Controller

• Added the ability to invoke the Big Picture keyboard on the desktop when Big Picture is minimized. Left Stick click to show the keyboard, X to toggle keyboard position around mouse cursor, B to dismiss the keyboard. The binding to show the keyboard will be made configurable in a future update.
  • Fixed custom desktop configurations not applying if a regular Steam window was in focus
  • Added Gyro Mouse & Gyro Mouse Joystick Lean bindings. You can use the non-aiming Gyro axis (generally roll) to bind two new actions when tilting on that axis. So an FPS could look with the gyro pitch and yaw, while leaning/dodging with the roll
  • Added Mouse Joystick Gyro Option to set relative movement of Gyro vs. Pad when using both together
  • Mouse Joystick now combines multiple inputs (such as trackpad + gyro) in a more intuitive way
  • Fixed Touch Menu binding screen not showing the icon picker immediately after adding a Touch Menu mode
  • Fixed multiple inputs going to a single joystick output not working on Mac
In-Home Streaming
  • Added game controller mouse emulation for game launchers, use right trigger to left click
  • Fixed one cause of black screen flashing during desktop capture

Holy shit! How are they releasing features/tweaks on a daily basis?! Where is the time for code reviews, QA etc? o_O

They all sound good, so I ain't complaining as long as it works! :D

Mouse Joystick is getting better and better I see

• "Minimize Big Picture" is something that is added with this update, for those who may have been confused.

Happy to see updates address software criticisms from the community. One would hope the Steam Controller finds success to warrant a hardware successor what software can't fix.

Nzyme32

Holy shit! How are they releasing features/tweaks on a daily basis?! Where is the time for code reviews, QA etc? o_O

They all sound good, so I ain't complaining as long as it works! :D

Mouse Joystick is getting better and better I see

This is Steam and Valve we are talking about. Being the beta is the QA

Dare

Banned
The content in the OP of this thread blew me away.

I'm definitely getting a steam controller now and will probably be reading this thread over a few times.

Foxyone

"Minimize Big Picture" is something that is added with this update, for those who may have been confused.

It seems to crash steam + controller when I do that, although just alt tabbing seems to be ok-ish, and the keyboard does not seem to break many (if any) bindings, but opening the keyboard may have conflicted with what I previously had bound to the left stick click (slowly typed on a steam controller).

Lyon

I really didn't expect them to ever release the on screen keyboard for desktop use so this is a really nice surprise.

Although it doesn't actually work for me atm, beta be beta. Steam just hangs when I click minimise (Mac, will try windows tomorrow).

EDIT: Just realised you can just alt-tab out and try it. Performance was awful on my MacBook Pro, something like 3fps, made typing very hard.

Top Bottom